Susan's Place Logo

News:

According to Google Analytics 25,259,719 users made visits accounting for 140,758,117 Pageviews since December 2006

Main Menu

On being Liz

Started by LizK, March 08, 2017, 05:23:47 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

LizK

Today was going to be a 20-30 Electrolysis session to clean up my cheek a bit more. I shaved on Monday so by now I would normally have enough growth for that to happen. On Tuesday when I showed the Electrologist she was sceptical that there would be enough growth by today. She TXT me last night to see how I was going and I told her I couldn't really see properly and would let her know in the daylight today...

So yes there is hair there to work on but it is spread over a large area and is very sparse...there is also the much finer secondary growth which after only 4 days is still way too short to work with...I can see it but that is looking in a magnifying mirror...I really struggle to see it with my glasses on...

So finally after nearly 12 months HRT with 10 months at full transitional dose my hair is finally starting to slow on my body and my face...I "felt" it was and noticed it about a week ago but wasn't sure. I did have a bit of a slow down awhile ago but this is much more obvious to me... :icon_dance: :icon_dance:

Bummer I can't have work done today :( ...no problem really...I have another Lip session on Tuesday which will be 6 days to grow it in,  it is mainly secondary growth which is really slow YaY!...kind of. With the timings now sorted out so there is at most 5 minutes between delivery of the injections and starting Electrolysis work...If it works well this next time, then she will clear what ever is left of my top lip and start work on my cheek...

HRT.... I love ya work  ;D ;D
Transition Begun 25 September 2015
HRT since 17 May 2016,
Fulltime from 8 March 2017,
GCS 4 December 2018
Voice Surgery 01 February 2019
  •  

LizK

HRT since 17 May 2016,
GCS 4 December 2018
  •  

LizK

Today is day 365 since starting HRT....and how am I going to celebrate that..well, I thought I might go and get some hair blasted off my face for an hour after my Dr has stuck my top lip full of needles for the second time in as many weeks...it just all went wrong last week....I can only hope we are back on track today....There is only a 15 minute window between Injections and Electrolysis...so should have plenty of numbing power to get me through one of these tough sessions...last week it was nearly 45 minutes between injection and start of treatment...Injections ran early and my Tech ran late...worst possible combination...then I didn't have enough growth on Friday for a top up session. Hope today is better as it is the only injection appointment I can get for this month the second one cancelled yesterday.

Been an insightful week...spoke with my Parents on Mothers day via Skype with my wife and girls as well. My mother tried really hard not use my old name of any pronouns, she did a great job and wanted to chat to me about what clothes I was taking on my trip this weekend, my father tried to rudely put a stop to that conversation, My Mum just glared at him...Oh hell!!!, you don't want to be on the end of one of those looks...my father bulldozed his way like normal, not even making an effort not to misname or misgender me for the entire call. But my Mother made a very special effort and I could feel it and hear it. I am so happy that she is starting to get some ease around this and we are starting to talk.

One of my daughters got really peeved with my Dad misgendering me and loudly and with emphasis used "she and her" pronouns at every opportunity she could. I could see my father flinch each time she used it and it made me inwardly smile wryly ( if not a little sickly) When the call finished my Wife and both daughters were livid with my father for his transphobic display...a long time ago he spat at me that both he my mother would never use anything but the name and pronouns I was born with. But my mother is not like that, my mother is really trying.... I really want to shut him out for awhile but I do not want to do anything to jeopardise the progress my mum has made...so I may have to work on Dad in a different way...hmmm not sure, will have to give it some thought. If I leave Mum alone she will get there, I am confident of that.

Heading off on Friday for the reunion and have been eating truckload of humble pie as the mess of stuff I am taking grows exponentially each day...I have 23kg of Luggage room...which you would think should be enough for 2 days  ;D I will make it fit...The excitement levels for the reunion are ever increasing and many of these people knew me 25 years ago and I have not seen them since my last day working with them. It is going to be a full on few days and should be a hoot.

Time to get ready for my fun filled Electrolysis session :)
HRT since 17 May 2016,
GCS 4 December 2018
  •  

Laurie

Hey Liz,

It is so sad to have a family member act like such a donkeys backside, Something like having one believe god can fix you. Yeah, sad.
  I am glad you have your mother making the effort for you and you are right sometimes you just cannot push if you want to win them over. Some just have to arrive at that destination on their own.

I not going into your self imposed facial torture efforts. Like Shy I have my own demons to confront on Thursday I will be there armed for battle."We shall overcome"  though it will be "The long and winding road"

Just relax, close that bag even if you have to sit on it and run off to your soire. And most important girl....
     ENJOY YOURSELF.

Hugs,
    Laurie
April 13, 2019 switched to estradiol valerate
December 20, 2018    Referral sent to OHSU Dr Dugi  for vaginoplasty consult
December 10, 2018    Second Letter VA Psychiatric Practical nurse
November 15, 2018    First letter from VA therapist
May 11, 2018 I am Laurie Jeanette Wickwire
May   3, 2018 Submitted name change forms
Aug 26, 2017 another increase in estradiol
Jun  26, 2017 Last day in male attire That's full time I guess
May 20, 2017 doubled estradiol
May 18, 2017 started electrolysis
Dec   4, 2016 Started estradiol and spironolactone

•  

BeverlyAnn

Quote from: ElizabethK on May 15, 2017, 06:45:05 PM

Been an insightful week...spoke with my Parents on Mothers day via Skype with my wife and girls as well. My mother tried really hard not use my old name of any pronouns, she did a great job and wanted to chat to me about what clothes I was taking on my trip this weekend, my father tried to rudely put a stop to that conversation, My Mum just glared at him...Oh hell!!!, you don't want to be on the end of one of those looks...my father bulldozed his way like normal, not even making an effort not to misname or misgender me for the entire call. But my Mother made a very special effort and I could feel it and hear it. I am so happy that she is starting to get some ease around this and we are starting to talk.

One of my daughters got really peeved with my Dad misgendering me and loudly and with emphasis used "she and her" pronouns at every opportunity she could. I could see my father flinch each time she used it and it made me inwardly smile wryly ( if not a little sickly) When the call finished my Wife and both daughters were livid with my father for his transphobic display...a long time ago he spat at me that both he my mother would never use anything but the name and pronouns I was born with. But my mother is not like that, my mother is really trying.... I really want to shut him out for awhile but I do not want to do anything to jeopardise the progress my mum has made...so I may have to work on Dad in a different way...hmmm not sure, will have to give it some thought. If I leave Mum alone she will get there, I am confident of that.

I sent you an email concerning this.

Hugs,
Bev
Always forgive your enemies; nothing annoys them so much. - Oscar Wilde

•  

LizK

Quote from: Laurie on May 15, 2017, 08:54:44 PM
Hey Liz,

........ It is so sad to have a family member act like such a donkeys backside, Something like having one believe god can fix you. Yeah, sad.
  I am glad you have your mother making the effort for you and you are right sometimes you just cannot push if you want to win them over. Some just have to arrive at that destination on their own......

Hugs,
    Laurie

Hi Laurie

To be perfectly honest I am a bit fed up with it. I am not going to keep interacting with him in ways that will hurt me. At some point he needs to either believe I am a woman and move on or don't believe it and stay out of my life. He is the only one that can make that choice. I don't have to listen to being misnamed and misgendered and the next time it happens I will ask him to try a bit harder not too. I will work with him and help in any way I can, but very soon it will be 2 years since I came out to him and my patience for this stuff is wearing thin. Anyway enough about that about a much more fun topic Electrolysis

Yesterday I had another 40 minutes on my top lip along the edge of my nose and along my scar line and the corners along the lip line

The upper lip injection effectiveness was very limited...Early in the session I felt next to nothing but within 15 minutes the effectiveness had halved..whilst I could still feel the sting it was tolerable, We were going really well and hit the 35 minute mark and she had already done along under my nose skipping my scar and down along the corner lip line and higher up either side of my nose. She did my scar line and my eyes began at the same time as my nose and within 2 minutes I was shuddering involuntarily...she got maybe half them done and then called the session at the 40 minute mark...I love Electrolysis (Gritted teeth)

Been slowly working out what I am taking way for the weekend...can do it on 3 outfits with mix and match options that will cover everything from the casual BBQ to the formal Diner. Everyone has said how much they are looking for ward to catching up so it should be fun. Will spend tomorrow packing and going over and over what I am taking adding and culling all day....think I better make a list!!!

Went for my Laser treatment today...and there are only two main area's need working on...horseshoe shape,sq imagine the top of the bend in the horseshoe rests on my chin and then goes either side down towards the bottom of my neck and then slightly out...everywhere else is looking "pretty clear". She said 8-10 weeks for my next one if I need it...I didn't have the heart to tell her it would be long gone in 8-10 weeks as Electrolysis will have taken care of it...She has wiped out all but one(she couldn't see it) dark hair on my top lip with Electrolysis...she gave it a couple o

HRT since 17 May 2016,
GCS 4 December 2018
  •  

LizK

:icon_birthday: :icon_birthday: :icon_birthday:

I'm throwing a virtual 1 year HRT party and you are all virtually invited...  :icon_geekdance: :icon_geekdance:

Quote from: ElizabethK on May 17, 2016, 04:32:34 AM
snip......

In about June of last year I came to Susans and was in an absolute mess. The only future I could see, was me ending up in a pine box. I found here friendly, helpful and sane(in the most part) people. Thank you Susan for this site, you do a fantastic job at keeping us safe, among other things. Thank you to the moderators who do a fantastic job and thank you to each and every one of you that responded to my posts, you all helped me to find a way through the fog.

One other thing though, I keep finding myself grinning like a fool for no apparent reason...wonder why that could be. :D :D ;)

Liz K

This is part of the post I made 12 months ago after taking my first dose of HRT...just hoping anything would help me deal with my Dysphoria...which has alwasy been my main goal..to deal with my Dysphoria and do whatever it took to make it stop...It is possibly one of the smartest things I have ever done for myself in my life.

Liz

HRT since 17 May 2016,
GCS 4 December 2018
  •  

Laurie

Quote from: ElizabethK on May 17, 2017, 05:11:43 AM
:icon_birthday: :icon_birthday: :icon_birthday:

I'm throwing a virtual 1 year HRT party and you are all virtually invited...  :icon_geekdance: :icon_geekdance:

This is part of the post I made 12 months ago after taking my first dose of HRT...just hoping anything would help me deal with my Dysphoria...which has always been my main goal..to deal with my Dysphoria and do whatever it took to make it stop...It is possibly one of the smartest things I have ever done for myself in my life.

Liz

Hi Liz,

Cool  flashback. 

Speaking of electro torture... I am growing out for my first visit to let Christina do her thing Thursday. It's been 2 days and I'm itchy and ready to shave, been ready. I can see the whiskers okay now and as I suspected (wasn't sure) I can see no darker hairs. Not a single one, so laser would not be an option. I guess Christina and I will have a long term relationship starting tomorrow. Oh the joy. :-(

Hugs,
    Laurie

•  

Drexy/Drex

Quote from: ElizabethK on May 15, 2017, 06:45:05 PM
Today is day 365 since starting HRT....and how am I going to celebrate that..well, I thought I might go and get some hair blasted off my face for an hour after my Dr has stuck my top lip full of needles for the second time in as many weeks...it just all went wrong last week....I can only hope we are back on track today....There is only a 15 minute window between Injections and Electrolysis...so should have plenty of numbing power to get me through one of these tough sessions...last week it was nearly 45 minutes between injection and start of treatment...Injections ran early and my Tech ran late...worst possible combination...then I didn't have enough growth on Friday for a top up session. Hope today is better as it is the only injection appointment I can get for this month the second one cancelled yesterday.

Heading off on Friday for the reunion and have been eating truckload of humble pie as the mess of stuff I am taking grows exponentially each day...I have 23kg of Luggage room...which you would think should be enough for 2 days  ;D I will make it fit...The excitement levels for the reunion are ever increasing and many of these people knew me 25 years ago and I have not seen them since my last day working with them. It is going to be a full on few days and should be a hoot.

Time to get ready for my fun filled Electrolysis session :)

Oooo your brave :)
Everything
  Louder
   Than
Everything
    Else
  •  

Shy

A virtual cake coming your way ;D

' ' ' ' '
             l l l l l
       @@@@@@@
     [**H a P p Y ** ]
     [ B i R t H d A y ]
     [****L I Z ****]
     @@@@@@@@@
              )   (
            [____]

Peace and love and all that good stuff,

Sadie
  •  

LizK

Quote from: Shy on May 17, 2017, 10:36:33 AM
A virtual cake coming your way ;D

' ' ' ' '
             l l l l l
       @@@@@@@
     [**H a P p Y ** ]
     [ B i R t H d A y ]
     [****L I Z ****]
     @@@@@@@@@
              )   (
            [____]

Peace and love and all that good stuff,

Sadie

Thanks Sadie

Just what I need more virtual calories  :D

Let me grab some forks and plates...everyone have a drink?...good now who's for cake?
HRT since 17 May 2016,
GCS 4 December 2018
  •  

Laurie

Quote from: ElizabethK on May 17, 2017, 05:45:47 PM
Thanks Sadie

Just what I need more virtual calories  :D

Let me grab some forks and plates...everyone have a drink?...good now who's for cake?

(Raising hands and waving frantically)

ME ! ME! ME! I want some!!  My blood sugar isn't too high yet. I want cake! and cookie and ice cream and...

•  

LizK

Quote from: Laurie on May 17, 2017, 09:39:47 AM
  Hi Liz,

Cool  flashback. 

Speaking of electro torture... I am growing out for my first visit to let Christina do her thing Thursday. It's been 2 days and I'm itchy and ready to shave, been ready. I can see the whiskers okay now and as I suspected (wasn't sure) I can see no darker hairs. Not a single one, so laser would not be an option. I guess Christina and I will have a long term relationship starting tomorrow. Oh the joy. :-(

Hugs,
    Laurie

So it must be Wednesday evening for you then...I really hope you breeze in their and find that you can tolerate it really well and end up more bored than anything else. It will be a bit uncomfortable and growing out that first time is not much fun. It will give your Electrologist a better chance of seeing what the entire job entails. Why don't you take some Photo's for yourself so you have something to compare to in a few months when you don't feel like you are making progress...will make you feel better when you can see and compare.

I got zapped again yesterday by laser and I can see where it has finally taken out a number of patches of stubborn black, hairs...wow you know when the thing is working...when it fires and there is no hair, I can't feel it...the moment it zaps a hair I can feel it and when it hit a couple of clusters of a few hairs I could feel the difference.

I am about to go off and start my pack for tomorrow...get it all out check it off and pack it....will be back later this afternoon if I have time.

HRT since 17 May 2016,
GCS 4 December 2018
  •  

LizK

Quote from: markie on May 17, 2017, 09:49:08 AM
Oooo your brave :)

Don't know about brave....the word stupid springs to mind this morning, unprepared is another, you could throw terrified in there.....just to get the ball rolling

I guess I will do what I normally do and that is just get on with it... ;D
HRT since 17 May 2016,
GCS 4 December 2018
  •  

jentay1367

Happy Transiversary Liz! Hope you had a lovely celebration. Lisa
  •  

LizK

Quote from: Laurie on May 17, 2017, 05:54:02 PM
(Raising hands and waving frantically)

ME ! ME! ME! I want some!!  My blood sugar isn't too high yet. I want cake! and cookie and ice cream and...

I wonder how high we could get it...your blood sugars...so Ice cream, cream, nuts , chocolate sprinkle...a little dusting of gold flake and there you have it.....should have you zipping along
HRT since 17 May 2016,
GCS 4 December 2018
  •  

LizK

Quote from: jentay1367 on May 17, 2017, 06:03:30 PM
Happy Transiversary Liz! Hope you had a lovely celebration. Lisa

Thanks Lisa it was a "Blast"  ;D
HRT since 17 May 2016,
GCS 4 December 2018
  •  

Laurie

Quote from: ElizabethK on May 17, 2017, 06:06:01 PM
I wonder how high we could get it...your blood sugars...so Ice cream, cream, nuts , chocolate sprinkle...a little dusting of gold flake and there you have it.....should have you zipping along

Yes, yes, num num num num I love deserts.

Thanks, Liz
  Laurie

•  

LizK

Liz's reunion caper

I flew out to the Gold coast for this reunion last Friday the 19th. This is my first time fulltime being on my own flying, navigating airport security, crowded airports and the like...I don't mind flying but hate all the mucking about that is involved.

Got showered dressed, looking good, bit of light makeup, nervous, excited! I picked up my handbag, grabbed my suitcase, only to hear a loud SNAP!, the wheel had just broken on my suitcase. (Great...why not). Dilemma...rush back in and change suit case?...then run late for check-in or drag bag in and out of Airport etc etc. Decided I would just have to suck it up! Did I pack light??? No way, I did have 23kg to use after all...(sigh!) Arrive at the airport with a  good amount of time to get through check-in and security. Usual full body search stuff due to my implanted medication pump...sigh!! Tedious!

As I walked out the doors of the Gold Coast Airport to get my suitcase, the first thing I hear is a woman yelling "There she is" and was met by three of my old nursing girlfriends. They were wearing party decoration hats with heart shaped glasses, twirling banners and holding a heart shaped chalk sign that read "Liz's 'Trans' port"....I couldn't help myself and burst out laughing. That set the tone for the weekend.

They (about 20 of us) were all really great but the whole weekend was spent talking in context of when I was "Him". I was misnamed on several occasions, however more so misgendered but this was in circumstances that were difficult not to, because of the context and possibly several glasses of booze. I don't drink, so of course I really noticed, far more than they did. Even as affected as many of them were they managed on the most part to include me and use my name and pronouns. However I hear a couple of them refer to me in male pronouns when I wasn't supposed to be  in earshot. On the whole though they were really respectful making few mistakes and these were after a few drinks. How they behaved toward me overall was as important and that was as a woman. I was always included in the girl talk and definitely excluded from the guy talk ...which was an absolute relief. Had so many laughs...shed a few tears also but mainly laughs.

One thing that did drive me crazy was that one entire wall of the living area of our apartment was  floor to ceiling mirrors...this is where the group spent 90% of their time, the room I slept in had a wall of mirrors as well...full body shots is something I usually avoid...not this time.

Earlier in the week my wife and I had spent some time putting together some outfits for the time I was away. Saturday night we are heading off to diner and I was going to be wearing a Blue and white horizontal tripe tunic dress with leggings and knee high boots finished short style black cardigan. As the afternoon progresses and it get closer to the time to get ready a close friend of mine arrives whom I haven't seen in like 5 years and she is wearing the exact same outfit except her dress is ankle length and so are her boots....OMG what are the chances Just as well I hadn't changed fully!!!

Plan B
Handkerchief skirt and top combo, Black with silver pattern along the bottom edge, combined with knee boots and coral cardigan, minimal makeup(it was muggy so kept sliding off anyway) but with a nice plum coloured lipstick. Looking good and feeling great went out for a fabulous night of laughs and good conversation.

By Sunday morning I was dreading the trip back to Adelaide my dysphoria had kicked off early morning, airports are not my favourite places. I have an implanted medical device which sets off the alarm and they sometimes over react because of the really strong signal it gives. I got through Adelaide and Gold Coast Airports but it was not without incident.

On the whole I really enjoyed the trip and loved the time I spent with my old colleagues. The misgendering by my nursing friends was in the context of telling stories that included me/him but still got to me in the end. Everyone slipped up at least once with me and some more than others but I only detected genuine slips and not a rudeness thing. I really felt like the entire airport was staring at me especially when I got my usual full body search after setting off the scanners. It's like having a neon sign above your head saying " Would all those people with nothing to look at please Look Here" So I found a quiet place to sit and tried to make myself as invisible as possible.

One thing I did not expect was the whole Toilet thing, I know Adelaide, I know where safe Toilets are. I know where they are in proximity to places I go. I know I have the law on my side...but I do not want the hassle nor embarrassment. But in the end I just went as and when I needed.

When I arrived back in Adelaide and I saw my wife and burst into tears...it took me quite an effort to bet myself back under control. I got upset and had been really out of sorts ever since, Hence why it has taken so long for me to post this. It came down to a few things...I was misgendered and misnamed more times in those 36 hours than ever before and it was very hard to take.  I know these people at my reunion respected me and most did not intentionally try to misname or misgender me but that also did not stop it happening nor feeling really horrible because it was happening what fel like constantly...in reality it was mainly Friday night as the booze flowed. It also has a cumulative effect, with an abundance of mirrors and my Dysphoria was really singing along by Sunday morning.

I think the most confusing thing for me was that I had enjoyed myself so much yet managed to experience some pretty awful Dysphoria especially from Sunday right through until Thursday.

Hormones? Maybe, I will get them checked as soon as my blood form arrives. I saw my Psychologist on Friday and we discussed this at length. Her thoughts were pretty darn simple...all that misgendering triggered my Dysphoria and since it was being compounded by the continual (but accidental) misgendering the relief from it never occurred until I left. When I arrived home and saw my wife I was able to release some of that pent up stress as I tried to make sense of my feelings about the weekend. I tried to tell my therapist that the real problem was I was just going to have to accept that I would live my days out as a non-passing Trans woman...her response "How do you know you don't pass. What evidence was presented to you that told you directly that you don't pass ...I hate it when she beats me with logic!!!   

She promptly gave me some "homework and a swift but positive kick in the slats"   She pointed out that  for most cis people flying and navigating airports is stressful enough, but add to this the reunion, my hassles with security due to my implant, my desire not to be singled out in any way, oh yeah and did I mention I was trans,  add to this I spent the weekend talking , about "him", to people who I have not seen for 30 years...yeah there could be stress.  Maybe a case could be made that my feelings were actually not so out of the ordinary. 

The most surprising thing to me is that my dysphoria is still capable of taking me to emotional places that I don't want to go. So I am working on that and the misgendering. I am running a diary for me to see if between my psychologist and I we can't work out some better coping strategies than the ones I have, which were essentially, none!

PS: Hey Laurie (waves back)

HRT since 17 May 2016,
GCS 4 December 2018
  •  

Devlyn

Big hug! What a roller coaster ride. I have to ask, though:

"...and I was going to be wearing a Blue and white horizontal stripe tunic dress..."

Is that dress blue or gold?    >:-)    <running away>

Hugs, Devlyn
  •