Susan's Place Logo

News:

Visit our Discord server  and Wiki

Main Menu

Heads up, potentially triggering movie release in Jan 2017

Started by Beth Andrea, December 19, 2016, 12:54:21 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Beth Andrea

I just saw a trailer for "Split", about a man with dissociative identity disorder (DID) who has a violent Alter as well as a TG Alter.

The trailer shows him kidnapping a couple (3?) young women, keeping them in a basement, and then presents the TG Alter.
I don't know anything else about this movie, I'm shaking terribly as it is.

DID people are NOT violent to others, and why the F**K is yet another movie showing a TG person in such a situation?!?

Okay, I got this off my chest, please take care as needed.
...I think for most of us it is a futile effort to try and put this genie back in the bottle once she has tasted freedom...

--read in a Tessa James post 1/16/2017
  •  

Tessa James

Demonization can take many forms and inserting the lesser known elements of a trans character is a too easy plot device? 

One of my brothers let me know he was concerned about me being "possessed by the devil".  Apparently being happy as myself is a sign?  I told him I had repossessed myself and feel no debt to the supernatural world.  It simply doesn't bother me at all. ;D  No voices, fearful visions or damnation need apply for the Platinum Trans Americard!
Open, out and evolving queer trans person forever with HRT support since March 13, 2013
  •  

Laura_Squirrel

Meh. It's just a stupid movie. It doesn't mean anything.
  •  

Beth Andrea

Quote from: Laura_Squirrel on December 19, 2016, 05:23:45 PM
Meh. It's just a stupid movie. It doesn't mean anything.

Except that there are people who go to movies and believe what they see. And given the current political situation in the US, it bothers me that they would use a trans character as "a plot device."

Also, having DID has shown me how people tend to think about "multiple personalities"..."Which Alter is the crazy one, the violent one?" Rather than opening a dialogue with someone who is multiple and/or trans, the movie reinforces stereotypes of both conditions (very much like Silence of the Lambs). This reinforcement tends to take away curiosity and therefore questions that might be asked.

Nevermind that people who go through either or both conditions generally have self-esteem problems, this move can introduce strong self-hate and doubts about Life itself.

Please, don't dismiss these kinds of concerns.
...I think for most of us it is a futile effort to try and put this genie back in the bottle once she has tasted freedom...

--read in a Tessa James post 1/16/2017
  •  

Kadence1

Quote from: Tessa James on December 19, 2016, 02:55:39 PM
Demonization can take many forms and inserting the lesser known elements of a trans character is a too easy plot device? 

One of my brothers let me know he was concerned about me being "possessed by the devil".  Apparently being happy as myself is a sign?  I told him I had repossessed myself and feel no debt to the supernatural world.  It simply doesn't bother me at all. ;D  No voices, fearful visions or damnation need apply for the Platinum Trans Americard!

Wait, your brother thinks you're possessed because you're transgender? Or thinks you'll get possessed because you're transgender? Sorry, found this kind of intriguing for some reason xD

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
  •  

Laura_Squirrel

Quote from: Beth Andrea on December 19, 2016, 06:07:30 PM
Except that there are people who go to movies and believe what they see. And given the current political situation in the US, it bothers me that they would use a trans character as "a plot device."

Also, having DID has shown me how people tend to think about "multiple personalities"..."Which Alter is the crazy one, the violent one?" Rather than opening a dialogue with someone who is multiple and/or trans, the movie reinforces stereotypes of both conditions (very much like Silence of the Lambs). This reinforcement tends to take away curiosity and therefore questions that might be asked.

Nevermind that people who go through either or both conditions generally have self-esteem problems, this move can introduce strong self-hate and doubts about Life itself.

Please, don't dismiss these kinds of concerns.

Yeah. But, those people are idiots.

I've dealt with self-esteem issues for most of my life. But, there are times when you need to give yourself a metaphorical kick in the bum and say to yourself: "I'm not going to let this stupid crap get to me. To hell with these ignorant people. I won't let them impact my life."

Of course, I know that is easier said than done. I've had times where I would say to myself: "Okay, I won't let (fill in the blank) get to me." Then, two hours later, I am a sobbing wreck.

But, at the end of the day, this is just a dumb film, made for dumb people. It doesn't matter.

•  

Tessa James

Quote from: Pinderxx on December 20, 2016, 04:03:44 AM

Wait, your brother thinks you're possessed because you're transgender? Or thinks you'll get possessed because you're transgender? Sorry, found this kind of intriguing for some reason xD

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

There are people who believe in a a literal devil that might possess us if we aren't careful.  Apparently we are then led down the road of perdition.  I don't take any of that seriously and usually laugh him off.
Open, out and evolving queer trans person forever with HRT support since March 13, 2013
  •  

Jacqueline

Quote from: Tessa James on December 20, 2016, 12:42:05 PM
There are people who believe in a a literal devil that might possess us if we aren't careful.  Apparently we are then led down the road of perdition.

But she spells it with a y. Right Devlyn?  >:-)
1st Therapy: February 2015
First Endo visit & HRT StartJanuary 29, 2016
Jacqueline from Joanna July 18, 2017
Full Time June 1, 2018

•  

Jacqueline

:police:   Warning.

Heads up. Let's remember that the beauty of a forum is the ability to disagree. At the same time, there are rules and policies on this site that promote mutual respect. We don't all have to agree but lets find ways of disagreeing without ridicule or dismissiveness.

Sincerely,

Joanna

1st Therapy: February 2015
First Endo visit & HRT StartJanuary 29, 2016
Jacqueline from Joanna July 18, 2017
Full Time June 1, 2018

•