Susan's Place Logo

News:

According to Google Analytics 25,259,719 users made visits accounting for 140,758,117 Pageviews since December 2006

Main Menu

Do you cook breakfast? What are some of the dishes you prepare?

Started by JeanetteLW, April 13, 2017, 11:26:41 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Colleen_definitely

Spaghetti squash took me a few tries to get it right.  I find that doing it in the microwave is by far the easiest.  Stab it on both sides, then 7-10 minutes depending on size, flip it, another 7-10 and let it cool a bit.  Hack it open, scrape the seeds, and get to shredding. 

I like treating it like pasta, it works great with just about any sauce I've thrown on it even if it's just olive oil with garlic.  It's also good tossed into eggs when scrambling.

Making "zoodles" with one of those spiralizers with zucchini or yellow squash is really good too.  Spiralize it, sautee it briefly with a bit of olive oil, then toss it on a plate and sauce it.  Or eat it as is.  Down side: those have about three times the potassium of spaghetti squash, so for those of us on spiro it is a concern.  It isn't as bad as a potato (a little over half as much potassium), but not something I think that I should be having every day.
As our ashes turn to dust, we shine like stars...
  •  

JeanetteLW

Quote from: RobynD on April 17, 2017, 01:14:05 PM
Also a fan of that squash prepared as Deborah described. Never really got into it with marinara on it though. Some people truly treat it like pasta.

Sour cream on omelets definitely but to me it has to be a spicy omelet like chorizo or the like. That balances it out.

This morning's breakfast was quinoa salad with cucumbers and tomatoes in sort of a middle eastern dressing. I'm watching the intake very closely now as i am starting to lose more and more weight. Low cal and tasty breakfasts are not mutually exclusive though.

Good morning Robyn,
   You, Deborah and anyone else that like spaghetti squash can have my share, really I won't mind at all. I don't want to see food go to waste. Sour cream does have it's uses. I love stroganoff for example and I will agree that it would balance a spicy omelet. I would pass on it though as I prefer to on tacos, enchiladas, burritos and the like. I won't scrape it off like i do guacamole though.
  Quinoa salad huh?  Quinoa may be a food I have not tried yet. I will have to look into it as you salad does sound worth trying.
  Weight loss? Congrats on being able to do that and I hope you are able to keep it up to reach your goal and get a girlish figure. More power to you Robyn.
  Alas, I have a terrible problem with trying to control how much I eat and what I eat. I love the foods I am used to and fail continuously at controlling how much I eat. I think I am allergic to anything that would be considered heathy foods though my daughter had told me I and eating a lot healtier than I used to since developing diabetes. At least I try to cut back of the carb intake and am aware when I don't. I just love those food that are not good for me.
  I had leftover pizza for breakfast this morning but only one slice. (that was the last slice. My sister ate the other 2)

Hugs,
    Jeanette
  •  

JeanetteLW

Quote from: Colleen_definitely on April 17, 2017, 01:45:57 PM

Making "zoodles" with one of those spiralizers with zucchini or yellow squash is really good too.  Spiralize it, sautee it briefly with a bit of olive oil, then toss it on a plate and sauce it.  Or eat it as is.  Down side: those have about three times the potassium of spaghetti squash, so for those of us on spiro it is a concern.  It isn't as bad as a potato (a little over half as much potassium), but not something I think that I should be having every day.

My god! Colleen,

You want to take away my potatoes and zuchini now?  I have cut down on potato in my breakfast though. One medium potato wil last me 2 or 3 meals now.

Hugs,
   Jeanette
  •  

Colleen_definitely

I was pretty grumpy when I looked it up myself, believe me.
  •  

TinaVane

Quote from: Amanda_Combs on April 13, 2017, 12:14:22 PM
That looks awesome!  My favorite is this vegan breakfast.  It's tofu scramble with grits! 
This look delicious

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
C'est Si Bon
  •  

RobynD

I've never done a tofu scramble that looks interesting. How do you get the tofu to take on a flavor profile? Something like smoked paprika for instance?

•  

Colleen_definitely

I've found that sauteing it with a bit of olive oil and seasonings does wonders.

Also pan frying ~5mm thick slices of extra firm tofu with a bit of garlic salt on them until they get a bit crispy is really tasty.
  •  

TinaVane

We should start a food thread hehe

C'est Si Bon
  •  

Amanda_Combs

Quote from: TinaVane on April 17, 2017, 05:09:05 PM
This look delicious

Thank you!  I really love to imagine that I'm good at food! [emoji12] 

Tofu's always been a challenge for me because I, as rule of thumb, tend to be minimalist with spices.  My prefered method is to cube the tofu and mix it with hashbrowns and peppers; then I add in Daiya(aka coconut cheese aka pretend/wannabe cheese).  It's really interesting to me that it tastes SO butterry!  lol I had to double-check the ingrediants.  I've also tried the more common method, but I really don't like the tactile sensation of squishing the tofu barehanded.  ...We need to make more food talk happen!  [emoji23]
Higher, faster, further, more
  •  

Colleen_definitely

If you want it to look more egg like without going hands-on, you might give a potato ricer a try. 
  •  

FTMax

Shakshuka is my go-to when I actually have time to cook breakfast! It's poached eggs in a spicy tomato sauce. I'll usually get some crusty French bread to eat on the side.

I just do smoothies or prepped egg muffins most of the time during the week. I have to work super early in the morning, but I'm off around noon so lunch and dinner I get to spend a little more time putting together.
T: 12/5/2014 | Top: 4/21/2015 | Hysto: 2/6/2016 | Meta: 3/21/2017

I don't come here anymore, so if you need to get in touch send an email: maxdoeswork AT protonmail.com
  •  

JeanetteLW

Morning folks,

This morning I have visitors so I cooked a scramble for them and myself. it consisted of scrambled eggs of course, maple sausage, chorizo. onions, 4 colors of bell pepper and sliced tomato on the side.

•  

Devlyn

I make S.O.S. that can't be beat, but I make it at dinnertime.  Looks awful, but you can't stop eating it.  :)

Hugs, Devlyn 
  •  

JeanetteLW

Quote from: Devlyn Marie on April 18, 2017, 10:23:11 AM
I make S.O.S. that can't be beat, but I make it at dinnertime.  Looks awful, but you can't stop eating it.  :)

Hugs, Devlyn

You do know that is a military family staple?
Creamed chip beef or tuna on toast?  We had both many many times growing up.

Hugs,
   Jeanette
  •  

Devlyn

Quote from: JeanetteLW on April 18, 2017, 10:50:36 AM
Quote from: Devlyn Marie on April 18, 2017, 10:23:11 AM

Hugs, Devlyn

You do know that is a military family staple?
Creamed chip beef or tuna on toast?  We had both many many times growing up.

Hugs,
   Jeanette

The mess hall is where I learned to love it. To this day, I still consume everything I eat in six minutes. Thanks, Drill Sergeant!

I usually use ground beef, but the jar of sliced dried beef makes a mean one too, although it's a bit salty. If I have tuna cravings, I do a casserole, but this is a breakfast thread...or elevenses...or brunch...early lunch..........
  •  

100miles

I cook breakfast maybe once or twice a week. Depending on how many eggs I have.. I usually go all out with cooking dinner and a lot of times I'm making something for dinner that requires an egg for binding. I get a 18 pack and they surprisingly go pretty quick. I'm honestly surprised because I don't even like eggs that much. That's why the only time I make breakfast is either when I'm in the mood or I have a surplus of clean pans that I can "go wild" in the morning per se.

I've been thinking about starting to make fruit/oatmeal cups lately. Onely because my mom is old and diabetic and secondly my hubby isn't particular fan of salty greasy breakfasts.

I forgot to mention what I usually make.. usually I make a scramble of eggs with some potatoes o' brien to make it further. Its amazing how many calories are in an egg and how far it goes. You beat up four eggs for two people (me and hubby) and it literally looks either a whopping serving for one person, or a reasonable serving for one and scant serving for the second. Eggs are really good at disappearing when scrambled. When I make that I usually pepper the potatoe o' brien with a dash of cayenne pepper.

During the holidays I make a different version of that with kale. Same process of starting with the potatoes o' brien then adding some kale to cook down than the eggs. I add italian seasoning to the kale and potato mixture before adding eggs. When eggs are cooked top with mozzarella cheese and its a decadent breakfast indeed.

I've made two omelets. One was filled with cooked diced tomatoes, spinach and red onion. The other I made the other days was with some leftover green and red bell peppers, red onion. Omelets are pretty fun to make and very easy once you understand the technique.

But yeah dinner is my MO. I regularly spend 2 hours in the kitchen at night sipping some beer and making dinner.
  •  

RobynD

I made Japanese style for everyone this morning because for some reason i could not sleep past about 5. Cold noodles, miso soup with little sheets of seaweed, rice, and a bit of fruit.

•  

Dusty

Your breakfasts all look soooo good! Mine is always the exact same thing ... brown bread with a little olive oil, black coffee, and a cup of hot water. Occasionally I'll poach an egg, but that's rare. 

•  

Gertrude

My three favorites are:
BLT with mayo on toast (sometimes with cilantro), bacon, egg, cheese on a roll with salt pepper and ketchup (a Long Island standard) , and hash browns covered with sausage gravy and 3 eggs over easy on top. 

•  

Niki Knight

Here is my breakfast menu for most mornings.

3 eggs over easy with sourdough toast and pre cooked unsalted bacon. This is followed by steel cut oats or yogurt and berries with nuts. 2 coffees and a couple glasses of milk.

Other mornings. Homemade Blueberry pancakes with over easy eggs and bacon.

Another favourite. Breakfast wraps. Start with a large wholewheat wrap. add scrambled eggs, chopped bacon, green peppers, mushrooms and homemade Salsa. Wrap it and eat.

Yum..looking through some of the other memes items listed here....
  •