Susan's Place Logo

News:

Please be sure to review The Site terms of service, and rules to live by

Main Menu

Writing music?

Started by maksim, February 27, 2017, 01:26:13 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

maksim

I was curious if there are any trans musicians that write their own pieces around here!
I use a DAW to write my instrumentals (using a MIDI-capable piano to play of course) and VOCALOID to do the vocals.
I'm actually working on a song that should be done by next week, and I have a few others out right now!
Does anyone write music? Whether it be for guitar, piano, lyrics, digital, anything!!

•  

Audrey94

I play piano a lot. It's kind of hard for me to write without a DAW... I need to train my ears more. I used to use this program called FamiTracker a few years ago to make 8-bit music--lots of fun. Nowadays I don't use any software, I just improvise, but I'm only rarely able to make up something that stays cohesive long enough to call a song. Writing music is something I admire and aspire to, but I should really train my ears more first.
  •  

maksim

Quote from: Audrey94 on February 28, 2017, 02:07:49 AM
I play piano a lot. It's kind of hard for me to write without a DAW... I need to train my ears more. I used to use this program called FamiTracker a few years ago to make 8-bit music--lots of fun. Nowadays I don't use any software, I just improvise, but I'm only rarely able to make up something that stays cohesive long enough to call a song. Writing music is something I admire and aspire to, but I should really train my ears more first.
I've always wanted to try 8-bit music! It seems like such a cool thing :) And I know where you're coming from, absolutely. I can't write without a DAW at all! I can come up with a right-hand melody and maybe a really watered down and simple left-hand line, but I have yet to be able to play one of my own songs on the piano by itself. Training the ear is a very difficult thing, but it's definitely possible :)

•  

Julie1957

I enjoy writing music too.  Mostly I write for small ensembles (mostly woodwinds).  I use Finale for software and a MIDI keyboard.  I sometimes just write with pencil and staff paper but I make too many changes for that to be really practical.
Ear training is hard but important.  I took ear training in college but it has mostly disappeared so now I struggle to get what's in my mind down on paper (computer).
Julie
I always wanted to be someone.  Now I am someone.  It just isn't me.
  •  

maksim

Quote from: Julie1957 on March 01, 2017, 06:08:58 AM
I enjoy writing music too.  Mostly I write for small ensembles (mostly woodwinds).  I use Finale for software and a MIDI keyboard.  I sometimes just write with pencil and staff paper but I make too many changes for that to be really practical.
Ear training is hard but important.  I took ear training in college but it has mostly disappeared so now I struggle to get what's in my mind down on paper (computer).
Julie
that's so cool! I've heard a lot of good things about Finale, too :)
I've never met anyone who writes for ensembles, that's a really neat thing!

•  

bambam

Quote from: maksim on February 27, 2017, 01:26:13 PM
I was curious if there are any trans musicians that write their own pieces around here!
I use a DAW to write my instrumentals (using a MIDI-capable piano to play of course) and VOCALOID to do the vocals.
I'm actually working on a song that should be done by next week, and I have a few others out right now!
Does anyone write music? Whether it be for guitar, piano, lyrics, digital, anything!!

definitely, I write all my own lyrics. I'm a pop/hip hop entertainer in my spare time...I usually get my instrumentals from beat makers/engineers. I'd rather just write, record, and perform lol

•  

maksim

Quote from: bambam on March 07, 2017, 05:31:21 PM
definitely, I write all my own lyrics. I'm a pop/hip hop entertainer in my spare time...I usually get my instrumentals from beat makers/engineers. I'd rather just write, record, and perform lol
That's great!! And I feel, instrumentals are pretty hard to write, especially when you're writing lyrics and doing vocals for them, too. Iat always nice to see musicians around here :)

•  

Terence

I play guitar, and some other instruments, and write songs. Sadly I haven't recorded any of them yet. I'm starting formal guitar tuition soon, as I've picked up some bad technique habits from the years I've spent teaching myself, and I'm hopefully starting T soon, so I'll be able to sing in a couple year's time. I'm looking forward to a minor career as a singer-songwriter.
  •  

TheLittlestSlam

Yes!
Music is one of my favourite hobbies, I don't really use DAWs anymore since I revived my interest in analog audio, I mostly write depressive black metal but I do other genres on tape and sometimes sync the machines to the computer!  I'd love to make more friends with musicians!
  •  

maksim

Quote from: Terence on April 08, 2017, 12:18:18 AM
I play guitar, and some other instruments, and write songs. Sadly I haven't recorded any of them yet. I'm starting formal guitar tuition soon, as I've picked up some bad technique habits from the years I've spent teaching myself, and I'm hopefully starting T soon, so I'll be able to sing in a couple year's time. I'm looking forward to a minor career as a singer-songwriter.

That all sounds exciting, if you ever get the chance to record a song you've written don't hesitate to send me a copy! :) I wish you well in your career!

Quote from: TheLittlestSlam on May 20, 2017, 01:38:11 PM
Yes!
Music is one of my favourite hobbies, I don't really use DAWs anymore since I revived my interest in analog audio, I mostly write depressive black metal but I do other genres on tape and sometimes sync the machines to the computer!  I'd love to make more friends with musicians!

Oh nice, I've never met anyone who does music on tape! That's definitely an interesting way of doing things, it sounds fun :)

•  

TheLittlestSlam

Aside from nostalgia its a really cool workflow!  Even a lowly four track teac!  it encourages you to perform takes from start to finish since puching in is hard.  (which means every party of the song sounds different in a fresh way and also encourages practice to make less mistakes)  Allows for smoother time changes since theres no click, and just more natural time feel altogether!  And if you do mostly midi work you can even synchronize your sequencer to the machine.

If you ever have questions about analog gear or want to talk workflow and gear then I'm your girl!  :)
P.s. I work in audio sales so I try to learn from others too
  •  

rmaddy

Singer/songwriter.  Music was my main flavor of therapy in early transition.  Put out a (mostly) home-brewed CD.  These days I'm pretty dormant, but I still mess with keys or guitar fairly often and always, always, always sing in the car.
  •  

maksim

Quote from: TheLittlestSlam on May 20, 2017, 11:40:25 PM
Aside from nostalgia its a really cool workflow!  Even a lowly four track teac!  it encourages you to perform takes from start to finish since puching in is hard.  (which means every party of the song sounds different in a fresh way and also encourages practice to make less mistakes)  Allows for smoother time changes since theres no click, and just more natural time feel altogether!  And if you do mostly midi work you can even synchronize your sequencer to the machine.

If you ever have questions about analog gear or want to talk workflow and gear then I'm your girl!  :)
P.s. I work in audio sales so I try to learn from others too
It all sounds so nice, I'd love to hear your work if you're able to share! I only use DAWs because the only instrument I play is piano, and I have a MIDI capable digital piano as well as a mini MIDI keyboard. I've tried to learn guitar, but it just wasn't my thing! With the DAW I'm able to use synths and instruments I wouldn't be able to use otherwise :) Though if I were able to play more than just piano, I'd definitely be looking into creating analog audio!

Quote from: rmaddy on May 20, 2017, 11:54:39 PM
Singer/songwriter.  Music was my main flavor of therapy in early transition.  Put out a (mostly) home-brewed CD.  These days I'm pretty dormant, but I still mess with keys or guitar fairly often and always, always, always sing in the car.
Music has incredible powers :) That's really cool!

•  

TheLittlestSlam

Quote from: rmaddy on May 20, 2017, 11:54:39 PM

yes hun!  music is incredibly therapeutic especially using it as your outlet for any emotions beit happiness or depression :)
  •  

TheLittlestSlam

Quote from: maksim on May 21, 2017, 12:25:06 AM
It all sounds so nice, I'd love to hear your work if you're able to share! I only use DAWs because the only instrument I play is piano, and I have a MIDI capable digital piano as well as a mini MIDI keyboard. I've tried to learn guitar, but it just wasn't my thing! With the DAW I'm able to use synths and instruments I wouldn't be able to use otherwise :) Though if I were able to play more than just piano, I'd definitely be looking into creating analog audio!
Music has incredible powers :) That's really cool!

I do have my old Pre-transition demos kicking around, I'll probably digitize a couple tis week
  •  

V M

Been playing guitar, bass, keyboards and drums and writing my own music for years but never seem to get the hang of using the various music programs

A friend of mine did help me with it back in the '80s but the best I can muster is operating an 8 track recorder

It would be nice to have someone tudor me on some of the modern programs but for now I am all about the live show 
The main things to remember in life are Love, Kindness, Understanding and Respect - Always make forward progress

Superficial fanny kissing friends are a dime a dozen, a TRUE FRIEND however is PRICELESS

- V M
  •  

Jennifer RachaelAnn

I write lyrics once in a while, but nothing I could share publicly here. If I had to put a label on the type of music I write, it would be best described as Hate Metal. Like I said, I can't share it here, but I have a few songs written.
"There are many who would take my time. I shun them.
There are some who share my time. I am entertained by them.
There are precious few who contribute to my time. I cherish them."

-Anton Szandor LaVey

•  

Lady Lisandra

Hello! I'm studying music, but for now I've been mostly instrumentalist. My main instrument is the contrabass, but I can also play some piano, and percussion. Just a few months ago I decided to work on my composition abilities. I don't havr anything finished, but a lot of ideas and parts of song recorded on paper and DAWs.
- Lis -
  •  

gooseberry

I play guitar and sing. I write my own songs. Going back 3 or 4 years, I used to play at jamming sessions at the pub. I used to get some strange comments, some said I sounded like a "female david bowie" others said "why are you trying to sound like a man?" I'm ftm, but I wasn't "trying to sound like a man," I was just singing the way that felt right to me.

I enjoy singing, playing and writing but can't imagine doing it publicly again until after I'm on hormones! (Still waiting right now)

I'm not that great at guitar, as in, I can't rinse, but I'm good at playing rhythm and... basically coming up with a decent backdrop for what my voice is doing. :D
  •  

Steele

I'm not playing on any instrument, but writing music in FL Studio. It provides many electronic instruments, I started using it in 2007 and was really happy after eJay app  ;D In 2009 my voice became very femine and I started to adding vocal to my music. After 7 years of denial I resumed this hobby, In few days I will start vocal lessons, I hope that will help to sound my songs more correctly.
  •