Susan's Place Logo

News:

According to Google Analytics 25,259,719 users made visits accounting for 140,758,117 Pageviews since December 2006

Main Menu

Longer hairstyles?

Started by NotSure81, March 20, 2017, 10:21:46 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Raelynn

Ouch. Never thought about mastic! Yeah that would be bad! The only advice that I can give you is:  Be patient. It sucks, I know, and you're going to go thru the shaggy, ugly hair, but DON'T cut it! Like everyone is saying, slick it back and just deal with it. It's actually lucky being in a trade. Lots of my subs have 1-2 workers with long hair in ponytails or braids! I was a deputy for many years and I HATED getting a high and tight. It killed my soul. LOL.

sent via fax machine

•  

Brooke

Quote from: RandyL on March 21, 2017, 08:40:45 AM
This brings up another possibility. Our son has intensely curly hair. It sticks out from his head only an inch, but when he pulls out an individual hair, it's 5 or 6 inches. Can you get a very tight perm?
Haha. That is totally me. Curly hair is the worst to grow out. I'm at about 20 months of growth and I'm still in that awkward stage for anytime I sleep. Looks like I'm Kramer from Seinfeld when I get up. Even styled it's about two inches above my neck when dry. And about three inches below when straightened.

I suggest curls tic for the curly locks- which can definitely keep things cleaner while growing out. I'm the only one in my family with curly hair (recessive gene). My mom and sister have wavyish hair, but have good luck with the curls rock.

I don't know if I'd suggest a perm. The less damage to the hair the less you have to trim to prevent split ends. On that note wash hair 1-2x/week if smell is tolerable and always always use conditioner every time your in the shower.
  •  

Raelynn

Oh hell, curls. Forgot about those. I have ALWAYS had straight hair growing up with the exception of a little 'duck tail' when it got mullet length! Now, I get accused of curling my hair. If I don't dry it, I get the long wavy curls that I would have killed for when I was younger! The longer I'm on hormones, the more curly it seems to get.

Oh... The Cosmo Kramer look? Gets worse!

sent via fax machine

•  

Brooke

Quote from: Raelynn on March 26, 2017, 12:52:55 AM
Oh hell, curls. Forgot about those. I have ALWAYS had straight hair growing up with the exception of a little 'duck tail' when it got mullet length! Now, I get accused of curling my hair. If I don't dry it, I get the long wavy curls that I would have killed for when I was younger! The longer I'm on hormones, the more curly it seems to get.

Oh... The Cosmo Kramer look? Gets worse!

sent via fax machine
I think you're the first person I've met or talked with that also had their hair go curly with hormones. Mine was wavy at best before my first puberty, though it started to get curly when my T was suppressed due to meds from age 13-mid 20s (mental health meds rather than AAs) the girl who does my hair, and happens to be my electrolysis tech has accused me of getting a perm. I totally get the hair getting more curly.

I am just waiting for the day, or rather night where my hair is long enough and heavy enough to stay below my pillow and neck rather than splayed across it.

I definitely wonder what the mechanism is behind Estrogen, and low T on curly hair.

Thanks for sharing! I'm not crazy in thinking hormones are to blame (or thank) for my kinky hair.
  •  

SadieBlake

I simply used a bandana tied as a headband to keep it off my face until some could be tied into a ponytail, it took all of a year to get to where the ponytail alone would keep it under reasonable control. I still use the bandana to cover when I have to load glass into our 900F annealers because otherwise the little hair I have left in front (damned MP baldness) gets shortened by singeing.

I love simply having a ponytail and that's where it is 95% of the time during the day. I'm also glad to have reached the point where I can work a French braid -- im going in to work with that today and I like how it will add some wave when I take the braid out.

Next stop: mid-back length, that's going to take about a year from now.
🌈👭 lesbian, troublemaker ;-) 🌈🏳️‍🌈
  •  

LizK

I have wanted long hair all my life, at the moment it sits just over and slightly below my shoulders. I use clips to clip each side up and when its really hot I put it in a loose ponytail. I have had one cut in 18months just to even it up and will get my next cut in another 12 months or so....
Transition Begun 25 September 2015
HRT since 17 May 2016,
Fulltime from 8 March 2017,
GCS 4 December 2018
Voice Surgery 01 February 2019
  •  

Rayna

Quote from: Brooke on March 26, 2017, 01:36:49 AM
I think you're the first person I've met or talked with that also had their hair go curly with hormones.
I'm not crazy in thinking hormones are to blame (or thank) for my kinky hair.

When my wife was pregnant, her normally curly hair got much curlier. It stayed that way for years, and then with menopause has gotten straighter again.
If so, then why not?
  •  

josie76

I've been thinking about asking some of these same questions. My hair has this frizzy curl at the ends especially when just washed. The sides are just longer than my ears. The only time it lays down is after I sleep on it but only if I'm careful rolling over to smooth it before going back to sleep. Otherwise I wake up with some curling outward 4" to the side. Lol I've been wondering if I should get the back trimmed. Now I'm thinking I should just let it ride.
04/26/2018 bi-lateral orchiectomy

A lifetime of depression and repressed emotions is nothing more than existence. I for one want to live now not just exist!

•  

LizK

Quote from: josie76 on March 28, 2017, 06:24:28 AM
I've been thinking about asking some of these same questions. My hair has this frizzy curl at the ends especially when just washed. The sides are just longer than my ears. The only time it lays down is after I sleep on it but only if I'm careful rolling over to smooth it before going back to sleep. Otherwise I wake up with some curling outward 4" to the side. Lol I've been wondering if I should get the back trimmed. Now I'm thinking I should just let it ride.

Try washing it every second day instead of every day...I actually let mine go three days then wash it. It is so much better and easier to look after

Liz
Transition Begun 25 September 2015
HRT since 17 May 2016,
Fulltime from 8 March 2017,
GCS 4 December 2018
Voice Surgery 01 February 2019
  •  

Deborah

A good leave in conditioner helps with that also.

Conform and be dull. —James Frank Dobie, The Voice of the Coyote
Love is not obedience, conformity, or submission. It is a counterfeit love that is contingent upon authority, punishment, or reward. True love is respect and admiration, compassion and kindness, freely given by a healthy, unafraid human being....  - Dan Barker

U.S. Army Retired
  •  

DawnOday

Several women I know sleep with a rayon scarf over their hair. It keeps the hair from being moved around by your 120 count pillow covers. Also a hair straightener can help in fixing things. When you wash your hair make sure your hair ends are well treated. I use Moroccan Argan oil. making sure the ends are saturated.  Makes my hair soft and shiney and has led me to believe my natural grey hair looks better than if I color it.
Dawn Oday

It just feels right   :icon_hug: :icon_hug: :icon_kiss: :icon_kiss: :icon_kiss:

If you have a a business or service that supports our community please submit for our Links Page.

First indication I was different- 1956 kindergarten
First crossdress - Asked mother to dress me in sisters costumes  Age 7
First revelation - 1982 to my present wife
First time telling the truth in therapy June 15, 2016
Start HRT Aug 2016
First public appearance 5/15/17

•  

Lyric

You should probably be wearing a baseball cap or something to protect your head on your job anyway. That will keep the hair out of the way until you can ponytail it. It doesn't take that long. Then you can do all sorts of things with it. Forget "man-buns", though. I only wear woman buns. ;)
"Your time is limited, so don't waste it living someone else's life." - Steve Jobs
  •  

NotSure81

Late reply...

Thanks for all the responses. I already try to wash my hair every other day, but sometimes I have to wash it daily because i get insulation, dirt or some other lovely stuff in my hair I'd rather not sleep with.

Haven't cut it so its still going.
  •  

MyMichele

Be careful wearing a ponytail. You can do irreversible damage to your hairline if you pull it back too tight. It's called traction alopecia
  •  

barbie

I have kept my long hair during the past 15 years with some variations in the hair length.
My conclusions to keep healthy hair I have learned so far are:

1. Avoid hair dryer as possible. Instead, use a plain electric fan.
2. Avoid dying as possible. I sometimes dye my hair, but once in one or two years.
3. Avoid hair straightener or other chemicals as possible.
4. Use natural shampoo products, and rinse your hair with running cold water at least for 3 min.

I sometimes let my hair permed at a professional hair salon, probably once or twice per year. I do not grudge money in choosing a nice hair salon (usually US$200-300), because the permed hair style lasts longer.

Also, as I am getting aged (>50), I am taking Finasterid to prevent or minimize hair loss.

In any case, letting your hair intact as possible is the best practice to have nice and healthy hair in the long term.

barbie~~
Just do it.
  •  

Amy Chislett

Quote from: DawnOday on March 28, 2017, 02:15:25 PM
Several women I know sleep with a rayon scarf over their hair. It keeps the hair from being moved around by your 120 count pillow covers. I use Moroccan Argan oil. making sure the ends are saturated.  Makes my hair soft and shiney and has led me to believe my natural grey hair looks better than if I color it.

My Hotel  in Tokyo had satin pillow cases which cut down on the 'hair fairy'.  Upon my return, I hand-made satin pillow cases cause i could not find them even online (in the 90s).

Pray tell, Dawn, more about argan oil... I'll applaud you again...
HrbHRT 21Jun2016
mtf hetero
  •  

Amy Chislett

Btw Dawn, the Chinese think molasses will turn gray hair back to its original color.
HrbHRT 21Jun2016
mtf hetero
  •  

Amy Chislett

As to the longer hair, my current boss has made two 'you're the statistical outlier' comments; while others have said I look like a rock star wanna-be, or even Fabian.  How we stress others makes wonder sometimes.
HrbHRT 21Jun2016
mtf hetero
  •  

DawnOday

Quote from: Amy Chislett on July 02, 2017, 11:24:15 AM
My Hotel  in Tokyo had satin pillow cases which cut down on the 'hair fairy'.  Upon my return, I hand-made satin pillow cases cause i could not find them even online (in the 90s).

Pray tell, Dawn, more about argan oil... I'll applaud you again...

Argon oil adds shine and can be used on the face as well. My grey hair goes from dull to fabulous.  The argon tree grows predominately in Morocco and believe it or not goats climb the trees and the undigested seeds in their poo are processed. Due to the demand they are starting to use more modern techniques. There was a piece on Argon oil this morning on Sunday Morning. The other conditioner I use has karotin which strengthens the hair. One more regimen I am considering is collagen added to my supplements.  Helps with wrinkles, strengthen hair and nails.
Dawn Oday

It just feels right   :icon_hug: :icon_hug: :icon_kiss: :icon_kiss: :icon_kiss:

If you have a a business or service that supports our community please submit for our Links Page.

First indication I was different- 1956 kindergarten
First crossdress - Asked mother to dress me in sisters costumes  Age 7
First revelation - 1982 to my present wife
First time telling the truth in therapy June 15, 2016
Start HRT Aug 2016
First public appearance 5/15/17

•  

Perle

What about a high knot? If you don't like the knot, wear a hat. And do shat other posters have said. Get a stylist to work with you and trim monthly until it's past this stage.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
  •