Susan's Place Logo

News:

Please be sure to review The Site terms of service, and rules to live by

Main Menu

Do you cook breakfast? What are some of the dishes you prepare?

Started by JeanetteLW, April 13, 2017, 11:26:41 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Dena

Quote from: Roll on September 26, 2017, 10:45:36 PM
I did a touch of lemon juice to help them along, but mostly I was just in a hurry. I used a generic plastic bowl since only other options were the aluminum and wood as you said (not that I use my bamboo bowl for anything but Japanese rice). It was a spur of the moment experiment fortunately not a planned out breakfast for all. :D
The problem is probably the plastic bowl. You don't want to introduce fat into the egg whites but plastic behaves like fat. The bowl should be metal or glass.
Rebirth Date 1982 - PMs are welcome - Use [email]dena@susans.org[/email] or Discord if your unable to PM - Skype is available - My Transition
If you are helped by this site, consider leaving a tip in the jar at the bottom of the page or become a subscriber
  •  

Laurie

Good morning folks,

Here is another one of my easily variable creations. I first started by browning some maple sausage links and bacon pieces. while they were cooking I melted about a tablespoon of butter in a medium fry pan on medium - low heat and placed a soft taco sized flour tortilla on top of the butter. I then cracked 2 eggs on top of that breaking the yolks and  gently mixing them with the whites spreading them across the tortilla. As those were doing their thing I rough diced rainbow peppers, red onion, green onion, broccoli, chunks of mushrooms and several jalapeno slices.  With the meat browned I diced the saugage, mixed it with the bacon pieces and distributed it over the eggs. Then I spread the mixed veggies over the meat and covered with shredded cheese. Cover and cook until cheese is all melted. I then added several salted tomato slices  covered and cooked a few more minutes them slid it out of the pan onto a plate and served. The veggies are still fairly crisp yet done.  And it tastes good with lots of different flavors to be savored on your palette.
   This creation is highly adaptable toy your personal tastes. Don't want flour tortilla?  Use the kind you like. Don't eat meat? Don't use meat. Have a hankering for different veggies? Use your own favorites. MY only problem with it is there is enough here for two and I eat it all myself due to not having someone to share it with.

Bon appétit,
   Laurie

April 13, 2019 switched to estradiol valerate
December 20, 2018    Referral sent to OHSU Dr Dugi  for vaginoplasty consult
December 10, 2018    Second Letter VA Psychiatric Practical nurse
November 15, 2018    First letter from VA therapist
May 11, 2018 I am Laurie Jeanette Wickwire
May   3, 2018 Submitted name change forms
Aug 26, 2017 another increase in estradiol
Jun  26, 2017 Last day in male attire That's full time I guess
May 20, 2017 doubled estradiol
May 18, 2017 started electrolysis
Dec   4, 2016 Started estradiol and spironolactone

•  

Julia1996

Once again Laurie your breakfast looks sooo good.😊  I made blueberry waffles this morning. One of my brothers friends came by and I let him have some too. He commented that they were not round and then said they were really good and asked me what kind they were. I told him I had made them myself and he looked at me weird. When I explained they weren't from the toaster he was amazed. Don't people ever cook?
Julia

Born 1998
Started hrt 2015
SRS done 5/21/2018
  •  

Laurie

Quote from: Julia1996 on September 30, 2017, 01:00:50 PM
Once again Laurie your breakfast looks sooo good.😊  I made blueberry waffles this morning. One of my brothers friends came by and I let him have some too. He commented that they were not round and then said they were really good and asked me what kind they were. I told him I had made them myself and he looked at me weird. When I explained they weren't from the toaster he was amazed. Don't people ever cook?

Thank you Julia for the compliment. Blue berry pancakes are good. My Mom used to throw all kinds of thinks into pancakes. Sausage, bacon, fruit, leftover mashed potato and corn come to mind.
  Pancakes made from scratch are always the best but since it is only for myself I just grab the bisquick box. And to answer your question less and less people learn even the basics of cooking each year. It hard to teach your kids to cook when Mom doesn't know how herself. Too many basic living skills are being lost these days.

Hugs,
   Laurie

•  

Julia1996

Quote from: Laurie on September 30, 2017, 01:07:48 PM
  Thank you Julia for the compliment. Blue berry pancakes are good. My Mom used to throw all kinds of thinks into pancakes. Sausage, bacon, fruit, leftover mashed potato and corn come to mind.
  Pancakes made from scratch are always the best but since it is only for myself I just grab the bisquick box. And to answer your question less and less people learn even the basics of cooking each year. It hard to teach your kids to cook when Mom doesn't know how herself. Too many basic living skills are being lost these days.

Hugs,
   Laurie

I wouldn't be able to make toast if I had followed my mom's example. She hates to cook and flat refused to. She was very happy with a lean cuisine from the microwave. When my brother and I were little my dad is the one who cooked for us. I'm not going to say anything nasty because he did the best he could but Tyler Florence he's not. I learned to cook from my grandma,  the lady next door and food network. And I found that old cookbooks have the best recipes too.
Julia

Born 1998
Started hrt 2015
SRS done 5/21/2018
  •  

Roll

Quote from: Julia1996 on September 30, 2017, 01:36:15 PM
I wouldn't be able to make toast if I had followed my mom's example. She hates to cook and flat refused to. She was very happy with a lean cuisine from the microwave. When my brother and I were little my dad is the one who cooked for us. I'm not going to say anything nasty because he did the best he could but Tyler Florence he's not. I learned to cook from my grandma,  the lady next door and food network. And I found that old cookbooks have the best recipes too.

Same for me if I had followed either of my parents' example. My mom cooked some, but it was usually pretty simple stuff. As much as I loved my mom I hate to say it, but she just wasn't a natural cook. :D (Well, aside from a few favorites I grew up on like her french toast. That was incomparable!) Fun story. Before I was born my mom saw a recipe in the newspaper for a cake she wanted to try. Well, the recipe called for blue cheese. Obviously this was a mistake. But it raised no red flags for my mom whatsoever, and she followed the recipe exactly. While the paper printed a correction the next day saying "oops, cream cheese", the house continued to stink for a week.

Funny enough my major method of learning to cook was watching chefs at Japanese steakhouses. As this was pre-youtube and every other show on TV being cooking related, they were some of the few people I had a chance to just stop and watch cook. I learned a lot just by emulating them as much as possible, which I then adapted with a few cookbooks my mom would pick up for me. (My favorite is this one that is basically just a textbook on Cajun cuisine. Since Cajun cuisine is all about taking the best of french techniques and applying them to everyday life instead of some Le Cordon Bleu snobbery, I think it is probably the single best cuisine to truly learn from. Burn the roux in Paris? Too bad, throw it out, you're a disgrace who just wasted time and money. Burn the roux in N'Orleans? Why, you just made an entirely new dish that is equally delicious!)
~ Ellie
■■■■■■■■■■■■■■■■■■■■■■■■■■■■■■■■■■■■■■■■■■■■■
I ALWAYS WELCOME PMs!
(I made the s lowercase so it didn't look as much like PMS... ;D)

An Open Letter to anyone suffering from anxiety, particularly those afraid to make your first post or continue posting!

8/30/17 - First Therapy! The road begins in earnest.
10/20/17 - First coming out (to my father)!
12/16/17 - BEGAN HRT!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
5/21/18 - FIRST DAY OUT AS ME!!!!!!!!!
6/08/18 - 2,250 Hair Grafts
6/23/18 - FIRST PRIDE!
8/06/18 - 100%, completely out!
9/08/18 - I'M IN LOVE!!!!
2/27/19 - Name Change!

•  

Dena

My mom is a very good cook however if there is on thing that's likely to go wrong on the menu, it will be meat. What happens is she will take a tough cut of beef and cook it at a high temperature. If you take the toughest cut of beef which is brisket and cook it covered in a close fitting pan at 275f for 6 hours, it will come out melt in your mouth. With proper treatment of the brisket before cooking, it makes a very good inexpensive meat. Prime rib even though it's a good cut of meat needs much the same treatment.

It used to be the one cookbook every kitchen should have was "The Joy of Cooking". When the family was still publishing it, you could find almost everything you needed to know in it. The newer editions are not as good so beware if you want a copy of it. Add to that a few special books and you could have a good reference library.
Rebirth Date 1982 - PMs are welcome - Use [email]dena@susans.org[/email] or Discord if your unable to PM - Skype is available - My Transition
If you are helped by this site, consider leaving a tip in the jar at the bottom of the page or become a subscriber
  •  

Julia1996

Quote from: Dena on September 30, 2017, 03:46:48 PM
My mom is a very good cook however if there is on thing that's likely to go wrong on the menu, it will be meat. What happens is she will take a tough cut of beef and cook it at a high temperature. If you take the toughest cut of beef which is brisket and cook it covered in a close fitting pan at 275f for 6 hours, it will come out melt in your mouth. With proper treatment of the brisket before cooking, it makes a very good inexpensive meat. Prime rib even though it's a good cut of meat needs much the same treatment.

It used to be the one cookbook every kitchen should have was "The Joy of Cooking". When the family was still publishing it, you could find almost everything you needed to know in it. The newer editions are not as good so beware if you want a copy of it. Add to that a few special books and you could have a good reference library.

I have an old copy of the joy of cooking. Another excellent really old one is The settlement cook book. There is at least one advantage to having a dad who scrounges through used bookstores. I think a lot of people have trouble with meat. I got a electric pressure cooker. It makes any cut of meat tender.
Julia

Born 1998
Started hrt 2015
SRS done 5/21/2018
  •  

davina61

Yup old cook books are best, Mum gave me a Be-Ro flour cake booklet and its so old its in LB and OZ and Fahrenheit not grams and centigrade. When I say I cook from scratch a lot of folks say cant be bothered , micro meals or take aways full of fats and salt no wonder there is so many unhealthy folk about. 
a long time coming (out) HRT 12 2017
GRS 2021 5th Nov

Jill of all trades mistress of non
Know a bit about everything but not enough to be clever
  •  

Julia1996

Quote from: davina61 on September 30, 2017, 05:01:17 PM
Yup old cook books are best, Mum gave me a Be-Ro flour cake booklet and its so old its in LB and OZ and Fahrenheit not grams and centigrade. When I say I cook from scratch a lot of folks say cant be bothered , micro meals or take aways full of fats and salt no wonder there is so many unhealthy folk about.

It's kind of sad really. Once I made fried chicken and one of my brothers friends was just shocked. The only fried chicken he had ever had was from KFC. He didn't realize you could make fried chicken at home. Lol
Julia

Born 1998
Started hrt 2015
SRS done 5/21/2018
  •  

Laurie

Quote from: davina61 on September 30, 2017, 05:01:17 PM

What are you talking about Davina? Those are normal and current  units of measure.

•  

Julia1996

Quote from: Laurie on September 30, 2017, 05:06:04 PM
What are you talking about Davina? Those are normal and current  units of measure.

Lol, she's Aussie. They use metric measures.
Julia

Born 1998
Started hrt 2015
SRS done 5/21/2018
  •  

Laurie

•  

Julia1996

Julia

Born 1998
Started hrt 2015
SRS done 5/21/2018
  •  

Dena

•  

Laurie

•  

Julia1996

Oh, sorry Davina.  You're in the UK, not Australian. But being called Australian isn't an insult. Lol
Julia

Born 1998
Started hrt 2015
SRS done 5/21/2018
  •  

Laurie

Quote from: Julia1996 on September 30, 2017, 05:43:33 PM
Oh, sorry Davina.  You're in the UK, not Australian. But being called Australian isn't an insult. Lol

You're right Julia, it isn't an insult really since  they are virtually the same and still they're a world apart.

•  

Julia1996

Quote from: Laurie on September 30, 2017, 05:52:19 PM
You're right Julia, it isn't an insult really since  they are virtually the same and still they're a world apart.

You crack me up Laurie.  Lol
Julia

Born 1998
Started hrt 2015
SRS done 5/21/2018
  •  

Laurie

This morning's offering is a  bacon, bell pepper, onion, mushroom, spinach, broccoli frittata with melted cheese on top.

And yesterday's fail