Susan's Place Logo

News:

Visit our Discord server  and Wiki

Main Menu

Guitar

Started by Terence, April 08, 2017, 12:15:34 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Terence

Does anyone else play guitar? I started my musical life playing piano in primary school, but I only got as far as grade five. I didn't make the cut for my high school's music classes, so had to give it up, but in the meantime I took up some other instruments. The main instrument I play at the minute is the guitar. I was in a band at my first high school, but it was a mess as the frontman insisted on recruiting her friend who lived about fifty miles away from the rest of us! I was in another band some time last year, but I left due to creative differences (when I offered the frontman a bit of music theory help when she wrote a pretty bad song, she pouted and went off on one about how she "didn't want any collaboration on her songs" - direct quote).

These days, I write songs. I haven't yet recorded any of them properly, as I can't sing, and, moreover, my voice makes me very dysphoric. I have a very low range for someone AFAB (must be that Y chromosome), but it still depresses me. Once I'm a few years on HRT and have lost a lot of weight, I'm planning to become a singer-songwriter. I've had people tell me, from seeing the scores, chords, lyrics, etc., that they're good songs, so I have high hopes.
  •  

SonadoraXVX

I have a guitar and had intentions on playing. I used to play trombone and violin in jr hi and elementary school, I made the cut for jr hi and elementary school for plays, just never pursued it further, parents really lost interest, not me, and then later, life got in the way. So I know I have some musical talent, love playing music at work, on my headphones. I was thinking of buying thegreatcourses.com "Learning to Play Guitar: Chords, Scales, and Solos". Figure my girlfriend may find it romantic, on getaways with her at times and I sometimes just want to sing/play for myself.  Life sucks without music, and music will never let you down.
To know thyself is to be blessed, but to know others is to prevent supreme headaches
Sun Tzu said it best, "To know thyself is half the battle won, but to know yourself and the enemy, is to win 100% of the battles".

•  

Terence

Quote from: SonadoraXVX on April 08, 2017, 07:21:48 AM
Life sucks without music, and music will never let you down.

This, here, this is the truth and the secret to happiness. Music keeps me going.
  •  

VeronicaLynn

I've played guitar and keyboard off and on since I was a kid.

I never really had much success finding a band. Either they wanted to play a different style of music than I wanted to play, or else they were more interested in partying than being serious about playing.

I was never very good at songwriting mainly because I always would forget my own songs. For some reason, I can perfectly remember songs other people wrote, even years after I had played them last, but can't remember how mine go, even if I would write down guitar tab, I wouldn't remember the tempo quite right and they wouldn't sound nearly as good, or good at all, like I thought they sounded when I first wrote them.

I had been playing around with Garage Band on my Mac, it really could help me with my songwriting, not sure why I haven't been doing this more.

•  

Sarahthenerd

I played percussion and bass in school, but gave it up for stupid reasons. But recently threw myself back into playing.(inevitable considering almost all my friends are musicians of some sort) With the exception of a few drum circles I haven't really played with any other musicians since school.

And I totally agree.. music keeps me going too.

Sent from my P00A using Tapatalk

•  

Stevie

My formal music training consisted of about 3 months of piano lessons when I was in 3rd grade. My dad put a stop to them, I found out years later that he said they were making me into a sissy. 
I still had the desire to make music and started playing guitar in junior high school. That was over 40 years ago and I still play everyday. I have never had any lessons just taught myself through exploration. Never been in a band per-say too shy and introverted but have played in front of a few audiences.
  •  

VeronicaLynn

Fortunately, my parents have been pretty supportive of my love of music. It helped in allowing me to have long hair and earrings, as it didn't come off as being trans, but rather wanting to be like the guys in the bands I liked.

I just got a new guitar about a week ago and have been adding some guitar to the songs I created on keyboard earlier.

Who needs other people to play with anyway these days? Garage Band or other software like it is totally the way to go if you don't have anyone to play with, or maybe even if you have someone to play with, if they are like any of my former bandmates.
  •  

Chloe

Netflix has George Harrison's Living in the Material World have you seen it??

Great guitarist always my fav Beatle!!
"But it's no use now," thought poor Alice, "to pretend be two people!
"Why, there's hardly enough of me left to make one respectable person!"
  •  

Kylo

I was learning but my sister's fella came around and asked to borrow my electric (well, my stepdad's) and never brought it back. That was in 2009. I've been thinking of taking it up again.
"If the freedom of speech is taken away, then dumb and silent we may be led, like sheep to the slaughter."
  •  

kk

I have a guitar I stole out of a relative's attic lol
I like to pluck around on it in the evening to unwind; my girlfriend likes to listen while she does her homework.  It keeps us sane.  I've recently started to learn actual chords, but boy my fingers do not enjoy stretching like that lol.

Suggestions for training my hands?  Like, my pinky finger and ring finger don't like to reach as far as they need to for some of the chords.  Or does it just take practice and repetition?
  •  

Melanie Jean

I played bass guitar for a bit (Fender copy), but haven'y played for over 30-years.

Love to all.

~Melanie
Love to all.

~Melanie

•  

Maria77

I played guitar and synth in bands in the 80s, probably goth would be the best label for my genre.   Back then I also played drums in marching band hs and college and a touring drum and bugle corps.  I have a bunch of hardware synths right now and just bought a lovely Ibanez Artcore red sparkle.  Even though my guitar playing days are all but over the new guitar has me tickled.   
  •  

TheDelBel

I've been wanting to play guitar. I've tried teaching myself.
<3
  •  

Van

I've played guitar for a few years! I currently have several guitars -- an Alvarez classical, a Washburn acoustic-electric, an Epiphone Riviera Custom P93 semi-hollowbody electric, a Gibson Les Paul Custom, and a handmade guitar from 1910 (can't really play this one since the neck has been warped over time, but it's pretty to look at!). I hope to get a Martin D-28 someday, and maybe a McPherson if I can scrounge up the money somehow.
  •  

Tara P

I don't have any formal training but music is my greatest passion in life.  Probably 80% of my free time is playing guitar, bass, piano, singing or at least listening to music.  It can't fix everything but playing music puts me in a better mood every single time.   :)
  •  

Colleen_definitely

I have always been fascinated by the guitar.  Despite my asking I could never get my dad to teach me even though he played and had quite the collection last I saw. 

So after trying previously and simply not having time, I'm giving it another whack.  I got a killer deal on a gorgeous Schecter and now need to figure out how to go from making noise to making music. 
As our ashes turn to dust, we shine like stars...
  •  

MissyMay2.0

Quote from: Colleen_definitely on August 24, 2018, 09:44:39 AM
I have always been fascinated by the guitar.  Despite my asking I could never get my dad to teach me even though he played and had quite the collection last I saw. 

So after trying previously and simply not having time, I'm giving it another whack.  I got a killer deal on a gorgeous Schecter and now need to figure out how to go from making noise to making music.
I started learning to play about 2 years ago, but I've had a lot going on the last several months, so I haven't been practicing; anyway, I had a few in person lessons, and they weren't very effective for me, so I prefer learning online at my own pace; however, I'm still looking for a really good guitar teacher in my area.
  •  

Lady Skylar

Quote from: MissyMay2.0 on August 24, 2018, 10:54:54 AM
I started learning to play about 2 years ago, but I've had a lot going on the last several months, so I haven't been practicing; anyway, I had a few in person lessons, and they weren't very effective for me, so I prefer learning online at my own pace; however, I'm still looking for a really good guitar teacher in my area.
What area are you in? I've been playing since I was 15. I have many many guitars. I would recommend to anybody that wants to learn to play, the first thing to learn before even learning any chords is to learn the major, minor, and pentatonic scales. There are 5 positions (patterns) that if you learn them you'll be able to play anything you want and create anything you want musically. Start off with the major scale. All the other scales are based off the major scale so once you know the major scale, the minor, blues, Japanese,  pentatonic, etc scales will be a breeze. All the modes (Ionian, Dorian, Phrygian, Lydian, Mixolydian, Aeolian, and Locrian) are based off the major scale as well. Plus if you know the scales, you'll learn where the notes are on the neck, and in turn you'll learn what notes are in chords, if that makes sense. You can play the same chords in several different variations on the neck by knowing your scales and notes. You'll also learn what notes in a solo to play over the chords in your song. Sounds confusing but it's really not. A great place to get all this information for free is https://www.theguitarlesson.com
Trust me learn your scales and you'll impress lol...

Sent from my SM-N950U using Tapatalk

•  

Colleen_definitely

And I just found a website to sink a ton of time into.

Thank you for that, I was hoping to find a resource like it.
As our ashes turn to dust, we shine like stars...
  •  

Tara P

I found https://www.justinguitar.com/ super helpful for learning guitar too.  There is a beginners course followed by an intermediate course to start, then you can kind of go in a million different directions from there depending on what you want to learn.

I hadn't seen theguitarlesson site before but that one looks great too.  Both of them have videos which can be really helpful to see and hear just what exactly it is you are supposed to be doing.
  •