Susan's Place Logo

News:

Visit our Discord server  and Wiki

Main Menu

What kind of Buddhist are you?

Started by Nari, May 16, 2017, 11:49:17 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Nari

I'm super stoked that there is a Buddhism spirituality section on this forum and after reading through a lot of threads it seems like there are quite a few Buddhists in this community...

I am Soto Zen, Lineage of Taisen Deshimaru. 

But I would like to know what sect/lineages are everyone else?  :)

Nami Dofu.
  •  

Janes Groove

Quote from: Nari on May 16, 2017, 11:49:17 AM
I'm super stoked that there is a Buddhism spirituality section on this forum and after reading through a lot of threads it seems like there are quite a few Buddhists in this community...

I am Soto Zen, Lineage of Taisen Deshimaru. 

But I would like to know what sect/lineages are everyone else?  :)

Nami Dofu.

I really don't have a denomination.  I just am.
  •  

Nari

•  

KathyLauren

I am a fairly non-denominational Mahayana Buddhist.  Most of my practice over the years has been in the Tibetan Karma Kagyu tradition.  The closest groups to me now are all Shambhala, but it's a bit of a drive to any of them, so I just meditate on my own.
2015-07-04 Awakening; 2015-11-15 Out to self; 2016-06-22 Out to wife; 2016-10-27 First time presenting in public; 2017-01-20 Started HRT!!; 2017-04-20 Out publicly; 2017-07-10 Legal name change; 2019-02-15 Approval for GRS; 2019-08-02 Official gender change; 2020-03-11 GRS; 2020-09-17 New birth certificate
  •  

Kylo

I read a lot about Buddhism back in the day, especially Japanese Zen and how it can be applied to all sort of activities and art forms.

I could not call myself a Buddhist but I have taken some of the wisdom and incorporated it into my worldview over the years, and used some of it as a method of dealing with stress and transience, which has been very useful. 
"If the freedom of speech is taken away, then dumb and silent we may be led, like sheep to the slaughter."
  •  

rmaddy

A drinking, cussing, meditating Buddhist...
  •  

Holis

I am most likely influenced by the Mahayana tradition, but also a bit of Zen and Chan. Inspiring for me are the mystical Elements of the tibetian variations of Buddhism and the connection with mongolian Tengrism. I am not religious, but I like the concepts and stories of quite a few "cultures".

Gesendet von meinem GT-I9195 mit Tapatalk

•  

Torchickens

I'm not Buddhist per se, but I like to 'pick and mix' concepts from religions that help me find strength. I like the symbolism of happy Buddhas.

I also like their idea of pain and/or reality being an illusion.
  •  

RoryL

I think of myself as a secular Buddhist. Generally attracted to Soto Zen, but still exploring. I'm getting closer to engaging with the local Valley Dragon Zen Sangha that practices in the tradition of Eihei Dogen and Shunryu Suzuki; it's affiliated with Ancient Dragon Zen Gate in Chicago.

My practice currently is daily meditation along with studying the dharma as presented by various teachers (not only Soto Zen ones). Most recently I've been reading Noah Levine's "Against the Stream" and finding it very helpful.
"I will not have my life narrowed down. I will not bow down to somebody else's whim or to someone else's ignorance" - bell hooks

"The best mind-altering drug is the truth." - Lily Tomlin

•  

barbie

Quote from: Torchickens on January 24, 2018, 01:24:54 PM
I'm not Buddhist per se, but I like to 'pick and mix' concepts from religions that help me find strength. I like the symbolism of happy Buddhas.

I also like their idea of pain and/or reality being an illusion.

Me, too!

I do not like most religious dogmas, but Buddhism is an exception. It helps a little bit whenever I become very sad. There are numerous temples here, and most of them are just interested in money like capitalistic entrepreneur. Nevertheless I want to  learn more about Buddhism, and meditate some day.

barbie~~
Just do it.
  •