Susan's Place Logo

News:

Based on internal web log processing I show 3,417,511 Users made 5,324,115 Visits Accounting for 199,729,420 pageviews and 8.954.49 TB of data transfer for 2017, all on a little over $2,000 per month.

Help support this website by Donating or Subscribing! (Updated)

Main Menu

Denver VA Frustration

Started by Sarah_Evelyn, January 03, 2017, 04:01:14 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Sarah_Evelyn

So my VA therapist called today and told me that endocrinology will not do any form of HRT unless there is documented 3 months of RLE. UGH! this VA is so far behind. I am not looking for a social transition at this time due to family issues so we were discussing a low non transition dose as a possibility. They have yet to set up any transgender specialties and they seem to be unaware of what any other VA is doing. One would think since the Denver VA is so big and a lot of veterans live here, that I couldn't possibly be the first veteran with gender dysphoria in the Denver area. If anyone has any experience with the Denver VA or has any advice please let me know.

•  

Harley Quinn

Not with Denver VA, but VA in general. I'd ask your therapist for a letter documenting real life experience. They may just vouch for you. Otherwise, bring a change of clothes when you see the therapist and change back after. Real Life Experience is not a VA standard, but it is as always the doctor's discretion. Otherwise you could speak to the LGBTQ coordinator. If they have one yet... it's basically a specialized patient advocate. Otherwise the patient advocate is the one to see. The endo is probably going off WRPATH Standards for lack of VA regulatory guidelines.
At what point did my life go Looney Tunes? How did it happen? Who's to blame?... Batman, that's who. Batman! It's always been Batman! Ruining my life, spoiling my fun! >:-)
  •  

Devlyn

Google  VHA Directive 2013-003, it's the VA's internal document regarding transgender treatment. Your health care professional may not even be aware of this document. Good luck!

Hugs, Devlyn
  •  

Sarah_Evelyn

Thank you for the replies. I am personally fortunate to be a retired and be covered through TRICARE. I am going to go that route in treatment and see what happens.
I am not going to give up on the VA here in Denver though. I got a document the other day from my VA therapist specifically stating the endocrine department guidelines. They are outdated and even my therapist doesn't agree. The feeling i get is that my therapist feels powerless  to persuade a change in Denver VA policy. So i drafted an email and sent it to coordinators at VA facilities with transgender programs explaining the situation and asking if they can share their location policy.

I'm not looking to fight the Denver VA just maybe open the discussion for positive change. A veteran should have a certain expectation to receive the best care that follows the most recent protocols and standards regardless of where they live.

BTW the document they sent actually states 12 months RLE before hormone therapy.

•  

Harley Quinn

WOW! The VA is more disjointed than I thought...  I'm thanking my lucky stars that I have avoided Texas like the Plague.  Hope you get better treatment from Tricare.  :)
At what point did my life go Looney Tunes? How did it happen? Who's to blame?... Batman, that's who. Batman! It's always been Batman! Ruining my life, spoiling my fun! >:-)
  •