Susan's Place Logo

News:

According to Google Analytics 25,259,719 users made visits accounting for 140,758,117 Pageviews since December 2006

Main Menu

Star Wars Rogue One

Started by Jennifer RachaelAnn, May 16, 2017, 12:33:31 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Jennifer RachaelAnn

Who has seen this? What were your thoughts on it? To me it was the biggest Star Wars monstrosity since Hayden Christianson. They jumped way back from The Force Awakens, into the middle of the originals, and made no effort to make a decent and entertaining movie. If they had picked up where The Force Awakens left off, maybe they could have come up with something entertaining, or at least respectable. George Lucas' vision has been destroyed since he sold the rights to Disney. Which I personally think was the biggest blunder in the history of cinema.

Give me Return of the Jedi anytime.

Mods - I just realized I posted this on the wrong board. I would move it myself if I had the ability, so I hope it's not much trouble to move it.
"There are many who would take my time. I shun them.
There are some who share my time. I am entertained by them.
There are precious few who contribute to my time. I cherish them."

-Anton Szandor LaVey

•  

Nari

I absolutely loved it.  My only qualm was that Disney nixxed the extended universe of Kyle Katarn helping steal the original Death Star plans, I like it more than force awakens, and I liked force awakens.

The next movie is supposed to follow force awakens.
  •  

Kelly1ca

I found it to be another Disney grasp for money. They threw us back and gave absolutely no indication on where it fit into the whole timeline of Star Wars. I have always been more of a Star Trek fan anyway
  •  

staciM

I know virtually nothing about the extended stories beyond the motion pictures, but I also really enjoyed Rogue One.  It was meant to be a different type of movie than the main 7(+) and that was ok with me.
- Staci -
  •  

Nari

Quote from: Kelly1ca on May 16, 2017, 12:52:16 PM
I found it to be another Disney grasp for money. They threw us back and gave absolutely no indication on where it fit into the whole timeline of Star Wars. I have always been more of a Star Trek fan anyway

I guess I knew it was supposed to be right before "a new hope"  As soon as I heard the premise that they where stealing the death star plans like a year before Rogue One came out...

But I like Star Wars way too much...
  •  

Tammy Jade

I enjoyed it. I was really frustrated when cannon became legends but I'm over it. As long as they don't ruin Thrawn (which I hope is ok with it being written by Timothy Zan) I'll be happy.

I personally think it fit quite well with the time line.. I like the idea that every second movie will be Skywalker / Standalone

I though it was a really nice change to actually have some (trying to avoid spoilers here)  consequences and not all roses and happy endings

The only thing that really annoyed me was the Tarkin CGI (when you own: ILM and Pixar surely that should be on point)

And Saw Gerrera was under-utilised and a little weird.

Otherwise I feel I achieved what it set out to do which was to fill in the gap between 3 & 4 and focus on showing us more of the SWCU without focusing solely on Solo's and Skywalkers.

Sorry this ended up a little long but I love my Star Wars :P and I'm way over invested in it.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
- Tamara Jade

** The Meaning of Life?? Is to find the Meaning of Life **
  •  

Artesia

Spoilers included:

It was entertaining for me, but I figured out that everyone was going to die about 20 minutes in.  It was the only way for these characters, who were pivotal at their time, to exist in the continuity of the original trilogy.  I also like how they close the plot hole of how a seemingly minor conduit could be so destructive. 
All the worlds a joke, and the people, merely punchlines

September 13, 2016 HRT start date
  •  

Tammy Jade

Quote from: Artesia on May 16, 2017, 05:34:15 PM
Spoilers included:

It was entertaining for me, but I figured out that everyone was going to die about 20 minutes in.  It was the only way for these characters, who were pivotal at their time, to exist in the continuity of the original trilogy.  I also like how they close the plot hole of how a seemingly minor conduit could be so destructive.

I also like how it fixes the plot hole of why they didn't have the fleet at Yavin

- Tamara Jade

** The Meaning of Life?? Is to find the Meaning of Life **
  •  

Artesia

Quote from: Tammy Jade on May 16, 2017, 06:21:24 PM
I also like how it fixes the plot hole of why they didn't have the fleet at Yavin

I don't know why I didn't mention that one?!?  I'm slipping.

It did open a new one with the physical handing of a data disc with the Death Star Plans over to Leia's ship rather than beaming it to her ship.

•  

TonyaW

Quote from: Artesia on May 16, 2017, 05:34:15 PM
Spoilers included:

Didn't you know going in?  The premise of the  movie is from the line in New Hope

"A lot of people died to get these plans"

Probably don't have the quote exactly right.  I liked it.  Not a Star Wars nut but one of my kids is and I think it's her favorite.

Sent from my SM-G930V using Tapatalk

•  

Artesia

Quote from: TonyaW on May 18, 2017, 07:22:47 AM
Didn't you know going in?  The premise of the  movie is from the line in New Hope

"A lot of people died to get these plans"

Probably don't have the quote exactly right.  I liked it.  Not a Star Wars nut but one of my kids is and I think it's her favorite.

I was working way to much, and missed pretty much everything except that it was coming out.  I didn't even see  the trailer for it until 2 days before seeing it.  I also tend to avoid spoilers like the plague.

•  

ainsley

Quote from: Artesia on May 18, 2017, 03:03:16 PM
I also tend to avoid spoilers like the plague.

I prefer to go into movies blind.  I avoid trailers at all costs.  I loved rogue one.  Going in without preconceived notions or expectations help me watch the movie and appreciate it.  YMMV, but that is how I roll.  Drives my family crazy...they love trailers and critics' reviews.
Some people say I'm apathetic, but I don't care.

Wonder Twin Powers Activate!
Shape of A GIRL!
  •  

TonyaW

Quote from: ainsley on May 18, 2017, 03:09:40 PM
I prefer to go into movies blind.  I avoid trailers at all costs.  I loved rogue one.  Going in without preconceived notions or expectations help me watch the movie and appreciate it.  YMMV, but that is how I roll.  Drives my family crazy...they love trailers and critics' reviews.
Family sounds like my daughter.  I'm pretty sure she has gone to see movie "A" because a new trailer for movie "B" is attached to it.

•  

LilyMelody

Great film, added a lot to the franchise. One of the better parts of the new canon. Some of which, to be honest, is pretty lame.

Then again a LOT of the Expanded Universe was poor.
  •  

Lyric

I finally just got around to seeing this one, even though I've always been a big SW fan. I thought is was fine. As for the continuity thing, there are a million stories in the galaxy far, far way. This is just another one. As best as I can tell, Disney's plan for Star Wars is to release a new film every Christmas, alternating between the main story and side stories, such as Rogue One. I think it's a good idea.
"Your time is limited, so don't waste it living someone else's life." - Steve Jobs
  •  

Julia1996

I stopped watching it halfway through.  I thought it was totally boring.
Julia
Julia

Born 1998
Started hrt 2015
SRS done 5/21/2018
  •  

classicbeauty9922

Overall, I enjoyed Rogue One. I thought that it was kind of cool that it was a prequel to the original Star Wars. My only major complaint was that Forest Whitaker's acting seemed way over the top to me.
  •  

Kylo

Frankly I was bored.

I put this down to poorly written characters for the most part. They fall flat. Try and describe the heroine as a personality. She has none other than that she's motivated toward her father. The other characters also are so memorable I have difficulty describing any of their characters, aside from the blind warrior and his friend, and those two don't have much development either. When they all died at the end I felt nothing for most of them because we haven't been given any chance by the film-makers to invest in them by getting to know their characters properly.

As much as I like Star Wars space battles, without characters you like/care about they do not carry a movie.

For someone who is satisfied by just action/vistas I'm sure it is fine. But I have no interest in seeing it again. If this had been a videogame, where your sense of immersion is taken care of, it would have been wonderful. As it was I was not immersed.
"If the freedom of speech is taken away, then dumb and silent we may be led, like sheep to the slaughter."
  •