Susan's Place Logo

News:

According to Google Analytics 25,259,719 users made visits accounting for 140,758,117 Pageviews since December 2006

Main Menu

Trachea Shave at Kaiser

Started by sweetc, April 30, 2017, 01:03:07 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

sweetc

Hi all,

I recently underwent a trachea shave through Kaiser in Nor Cal and do not know how to feel. After undergoing the surgery I seem to still have a very visible bump and now scar on my neck and don't know where to go from here. When I mentioned it to the doctor he stated that he got what he could get without damaging my vocal cords, so I am curious if it was the surgeon's technique that made this outcome because I see a lot of of women who have undergone the procedure and have beautiful smooth necks, so I'm curious  is there a possibility that I can get a second trachea shave maybe with a surgeon who isn't a Kaiser one? is it worth it?
  •  

Dena

Welcome to Susan's Place. I had a trachea shave and there is still a small visible bump from my larynx. The doctor made a trade off of taking off what he could without damaging the voice. For some of us that's the best that can be done and to remove more than that will result in a lower voice. There is one other option and that's CTA voice surgery. In the procedure, a wire through the larynx provide the structural that is removed by the deeper cut. I went to Dr Haben who offers the procedure but fortunately it wasn't needed. CTA can limit vocal range and I prefer to leave my options as open as possible.

We issue to all new members the following links so you will best be able to use the web site.

Things that you should read

Rebirth Date 1982 - PMs are welcome - Use [email]dena@susans.org[/email] or Discord if your unable to PM - Skype is available - My Transition
If you are helped by this site, consider leaving a tip in the jar at the bottom of the page or become a subscriber
  •  

oneoftwo

Quote from: sweetc on April 30, 2017, 01:03:07 AM
Hi all,

I recently underwent a trachea shave through Kaiser in Nor Cal and do not know how to feel. After undergoing the surgery I seem to still have a very visible bump and now scar on my neck and don't know where to go from here. When I mentioned it to the doctor he stated that he got what he could get without damaging my vocal cords, so I am curious if it was the surgeon's technique that made this outcome because I see a lot of of women who have undergone the procedure and have beautiful smooth necks, so I'm curious  is there a possibility that I can get a second trachea shave maybe with a surgeon who isn't a Kaiser one? is it worth it?

See Dr. O's book on FFS.  He developed a technique for doing that procedure through a small incision below the chin, in a place where there is a natural crease in the skin and it heals and is not visible.  That is the standard of care.  It has been for 15 years or more.   If a surgeon does it some other way,  the surgeon should have explained to you the risks and likely results (a visible scar, or worse) of not doing that procedure using the right (published standard of care) technique.  (the "worse" is kind of a trigger,  so it is in a PM)

Quoteso I'm curious  is there a possibility that I can get a second trachea shave maybe with a surgeon who isn't a Kaiser one? is it worth it?

Since you are in the Nor Cal area,  you might go see Dr. O's successor.  According to some posts on other forums, he spends a fair amount of time correcting poor or bad FFS results from other surgeons.  That way, you can get an answer from someone that does trachea shaves "right" time after time.  That is the only way you are ever going to know,  for sure.

•  

Jujubee

I couldn't agree more than with Oneoftwo's comments. I went to Dr O's successor for my trach shave and it was worth the $$. This is your voice here, so if you decide
On a revision (which you may likely decide not to do)
you would be best served going to the expert.
  •  

sweetc

What does a trachea shave usually cost? I am just starting college ( fresh from high school) so I don't have a lot of money to necessarily spend.

Also does the scar eventually heal
  •  

keojampamd

Please make sure your trach shave surgeon can clearly explain how they will determine the exact location of the vocal cord attachment to the trachea cartilage (scientific name is thyroid cartilage).  The cartilage and prominence can only be removed above that.  If they cannot explain that then I would run.  If you shave at or below the attachment, you will detach the vocal cords and cause permanent hoarseness and breathing issues.  The method we use is after making a small less than 1cm under the chin (not over the cartilage!), We then expose the entire thyroid cartilage and the laryngeal prominence which is responsible for the visible adams apple.  The anesthesiologist uses a laryngeal mask airway (LMA) to provide general anesthesia and a fiberoptic bronchoscope is passed through the LMA into the throat  and the vocal cords are seen.  Then through the neck, a small needle is pierced through the thyroid cartlage and with the flexible bronchoscope, we can determine the exact location of the vocal cord attachment.  The area is marked on the thyroid cartilage and all the cartilage above that can be removed.  Without this technique, its all guesswork and significant risk of causing permanent voice problems after.  Also using this technique, all the cartilage can be maximally shaved to the limits of safety and to not cause complications after.
  •  

sweetc

My surgeon told me his technique with using a camera to see where the vocal cords and cartilage attach and to see where the furthest he can go is and he supposedly got the most he could  but there is still a huge bump and I am just curious on how people like Gigi Goregous have completely smooth necks but I dont and will that ever be possible now that I got this surgery
  •  

keojampamd

A non invasive way determine if all the cartilage during the trach shave was removed is a CT Scan of the Neck.  You will be able to see the attachment of the vocal cords and check how much Cartilage is above that area.  If there is still alot, then it can definitely be improved upon.  Also be aware that  for some, the prominence comes from the cricoid cartilage which is below the trachea or thyroid cartilage.  It is NOT safe to shave or remove that cartilage.
  •  

snarkmeister

sweetc, if you're still around - which doctor at Kaiser did your surgery? My amab daughter is having her trachea shave tomorrow at Kaiser in SF.
  •