Visit our Discord server  and Wiki

Main Menu

Why Do People Transition

Started by Lyndsey, January 26, 2017, 08:12:00 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Lyndsey

Why Do People Transition
January 26th 2017

Today I am sitting here thinking to myself about Why I transitioned as there are lots of people that can't understand me or for that matter any of us.
I did this because I had to have peace with myself and my life as that is why we all do it. For me it was not a choice. Don't think for a minute that we do this for fun. We all know what the circumstances will be with family and friends for the most part. But let me tell you it is far more painful than one could ever imagine. I have lost some family and so called friends but the way I look at it not my loss it is there's. My true friends and family have stuck by me and the ones that didn't were not my family or friends.
One of the main reasons that I speak publicly is If I can get one person or many to respect our decision it was worth it. We are normal people and just remember it is us that have gone through this big change not you give us a chance as we are happier and you would have much more fun with us as we are comfortable with who we are now.

Love and Hug's to all of you for just listening to me.
Lyndsey Marie Burke
Lyndsey Marie Burke- Started my journey February 2011 Full time on May 5th 2014 HRT June 6th 2014 Name change and on all records and court documents June 20th 2014 SCS October 20th 2015 with Doctor Marci Bowers in Burlingame California I'm a very Happy women and finally living what I should have been living my whole life. Expect the unexpected. I feel Blessed. Love, Live, Be Happy. Be safe.
  •  

KarlMars

If I do so it will be because I want to freely express who I am inside as if my body is a default blank canvas that I haven't created what I want yet.

Kylo

"Know thyself"

When you know yourself as well as I do you know when you've been down every avenue and seen it doesn't go anywhere but Dysphoria Street or Misery Blvd. or Don't Fit In Plaza. Might as well try the mystery door in the wall. 
"If the freedom of speech is taken away, then dumb and silent we may be led, like sheep to the slaughter."
  •  

Dani

"Why did I transition?" is not the most important question.
"Why did I take so long before I did something about my gender issues?" is the real question.
  •  

WolfNightV4X1

I transitioned because I was tired of my apathy and indifference in my life, I started to become more and more driven to be male, unintentionally. It wasn't something I could help, it felt natural to be that way. Pushing it away was staving myself and intentionally trying very hard not to be that way. All for what, normalcy?

Normal was me trying to do this and that and that, eventually I got to the age where I was tired of it, I don't want to feign normalcy, I want to be real. I want to actually care about myself, my image, my stature, not hate my name, my face, my body.

I did not choose to be transgender, this is not some neo-lifestyle choice, I chose to stop feeling apathetic and uncomfortable. I became motivated in my life to be better.

•  

Dayta

I think a big part of it for me was giving up the shame I had in hiding myself from all but those closest to me.  In retrospect, it feels as if a great weight has been lifted from me, which tells me I was trudging around carrying that with me all of the time.  It's also opened me up to trusting people a little more, as I felt as if everyone was carrying secrets around with me. 

I don't think it was much about any of the physical aspects, like fashion and things like that, but it did open up room for me to express my emotions in a way that sometimes seemed inappropriate or abnormal.

Erin

•  

LizK

Because there has not been a day go by in the last 50 years that I didn't think about being a woman...even during the times when I refused to accept that I was anything but cis I still had those thoughts a minimum of once a day but more often they were endless repartitions of the same thing...you are not a guy...you are a girl...bull...I have the body of a guy therefore I am a guy...bull...you are not a guy...and on it went and it only ever stopped when I got drunk...... then when I could stand it no longer I began my transition
Transition Begun 25 September 2015
HRT since 17 May 2016,
Fulltime from 8 March 2017,
GCS 4 December 2018
Voice Surgery 01 February 2019
  •  

bubbles21

I chose myself over death and don't regret it for one day!  ;D
Blossoming with my Happy Pills :)
  •  

Megan.

Like bubbles 21,  everytime I tried to stop or go back on this journey I very quickly found myself planning my own end,  but each step forward brought a level of internal happiness and ease I'd never had before. Call me selfish, but I wanted to live 😁.

Sent from my MI 5s using Tapatalk

•  

nyanhakase

Because I absolutely hated mirrors and would go to extremes to destroy photos of myself. Not anger or anything, just this unsettling sense of "who is that...?" or, "I've completely let myself go" every time I saw myself, sometimes trying to shave once an hour in frustration,  and after so many years I learned to cope by forgetting what I look like soon after looking away, alcohol helped too (not really). It's quite nice being able to be in photos and pay attention to the bathroom mirror now.
  •  

Dan

I transitioned because it was the natural path for me to take.
  •  

Veronica-Lynn

For the past ten years I have been in an open-minded, loving and honest relationship with my wife who's become my best friend during this time. Being with someone who allowed me to totally be myself gradually opened me up to what was really inside. The part of me that society and my household as a child shunned for decades.

I've never really related to 'the typical guy' or saw myself in that light. I am soft spoken, effeminate and preferred having a female as a friend instead of hanging out with the guys competing on who can get the most numbers and what not. I was raised by my grandmother and mom and didn't have a father in my life until I was 14, so I was always around women. In previous relationships before my current one I had to maintain the image of being a man because they too had the views that if I had a certain male sex organ then I can't possibly be anything but a man.

I've transitioned because being able to be myself has made me myself. When ridicule, judgement and conviction are no longer paralyzing it's easier to open up to being your true self.

The last thing I thought I would get out of having an everlasting love was that, not only would I find my true self but be able to be my true self once found.

My transition started this year, it wasn't a New Year's resolution  ;D  at the moment I've been enjoying dressing up and being a lady whenever possible. I feel good with matching the outside (appearance) to what's in the inside. Being able to openly express myself doesn't have me feeling like I am stuck in a male's body. I feel just as feminine and like the lady I am inside regardless.
xoxo Vicky
  •  

Julia1996

I transitioned simply because there was no other choice for me. If I hadn't I would either be in a nuthouse or dead. I had no other option but transition.
Julia

Born 1998
Started hrt 2015
SRS done 5/21/2018
  •  

LaRell

I have discovered for me, late at night when laying in bed, I have a period of about 15 minutes where I am allowing myself to think "Why am I doing this?  I look like a weird freak to many people, I am turning my wife's life upside down, I am about to cause tremendous difficulty for myself in trying to find jobs, and might end up single and alone all because I feel the need to do this."   

Now.......either a person could look at that and say "Yeah, you are a complete lunatic for doing this!"  Or........what I love are the people, including some cis people, who look at the situation and truly "get it" and say "Wow! This must be so hard for you to HAVE to do all of that because this is such a strong thing that you have been dealing with your entire life."   And that is true. 

I did not choose to be trans.....but I most definitely am choosing to transition....because living a lie, and suppressing my true happiness is not a pleasant way to live.  Yes there is a lot of hell a person has to go through, but a persons happiness is extremely important.   It has been proven that sadness and depression can actually have a serious negative affect on our health.  It is not all mental.  Our emotions absolutely can affect our actual physical health.  And therefore, to continue living a way that brings sadness and depression upon a person, can actually quite literally kill us.  So I am transitioning to save my life.

CynthiaAnn

Quote from: LaRell on January 16, 2018, 11:45:29 AM
Our emotions absolutely can affect our actual physical health.  And therefore, to continue living a way that brings sadness and depression upon a person, can actually quite literally kill us.  So I am transitioning to save my life.

I'll 2nd this above, and that's what was happening to me. My physical health was declining because my spirit inside was dying. I had to change course, and hindsight is clear now. I did the right things to save myself and now I flourish later in life. My health metrics today are the best ever, and my spirit is free....

Cynthia -
  •  

Ann W

It was never a question. Once I knew I was a woman, I was going to transition. How could I not?
  •  

Zoey421

I am at the beginning of my transition process. On November 12, 2018, I woke up and said to myself, "accept who you are! Enough is enough." I realized I had to accept my feminine self which led to accepting I am transgender woman, at 54y.

Accepting my true self has been fundamental to resolving many of my mental health issues. I had not realized the origin of my mental health issues was tied to my gender identity. Embracing my transgender self has resolved my general anxiety and I am the happiest I have been in decades.

Will there be troubles ahead? HELL yes. My marriage at 21 years is ending; this is tough but probably the best for both my spouse and me.

My son is adjusting to new dad, my brother is adjusting to new "sister". 

I am Zoe to my social network and my given name in business.

I want to go on HRT and want my kids to support me but I am afraid my son will move away from me.

I want my physical body to match the mental image of my body ... so I tuck everyday, even while i sleep, and feel normal with a bra. I am woman, am I not?

I love the way I dress and present as a woman 98% of the time, except in front of my son.

I am transitioning so I can love myself, so I can love the others around me, so I can behave as my true self. I am transitioning to save myself.

Hugs & truths,  Zoe xoxoxo

Sent from my SM-G950W using Tapatalk

•  

SeptagonScars

My reasons for transitioning, as I came out as ftm 10 years ago and started hrt about a year later, was to escape being female as well as modern medicine could allow me. My dysphoria made me think I was supposed to be male and that my body was born of the wrong sex. I was otherwise always quite confident about the way I looked and considered myself attractive. But the dysphoria made life too difficult to endure in what I felt was me pretending to be a girl. Little did I know that the male role I then formed for myself over the years was just as fraudulent. Myself, has probably been the hardest thing I could ever figure out how to be.

Unconsciously I felt the need to escape the parts of my body that had been touched against my will, and which got me sexualised and victimised because of my female sex. What I really meant when I wanted to be seen as a man was that I wanted to be seen as a person, and respected for my mind beyond my body. Transitioning provided a sense of relief from my traumas, but I also loved how hrt changed my body and face. I many times happily exclaimed that it was my favourite drug. Although I remained largely unhappy with my life in general, cause my problems ran much deeper than a transition could possibly solve, I did feel better with my body. It got cosier, more comforting.

I got top surgery out of desperation, as my breasts were a burden I couldn't cope with. I was binding to an unhealthy degree for 5 years, which left me with long-lasting physical issues that still affect me today, 5 years after surgery. And then that surgery that I had been holding on for dear life for, made how I felt about my chest even worse instead. At first I thought it was just that I had to get used to the scars and it being flat there. Then I rationalised away my regret as internalised transphobia. Years went and what little improvement I got fluctuated between sheer panic and "it's alright I guess."

It wasn't until my detransition when I had finally managed to allow myself to say "I miss being a girl and I regret this" that I faced my top surgery regret and finally cried.

Although I transitioned for the wrong reasons, albeit unknowingly at the time, I'm sure it will turn out great in the end. Bodies are maluable and they continue to be even after hrt and surgery. If you make a mistake it's not the whole world as long as you have hope and continue striving for a better future. Breasts are not that complicated body parts, I can get a new pair that I'll love more than I ever could love my original ones. With that my transition, or transformation, continues. When I started transitioning in my late teens, I thought I was being more than reasonable when I hoped to be "done" transitioning before the age of 30. Nope, apparently not! Turned 30, still not done!

But jokes aside, I'm not so concerned with how long time it takes anymore. I know now that despite I was never male, and that I'm not particularly fond of consistently passing as male, I'm glad that I was on hrt. Those changes still comfort me, even in the fate of this constant misgendering, which I ironically dreamed of achieving one day. Well... I guess that dream got granted. If it was right for me to take T in my past, I do not know, but in the end I fell in love with what it gave to my body, as a woman. So I won't call it wrong that I took it. I don't know if I'm transgender or not, nor does it matter outside of the bureaucratic hassle that needs to be messed with for me to get my femaleness once again legally recognised.

But of course, because I regret half of my transition while I still love the other half of it, I'm ambivalent about what to say about my transition as a whole, if it was really worth it or not. Cause it took a long of time and so much energy, for such a dubious and ambiguous result. Well, it didn't quite go as I intended. That much I can say for sure.
Mar. 2009 - came out as ftm
Nov. 2009 - changed my name to John
Mar. 2010 - diagnosed with GID
Aug. 2010 - started T, then stopped after 1 year
Aug. 2013 - started T again, kept taking it since
Mar. 2014 - top surgery
Dec. 2014 - legal gender marker changed to male
Jul. 2018 - came out as cis woman and began detransition
Sep. 2018 - stopped taking T and changed my name to Laura
Oct. 2018 - got new ID-card

Medical Detransition plans: breast reconstruction surgery, change legal gender back to female.
  •  

MeTony

Survival. I have been depressed since I was 11 and my chest developed to female forms.

I'm not depressed today. Not since I started to transition. When I knew I was omw the heavy blanket lifted and I carefully see at the  future with hope. I almost killed myself 3 times because of dysphoria and body hatred. I had the wrong body.

I hated mirrors and pics of myself. But not anymore.

Tony
  •  

Cindy

I was on the way to my family doctor (GP) for yet another check up for my depression.
I sat watching a train go by. I knew that train well as it was local and I had timed how quickly I could go from the barrier to being in front of it. I thought how wonderful it would be not to struggle with everything, my gender, my depression, my caring role, my career; but most of all my gender.

I watched the train go past and saw the person driving it. I saw their eyes concentrate on their job.

I realised that I couldn't be such a coward as to let them suffer for my failure and so I went to my GP and said - I'm transgender. It all went from there.

I saved a life, an innocent life.

I have my problems and I have enough past guilt to fill more sacks than Santa Claus could carry but I didn't destroy a train drivers life. For that I am eternally grateful.
  •