Susan's Place Logo

News:

Please be sure to review The Site terms of service, and rules to live by

Main Menu

Restroom Design - All Gender

Started by mac1, March 26, 2017, 02:04:51 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

mac1

This restroom design is the most practical and acceptable for everybody.

Safe & Practical Restroom Design

qz/by Lisa Selin Davis    03/16/2017
?
  •  

TimothyDawson

•  

Gail20

One of the really nice parts about transitioning is no longer having to go into a bathroom used by men who pee on the seat, the commode and the floor in front of the commode and even across the floor. I hate multi-gender bathrooms as a solution. Women's Rooms are also a nice way to get away from male energy for a few minutes. . .
"friends speak for you when you can't speak for yourself" :)
  •  

kylen kantari

I went to the beach in SoCal a few days ago, and all the bathrooms at the beaches were labeled ALL GENDER. Now, these bathrooms have always been unisex bathrooms, but they had put up new signs that were specifically All Gender. It's nice to know some places are being supportive and inclusive.
Learning to run freely
  •  

ainsley

Quote from: Gail20 on April 28, 2017, 10:45:13 AM
One of the really nice parts about transitioning is no longer having to go into a bathroom used by men who pee on the seat, the commode and the floor in front of the commode and even across the floor. I hate multi-gender bathrooms as a solution. Women's Rooms are also a nice way to get away from male energy for a few minutes. . .

I tend to agree with you.  I hate to have to share a toilet with men...they don't sit to pee so it inherently gets soiled.
Some people say I'm apathetic, but I don't care.

Wonder Twin Powers Activate!
Shape of A GIRL!
  •  

mac1

Quote from: ainsley on April 28, 2017, 11:26:46 AM
I tend to agree with you.  I hate to have to share a toilet with men...they don't sit to pee so it inherently gets soiled.
I sit to pee all the time and find the limited number of stalls in the men's room to be inconvenient. Wish I could use the women's room.
?
  •  

Tammy Jade

It has amazed me how much nicer Women's are then men's, less broken doors, haven't seen any graffiti yet and just generally cleaner and better maintained.

I hate having to still use the men's at work and I don't think shared facilities work because men just vandalise and soil everything.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
- Tamara Jade

** The Meaning of Life?? Is to find the Meaning of Life **
  •  

elkie-t

Quote from: Tammy Jade on June 21, 2017, 09:30:54 PM
It has amazed me how much nicer Women's are then men's, less broken doors, haven't seen any graffiti yet and just generally cleaner and better maintained.

I hate having to still use the men's at work and I don't think shared facilities work because men just vandalise and soil everything.

I've seen really messy ladies rooms (really-really messy), but maybe we keep ourselves to a higher standards? At least we do not sprinkle all over ;)
  •  

Tammy Jade

Quote from: elkie-t on June 21, 2017, 11:44:28 PM
I've seen really messy ladies rooms (really-really messy), but maybe we keep ourselves to a higher standards? At least we do not sprinkle all over ;)

Well I hate to think what the men's would have been like then :P

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
- Tamara Jade

** The Meaning of Life?? Is to find the Meaning of Life **
  •  

Jailyn

I agree with everything that was said. I just don't understand us Americans obstinance to unisex bathrooms. I was in Europe in 1998-2002 and there are unisex rooms all over and neither gender cared that you shared it with the other. I don't see the big deal. Just allow common bathrooms. I guess I wasn't as sheltered as I think.
  •  

vegantranswoman

it depends where in Europe, they have a unisex bathroom culture in northern European such. as Sweden, Denmark, Germany but not at all in Italy and Spain. In France it's in between...
  •  

sarah1972

I would not agree on Germany. Pretty much all public places, restaurants and bars have gender separated bathrooms.
The population is very accepting which is good, the laws in Germany are somewhat antiquated ( took forever to finally allow same sex marriage and there seems to be some movement on the TSG which regulates name / gender change procedures for transgender - will be a few more years tough before it becomes easier)

Quote from: vegantranswoman on August 22, 2017, 04:37:36 AM
it depends where in Europe, they have a unisex bathroom culture in northern European such. as Sweden, Denmark, Germany but not at all in Italy and Spain. In France it's in between...

•  

Jenntrans

To be totally honest I wish all public restrooms were totally private.

I like others I know have been forced to use public restrooms and to me they are extremely uncomfortable. I have no problems using the ladies' room but... To be completely honest I would rather squat outside in the grass hidden in the bushes or behind a tree with my boyfriend keeping a lookout.
  •  

and5678

Quote from: elkie-t on June 21, 2017, 11:44:28 PM

One phrase: Squat and hover.

It honestly depends on the location. Highway rest stops are next level disgusting I think for both men and women... and to be honest, since I haven't been in a men's room in awhile... I think the women's restrooms are worse. Bars are another typically bad location...
  •  

LanaR

One of the really nice parts about transitioning is no longer having to go into a bathroom used by men who pee on the seat, . . .
Sorry, but I have to disagree there, I've seen women's bathrooms with pee all over the seat.
  •  

Jenntrans

Quote from: LanaR on November 04, 2017, 07:21:02 PM
Sorry, but I have to disagree there, I've seen women's bathrooms with pee all over the seat.

Yeah me too. Some are just as disgusting as men's restrooms. I have used both and on a daily basis.

LGBT? Really? I have seen so many "gloryholes" in men's rooms that it ain't even funny. I feel more comfortable in women's restrooms though but have seen holes between the stalls there too. ??? I have always shaved my legs even from puberty and have small boobs so it was always awkward in the Men's room. Kind of like I didn't belong. :-\ Driving trucks I have to wear a bra because my boobs will get so sore from the bouncing on rough roads with heavy loads and that kind of leaves an outline on your blouse or t shirt or tank.

I hate public restrooms though. Having hairless legs and having to use the restroom at 3 AM while someone is "horny" next to you using it really sux when they try to corner you. Rest areas just stay away from because those are worst at night. OMG so many people instead of knocking on the stall door peek between the spaces. If they find you attractive then... Be careful.

I hate public restrooms. On one hand we may be a target and on the other we may be a trans target. So I always try to use private restrooms instead of public with the stalls. It is just me though. I mean I do use the ladies' restroom now but that hasn't always been the case. :P
  •  

MaryT

Women's Rooms are also a nice way to get away from male energy for a few minutes. . .

Many years ago in Karasburg, in what is now Namibia, I went through a door displaying the Gents sign.  Between the door and the actual toilets was a comfy lounge.  Men seem to feel the same way about female energy. 
  •  

MaryT

Quote from: LanaR on November 04, 2017, 07:21:02 PM

My mother travelled everywhere with antibacterial wipes and paper toilet seat covers.  She didn't like sitting on seats touched by other women's grubby bums.
  •  

flower1221

Its an interesting concept, would only go in new buildings though.  No one would spend to retrofit
  •  

rmaddy

I've been in plenty of women's rooms that use that same design.  All that would be required to make it dual gender would be to change the sign outside.  I've actually used one that was dual gender, but it was at a transgender medicine conference at a University.  I suspect that they did just switch the sign for the meeting because it did not match the others.

The difficulty is that many women are going to be leery of going into a room with only a single exit, no windows and men present.  This is often cast as the problem with transgender people using the restroom associated with their gender identity.  I can endorse the desire for safe space as I was once cornered/threatened in a bathroom (I was presenting androgynous/femme but had not yet switched to the Ladies' Room.  I did immediately thereafter.), although I would quickly add that:

1) Transmen are men.
2) Transwomen are women.
3) Neither are inherently predatory or dangerous.
4) Most of the people freaking out in the bathroom debate seem to be men.

•