Susan's Place Logo

News:

Please be sure to review The Site terms of service, and rules to live by

Main Menu

Salon hunting

Started by Shy, May 03, 2017, 12:00:47 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Shy

Found my go to beauty salon today after a lot of searching around and feeling awkward:)

Spent the afternoon looking through wigs and trying on different styles. It was quite emotional for me being the first time I've seen my self with hair in 40 years.
The staff were amazing with me, I came out feeling another box has been ticked. They are happy to help me with my transition and get me looking my best for the upcoming gender clinic appointments. I felt right at home and accepted,
so a good day for me :)

Peace and love and all that good stuff

Sadie
  •  

JeanetteLW

Hi Sadie,

I still can't bring myself to do something like that. Keep it up and you'll leave me gasping for breath in your dust.

I did look online again for a place to inquire about electrolysis and once again I find I have only one option fairly close without going into Portland. I've even bookmarked the site, have a shortcut on my desktop to the address and phone number, and haven't called them yet. I am leery about it as I can't really find any reviews or ratings. The site has little actual information on it except the tech does it by appointment only and is board certified. No menu of services, nor any pricing info.
  Again I find myself disappointed with the lack of resources available in and around Portland.

Good for you Sadie. Keep on truckin.

Hugs,
   laurie
  •  

Kelly1ca

I to have an appointment this afternoon to get my first wig. I'm so excited. I hope it is as good as your experience.
  •  

JeanetteLW

Quote from: Kelly1ca on May 03, 2017, 02:18:40 PM
I to have an appointment this afternoon to get my first wig. I'm so excited. I hope it is as good as your experience.

But Kelly, I got mine the chicken's way.... mail order.

I'm excited for you too. I want my next wig to be a decent human hair one and I'll have to find a place where I can get some good advice and feedback selecting one. Hmmm, just like you are doing. Now who is leading whom?

Hugs,
    Laurie

PS  Sorry Kelly I didn't look at the name and assumed I was talking to Sadie.
  •  

Kelly1ca

When I first made the appointment I was a ball of nerves. The owner of the shop was very understanding and said that I wasn't her firsts person transitioning. She has also offered to give me a make over. So today I plan on making an appointment for that.
  •  

JeanetteLW

Quote from: Kelly1ca on May 03, 2017, 03:04:38 PM
When I first made the appointment I was a ball of nerves. The owner of the shop was very understanding and said that I wasn't her firsts person transitioning. She has also offered to give me a make over. So today I plan on making an appointment for that.

Kelly,

I would be too, But you did it and I hope you have a great time doing it too.  And just what is this about that nasty "M" word? Such talk!  You should go wash your mouth with soap.

Hugs,
   Laurie
  •  

Shy

Quote from: JeanetteLW on May 03, 2017, 01:03:12 PM
  Hi Sadie,

I still can't bring myself to do something like that. Keep it up and you'll leave me gasping for breath in your dust.

I did look online again for a place to inquire about electrolysis and once again I find I have only one option fairly close without going into Portland. I've even bookmarked the site, have a shortcut on my desktop to the address and phone number, and haven't called them yet. I am leery about it as I can't really find any reviews or ratings. The site has little actual information on it except the tech does it by appointment only and is board certified. No menu of services, nor any pricing info.
  Again I find myself disappointed with the lack of resources available in and around Portland.

Good for you Sadie. Keep on truckin.

Hugs,
   laurie

You've been holding your own these past months Laurie, and you've certainly got a boobstart on me.

Me experience today.....'Hello, i'm Sadie do you sell wigs?'. 'Certainly, take a seat and I'll be with you in few minutes'. That was the sum total of my introduction then we got chatting about all sorts of things. Yes, women actually chat in salons, it's a world apart from the barbers where even the haircuts can beat you up.
The hard part for me was battling the squirrels that guarded the salon doors.

Peace and love and all that good stuff,

Sadie
  •  

Shy

Quote from: Kelly1ca on May 03, 2017, 03:04:38 PM

Me too. I scouted out a few first by looking through the windows trying to imagine myself fitting in. I phoned one and instantly hung up. Scouted a few more and in the end found the goldilocks salon that seemed just right for me.

Have fun Kelly :)

Sadie
  •  

JeanetteLW

Quote from: Shy on May 03, 2017, 04:33:05 PM

The hard part for me was battling the squirrels that guarded the salon doors.

Sadie

Hey, Those guard squirrels are HUGE!!! I have a devil of a time trying to get past. One of these days I might make it.

Good Job Sadie

Hugs,
   Laurie
  •  

Shy

Quote from: Laurie on May 03, 2017, 11:08:41 PM
    Hey, Those guard squirrels are HUGE!!! I have a devil of a time trying to get past. One of these days I might make it.

Good Job Sadie

Hugs,
   Laurie

Just tell them pesky squirrels the ladies at Susan's Place sent you and if they don't let you past there will be trouble ;D

Nice to see your name in lights Laurie, it really suits you:)

Sadie
  •  

Kelly1ca

It was a great experience. I got exactly what I was looking for and made that appointment for the complete makeover. I can't wait.
  •  

Shy

Quote from: Kelly1ca on May 04, 2017, 07:35:09 AM
It was a great experience. I got exactly what I was looking for and made that appointment for the complete makeover. I can't wait.

That's wonderful news Kelly :) I was hoping it would work out for you.

Have fun with the makeover, I haven't booked mine yet as the makeup technician was on holiday, but don't tell the ladies here or they'll be on to me quicker that a squirrel on a skateboard ;D

Sadie
  •  

Laurie

Quote from: Shy on May 04, 2017, 11:23:44 AM
That's wonderful news Kelly :) I was hoping it would work out for you.

Have fun with the makeover, I haven't booked mine yet as the makeup technician was on holiday, but don't tell the ladies here or they'll be on to me quicker that a squirrel on a skateboard ;D

Sadie

You have nothing to fear from me Sadie. You know I don't use the "M" word.

Hugs,
   Laurie
April 13, 2019 switched to estradiol valerate
December 20, 2018    Referral sent to OHSU Dr Dugi  for vaginoplasty consult
December 10, 2018    Second Letter VA Psychiatric Practical nurse
November 15, 2018    First letter from VA therapist
May 11, 2018 I am Laurie Jeanette Wickwire
May   3, 2018 Submitted name change forms
Aug 26, 2017 another increase in estradiol
Jun  26, 2017 Last day in male attire That's full time I guess
May 20, 2017 doubled estradiol
May 18, 2017 started electrolysis
Dec   4, 2016 Started estradiol and spironolactone

•  

kat69

It's important to build upon every single success, no matter how small when it comes to transitioning.  Finding a friendly and helpful salon is one victory, finding a nice wig is another.  For me, this was the milestone that opened the door to RLE, I've basically been full time since I found my first wig. 

You know, there are businesses which will help you out by doing a "house call", where they will meet you at your safe place and keep your privacy, while providing you options and service.  Don't hesitate to ask...it could be the one act that opens the door to the rest of your life.
Therapy - December 2015
Out to Family - 15 September 2016
Start of Transition - 28 October 2016
Full Time - 2 November 2016
HRT - 23 November 2016
GCS - 30 April 2018 (Dr Brassard)

•  

Shy

Quote from: Laurie on May 04, 2017, 11:30:30 AM
You have nothing to fear from me Sadie. You know I don't use the "M" word.

Hugs,
   Laurie

Aw shucks Laurie, that's another 50 credits back on your "M" word report card. :)

It's been another good day for me, the wigs can't come soon enough though. The salon says they'll keep ordering in three at a time until I'm completely happy. I'm definitely going shortish, grey and practical for daily wear and maybe with something a little more stylish for special occasions and nights out. Decisions, decisions.........what's a girl to do?

Sadie
  •  

Shy

Quote from: kat69 on May 04, 2017, 11:51:43 AM
It's important to build upon every single success, no matter how small when it comes to transitioning.  Finding a friendly and helpful salon is one victory, finding a nice wig is another.  For me, this was the milestone that opened the door to RLE, I've basically been full time since I found my first wig. 

You know, there are businesses which will help you out by doing a "house call", where they will meet you at your safe place and keep your privacy, while providing you options and service.  Don't hesitate to ask...it could be the one act that opens the door to the rest of your life.

Hi Kat,

I know having hair will certainly help me present better once I get used to it, I've been relying on head wraps up until now.
I won't say i'm not worried, it's going to be a shock for the neighbours to see me with a full head of hair. They're only just getting used to the makeup and nails poor things.

Peace and love and all that good stuff

Sadie
  •  

Shy

Booked my first makeover with the new salon today. More of a teaching session really so looking forward to that.

Picked up my wig also. It's strange having hair again, it's going to take a while for me to get comfortable with it.
Feeling a bit transitioned out today so i'll wait for the morning to try and get it to sit right with my psyche. Hair is kind of a sensitive subject for me, I should be really happy but I just feel a little odd and disconnected just now. I'll get used to it.
Aslo dealing with some medical issues. Been painfully cramping in my feet and loosing all strength in my arms. Dizzy spells and loosing my balance for the past few months, and it's progressively getting worse :( Trying to not let it bother me, but the squirrels are loving it. I worry about not being able to start HRT on medical grounds, but that's just my brain running on overdrive until the bloods arrive.

Since everyone's talking about electrolysis, turns out this salon does it too, so as not to miss out on all the fun I may volunteer as a human pin cushion. Just got to work out the finances first, but it looks doable.

So that's my day really, should start one of those transitioning threads to keep it all in one place, so you girls can keep me on my toes if I start slacking ;D Sorry for sounding a bit down, didn't mean to. Just started offloading as I typed away. I'll bounce back tomorrow and I'v got a makeover and a bit of pampering to look forward to.

Sadie
  •  

Laurie

Hey Sadie,

Congratulations on getting the wig. I'm confident you will overcome whatever issues you are having about it at the moment. Regarding you feeling a bit off and ambivalent right now, we all have those spells. reference my onwn a few days ago. These things pass too.
  I am not liking this talk of dizziness, numb parts (other than the lump on your shoulders) cramping feet and pains. If you have not been in touch with your doctor I am not just recommending you do, I am telling you to do it now! These symptoms can be serious and should not be put off.
  Glad you are thinking of electrolysis, we would be starting close to the same time if you hurry. They say mizzery love company so get with the program girl.
   What with this "M" word everyone is bantering around? I think some ladies are obsessed with it.. Go for it too Sadie they say the experience is worth the effort. But I'm not convinced of that yet.

Hope you get over your troubles and enjoy  being  girly again soon.

Hugs,
   Laurie
Dec   4, 2016 Started estradiol and spironolactone

•  

Shy

Quote from: Laurie on May 11, 2017, 11:13:20 AM
Hey Sadie,

Congratulations on getting the wig. I'm confident you will overcome whatever issues you are having about it at the moment. Regarding you feeling a bit off and ambivalent right now, we all have those spells. reference my onwn a few days ago. These things pass too.
  I am not liking this talk of dizziness, numb parts (other than the lump on your shoulders) cramping feet and pains. If you have not been in touch with your doctor I am not just recommending you do, I am telling you to do it now! These symptoms can be serious and should not be put off.
  Glad you are thinking of electrolysis, we would be starting close to the same time if you hurry. They say mizzery love company so get with the program girl.
   What with this "M" word everyone is bantering around? I think some ladies are obsessed with it.. Go for it too Sadie they say the experience is worth the effort. But I'm not convinced of that yet.

Hope you get over your troubles and enjoy  being  girly again soon.

Hugs,
   Laurie

Message received Laurie, and thanks for the concern. I already have an appointment with the doc. Won't be for a few weeks though so I might have to go emergency if things get worse. But don't worry girl, I'm on it.

Off to see the psychologist tomorrow, with all that brain shrinking i'm worried if my new wig will still fit afterwards;)
I shall wear furby to the appointment though, which may raise a few eyebrows from the natives. Speaking of eyebrows I had mine threaded and waxed today, just a top up.

I've had a few drugstore makeovers before, but this is the first proper salon one. I'm really looking forward to it :)

Electrolysis shall hence forth be known as the "E" word. So if "E" comes before "M" I guess you got things in the right order Laurie :) However, that doesn't mean you can wiggle out of "M"! Because "E" does not trump "M" or act as a "get out of makeover free" card, these are the rules.

Sadie
  •  

Laurie

Sadie,

OMG More rules?!  lol  I'm not sure I understand all of them in reference to that "M" word. I think you need to concentrate on that "E" word myself.... FYI Eyebrow shaping is also on the list. *sigh* Threading is what I have in mind.

Hugs,
   Laurie