Susan's Place Logo

News:

Please be sure to review The Site terms of service, and rules to live by

Main Menu

Love and fear?

Started by Jennifer RachaelAnn, June 01, 2017, 09:46:58 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Jennifer RachaelAnn

I know everyone has their own views of the world, and no 2 people view it identically. But I have to ask. When it comes to your god(dess) do love and fear go hand in hand? You believe in something greater than yourself, but then what? Personally I serve and worship Aphrodite. I know She (as well as the other Gods and Goddesses) can be spiteful and malicious when they want. As such, while I love Her, I also fear Her. I have seen what She can and will do if you piss Her off. I have personally suffered Her wrath, and never want to again. So that's where the fear part comes in. Do you think it's possible to both love and fear something? Or am I just flat out insane?
"There are many who would take my time. I shun them.
There are some who share my time. I am entertained by them.
There are precious few who contribute to my time. I cherish them."

-Anton Szandor LaVey

•  

Kylo

Plenty of religions go for the concept of "awe". Fear mixed with love, or wonder. I don't go in much for the fear aspect. I don't see the point of it. But lots of people out there do both love and fear their deities.

If I had any such personal relationship with any deity, I wouldn't be content to be lorded over through threat. See, that's my problem with gods in general. They gave me a brain, apparently, and I'm going to use it. If that means being too curious, too ambitious, too insolent, that's their lookout.
"If the freedom of speech is taken away, then dumb and silent we may be led, like sheep to the slaughter."
  •