Susan's Place Logo

News:

Based on internal web log processing I show 3,417,511 Users made 5,324,115 Visits Accounting for 199,729,420 pageviews and 8.954.49 TB of data transfer for 2017, all on a little over $2,000 per month.

Help support this website by Donating or Subscribing! (Updated)

Main Menu

Update on Phallo with Dr. Rachel Bluebond-Langner at NYU Medical

Started by CMD042414, January 10, 2017, 11:57:46 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

CMD042414

Dr. B-L moved from University of Maryland's health system to NYU's. I had a consultation with her yesterday. She was always my number one choice and after meeting with her that has been solidified. She's really nice and approachable. And extremely knowledgeable on phalloplasty. I had a list of questions and after starting with the first she'd just about answered them all by the end.

She has a team that includes Dr. Levine and Dr. Zhao, urologist and microsurgeon respectively. I was able to chat with Levine to and he's equally awesome. I am going back in February for a meeting with Zhao and to have some CAT scans on my donor site.

Dr. B-L went over RFF, ALT, and MLD. She does not recommend MLD and prefers to not use that site. Upon finding out that I had DI top surgery she mentioned that MLD can cause a drooping of the pec tissue on that side. She also says the nerve pulled from that area is the least tactile. Because I want a larger phallus and my forearms are on the thin side I have settled on ALT and I am 100% happy with that.

I am looking at 4 stages. Dr. B-L does a full meta for the first stage with a UL. So vaginectomy included. It is full closure of the vagina and removal of the mucosa. Stage 2 would be the formation of the phallus and the new urethra plus glansplasty and scrotoplasty. Stage 3 would be the nerve hookup and Stage 4 would be testicular implants and erection device. I will be discussing erection options next time.

She likes to do it this way because in her experience it reduces the risk of complications. She did say phallo has a 40% rate which is awfully high for surgical procedures in general. However, 20% of that 40% repairs itself. At minimum I have to wait 90 days between stages. Dr. Levine uses a state of the art robot to do the vaginectomy, also. I will have the hair on the outside of my left thigh removed via electrolysis or laser before stage two.

After stage one I have to stay in the NYC area for a week upon leaving the hospital. The hospital stay for each stage is 5-6 days, 3-4 days, 3 days, and 2 days respectively. It is out of network but her coordinator, Jesse, is submitting paperwork to get me in network. Jesse is on top of her stuff too. Very good at her job. I cannot schedule a surgery date until I get my final letter to them as required by insurance. When I go back next month I will discuss openings.

Dr. B-L has a short vid of an interview she did about GRS from where she was in Maryland. It's a good depiction of her personality. I did a write up of my visit with Dr. Rumer here the other day. After meeting with Drs. B-L and Levine though, it is clear to me that they are by far the better option. They also have a track record and a really good reputation. I will be able to use my preferred donor site and get all of the major things I want: stand to pee, good size phallus, sexual function and penetration.

Any questions just ask!
Started T: April 2014
Top Surgery: June 2014
Hysterectomy: August 2015
Phalloplasty: Stage 1-August 2018
  •  

FTMax

Congrats man! Knew you'd love her.

Depending on how much hair you have on your donor site, you may want to start hair removal even before stage 1. It can take around a year to get a donor site hairless.
T: 12/5/2014 | Top: 4/21/2015 | Hysto: 2/6/2016 | Meta: 3/21/2017

I don't come here anymore, so if you need to get in touch send an email: maxdoeswork AT protonmail.com
  •  

VictorMike

As soon as I know which surgery I will have, I'll start with electrolysis.  Since I have been on T, I look like a wookie from the navel down.   
  •  

CMD042414

Quote from: VictorMike on January 13, 2017, 04:20:25 PM
As soon as I know which surgery I will have, I'll start with electrolysis.  Since I have been on T, I look like a wookie from the navel down.
That made me howl laughing!
  •  

Bimmer Guy

Quote from: CMD042414 on January 10, 2017, 11:57:46 PM
Dr. B-L moved from University of Maryland's health system to NYU's. I had a consultation with her yesterday. She was always my number one choice and after meeting with her that has been solidified. She's really nice and approachable. And extremely knowledgeable on phalloplasty. I had a list of questions and after starting with the first she'd just about answered them all by the end.

She has a team that includes Dr. Levine and Dr. Zhao, urologist and microsurgeon respectively. I was able to chat with Levine to and he's equally awesome. I am going back in February for a meeting with Zhao and to have some CAT scans on my donor site.

Dr. B-L went over RFF, ALT, and MLD. She does not recommend MLD and prefers to not use that site. Upon finding out that I had DI top surgery she mentioned that MLD can cause a drooping of the pec tissue on that side. She also says the nerve pulled from that area is the least tactile. Because I want a larger phallus and my forearms are on the thin side I have settled on ALT and I am 100% happy with that.

I am looking at 4 stages. Dr. B-L does a full meta for the first stage with a UL. So vaginectomy included. It is full closure of the vagina and removal of the mucosa. Stage 2 would be the formation of the phallus and the new urethra plus glansplasty and scrotoplasty. Stage 3 would be the nerve hookup and Stage 4 would be testicular implants and erection device. I will be discussing erection options next time.

She likes to do it this way because in her experience it reduces the risk of complications. She did say phallo has a 40% rate which is awfully high for surgical procedures in general. However, 20% of that 40% repairs itself. At minimum I have to wait 90 days between stages. Dr. Levine uses a state of the art robot to do the vaginectomy, also. I will have the hair on the outside of my left thigh removed via electrolysis or laser before stage two.

After stage one I have to stay in the NYC area for a week upon leaving the hospital. The hospital stay for each stage is 5-6 days, 3-4 days, 3 days, and 2 days respectively. It is out of network but her coordinator, Jesse, is submitting paperwork to get me in network. Jesse is on top of her stuff too. Very good at her job. I cannot schedule a surgery date until I get my final letter to them as required by insurance. When I go back next month I will discuss openings.

Dr. B-L has a short vid of an interview she did about GRS from where she was in Maryland. It's a good depiction of her personality. I did a write up of my visit with Dr. Rumer here the other day. After meeting with Drs. B-L and Levine though, it is clear to me that they are by far the better option. They also have a track record and a really good reputation. I will be able to use my preferred donor site and get all of the major things I want: stand to pee, good size phallus, sexual function and penetration.

Any questions just ask!

Congrats on getting things going! 

However, it looks like you got Dr. Levine and Dr. Zhao backwards.  Zhao is the urologist.  I am planning on looking into going to him to fix my fistulas if they don't completely heal.  One is quite large and I am already at 10 weeks post op.

I really want to avoid traveling back to Austin and I am paying out of pocket anyway, so it doesn't matter who I go to.
Top Surgery: 10/10/13 (Garramone)
Testosterone: 9/9/14
Hysto: 10/1/15
Stage 1 Meta: 3/2/16 (including UL, Vaginectomy, Scrotoplasty), (Crane, CA)
Stage 2 Meta: 11/11/16 Testicular implants, phallus and scrotum repositioning, v-nectomy revision.  Additional: Lipo on sides of chest. (Crane, TX)
Fistula Repair 12/21/17 (UPenn Hospital,unsuccessful)
Fistula Repair 6/7/18 (Nikolavsky, successful)
Revision: 1/11/19 Replacement of eroded testicle,  mons resection, cosmetic work on scrotum (Crane, TX)

•  

FTMax

Quote from: Bimmer Guy on January 22, 2017, 09:31:52 AM
Congrats on getting things going! 

However, it looks like you got Dr. Levine and Dr. Zhao backwards.  Zhao is the urologist.  I am planning on looking into going to him to fix my fistulas if they don't completely heal.  One is quite large and I am already at 10 weeks post op.

I really want to avoid traveling back to Austin and I am paying out of pocket anyway, so it doesn't matter who I go to.

Mild derail CMD, apologies.

BG - I know your insurance plan had a lifetime cap for trans surgeries, but technically wouldn't fistula correction fall under normal urological care? Something to look into and maybe appeal.

I don't come here anymore, so if you need to get in touch send an email: maxdoeswork AT protonmail.com
  •  

CMD042414

No worries. Keep the convo going. We need more of this info on specific surgeons.
  •  

MattFlo

Does she do UL and scrotoplasty? What kind of insurance do you have? Do you know if penile implant is covered by insurance?
  •  

FTMax

Quote from: MattFlo on February 22, 2017, 11:29:59 PM
Does she do UL and scrotoplasty? What kind of insurance do you have? Do you know if penile implant is covered by insurance?

She does do UL and scrotoplasty. Implant may or may not be covered depending on your specific insurance policy.

•  

CMD042414

Quote from: MattFlo on February 22, 2017, 11:29:59 PM
I actually just had a second consultation with her Tuesday. Yes to UL and scrotoplasty. Everything including implant is covered by my insurance.

I met Dr. Zhao the other day. He is a reconstructive urologist. He is the third part of her team. Dr. B-L is the plastic surgeon. She doesn't do the UL or the microsurgery hookup herself. But she is the team leader by far. For anyone interested Dr. Zhao, who is great btw, does the same procedure for cis and trans men. In terms of the erection device I asked about both options, pump and rod. He said the vast majority of his cis patients go with the pump because it closely mimics the erection process of a real penis. I've chosen to go with the pump.

He is also using vaginal mucosa to form the UL through the phallus (ALT). I'm all set up for stage 1 of 4 in July. I was super nervous and scared of the recovery but after meeting the entire team now I'm ready to go. It's going to be hard to wait until July.

Lots of trans folks in the waiting room again. I think Drs. B-L, Levine, and Zhao may end up like an East coast version of Crane.
  •  

MattFlo

Thank you for the update. I have a consult with B-L in May. Did she show you her work? Can you describe how they looked in comparison to other surgeons work?
  •  

FTMax

Quote from: MattFlo on March 02, 2017, 11:17:40 PM
Thank you for the update. I have a consult with B-L in May. Did she show you her work? Can you describe how they looked in comparison to other surgeons work?

I have seen her portfolio. Aesthetically, I see no significant differences than other surgeon's work. She's also very patient-focused, so if you have a strong preference about how something will look, she tries to take that into consideration. Like I told her if we went the phallo route I would want to be on the smaller side (under 5") and I would want a very prominent glans. She was down for all of that.

•  

CMD042414

Quote from: MattFlo on March 02, 2017, 11:17:40 PM
I saw pictures. I can't say that they were better or worse than others I've seen. Looked good to me.
  •  

MattFlo

•  

FTMax

Her office will tell you she does not do meta. The first stage of all of her phalloplasties though, is a full meta. When I consulted with her last October, she had been averaging one a month since 2015. I think that number jumped significantly after she moved to NYU though.

•  

dontazz2003

I am looking in to this Dr does anyone have pictures of her work. Please.
  •  

FTMax

Quote from: dontazz2003 on April 12, 2017, 10:25:55 PM
I am looking in to this Dr does anyone have pictures of her work. Please.

She doesn't have pictures online, you would need to go to a consultation to see them.

•  

Bimmer Guy

Quote from: FTMax on January 22, 2017, 10:19:14 AM
Mild derail CMD, apologies.

BG - I know your insurance plan had a lifetime cap for trans surgeries, but technically wouldn't fistula correction fall under normal urological care? Something to look into and maybe appeal.

Yes, you are right.  The issue is that I would have to pay out of network.  I would still have to pay the max coinsurance, which is like 4K.  Now that I am thinking about it, though, at least I could get both the fistula work done and the return of the implant for this.  I did want to go back to Crane because he did an awesome job on getting rid of the dogs ears,  It was awesome to see a scar that wasn't all fat and wide like my hypertropic scarring one.  Seeing this thick, over 1/2 inch scar and then this tiny line next to it, really makes him pulling up the rest of the scar and re-stitching very attractive.  Regular insurance wouldn't pay for that, though.  It does tick me off that I have to do out of network for fistulas, as I am sure no one would touch me in network.  I wonder if I can make my insurance company call all of the providers in network and ask so I don't have to?  Then they would HAVE to pay in network even though it is for regular insurance, right?  I wonder if I can even ask them to do that.  Hmmmmm  Tell me what you think, Max.
Stage 2 Meta: 11/11/16 Testicular implants, phallus and scrotum repositioning, v-nectomy revision.  Additional: Lipo on sides of chest. (Crane, TX)
Revision: 1/11/19 Replacement of eroded testicle,  mons resection, cosmetic work on scrotum (Crane, TX)

•  

Bimmer Guy

Quote from: FTMax on March 03, 2017, 11:33:50 PM
Her office will tell you she does not do meta. The first stage of all of her phalloplasties though, is a full meta. When I consulted with her last October, she had been averaging one a month since 2015. I think that number jumped significantly after she moved to NYU though.

Max, I am only responding here for information sake for others guys who may come by.  I asked B-L if she did a complete meta when the person was getting phallo, and she said no.  I suspect that she was going to do a full one for you (all pretty and stuff), because you were thinking that may have been your stopping point.  I don't know what she might skip.  I am guessing something like wrapping the phallus with the minora or something.  I don't see why a surgeon would care about girth/ would bother with that, if they are going to phallo.  Just a random guess.  I asked her the question (even though it had nothing to do with me being there), because I was curious.  It didn't make sense to me that she would make this pretty picture, only to tuck it into a tube, never to be seen again.

•  

dre_moe

Quote from: CMD042414 on January 10, 2017, 11:57:46 PM

Any questions just ask!

What size phallus did you say that you wanted? I definitely know I'm going to have phallo as my bottom surgery and I would prefer to use MLD. Why does she not like to use that site? I'm at a crossroad between her team and Dr. Crane. And based on your post I'm thinking of following this same route but only if I can understand why you settled on ALT. I'm not total comfortable with the idea of having that forearm scar

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Started T - 4 Dec 17
Top Surgery - 21 Mar 18
  •