Susan's Place Logo

News:

Based on internal web log processing I show 3,417,511 Users made 5,324,115 Visits Accounting for 199,729,420 pageviews and 8.954.49 TB of data transfer for 2017, all on a little over $2,000 per month.

Help support this website by Donating or Subscribing! (Updated)

Main Menu

Do you think your country would elected a trans* person to its highest office?

Started by SailorMars1994, April 26, 2017, 12:48:44 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

SailorMars1994

I am curious to hear everyones response. Being a Canadian I am certian one day we will have a Trans* Prime Minister. I just got this feeling about it. Would we be able to elect on if an election was held in 2017? well I am unsure. I think a vast majority of Canadians would have no issues voting for a transgender person if said person hold the same values as the voter and is trust worthy (the way it should be) but we dont have any fully transitioned or planning a full transition to elected office. The provinces of Ontario and Prince Edward Island elected a lesbian and and a gay man in 2014 and 2015  respectivley to be their Premiers and given majority government so that is always a good sign. The province of Albeta, long considered Canada's most Conservative province also elected a non-binary provincial MLA to its legislature. I think this bolds well for a Trans* Prime Minister one day in Canada and as always I can see a trans* leader of a country in most of the European countries. How about your own country :)?
AMAB Born: March 1994
Gender became on radar: 2007
Admitted to self : 2010
Came out: May 12 2014
Estrogen: October 16 2015
<3
  •  

CrziCricket

My country....... not any time soon so long as we have our democrats living in small areas and not more spread out in the bible belt and the fly-over states.

My state/city however could totally do it. Maybe not in the next election but within the next ten years totally. There is the advantage of living in CA which is a lot easier. Although I do live in the progressive half of the state not the conservative half.
  •  

SailorMars1994

I would think that California and the other coastal west states would. I would also think Vermont and Massachusetts no problem what so ever and perhaps Colorado (thanks Denver). And in a few years I wouldnt be too suprised to see Virginia and Arizona doing so either. Some other places may take a bit longer tho
<3
  •  

Devlyn

•  

SailorMars1994

<3
  •  

arice

I am also Canadian. I expect that we will see some out trans candidates elected to provincial and federal office in the next couple of years. I don't think a candidate's transgender status would prevent them from being elected or selected as party leader (of at least two federal parties)... but with that in mind, I doubt that we will have a trans prime minister in the next few years just due to the lack of visible trans people in the higher eschilons of the major parties... once there are some, I don't think Canadian voters will care that they are trans.

Sent from my SM-G870W using Tapatalk

•  

LilyMelody

We don't even have one openly trans person is the legislature in the UK.

However! I think we might one day get a trans PM.
  •  

Paige

Quote from: Devlyn Marie on April 26, 2017, 01:10:06 PM
Devlyn for President

Hmmm, has a nice ring to it.  ;D

You would have my vote if I lived in the US. :)

Paige :)
  •  

Nina

Being a Canadian as well, I foresee a day. The problem is, as was the recent BC election, those trans individuals who ran,  were  for parties that have little to no chance of being elected. Only until a trans person decides to run for one of the major parties, I don't see it happening soon.
2007/8 - name change, tracheal shave, electrolysis, therapy
2008 - full time
2014 - GCS Dr. Brassard; remarried
2018 (January)  - hubby and I moved off-grid
2019 - plan originally was to hike PCT in 2020, but now attempting Appalachian Trail - start date April 3.
  •  

Niki Knight

Another Canuck here. I am certain a distinguished Transgender MP will be voted in somewhere in the country and most likely Liberal.

Hmm, carrier change maybe in order.

The Honourable Niki Marie Night, I like the sound of that.

Huggs Girls
  •  

SailorMars1994

^^^ run!!

In Canada I could see an MP get elected as either a Liberal or New Democrat. Maybe one day soon we could have a red tory Conservative. As far as provincial politics I can see the same but with even a trans Conservative MLA is not out of the question is a few provinces. The Conservative party (different named used) in Quebec would very likely let a trans person run as would the Newfoundland Conservatives (Thanks Danny Williams for showing support as early as 2004) and maybe the Nova Scotia and Prince Edward Island Conservatives?? Elsewhere in the county I could see a trans person get elected in any province but likely would have to be either Liberal or New Democrat as other Conservative parties elsewhere have a sizable religious-right audience. However, Patrick Brown, the Ontario Conservative leader (and likely Premier next year) has really gone out of his way to quite any bigots and be accepting to the LBGT comminity!
<3
  •  

Serana95

Usa* Honestly no we have a huge amount of conservative Christians here and most are sadly very trans/homophobic. Hell we can't even get an openly atheist in office, the job pretty much demands a Christian white collar male.

Sent from my SM-G925R4 using Tapatalk

•  

Raell

At least 20 transgender candidates are currently running for office across the United States, NBC News reports.

"We are making 2017 the year of the trans candidate," said Victory Fund President Aisha C. Moodie-Mills, whose organization has endorsed trans candidate Danica Roem for a seat in Virginia's House of Delegates.

"We have more transgender people running this cycle than almost all other cycles combined."

NBC: Twenty Transgender Candidates Running for Office in US http://www.newsmax.com/Politics/transgender-candidates-20-running/2017/06/12/id/795637/ via @Newsmax
  •  

SailorMars1994

Quote from: Serana95 on August 22, 2017, 12:01:24 AM
Usa* Honestly no we have a huge amount of conservative Christians here and most are sadly very trans/homophobic. Hell we can't even get an openly atheist in office, the job pretty much demands a Christian white collar male.

Sent from my SM-G925R4 using Tapatalk

Yes and no. Hillary did win 3 million more votes, but at the same time she did lose states that should have not justed voted for her under normal circumstances, but they should have been easy cake walks (Pennsylvania and Michigan). I remember being optumistic about her win but doubtful even before the result came in. Earlier that day I looked at polls and it showed Ohio being considered a safe Trump state, right then and there I knew she was in trouble. Unless you are JFK no winning person has won the White House without Ohio in the past 7 decade. She could have still won without it  but Ohio is a huge deal and one you want on your side as it is a huge swing state and bell weather state.

As for Trans candidate I dont know, I am sure Colorado would vote for one, as with Washington, Oregon and perhaps California and maybe even New Mexico. I would say a trans-person would easily win Vermont with that state being the least religious, more progressive (atleast on social issues) and having a history of being signifgantly less bigoted compared to other places. But with it being such a small rural state you have more luck finding a cow to run then a trans person. Massachusetts comes next as it is poltically similar to VT, just with a major city. Maybe in another 5 to 10 years the map will be more open :)!
<3
  •  

sarah1972

The Danica Roem candidacy is a great example of some of the uphill battles for trans candidates - she is running in a neighboring county and she does get a lot of media coverage here.

She is running in a county which traditionally has been very conservative, to the tune that I was told to avoid the area out of safety concerns. In recent years, the Washington, DC spreading suburbs have brought a more liberal population to her county. The population growth also lead to a lot of local issues from traffic congestion to insane power line construction. These are the areas Danica tries to focus on. She has been a newspaper reporter for many years and has a great understanding of local issues. Her goal is to focus her entire campaign on resolving local issues, the top one being traffic congestion.

Unfortunately - a lot of discussion is still about her being a trans women. Almost every bit of media coverage picks up on her being trans. She is also facing a second challenge: she has received sizable campaign contributions from out-of-state organizations supporting her run for office, something which does not necessarily sit well with locals.

Lastly she is running against a long term (11 terms!) incumbent, extremely conservative who has pushed for all kind of crazy legislation restricting transgender, women and LGBT rights. He has also deliberately misgendered Danica a few times in interviews and speeches.

Danica is receiving an outpouring of support from many but it will be a real uphill battle for her to make it in that area. Unfortunately especially due to her being trans. It is very hard for me to say but a cis women running on the same platform would have a much better shot in this area. It is very unfortunate that people focus on the wrong things. She wants to solve local issues, she wants to fight for her constituents and she knows a lot about every day worries of the area. That is what should count, nothing else.

I still hope for a small miracle this November!

Quote from: Raell on August 22, 2017, 02:08:37 AM
At least 20 transgender candidates are currently running for office across the United States, NBC News reports.

"We are making 2017 the year of the trans candidate," said Victory Fund President Aisha C. Moodie-Mills, whose organization has endorsed trans candidate Danica Roem for a seat in Virginia's House of Delegates.

"We have more transgender people running this cycle than almost all other cycles combined."

NBC: Twenty Transgender Candidates Running for Office in US http://www.newsmax.com/Politics/transgender-candidates-20-running/2017/06/12/id/795637/ via @Newsmax

•  

arice

Quote from: SailorMars1994 on August 21, 2017, 10:19:04 PM
^^^ run!!

In Canada I could see an MP get elected as either a Liberal or New Democrat. Maybe one day soon we could have a red tory Conservative. As far as provincial politics I can see the same but with even a trans Conservative MLA is not out of the question is a few provinces. The Conservative party (different named used) in Quebec would very likely let a trans person run as would the Newfoundland Conservatives (Thanks Danny Williams for showing support as early as 2004) and maybe the Nova Scotia and Prince Edward Island Conservatives?? Elsewhere in the county I could see a trans person get elected in any province but likely would have to be either Liberal or New Democrat as other Conservative parties elsewhere have a sizable religious-right audience. However, Patrick Brown, the Ontario Conservative leader (and likely Premier next year) has really gone out of his way to quite any bigots and be accepting to the LBGT comminity!
I am in Alberta. I think that a trans candidate could get elected in any of our urban areas. For a conservative trans person, the bigger hurdle would be getting their party to approve their nomination (I can't see the new UCP letting a trans person run but the old PC party might have done so in Calgary). The NDP, Liberal and Alberta parties wouldn't have a problem with running trans candidates. We actually have a non-binary person as a sitting MLA although they weren't out as non-binady when they were elected (elected as a lesbian though).

Sent from my SM-G930W8 using Tapatalk
  •  

AnneK

While not trans, we do have an openly gay Premier, Kathleen Wynne, in Ontario.  So, there's hope.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Kathleen_Wynne
I'm a 65 year old male who has been thinking about SRS for many years.  I also was a  full cross dresser for a few years.  I wear a bra, pantyhose and nail polish daily because it just feels right.

Started HRT April 17, 2019.
  •  

SailorMars1994

I forgot about the Non-Binary person in Alberta! But yes, I think just about every province, in most ridings urban and even rural (depending on the local atmopshere) have a chance of being elected. Its just no trans people seem to grab the bull by the horn when it comes to politics. To add, Provincial and Terrirtorrial Conservative Partys that would likely be accepting to a Trans candidate is the Yukon Party located in well, Yukon. Yukons right wing party has often been the winner of the day , especially in recent years. Yukon has pretty well known reputation of being a very accepting place for LGBT even though it is a rather rural area as 33,000 people call Yukon, the size of the place is if I am not mistaken is somewhere in between that of California and Texas, home. To my American friends the comparison was to state how large and rural Yukon is! Yukon was the 4th place in Canada to legalize gay marriage in 2004 just after Ontario, British Columbia and Quebec did. Aswell, poltically it is rather left federally. It was the only Province/Territory to vote New Democratic in 1993 for McLaughlin and 1997 for Alexa McDonough. It was the only Province/Territory outside of Atlantic Canada to vote for Stephane Dions Liberals in 2008 and though narrowly losing the place to the Conservative in 2011, shot back hard to the Liberals in 2015 to be Trudueas 4th best performance.
<3
  •  

Paige

Quote from: SailorMars1994 on August 22, 2017, 08:27:57 PM
Its just no trans people seem to grab the bull by the horn when it comes to politics.

Perhaps you should throw your hat in the ring :)

•  

SailorMars1994

<3
  •