Susan's Place Logo

News:

Please be sure to review The Site terms of service, and rules to live by

Main Menu

Do you think your country would elected a trans* person to its highest office?

Started by SailorMars1994, April 26, 2017, 12:48:44 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Devlyn

Quote from: Dietlind on December 17, 2018, 10:18:28 AM
See, there we have a difference.  I do not have any military training, and was thus not trained to blindly follow orders of whoever considers him or herself to be the leader!

My scientific training taught me to never accept anything as given, and to question anybody and any theses.  And using these term the orange com over, I just used terms that are common place among many people, and I blend into the crowd.  If anybody makes fun of peoples disability, it is that person, and he is the one who is sitting in the glass house and is trowing stones at anybody in his way!

Anyway, you and I feel different about this, and I hope that he leaves us alone, because people like I (XXY) seem not to exist for him anyway!

Respect for the office is an old concept that has nothing to do with blindly following anything.

It is not my job to educate you. Do your homework yourself.
  •  

AnneK

QuoteRespect for the office

Respect for office and respect for the individual are two entirely different things.  Respect for the individual has to be earned.  Trump has certainly not earned respect.

I believe it was the head of NBC news who said he never thought he'd see the day when responding to the President of the U.S. was beneath his dignity.
I'm a 65 year old male who has been thinking about SRS for many years.  I also was a  full cross dresser for a few years.  I wear a bra, pantyhose and nail polish daily because it just feels right.

Started HRT April 17, 2019.
  •  

Devlyn

Quote from: AnneK on December 17, 2018, 10:32:02 AM
Respect for office and respect for the individual are two entirely different things.  Respect for the individual has to be earned.  Trump has certainly not earned respect.

I believe it was the head of NBC news who said he never thought he'd see the day when responding to the President of the U.S. was beneath his dignity.

As I already addressed. If we want to be respected despite our physical faults, like big hands, broad shoulders, lack of curves, balding heads, bad wigs, and deep voices, who are we to mock someone with terms like "orange combover guy"?

I rest my case.
  •  

Linde

Quote from: AnneK on December 17, 2018, 10:32:02 AM

I am fully with you.  I cannot respect a person just because she/he was supposedly elected to an office, no matter whether this person was a crook all life long, and still acts like one!
My mother was interned in a concentration camp, because not enough people questioned the then leader, and just followed him, because he was the holder of an office!
02/22/2019 bi-lateral orchiectomy

•  

Cindy

:police:

Please address the thread topic and not get into throwing insults about people. There are lots of social media areas that provide that outlet.

Cindy
  •  

MaryT

I think that a trans person could win, especially if his or her policies were more popular than those of the other candidates.  The first barrier, though, would be becoming the candidate of one's party in the first place and that depends largely on whether the party leaders regard the would-be candidate as having electable personal qualities.  That makes me ask the related question of whether a trans man would have an advantage over a trans woman.

In response to a question about who would win a particular election, someone, presumably in a bad mood, nastily replied
"People vote for the most macho candidate, even if it's a woman."
(It was me and I regret and apologise for saying it.)  Nasty, snide, unfair and just plain false it may have been but I think that the electorate do tend to vote for someone perceived as strong willed and fiercely patriotic (occasionally with historically disastrous results).

Of course, womanly women can have those qualities, especially those who stand for office.  However, do the electorate find those qualities  more believable in men?  If so, given that their policies were equally popular, would they be more likely to vote for a FTM trans candidate than a MTF one? 

Come to that, would a trans man have an advantage over a cis woman?
  •  

Ryuichi13

Honestly, I hope to see a transgender Vice President in my lifetime (I'm almost 57.) 

I don't like our current president either, but I DO respect the office.  I feel the only thing that we can do is wait for 2020, when the current administration gets voted out of office.  Hopefully someone with an open mind and open heart will win the presidency then. 

In the meantime, this past election saw quite a few transgender people get elected into various offices.  So there's hope!  ;)

Ryuichi

•  

CindyLouFromCO

I've taken what others have offered, so now I'm giving back.
  •  

GingerVicki

Quote from: CindyLouFromCO on December 18, 2018, 06:12:02 PM
Maybe we already have?  Maybe they never transitioned...

I totally believe this. I am a firm believer that there are more non-transitioners than transitioners.
  •  

Ryuichi13

Quote from: GingerVicki on December 18, 2018, 07:08:02 PM
I totally believe this. I am a firm believer that there are more non-transitioners than transitioners.

I'm with you!  It takes courage to transition, and to some, it might not be worth the trouble, heartache and sometimes scary changes that it takes to do so.

To those people, I wish them the best of luck.  They probably need it.

Ryuichi

•  

Haley Conner

There was J Edgar Hoover.  I don't think he quite qualifies, but it's in the neighborhood.
  •  

Devlyn

Quote from: Zumbagirl on April 03, 2019, 06:44:18 AM
Never going to happen, ever.

I think a few decades ago it was conventional wisdom that we would never elect a person of colour or a woman, to the office, but we've cleared one of those hurdles already, and nearly cleared the other. Given time, I'm sure a transgender person can achieve it.

On a side note, the "highest office" is currently not held by the President, but by the House and Senate with their lack of term limits. They are career politicians and wield most of the power.
  •  

Rhonda Lynn

I believe we are about one generation behind where gays are. In the 1980s, it was still okay to make fun of gays just like it is still okay for people to make fun of us. Also in the 1980s, many people, perhaps even a majority openly referred to gays as mentally ill or deviant.

Only in the last couple of weeks, Pete Buttigieg appears to be the first openly gay presidential candidate to really be breaking into the top tier of the polls. Amazingly, it doesn't seem like the fact that he's gay is really the most important thing about him.

I hope that is where we can get to at some point. That is, that a trans candidate could run and the fact that they're trans is not considered all that important.
  •  

GingerVicki

Not to sound crazy, but I am pretty sure that the strings are pulled from people we never hear about.
  •  

Madison2002

Quote from: CindyLouFromCO on December 18, 2018, 06:12:02 PM
Maybe we already have?  Maybe they never transitioned...

I could totes see Nixon being closeted trans, lolz. He was way too vindictive against openly gay people, to a suspicious degree.  :P
  •  

KathyLauren

It could happen here (Canada) eventually.  Not for quite a long time, though.  I fear that we could elect a fascist before that happens.
2015-07-04 Awakening; 2015-11-15 Out to self; 2016-06-22 Out to wife; 2016-10-27 First time presenting in public; 2017-01-20 Started HRT!!; 2017-04-20 Out publicly; 2017-07-10 Legal name change; 2019-02-15 Approval for GRS; 2019-08-02 Official gender change; 2020-03-11 GRS; 2020-09-17 New birth certificate
  •  

Bea1968

I expect the US will eventually get to that point.  I do not believe I will live to see it though.
  •  

MaryT

Quote from: Devlyn on April 28, 2019, 11:28:31 AM
Well, well, well...

https://www.gaystarnews.com/article/meet-pam-rocker-the-black-trans-woman-running-for-president-of-the-united-states/#gs.7y69ju

That's wonderful.  I think that some of her platform is impractical, though.  Giving a free car to every family seems less environmentally friendly than compulsory recycling.  Also, if all descendants of slaves get reparation, however small, what would the criteria be?  Many people who look white have black ancestors, and some freed slaves owned slaves themselves:
Did Black People Own Slaves?
  •