News:

Please be sure to review The Site terms of service, and rules to live by

Main Menu

Orchiectomy cost and concerns

Started by Tracey, June 01, 2017, 10:30:10 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Laurie

Quote from: Devlyn Marie on July 20, 2017, 01:03:04 PM
Had my initial consult today. Didn't talk money but I addressed my other questions and concerns. Dr Oates performs all his surgeries on Friday. I can return to work the following Tuesday. The surgery is performed under general anesthesia, and someone will be required to pick me up afterwards. I'm alone up here, so that's going to take some finagling.

He needs letters per WPATH standards, and I have an appointment with a Fenway Health therapist coming up next Tuesday, the 25th to get the first one. I assume she'll refer me to a Psychiatrist for the second one in short order (I'm neither questioning myself nor looking for therapy). Once he receives the letters, it's a couple weeks to get in the operating room.

He doesn't have an issue with orchiectomy before GRS for those looking at that route.

More updates on the 25th.  :)

Hugs, Devlyn

If I was anywhere near you I would brave the New England traffic again  to act as taxi.

Hugs,
  Laurie
April 13, 2019 switched to estradiol valerate
December 20, 2018    Referral sent to OHSU Dr Dugi  for vaginoplasty consult
December 10, 2018    Second Letter VA Psychiatric Practical nurse
November 15, 2018    First letter from VA therapist
May 11, 2018 I am Laurie Jeanette Wickwire
May   3, 2018 Submitted name change forms
Aug 26, 2017 another increase in estradiol
Jun  26, 2017 Last day in male attire That's full time I guess
May 20, 2017 doubled estradiol
May 18, 2017 started electrolysis
Dec   4, 2016 Started estradiol and spironolactone

•  

Devlyn

•  

Rachel

You may be able to stay overnight, for extra money, and be allowed to exit the hospital by yourself.
HRT  5-28-2013
FT   11-13-2015
FFS   9-16-2016 -Spiegel
GCS 11-15-2016 - McGinn
Hair Grafts 3-20-2017 - Cooley
Voice therapy start 3-2017 - Reene Blaker
Labiaplasty 5-15-2017 - McGinn
BA 7-12-2017 - McGinn
Hair grafts 9-25-2017 Dr.Cooley
Sataloff Cricothyroid subluxation and trachea shave12-11-2017
Dr. McGinn labiaplasty, hood repair, scar removal, graph repair and bottom of  vagina finished. urethra repositioned. 4-4-2018
Dr. Sataloff Glottoplasty 5-14-2018
Dr. McGinn vaginal in office procedure 10-22-2018
Dr. McGinn vaginal revision 2 4-3-2019 Bottom of vagina closed off, fat injected into the labia and urethra repositioned.
Dr. Thomas in 2020 FEMLAR
  •  

Devlyn

That's an idea if I can't line someone up. Thanks!

Hugs, Devlyn
  •  

DawnOday

Just don't hang them from your trailer hitch. >:-)
Dawn Oday

It just feels right   :icon_hug: :icon_hug: :icon_kiss: :icon_kiss: :icon_kiss:

If you have a a business or service that supports our community please submit for our Links Page.

First indication I was different- 1956 kindergarten
First crossdress - Asked mother to dress me in sisters costumes  Age 7
First revelation - 1982 to my present wife
First time telling the truth in therapy June 15, 2016
Start HRT Aug 2016
First public appearance 5/15/17

•  

Devlyn

They're going in a jar. With my tonsils, appendix, baby teeth, and a bezoar.  :laugh:

Hugs, Devlyn
  •  

Dee Marshall

No promises, but when you set the date let me know. Where in Massachusetts are you? I'm in Kingston, NY.
April 22, 2015, the day of my first face to face pass in gender neutral clothes and no makeup. It may be months to the next one, but I'm good with that!

Being transgender is just a phase. It hardly ever starts before conception and always ends promptly at death.

They say the light at the end of the tunnel is an oncoming train. I say, climb aboard!
  •  

Devlyn

That's sweet, Dee!  :-* I'm in Weymouth.

I have one local option, I'm looking into that tomorrow.

Hugs, Devlyn
  •  

BeverlyAnn

Devlyn, I can't help with what it costs since my urologist had been treating me for problems and wrote my orchi up as medically necessary and my share was like $147.  For me, recovery was a piece of cake.  I had no pain and Miss Dee had to make me take it easy.  You'll need ice packs for a couple of days at least and we found the best thing to use was small bags of frozen green peas.  Seriously!  The biggest problem for me was drainage and wearing a pad 24/7 for a couple of weeks.  At least I got to turn the tables on Dee.  "Honey, I'm about out of pads.  Would you pick me up some while you are out?"  LOL 
Always forgive your enemies; nothing annoys them so much. - Oscar Wilde

•  

Devlyn

It wasn't the best week for me. Monday I went to work then got so violently ill they dragged me to the emergency room. They pumped me full of anti-nausea medications and then filled me with about five bags of iv fluids. Oh, and kept sticking me for blood, then a second iv. Then two trips through a scanner with the medicine that makes it feel like you're peeing yourself. :o

By Tuesday morning I was telling anyone who came in the room that I had to get out of there so I wouldn't miss my 4:00 PM appointment in Boston. Doctor made rounds and said if I ate breakfast and held it down I could go. I ate everything, even the orange slice garnish on the plate. They adjusted my potassium and told me to wait another day before restarting my spiro, and sent me on my way at 11:30. By Wednesday morning my face was all bloated up after 48 hours off the diuretic. Popped a spiro and cup of coffee and I was losing weight all...day..long.  :laugh:

But that's not what this post is about. Tuesday afternoon I spent an hour with the therapist and talked about some of my plans and concerns, and she brought up issues that she felt I should consider. Near the end she said:

"You have about ten minutes and I want to explain the next step. I'll formalize my notes on you, and in about a week send you a draft of your letter to check for accuracy. If you OK it, I'll put it on letterhead and send it to you.

I want you to be aware that we understand genderfluid. We get that you're two-spirit, but insurance companies don't. Your letter will stress your need for continuing feminization and putting the man that was your past behind you. I don't want you to think that I wasn't listening to you. We use people like you to push the system so someday everyone can get the treatment they need. But we don't push so hard that you don't get what you need"

So yay, I got my first letter out of the way with one visit, but I'm left with a funny taste in my mouth that my truth needs to be modified to be acceptable. Oh well. Now eagerly waiting for a letter and notification of who I see next.  :)

Hugs, Devlyn

•  

Devlyn

Quote from: Dee Marshall on July 20, 2017, 08:22:19 PM
No promises, but when you set the date let me know. Where in Massachusetts are you? I'm in Kingston, NY.

I have lined up a local ride, a dependable guy. He doesn't support my decision to get this surgery but he absolutely supports me so he's going to be there for me.  :) 

Hugs, Devlyn
  •  

Dee Marshall

Quote from: Devlyn Marie on July 27, 2017, 07:49:37 PM
I have lined up a local ride, a dependable guy. He doesn't support my decision to get this surgery but he absolutely supports me so he's going to be there for me.  :) 

Hugs, Devlyn
I'm glad! Although it would have been an adventure!

:

April 22, 2015, the day of my first face to face pass in gender neutral clothes and no makeup. It may be months to the next one, but I'm good with that!

Being transgender is just a phase. It hardly ever starts before conception and always ends promptly at death.

They say the light at the end of the tunnel is an oncoming train. I say, climb aboard!

Think outside the voice box!

•  

Devlyn

We call an adventure a Laurie now.
If you do it in a truck, it's a Lorry Laurie.
If something fabulous happens, it's a Lorry Glory Laurie.
If someone gets hurt performing the fabulous it's a Sorry Lorry Glory Laurie.

<running away>
  •  

josie76

QuoteSo yay, I got my first letter out of the way with one visit, but I'm left with a funny taste in my mouth that my truth needs to be modified to be acceptable. Oh well. Now eagerly waiting for a letter and notification of who I see next.  :)

Devlyn, I think all of our truths have to get bent some just to get through the system.

Congrats on getting your orchi letter! ;)

Btw, love the tee shirt in you avatar pic.
04/26/2018 bi-lateral orchiectomy

A lifetime of depression and repressed emotions is nothing more than existence. I for one want to live now not just exist!

•  

Devlyn

Thanks, Josie! It's still tough knowing that if you were truthful the system would turn you down.  :-\

Hugs, Devlyn
  •  

Devlyn

Also, I just remembered that the therapist warned me the old GID language would still be on the letter, and not to bristle at being diagnosed with a disorder, because it was how the system works.

Hugs, Devlyn
  •  

Laurie

Quote from: Devlyn Marie on July 27, 2017, 07:57:05 PM
We call an adventure a Laurie now.
If you do it in a truck, it's a Lorry Laurie.
If something fabulous happens, it's a Lorry Glory Laurie.
If someone gets hurt performing the fabulous it's a Sorry Lorry Glory Laurie.

<running away>

OMG You Devyl!

I see I am going to have to keep my eye on you a little closer Dev.

1. Sorry you were sick.
2. Glad you made your appointment.
3. Very happy you got your letter.
4. Glad you were able to find  transportation.
5. I got a good laugh from your Laurie story in a lorry for the glory, omg I'm sorry.

Hugs,
Giggling,
  Laurie
April 13, 2019 switched to estradiol valerate
December 20, 2018    Referral sent to OHSU Dr Dugi  for vaginoplasty consult
December 10, 2018    Second Letter VA Psychiatric Practical nurse
November 15, 2018    First letter from VA therapist
May 11, 2018 I am Laurie Jeanette Wickwire
May   3, 2018 Submitted name change forms
Aug 26, 2017 another increase in estradiol
Jun  26, 2017 Last day in male attire That's full time I guess
May 20, 2017 doubled estradiol
May 18, 2017 started electrolysis
Dec   4, 2016 Started estradiol and spironolactone

•  

josie76

Quote from: Devlyn Marie on July 28, 2017, 01:42:21 PM
Also, I just remembered that the therapist warned me the old GID language would still be on the letter, and not to bristle at being diagnosed with a disorder, because it was how the system works.

Hugs, Devlyn

That's not right. The current medical diagnosis is " gender disphoria adult".
04/26/2018 bi-lateral orchiectomy

A lifetime of depression and repressed emotions is nothing more than existence. I for one want to live now not just exist!

•  

Devlyn

I think she said it would show up that way in the IDC coding?

Anyhoo, more progress! I got an email this afternoon telling me who to contact for my second letter.  :)

Hugs, Devlyn
  •  

Dee Marshall

Quote from: Devlyn Marie on July 28, 2017, 06:03:50 PM
I think she said it would show up that way in the IDC coding?

Anyhoo, more progress! I got an email this afternoon telling me who to contact for my second letter.  :)

Hugs, Devlyn
IDC coding does still say GID. Europe is behind the times in some things.

:

Think outside the voice box!

•