Susan's Place Logo

News:

Based on internal web log processing I show 3,417,511 Users made 5,324,115 Visits Accounting for 199,729,420 pageviews and 8.954.49 TB of data transfer for 2017, all on a little over $2,000 per month.

Help support this website by Donating or Subscribing! (Updated)

Main Menu

Longer hairstyles?

Started by NotSure81, March 20, 2017, 10:21:46 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

NotSure81

I like my hair long, but never really admitted it to anyone. I've had several friends who preferred me with long hair and others prefer me with short hair. Now my girlfriend kind of likes when my hair is long but at times it quite gets in the way. I'm an electrician and I'm in and out of a lot of nasty environments and long hair can be a problem. I've mentioned needing to get my hair cut, but deep down I don't want to, and have loosely mentioned my girlfriend likes my hair long.

What are some hairstyles that work on men for longer hair. My hair is currently too short to pony tail and if I cut it, I will feel like I'll end up with a mullet. As of now work has no knowledge of my intention to transition at some point.

See avatar for current hair.

I typically don't do anything to it other than briefly comb it. I don't want to get into an elaborate styling procedure to make it look presentable. Worst case scenario, I chop it short again. :(
  •  

Rayna

Can you stuff it into a hat?
If so, then why not?
  •  

big kim

Lots of gel slicked back like Jax in SOA. I had a grown out DA like this while pre transition in 1989/90
  •  

sophie1904

You're at the same stage as me, I believe it's described as the dreaded awkward stage ...

That is, not long enough to put in a pony tail or have enough weight to keep itself in place and instead, gets blown around everywhere everytime you move your head?

Advice? Patience - everyone with long hair has to grow past this point - I'm at about 6 months of growth and expect to be in the awkward stage for the next 6 months but afterwards, it'll be done (and I'll never cut it short again!)
  •  

zirconia

Hi, AlexisLee

Provided that you don't cut your own hair I'd suggest telling your hair stylist that you want to grow it and to trim accordingly. Monthly adjustments (or whatever intervals you go) will keep it tidy as it grows.

For what it's worth, on average one year of unchecked growth amounts to the difference between a buzz cut and shoulder length—so judging from the length you already have the awkward stage shouldn't be that terribly long.
  •  

Colleen_definitely

Lots of gel and hairspray to slick it back is how I roll now.  I am about as long as you are in your avatar, so I can't tie it back low enough to be masculine about it, it won't stay behind my ears, and is generally annoying.  Looks great after some hot curlers though  ;D

As our ashes turn to dust, we shine like stars...
  •  

Niki Knight

Hi Hon

Slick it back until its long enough to put in a pony tail. I hated that stage where it always looks messy and its un manageable. Hang in there it will grow out. I have had long hair all my life and it has helped with the dysphoria and my transition overall.

And Don't cut it...lol you will be happier for it in the long run if you like long hair.

Huggs Niki
  •  

Rayna

Quote from: Colleen_definitely on March 21, 2017, 07:55:15 AM
Looks great after some hot curlers though
This brings up another possibility. Our son has intensely curly hair. It sticks out from his head only an inch, but when he pulls out an individual hair, it's 5 or 6 inches. Can you get a very tight perm?
If so, then why not?
  •  

p

Patience! You will not regret waiting through the awkward in-between phase.

As for work, bobby pins and/or hair clips (very cheap at drugstore) can help to keep the pieces on the side away from your face. You can also pull what fits into a pony tail back and then clip the sides in place to keep them out of your face.
Patti

Something is off - 2016-17
Out to husband - 2/14/17
Full-time - 3/9/17
HRT - 6/14/17
  •  

ainsley

Some people say I'm apathetic, but I don't care.

Wonder Twin Powers Activate!
Shape of A GIRL!
  •  

staciM

I'm in the same boat.  Unless you want the back considerably longer than the front/sides isn't it advised to trim the back (slightly) until the sides catch-up?
- Staci -
  •  

ainsley

I didn't, I grew mine out all at once and got a trim annually.
Have not had mine cut in 14 months. lol
Some people say I'm apathetic, but I don't care.

Wonder Twin Powers Activate!
Shape of A GIRL!
  •  

cheryl reeves

I use hair spray and it's long enough to pony tail when I'm at work,or going someplace where I have to look respectable. I haven't cut mine in 3 yrs.and if I do it's going to be feathered back.
  •  

Deborah

I just tuck my shoulder length hair behind my ears at work and don't worry about what anyone thinks.   Before I started growing it there it was pretty much a standard military haircut so it's quite a change.

The only time I do the ponytail is when I am running. 

While it was growing I just brushed it the best I could and used hairspray.

Conform and be dull. —James Frank Dobie, The Voice of the Coyote
Love is not obedience, conformity, or submission. It is a counterfeit love that is contingent upon authority, punishment, or reward. True love is respect and admiration, compassion and kindness, freely given by a healthy, unafraid human being....  - Dan Barker

U.S. Army Retired
  •  

NotSure81

Wow! Lots of replies. Thanks everyone.

My hair was waaay longer than this when I first started working for the company (almost halfway down my shoulder blades). I got it cut short (about 1/2 long) and this length is almost 10-11 months of growth.

With luck I'm hoping to start seeing a therapist in the next few months and maybe (hopefully) low dose hrt so I can start a stealth transition so I'll just keep growing it out and at some point get it trimmed but keep it long.

I'll give the bobby pins a shot and see how it goes. I'm reluctant to use hair spray because the less flammable stuff I wear the better and I would probably require a ton of it.

I've never considered curls, but I'll experiment sometime over a weekend when I have a full weekend and see what develops. :)

Thanks again for all the replies, I've got some stuff to experiment with.
  •  

Fresas con Nata

Quote from: AlexisLee on March 21, 2017, 07:23:59 PM
My hair was waaay longer than this when I first started working for the company (almost halfway down my shoulder blades). I got it cut short (about 1/2 long) and this length is almost 10-11 months of growth.

My same story. When I joined my current company I had long hair, then I cut it (I remember, it was a July 7th and Mika was on the radio) and am now regrowing it. I'm in the same rebel stage and use hair spray to tame it. I'm afraid using bobby pins would raise some alarms at work since I'm not out there :)
  •  

Colleen_definitely

Quote from: RandyL on March 21, 2017, 08:40:45 AM
This brings up another possibility. Our son has intensely curly hair. It sticks out from his head only an inch, but when he pulls out an individual hair, it's 5 or 6 inches. Can you get a very tight perm?

Oh no, it is not something for boy mode at all.  I don't know if they even make something that can curl as tight as that to be honest.

Quote from: Fresas con Nata on March 22, 2017, 02:42:25 AM
I'm afraid using bobby pins would raise some alarms at work since I'm not out there :)

For me I can't wear them either but mostly because they're likely to get sucked into a really expensive high powered magnet.
As our ashes turn to dust, we shine like stars...
  •  

NotSure81

Ah yes... Good thing you mentioned the high powered magnet. I may not be able to get away with metal clips or anything because I also do occasional work around MRI machines and their support equipment. But I usually know ahead of time so I could accommodate. Till then I'll just have to deal with the awkward length.
  •  

Raelynn

Quote from: Deborah on March 21, 2017, 05:01:29 PM
I just tuck my shoulder length hair behind my ears at work and don't worry about what anyone thinks.   Before I started growing it there it was pretty much a standard military haircut so it's quite a change.

The only time I do the ponytail is when I am running. 

While it was growing I just brushed it the best I could and used hairspray.

Conform and be dull. —James Frank Dobie, The Voice of the Coyote
Lol. I was the same. I went from a 'high and tight' 7 years ago to the middle of my back this year. Up until about a month ago, I hadn't had anything more than trimming the split ends. Last cut I took of about 6" for the summer.

I understand the quandary of the OP and working in a trade. I'm a home builder and it DOES get in the way. I have learned to keep ponytail bands in my SUV for when I get out to check on my houses. Pine sap from the lumber is the WORST thing to get in your hair!

Rae
  •  

NotSure81

Quote from: Raelynn on March 25, 2017, 07:47:21 PMPine sap from the lumber is the WORST thing to get in your hair!

Oh god yes... Something else that's terrible is mastic. I had that get in my hair when I was still new in the trade and luckily I got it out before it dried. If I didn't, I would have went from more hair than I have now to a skinhead.
  •