Susan's Place Logo

News:

According to Google Analytics 25,259,719 users made visits accounting for 140,758,117 Pageviews since December 2006

Main Menu

Since when did doctors get to choose their patients?

Started by kelly_aus, March 28, 2017, 01:06:46 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

kelly_aus

I just called a gyno here in Adelaide to make an appointment. They are one of the selection of people that prescribe and monitor HRT here.

Seems that I can't make an appointment, I need to wait for the doctor to read my referral and wait for her to call me for an appointment.. What kind of system is that? Especially when my referral is no more than a request for HRT maintenance, which doesn't really tell her anything.  :-\
  •  

Raelynn

I use an endocrinologist for my HRT simply because she is familiar with how everything works together. Getting in to her practice wasn't a cake walk. I had to have letters from my primary care, my psych and, since I had heart issues, my cardio Dr.  It was easier to get my Orchie than getting on hormones.

sent via fax machine

•  

kelly_aus

Quote from: Raelynn on March 28, 2017, 05:50:51 PM
It was easier to get my Orchie than getting on hormones.

I've been on hormones 6 years. I recently moved states and want proper monitoring - something I didn't really have in Melbourne. I'd also like a 3rd opinion on my situation. I've had a minimal response to the commonly used "standard" levels and wonder if, perhaps, she might have some ideas..

Also looking forward to the possibility of her requiring a psych assessment - it was done in 2011..
  •  

DemonRaven

I am not sure how it works in your country but in the usa a referral is sometimes needed to be approved by your insurance.
  •  

Raelynn

The sad part of my therapy is I have Bachelors degrees in Psych and in Sociology and Associates in Gender Studies and Drug Abuse in Special Populations and my therapist is a social case worker with an associate's in Social Work BUT he's WORKING on his BSW!  I had to take courses in both to get my Criminal Law and BS in Police Science... I enjoyed studying the minds and ended up taking all of the courses I could not even knowing I had enough to get degrees! They were just filter courses...

And he knows NOTHING about my education. It gives me something to play with on those therapy days when I really have nothing to talk about.

But enough of that. I would seek an endocrinologist if possible. They keep an eye on EVERYTHING and not bits and pieces.

sent via fax machine

•  

Raelynn

Quote from: DemonRaven on March 28, 2017, 06:54:01 PM
I am not sure how it works in your country but in the usa a referral is sometimes needed to be approved by your insurance.
Yes. Here in the states you must have a referral for insurance to cover anything transgender related. Insurance companies look for key diagnoses such as Body Dysphoria, G.I.D., and Transvestism in Adults. I found this out when my insurance denied a few office visits. The Dr's office had coded it wrong because my therapist didn't include it in his diagnosis. Once I got that corrected, it went right through. When researching my insurance coverage, I discovered they will pay for augmentation because of my Body Dysmorphic disorder!

sent via fax machine

•  

kelly_aus

Quote from: Raelynn on March 28, 2017, 07:04:35 PM
But enough of that. I would seek an endocrinologist if possible. They keep an eye on EVERYTHING and not bits and pieces.

I understand why you keep suggesting an endo, however, I've selected this gyno based on her knowledge and experience with HRT. I'm also a 4th year med school drop out and remember enough (and have done plenty of my own research) to keep her on her toes - and have useful, if somewhat left field, ideas for her to ponder.
  •  

AnonyMs

I assumed that doctors could always choose their patients. Is there some law that they have to accept you as a patient?
  •  

kelly_aus

Quote from: AnonyMs on March 28, 2017, 08:53:57 PM
I assumed that doctors could always choose their patients. Is there some law that they have to accept you as a patient?

Yes, they have a choice - but it's not usually one they make until they've actually seen you. Basing whether to take a patient based on a 1 sentence referral seems a little off to me..
  •  

mac1

Quote from: AnonyMs on March 28, 2017, 08:53:57 PM
I don't know of any law that forces a doctor to take certain patients.  However emergency room care is open to anybody for emergency type care but not for ongoing care.
?
  •  

LizK

Quote from: kelly_aus on March 28, 2017, 09:19:57 PM
Yes, they have a choice - but it's not usually one they make until they've actually seen you. Basing whether to take a patient based on a 1 sentence referral seems a little off to me..

If its the  same Dr as mine(pretty sure its likely to be) I know of late she has been swamped in referrals and requests. The choice here in Adelaide is about 3 or 4 people I think, so it can be a bit of a pain. PM me if there is anything more  I can maybe help you with.

Liz
Transition Begun 25 September 2015
HRT since 17 May 2016,
Fulltime from 8 March 2017,
GCS 4 December 2018
Voice Surgery 01 February 2019
  •