Susan's Place Logo

News:

Visit our Discord server  and Wiki

Main Menu

On being Liz

Started by LizK, March 08, 2017, 05:23:47 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

LizK

Today was going to be Electrolysis but I got a call from my Tech saying she was going home sick and rescheduled me for Thursday. I don't mind too much but I am a little irritated that I have to go another 2 days without getting rid of the fluff....It has now been over 2 weeks since I shaved underneath my chin and that immediate areas has a couple of dozen black secondary growth hairs which while they don't feel scratchy are now highly visible, I can also feel them because they are as long as they are and the rest is not visible...I will just have to continue to wear scarves for the next few days.

I have to grow out for such a long time these days otherwise the hair is not visible for it to be taken...you can't rely on touch anymore it has to be by sight. But of course still interspersed with these really slow growing light hairs are secondary regrowth hairs in sparse groupings of 3-4 but enough to take an hour to clear my entire neck...after that it is going to be just clean up as far as I can tell with one further Dental block booked to clear any stragglers on my top lip and clear the remains of my bottom lip and chin...its all a journey  :D

I think I can feel some gaming coming on....
Transition Begun 25 September 2015
HRT since 17 May 2016,
Fulltime from 8 March 2017,
GCS 4 December 2018
Voice Surgery 01 February 2019
  •  

LizK

Its been a busy few days since I last posted but my head has been slowly taken over by thoughts of seeing my GCS Surgeon tomorrow for the first time.

I have to fly interstate to do it so am not looking forward to that part of it. I will get searched as I have an implanted medical device which throws them into frenzy because it makes such a loud beep when detected. Sounds like a foghorn going off to me  :D ...anyway I am used to it now and prepare as much as possible.

Not even sure what questions I have for my surgeon, I have some basic stuff ticked off in my head but as this is the initial consult there will be no decisions made tomorrow. By all accounts he is good at what he does, My new HRT Dr can look after my post op care and has trained with this surgeon so all in all it sounds great. My biggest worry is being able to fund it, but by this time tomorrow I will know what I have to do to work it out.

It feels a bit cruel really, I am going to see the surgeon even though I doubt I can afford the surgery....if I go out side of Australia (which I can afford) that will cause me other significant issues so I am only left with Australia as a choice. I will have to wait and see what can be done and what the actual costs are.

I used to think all the time about being able to have this surgery and what I would trade just to be able to experience it even for just an hour....Now faced with the reality of getting the surgery, I find it remains just out of my reach. I understand the surgical risks, the "maintenance", the possible post op complications. Mingled with all this is the question of  why? My head tells me all the reasons I should not do this as well as a few reason why I should but my heart is unquestioningly yes this is what is supposed to be...this is who I am. 

One step at a time, attend the first appointment, find out what he requires, what it costs and move on from there. I will update how things went when I return.
HRT since 17 May 2016,
GCS 4 December 2018
  •  

HappyMoni

Liz,
   Wishing u good luck. The surgery is something that if you have the need, it doesn't let you go.
Moni
If I ever offend you, let me know. It's not what I am about.
"Never let the dark kill your light!"  (SailorMars)

HRT June 11, 2015. (new birthday) - FFS in late June 2016. (Dr. _____=Ugh!) - Full time June 18, 2016 (Yeah! finally) - GCS June 27, 2017. (McGinn=Yeah!) - Under Eye repair from FFS 8/17/17 - Nose surgery-November 20, 2017 (Dr. Papel=Yeah) - Hair Transplant on June 21, 2018 (Dr. Cooley-yeah) - Breast Augmentation on July 10, 2018 (Dr. Basner in Baltimore) - Removed bad scarring from FFS surgery near ears and hairline in August, 2018 (Dr. Papel) -Sept. 2018, starting a skin regiment on face with Retin A  April 2019 -repairing neck scar from FFS

]
  •  

LizK

Thanks  Moni I appreciate your words of encouragement.

I went and saw Dr Ives and it was all very routine and matter of fact. He told me of his requirements  to which I fit and he will do the surgery anytime after may next year...I would need to put a few things in place so it would be more like September October next year. I don't follow how much my costs will be and will need to work it out. But I may be able to afford it...just need to research. But before I worry about any of that I need to make the decision about surgery. When I saw the surgeon it was so low key and matter of fact it took my breath away....no marching band, no fireworks or 21 gun salute  ;D  just him and I talking casually about the neo vagina he was going to make for me...after all the years, all the pain, all the wishes, all the heartache, here is my deepest longing being offered to me and it overwhelmed me a bit.

So for me the day of decision is close at hand...I don't actually know if it is even a decision. I keep coming up with "logical" reasons why I should not have the surgery. I even did the pro's and con's list....and after all that I still went "Yeah But.." in the pro column....no amount of logic is going to overcome what my heart has told me all my life and I guess I have never believed it possible so now that it is...I am scared. It's easy to be confident in your decision if you don't really think it will ever happen...

I will post more about this I am sure but for the moment...
HRT since 17 May 2016,
GCS 4 December 2018
  •  

Laurie

Quote from: ElizabethK on August 31, 2017, 04:12:44 AM

...after all the years, all the pain, all the wishes, all the heartache, here is my deepest longing being offered to me and it overwhelmed me a bit.

Well of course it did, Liz, You don't have your dreams and desires that you have had for a lifetime offered to you on a platter without feeling overwhelmed. How many years have these been nothing but bright smoke wafting around in your head? To have them begin to take form and appear real is surreal at best. It is going to take this next year to begin to be believable.

....no amount of logic is going to overcome what my heart has told me all my life

Logic My Dear, has never had a place in the affairs of the heart. It tried but can only muddy the waters of your soul. Your heart says yes and logic usually will tell you no. It's when you go with your heart that you become free to be yourself. Listen to your heart, Liz, listen to your heart and hear it sing.

...I am scared. It's easy to be confident in your decision if you don't really think it will ever happen...

If the prospect of doing this did not scare you I would have to wonder about you Liz. Oh, wait, I already wonder about you girl. It must be living your whole life upside down that unbalances you. It's all that blood that puddles in your head that make you strange. But back to the fear thing. This change is the biggest decision you will make in your life and you don't want to make a mistake. But, Liz you know it's not a mistake. It's what you need, not just what you want. The cost is a lot and risk is not small, but to finally be the woman you know you are is priceless. You'll do this and you will love yourself for doing it forever. You know you will. Step to the side and let the fear pass you by.

Hugs,
   Laurie
April 13, 2019 switched to estradiol valerate
December 20, 2018    Referral sent to OHSU Dr Dugi  for vaginoplasty consult
December 10, 2018    Second Letter VA Psychiatric Practical nurse
November 15, 2018    First letter from VA therapist
May 11, 2018 I am Laurie Jeanette Wickwire
May   3, 2018 Submitted name change forms
Aug 26, 2017 another increase in estradiol
Jun  26, 2017 Last day in male attire That's full time I guess
May 20, 2017 doubled estradiol
May 18, 2017 started electrolysis
Dec   4, 2016 Started estradiol and spironolactone

•  

Michelle_P

Liz, I totally understand the overwhelming feeling.  In our youth, many of us heard about the few, rare cases of people who had 'the operation', and it seemed like a dream, something we all longed for, but which looked utterly out of reach.   This thought of 'being right', becoming ourselves seems to linger in the back of our minds no matter how hard we tried to suppress it.

And now!  Now, finally, after so many years of internal pain, self-denial, and even self-loathoing, to be told it's OK, to be offered our dreams, well, that is something far beyond what we hoped for all those years. 

Some days now, I want to stop riding the whirlwind, stand aside, and just contemplate what on earth has happened to me!  But, it doesn't stop, so I hang on, try to look ahead, and take each task as they come. 

I know this is right for me.  I bet if you look deep inside you'll see your answer as well, there beyond the nervous doubts and chaos of what-ifs.

You need to be true to yourself, your authentic self.  That is more important than anything else.
Earth my body, water my blood, air my breath and fire my spirit.

My personal transition path included medical changes.  The path others take may require no medical intervention, or different care.  We each find our own path. I provide these dates for the curious.
Electrolysis - Hours in The Chair: 238 (8.5 were preparing for GCS, five clearings); On estradiol patch June 2016; Full-time Oct 22, 2016; GCS Oct 20, 2017; FFS Aug 28, 2018; Stage 2 labiaplasty revision and BA Feb 26, 2019
Michelle's personal blog and biography
  •  

LizK

Thank you both ladies for your kind words. Sorry for my tardiness in replying

After a few days to think things over and talk to a few people I think the decision about whether or not to have surgery is pretty much resolved with the caveat that I am sure I will re-visit this again further down the track. Time to keep moving forward, any surgery is 12 plus months way and there are many things that could happen between now and then. I also have a number of goals I would like to achieve by then as well....

The next few  days are going to be interesting.

I have my older brother flying in tomorrow whom I haven't seen since this time last year. I have spoken to him on a couple of occasions and he ahs been fully supportive. He has not met Liz per se because when I saw him last time I was still flip flopping presentation and had been on HRT for less than 4 months. I will be picking him up at the airport tomorrow. I have no idea how the day will play out, he has the whole day to spend with us and then we won't see him again as he will be working. Should be a fun day out...my other brother who lives locally will also be around just to liven things up. 

HRT since 17 May 2016,
GCS 4 December 2018
  •  

Jessica Lynne

I hope the surety comes to you, Liz. My friend has chosen to forego the surgery and she contacted me to tell me that she simply wasn't sure. I  assured her it was a personal decision and made her no less of a woman if she chose against it. For now, she's chosen not to decide but is leaning away from the surgery. She's 64 and wonders if it's right for her at this point. I shared that I wanted to help, but in the final analysis, it's her body and her life. I really hope your support system allows you the latitude to make a decision for or against without any undo leverage. It's such a personal decision.  As always, we're all here to share and be of any help we can. Be well. Jess
  •  

Laurie

I'm sure your brother's visit will be a good one Liz.

Laurie

•  

LizK

My older brothers visit was a great day and we spent most of it chatting and catching up...the other part was taken up with eating :D I was surprised at his total lack of understanding about trans stuff however as we chatted he picked up the important stuff. He had some basic ideas but had no real idea of how complex being trans can be. By the end of the day I am sure I had answered all his questions (including some being asked by my parents by the sound of them). I explained how things were with Mum and Dad and why I don't contact them like I used to. He also didn't realise that they had never had a real conversation like the one I was having with him and if my parents would have this conversation it would most likely be very beneficial for them. He was so surprised that I had never had that conversation with them yet here I was having a second one with him a year after the first almost to the day. All in all it went well and I enjoyed being with him. I know he loves and supports me...he has made this really clear.

Unfortunately I am almost certain I have however lost my younger brother who lives here in Adelaide with me. He had made some crazy accusation which he used as an excuse to stay away for 4 months and it turned out he was really angry over a message he misinterpreted(he acknowledged this). At the time it didn't make any sense to me how he could think what he did, taking such extreme action of refusing to contact me for 4 months?? it was missing a certain amount of basic logic and then within days of this, his wife posted some horrible thing on Facebook in which she conflated being LBGTQI, (singling out intersexed) to marriage to a dog. This was not even in the context of the same sex marriage debate that is happening at the moment. Which generated a number of highly offensive comments, knowing her past history of transphobia, I ignored it, despite its hateful content and the comments it generated. However my younger brother a day or two later went through and liked all the hateful comments and the post. So I called him on it, saying you cannot say you support me and like the horrible stuff the posters in that thread wrote about people like me. He felt there was nothing wrong with the post and went on to yell about his wife's right to have her say...it went very quiet when I pointed out to him that I did not care what his wife wrote but when he liked all of the horrible transphobic comments, it was hardly being supportive...he came back yelling again this time bringing all this stuff into it that obviously was bothering him. I gave up after that, clearly this was more, than about him liking some horrible transphobic stuff...

Stepping back and looking at the two incidents that came back to back, it becomes clear that he was looking for a way out of the relationship with me, so I have shown him the door and left the decision to him...I think he may well be getting pressure from his wife in some way. I know she is highly transphobic so it would not surprise me.

It hurts, but time is a great healer and I can at least now think about it with out getting too upset although it is  still a bit raw. I now fall into the majority who have lost someone in their journey wether my shedding them or them leaving it all amounts to the same anyway.
HRT since 17 May 2016,
GCS 4 December 2018
  •  

Laurie

Quote from: ElizabethK on September 19, 2017, 08:30:45 PM

It hurts, but time is a great healer and I can at least now think about it with out getting too upset although it is  still a bit raw. I now fall into the majority who have lost someone in their journey wether my shedding them or them leaving it all amounts to the same anyway.

Yes, yes it does. Just how long does it take to heal? inquiring minds want to know.

•  

LizK

Laurie I don't know if I will ever fully heal. I have spent a large part of my life looking out for this particular brother so for him to turn on me in the way he did is very difficult to heal. I don't know how you get past it but I do know I have gotten harder when it comes to this stuff. I have been on this journey for over 2 years and its about time anyone still having difficulties about me transitioning started to own their stuff. I am no longer taking it on board.
HRT since 17 May 2016,
GCS 4 December 2018
  •  

HappyMoni

Liz,
   So sorry to hear of such a sad and ridiculous response from your brother. I often wonder when hearing of people being hateful, how they would feel if they had an illness and the only surgeon who could save them was trans. Think that attitude might change a bit?
Moni

HRT June 11, 2015. (new birthday) - FFS in late June 2016. (Dr. _____=Ugh!) - Full time June 18, 2016 (Yeah! finally) - GCS June 27, 2017. (McGinn=Yeah!) - Under Eye repair from FFS 8/17/17 - Nose surgery-November 20, 2017 (Dr. Papel=Yeah) - Hair Transplant on June 21, 2018 (Dr. Cooley-yeah) - Breast Augmentation on July 10, 2018 (Dr. Basner in Baltimore) - Removed bad scarring from FFS surgery near ears and hairline in August, 2018 (Dr. Papel) -Sept. 2018, starting a skin regiment on face with Retin A  April 2019 -repairing neck scar from FFS

]
  •  

Jessica Lynne

QuoteIt hurts, but time is a great healer and I can at least now think about it with out getting too upset although it is  still a bit raw. I now fall into the majority who have lost someone in their journey wether my shedding them or them leaving it all amounts to the same anyway.

Time is a healer, Liz. You're strong and you'll be fine. He'll either come around or not. At this point, he needs to come around and apologize. That may or may not happen...but in the end, he's the one that loses out. It's been said glibly before but it bears repeating,  this stuff ain't for sissies. Yo have to be tough as nails to transition. People will never know how hard we work or how much we're forced to sacrifice to be at home in our skin. Someday, maybe, your baby brother will be an adult, till then, you should be able to rest with the fact that you've done all you can. Sometimes we have to walk away from the devastation, make a new path and simply let it be. My heart's with you and I know you're strong. In the end, since you're you, it's all going to work out. :)
  •  

LizK

Thanks to both of you for you thoughts

Moni, I think my brother in his heart knows what he is doing is wrong, he is highly influenced by his wife. I don't think there is any remote chance that I will ever hear from him again.

Jessica Lynne Thank you for you kind words...unfortunately the longer he has known the further away from me he has drifted...He may change his mind then again his past records suggests not...he holds a grudge like most people hold a promise. He has behaved like this before with his other two brothers as a consequence neither of them will have much to do with him. I have now joined my other two brothers...which is sad because he is 47, so I would guess he is never going to grow up.
HRT since 17 May 2016,
GCS 4 December 2018
  •  

LizK

So here I am diligently trying to "decide" as to whether I have surgery or not. I have been thinking about this almost non stop since getting back from Sydney 4 weeks ago...then today I realised what I was having difficulty with. I am trying to make a decision that I have already made...kind of like the alcoholic who says I will never drink again whilst lifting a glass of wine to her lips...The decision about surgery was made long ago and my actions throughout my entire life have been in search of this. I just never expected to actually say yes or no to having the surgery. I never thought this was possible for me...

It just feels to me like a decision has already been made but I am having difficulty accepting the reality of being able to actually do it. Deep down I want this so bad it hurts....no one will see...no one will ever know except me....and that is fine with me....because me is who I am doing this for.

If I am going to have to pay the high price I am for just being me then I will be the complete me that I want. It is now time for me to stand and be true to myself...
HRT since 17 May 2016,
GCS 4 December 2018
  •  

Laurie

Well Lady, it is about time you opened your eyes to see what has always been in front of them.

Hugs'
   Laurie

•  

HappyMoni

Liz,
   You are right, it is for no one but you. I will tell you that at this point after surgery, I don't know if I will ever be fully functional. The thing is, when the clothes come off, when I look down there and see the right anatomy, it is an amazing feeling. It has made such a difference in losing that damn dysphoria itch I have always had, that nagging feeling that something was wrong. You must judge for yourself and find that happy place.
Moni

]
  •  

LizK

Quote from: Laurie on September 21, 2017, 04:21:45 AM
Well Lady, it is about time you opened your eyes to see what has always been in front of them.

Hugs'
   Laurie

I wish it was that simple Laurie  ;D
HRT since 17 May 2016,
GCS 4 December 2018
  •  

LizK

Quote from: HappyMoni on September 21, 2017, 02:55:53 PM
Liz,
   You are right, it is for no one but you. I will tell you that at this point after surgery, I don't know if I will ever be fully functional. The thing is, when the clothes come off, when I look down there and see the right anatomy, it is an amazing feeling. It has made such a difference in losing that damn dysphoria itch I have always had, that nagging feeling that something was wrong. You must judge for yourself and find that happy place.
Moni

I guess I feel similar to you...functionality whilst important is not be all and end all of what I want...I guess for me I feel very indifferent to my genitalia and used to fantasise about it being gone...all the time...for as long as I can remember. I want that final part that will make me feel complete...its about the best I can come up with...I can come up with a 100 reason why not too but none of them have the same weight as the case for surgery....
HRT since 17 May 2016,
GCS 4 December 2018
  •