Susan's Place Logo

News:

According to Google Analytics 25,259,719 users made visits accounting for 140,758,117 Pageviews since December 2006

Main Menu

Washington State's transgender nondiscrimination restroom riules FAQ

Started by Donna, July 04, 2016, 01:11:15 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Donna

I am proud to live in Washingrton State, where the rights of transgender people to use the restroom that they are comfortable with using is protected.
http://www.hum.wa.gov/media/dynamic/files/223_Questions%20and%20Answers%20Regarding%20WAC%20162.pdf

Here is an excerpt:
Q:
How does a business know if someone is really transgender or is just pretending to be transgender in order to gain access to gender segregated facilities?

A:
The rules do not prohibit asking legitimate questions about a person's presence in a gender segregated facility.  It is suggested that these questions be asked in a polite and non-confrontational manner.  In addition, it is extremely unlikely that someone who is pretending to  be transgender, and who is ejected from a facility, will take the steps of filing a complaint or a  lawsuit against that facili ty.  If they do so, then the investigation conducted by an enforcement agency will uncover the fact that the person was not being honest about their status, and thus is not protected under the law against discrimination.  Any individual who fraudulently claims to be transgender for the purpose of entering a gender segregated facility in order to engage in illegal activitymay also be subject to criminal prosecution.

I have not visited most restrooms around Washington State, but I am gratified to know that my state law allows me to use a restroom that matches my gender presentation. When I go out feeling as a normal woman in a dress, I like to know that my state law says that I can use the ladies room when I have to pee. When I have to use the restroom it is for a body function, not to peek.
Unfortunately there have been many times when I have presented as a man at a urinal that some neanderthal next to me seems to want to peek at me while I pee.
  •  

Donna

By the way,  so far all my times using the ladies room while presenting as female in shopping malls in Washington state have not so much as raised any eyebrows (with the exception of my own nicely arched brows.)
  •  

Donna

If I am dressed a certain way, I pee a certain way.
Duh.
https://www.susans.org/wp-content/uploads/2016/07/washingtonwontdiscriminate.jpg
https://www.susans.org/2016/07/08/anti-transgender-forces-fail-washington-state/

I live here, I pee here. I don't look under the stall when I pee. I expect the next person does not look under the stall while I pee.
There are many, many gender neutral restrooms in Seattle and the surrounding area where I live.
When I have to go, I have to go.
  •  

Donna

I just got home from a dinner party that included a friend who is a local elementary school teacher here in the suburbs of Seattle. She reports that prior to the start of the 2016 fall school term all restrooms on school grounds have been converted to gender neutral restrooms with only sign changes. The restrooms that have urinals are OK for girls use and the restrooms without urinals are OK for boys to use. Only during the first few days of class did the teachers have to explain to the little girls what the urinals are for, and it is OK if boys and girls are in the same restroom at the same time. The school has had absolutely no issue at all.
I hope all school districts around the country have such an easy transition to the new restroom laws. No big deal so far to the little kids around here. They just don't care other than knowing that a pee place is just to pee, regardless whether it is boy or girl.
  •  

RobynD

That is the way it should be - There would be no issues with this. (or statistically none because they would be so low in number)

•