Susan's Place Logo

News:

Please be sure to review The Site terms of service, and rules to live by

Main Menu

The Last Change - I Think

Started by stephanie_craxford, January 31, 2006, 06:42:39 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

stephanie_craxford

With the myriad of documents, certificates, licenses etc... that needed to be changed when I started living full time, I think that I've finally reached the end.  But I could be wrong.  Gillian and I were at the lawyers tonight to sign our Wills, Living Will, and Power of Attorney.  It was nice to see my name at the top followed by formally known as (my old name).

felt good and  kinda nice to see :)

Steph
  •  

Cassandra

Good for you Steph.

I still have a lot of documents that have to  be changed. Most days I'm just so busy the need to do so gets lost in the shuffle. I must be more dilligent and get these things taken care of. Most of the important ones are done, ID credit cards, bills(ick). There are just so many ancilliary documents you just don't think of on a day to day basis, they kind of get lost.

Well there I go again you post something about your milestone and I start going off about myself. Good for you getting it all done.

Cassie
  •  

stephanie_craxford

Don't be silly, it's always good to share. :)

Steph
  •  

Sara

Hi Stephanie, Whilst you are at the end of yours many of us are just beginning to change their docs etc. I am not sure how I will go but good on you for your achievements. It must feel great to be acknowledged for the person you are. (isnt it a bit funny seeing your old name though?)

Sara.
  •  

stephanie_craxford

Hi Sara,

Quote from: Sara(isnt it a bit funny seeing your old name though?)

Yes it was kind of strange seeing it written down like that.  It seems so long since it was changed but in reality it was only 6 months ago :)  Sort of the last remnants of my old being.

Steph
  •  

molly

Steph:

Congradulations!  When you reach the end of one stage of your journey, it means you are beginning a new one - I hope it is all your heart desires.

Molly

[edit]edited to create new topic. See transition timelines for Molly's question[/edit]
  •  

Dennis

Oh god, thanks for reminding me. You'd think being a lawyer I would think of these things...

Congrats Steph :)

Dennis
  •  

melissa_girl

Congratulations Stephanie.

I've started by changing a lot of my online identity, but I'm waiting before changing anything really important.  In fact, I might take care of ancillary stuff first that doesn't need any official ID to change.  Anyway, I look forward to all my documentation changes: Driver License, Credit Cards, Bills, Library Card, School records, Magazine subscriptions, etc.  But, I have a while and am just beginning the hormones leg of my journey.

Melissa
  •  

Sheila

Stephanie,
  Thats great :0)  It feels great to have your paycheck and everything else come in your name. I think I have only one thing out there that needs to be changed, besides my birth certificate (which I'm not going to change). I still get junk mail in the other name though.
Sheila
  •  

melissa_girl

You could tell the post office to refuse mail in that name Sheila.

Melissa
  •  

Sheila

Melissa, good idea. I never even thought of that. thank you
Sheila
  •  

Northern Jane

Hey Steph, why did the lawyer put the a.k.a. on those documents? With your legal identity changed, I fail to see the reason!
  •  

melissa_girl

I think that is to cover all the bases in case there is some sort of dispute in the future over the will because of documents in the old name.

Melissa
  •  

AmyNYC

Quote from: melissa_girl on February 01, 2006, 01:02:13 PMYou could tell the post office to refuse mail in that name Sheila.

Melissa

In my quest to get junk mail stopped in my old name, I called the United States Postal Service info line and I was told you can't have the post office not deliver mail to a specific name.  But maybe that person didn't know what they were talking about.  I'll probably try & ask another postal employee.

But I don't really get much junk mail anymore, if any.  And it's been 5 months since my name change.  I've made lots of phone calls to be removed from mailing lists, writeen lots of letters to organizations like the Direct Marketing Association, and www.optoutprescreen.com.  The last one is supposed to be a pretty all-inclusive way to stop junk mail, and now you're not required to give your SS#, and it's permanent!

Amy
  •  

Leigh

Put in a change of address for the name and have the mail sent to 40th and Plumb, Nowhere Arkansas
  •  

Dennis

Quote from: Northern Jane on February 01, 2006, 09:04:52 PM
Hey Steph, why did the lawyer put the a.k.a. on those documents? With your legal identity changed, I fail to see the reason!

Yes, I would offer the client the choice, and tell them that the risk is that if there's something that doesn't match up with the current name, the beneficiaries will have to prove that you are the same person.

Me, I would write the will without the aka or fka if it was me. My filing system is good enough that my beneficiaries could find my legal change of name document easily enough.

You might want to re-do it again in a few years Steph and get rid of the aka. By the way, a will doesn't have to be drafted by a lawyer, or witnessed by one. You can copy the will you have now and get two non-beneficiaries to witness you signing it.

Dennis
  •  

Northern Jane

As an aside, on the topic of junk mail.

MANY years ago, I tried to get the junk mail stopped but was told it was not possible.

Here in Canada you can send mail to your federal member of parliment at no cost so I started sending all my junk mail to Ottawa with a cover letter FREE.

Strangely all my junk mail stopped! I haven't had a single piece of junk mail in over 15 years  ;D
  •  

Dennis

What a great idea Jane. I usually take the envelopes with free postage on them and mail them the junk mail from someone else. I figure if the Royal Bank thinks I'm interested in a VISA then maybe they're interested in a free CD club membership.

Dennis
  •  

Cassandra

I take the postage paid envelopes and put lead weights or rocks in them and put them in the mail.

Cassie
  •