Susan's Place Logo

News:

According to Google Analytics 25,259,719 users made visits accounting for 140,758,117 Pageviews since December 2006

Main Menu

On being Liz

Started by LizK, March 08, 2017, 05:23:47 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

LizK

Had really nice day today and spent in the company of my Daughter...just pleasant sitting around chatting. Put a colour through my hair so am now similar toi what I was but without the greys!! I really do need a hair cut but am loving the long hair and putting up in  a ponytail...ahhh the simples pleasures...

Well it's on!!...The brother I have been having all the issues with contacted me last week requesting we meet somewhere to talk. I would suggest this is as a result of my Father's intervention. After getting through Xmass, my wife's birthday, 3 funerals and nothing from him I had assumed he had made his decision to stay out of my life                           .

Anyway on Wednesday(Tuesday for the USA) I am going to meet him for a chat at a local restaurant. I don't hold out much hope that things will improve as he is not meeting me to necessarily reconcile but to save face in front of his father. The meeting feels entirely pointless, unless in the unlikely event he is wanting to have some kind of reconciliation which I am very doubtful about but happy in this case to be proved wrong.

I am not entirely sure how to handle it but even if we have a basic conversation I don't see us ever getting to where we were...he carries a lifetime of grudges around with him and trots them out every now and then...as an example he is 48 and still holds a grudge with my uncle from when he was 17 from when he was at boarding school. Go figure??

So I don't think I stand much of a chance of not being added to that sack of grudges. I have grieved the loss of him from my life 2 months ago and I am not expecting to have to do it again. All I can hope is that he will surprise me in a nice way. Anyway won't be holding my breath!!! At this stage I am just hoping he will keep it civil. If not he will find himself on his own.
Transition Begun 25 September 2015
HRT since 17 May 2016,
Fulltime from 8 March 2017,
GCS 4 December 2018
Voice Surgery 01 February 2019
  •  

Cindy

Well!

That could be interesting.

I know that you already know this but that has never stopped me from being Mum (ask Laurie).

You have changed. You have accepted change and grown and developed. Your horizons are broader and your acceptance of life is far more open that it is for most people. I think that this is common for all of us who have successfully transitioned in life.

Transitioning is not physical or social changes, it is not "changing" gender or sexuality. Transitioning is acceptance of yourself and those who successfully transition acknowledge their understanding of themselves. Those who have never faced themselves live in a state perpetual confusion that they never quite understand nor grasp.

Your brother, I feel, may live in that state.

Not sure what the place serves but it could be fun to order Rocky Mountain Oysters >:-)

Cindy

•  

LizK

Thanks Mum  :D ;)

You make a great point and you are right I have changed from that scared angry person that I was. I think you have nailed my brother perfectly...I have been slowing tearing away the façade that once protected Liz and she is now able to breathe.

Rocky Mountail oysters is priceless and I have no doubt it would be lost on him. LOL

Thanks Cindy

Take care

Liz
HRT since 17 May 2016,
GCS 4 December 2018
  •  

Kendra

Liz, best wishes for Wednesday.  Your brother might surprise you, but even if not at least this makes it easier to park some stuff in the past and move on to greater things.

The key thing is you now know who you are, and you're awesome. 
Assigned male at birth 1963.  Decided I wanted to be a girl in 1971.  Laser 2014-16, electrolysis 2015-17, HRT 7/2017, GCS 1/2018, VFS 3/2018, FFS 5/2018, Labiaplasty & BA 7/2018. 
  •  

Anne Blake

Hi Liz, I fully agree with Cindy and Kendra. You have come so far since we began exchanging messages. The Liz that I know has grown so much and while your big heart wants to find unity with family you know that you need to keep your priorities straight. You can still love your brother but keep him at enough distance to protect your self.

We know about Rocky Mountain oysters, living here  in the Rocky Mountains, but how did you learn of them half way around the world?

Tia Anne
  •  

LizK

Quote from: Kendra on March 12, 2018, 07:46:29 AM
Liz, best wishes for Wednesday.  Your brother might surprise you, but even if not at least this makes it easier to park some stuff in the past and move on to greater things.

The key thing is you now know who you are, and you're awesome.

Thank you Kendra...In a way I do hope I am wrong and it all works but I also in total agreement with you. I was saying to Meryl the other day when we were talking, that I have grieved for the loss of him and my parents as I new them. I now intend to move on...

It is the amazing support I receive here that makes a big difference in my life and people who I hardly know(compared to family) have shown me amazing understanding and compassion which has made this journey of self discovery so much better...Thanks for being there Kendra
HRT since 17 May 2016,
GCS 4 December 2018
  •  

LizK

Quote from: Anne Blake on March 12, 2018, 02:59:10 PM
Hi Liz, I fully agree with Cindy and Kendra. You have come so far since we began exchanging messages. The Liz that I know has grown so much and while your big heart wants to find unity with family you know that you need to keep your priorities straight. You can still love your brother but keep him at enough distance to protect your self.

We know about Rocky Mountain oysters, living here  in the Rocky Mountains, but how did you learn of them half way around the world?

Tia Anne

Hi Tia Anne

I did not think it possible that my family relationships would end up like this but you are right I have been able to now keep them at enough distance to protect myself. Unfortunately it has taken some time to work this out because of there attempts "not to hurt my feelings". I hope they can all find some peace with this and keeping them uninvolved in my life seems to be the best way to handle it.

We have a similar saying both here in Australia and in New Zealand for "Rocky mountain Oysters" and knowing Cindy's awfully wicked sense of humour(along with our friend google) I was able to work it out. Hmmm don't they sound yummy!!!

Take care

Liz
HRT since 17 May 2016,
GCS 4 December 2018
  •  

Laurie

Hi Miss Liz,

We have talked on this and you know my thoughts. As the others have said, I will hope for the best and I will be right here for you whatever the outcome.

Hugs,
   Laurie

Sent from my LGL44VL using Tapatalk

April 13, 2019 switched to estradiol valerate
December 20, 2018    Referral sent to OHSU Dr Dugi  for vaginoplasty consult
December 10, 2018    Second Letter VA Psychiatric Practical nurse
November 15, 2018    First letter from VA therapist
May 11, 2018 I am Laurie Jeanette Wickwire
May   3, 2018 Submitted name change forms
Aug 26, 2017 another increase in estradiol
Jun  26, 2017 Last day in male attire That's full time I guess
May 20, 2017 doubled estradiol
May 18, 2017 started electrolysis
Dec   4, 2016 Started estradiol and spironolactone

•  

Shy

Best wishes with your brother Liz. Transitioning is hard for everyone involved so if the shutters go up don't take it to heart, you can still love him just the same.
Often time and patience are enough to mend even the greatest of rifts. Just be yourself at all times, people appreciate if someone is honest and sincere with them, even if they may not agree with you or show it.

Big hug,

Peace and love and all that good stuff,

Sadie

•  

LizK

I wanted to give a final update the situation with my brother after our meeting on Wednesday. I was pretty upset after the meeting and for the following couple of days. I am still mulling over what was said but suffice to say I have a far clearer idea of what has transpired since I first came out to him. There are things I suspect and there are things I know for a fact. The meeting itself lasted about 3 1/2 hours.

I was accused of a number of things, none of which was true or even plausible in some cases. It would seem that this has been going on for quite a number of years with him undermining me in several ways. It would appear that he even may have been responsible for "outing" me to my parents prior to my coming out to them in 2015...this would go a long way to explain their odd reaction (or lack of it). It would seem he has been feeding them pieces of information which he may have felt was benign but should have been left to me. Unfortunately the damage is done

I have taken action and have distanced myself from my entire family in order to protect them, my wife, daughters and me from further stress and hurt. When my family impact me in the way that they do it has a flow on effect. I love my family and understand that my parents struggle with me being Trans, especially my mother and Father. When the distress this causes me begins to threaten the relationships with my own family then it's time to limit the possible damage and make some changes

I don't want anyone hurt anymore so I have asked my brother to ensure he keeps things to himself(he won't but I have asked). He said after our discussion he needed to "think about things" before he decided if he wants to have an ongoing relationship with me...he is such an arrogant ass. I do not wish to have anything further to do with him despite what he may decide to do. I will be keeping them all at a distance and unfortunately that also means my extended family as there seems to be some who are upset by my Facebook postings.

I never wanted this and tried for the last 3 years to prevent this from happening have put a number of things in place so that they have very little to no interaction or contact with me in the hope that it will reduce any stress they may have by having to interact with me. There will be no more Skypes, Phone calls or meetings. I will contact them on Fathers/Mother's Day, Birthdays and anniversaries via a card, txt or email but nothing that involves chatting. I can't trust that what I say won't me misinterpreted and blown up like so many of the things my brother accuses me of.
I am and always have been one to give people the benefit of the doubt however this is now over and I will not be speaking to them of it again.  :'( :'(
HRT since 17 May 2016,
GCS 4 December 2018
  •  

Jayne01

Liz, I'm so sorry it has come to this. You have done everything possible. Your own family will always come first. It sounds like you have a very strong relationship with your wife and daughters. They are what's most important in your life.

You can always retain a little hope that things with your brother and parents become better over time, but that is entirely up to them. You have done all you can do.

Here is one of those virtual hugs I wish I could make real.

(((((HUG)))))

Jayne
  •  

Kendra

Oh wow Liz... I am so sorry it came to this.  But you are incredibly strong, and your post here shows you are already far ahead of the game. 
Assigned male at birth 1963.  Decided I wanted to be a girl in 1971.  Laser 2014-16, electrolysis 2015-17, HRT 7/2017, GCS 1/2018, VFS 3/2018, FFS 5/2018, Labiaplasty & BA 7/2018. 
  •  

Megan.

Big hugs Liz.

Sadly, family often know how how to hurt us the most, and this is from where we only ever receive love.

My relatives all live within a 30 minute drive of me, but i see them rarely since my transition. My mum even requested I no  longer send cards to her on typical occasions, they are now only addressed to my father.

As always, you have a wonderful family here who love you unconditionally. X

Sent from my MI 5s using Tapatalk

•  

Jessica

I'm sorry Liz that your brother has acted the way he has.  I think he doesn't really understand that his actions reflect his own insecurities of his own life and the need to deflect attention to something else.  Unable to accept anything that doesn't fit his vision of how he wants things, not caring that everyone has their own valid vision of life.  He sounds selfish and could do with a few sessions of self awareness therapy.  Unlikely to work though, considering it all.

Jess

"If you go out looking for friends, you are going to find they are very scarce.  If you go out to be a friend, you'll find them everywhere."

•  

davina61

Well its there loss. it always makes me wonder why folk can be total  a holes. Still its less stress on you now ( that's my every cloud has a silver lining ) BIG HUGS
a long time coming (out) HRT 12 2017
GRS 2021 5th Nov

Jill of all trades mistress of non
Know a bit about everything but not enough to be clever
  •  

Drexy/Drex

Feel for you Liz ...you are a family person.....
small minded people are a plague .....
Everything
  Louder
   Than
Everything
    Else
  •  

Shy

Sorry to here things didn't work out for you Liz.

All any of us can do is be ourselves, not what others want us to be to fit in with their world view.

Treasure what you have got and maybe in the future attitudes may soften towards us trans folk.

Peace and love and all that good stuff,

Sadie
  •  

Michelle_P

I just caught up on this.  Ouch!

I can definitely relate to your situation, Liz, as you likely know.  I'm sorry you've been hit with this. It does sound like you are taking the only reasonable actions that you can.

Just know that as others have done in the past, you can build a new family, a more accepting and welcoming family for yourself.  Over time, this will happen and you wil find you are doing better.

Hugs,
Michelle
Earth my body, water my blood, air my breath and fire my spirit.

My personal transition path included medical changes.  The path others take may require no medical intervention, or different care.  We each find our own path. I provide these dates for the curious.
Electrolysis - Hours in The Chair: 238 (8.5 were preparing for GCS, five clearings); On estradiol patch June 2016; Full-time Oct 22, 2016; GCS Oct 20, 2017; FFS Aug 28, 2018; Stage 2 labiaplasty revision and BA Feb 26, 2019
Michelle's personal blog and biography
  •  

LizK

Thank you all for the Kind words. I have been keeping a low profile and sorting my way through the myriad of emotions that come up when something like this happen. But I have to say I am sleeping better again...still missing an appetite but I am sure that will come.

On to brighter things

New Glasses

I really like them and love the different colours in the frames which are hard to see in this Picture. heading out to a group support meeting soon but thought I would just do a quick update whilst I had the chance!

Take care

Liz
HRT since 17 May 2016,
GCS 4 December 2018
  •  

Kendra

Very nice!  And you look great in that shirt.
  •