Susan's Place Logo

News:

Visit our Discord server  and Wiki

Main Menu

GCS with McGinn (After so many years waiting)

Started by HappyMoni, June 08, 2017, 09:42:48 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

HappyMoni

Don't you start trying to make me cry you! Thanks for those very kind words. I start thinking about it on my way to work each morning and find myself stretching out my muscles at the same place each day from being so excited. Is that silly?
Moni
If I ever offend you, let me know. It's not what I am about.
"Never let the dark kill your light!"  (SailorMars)

HRT June 11, 2015. (new birthday) - FFS in late June 2016. (Dr. _____=Ugh!) - Full time June 18, 2016 (Yeah! finally) - GCS June 27, 2017. (McGinn=Yeah!) - Under Eye repair from FFS 8/17/17 - Nose surgery-November 20, 2017 (Dr. Papel=Yeah) - Hair Transplant on June 21, 2018 (Dr. Cooley-yeah) - Breast Augmentation on July 10, 2018 (Dr. Basner in Baltimore) - Removed bad scarring from FFS surgery near ears and hairline in August, 2018 (Dr. Papel) -Sept. 2018, starting a skin regiment on face with Retin A  April 2019 -repairing neck scar from FFS

]
  •  

jentay1367

Quote from: HappyMoni on June 14, 2017, 10:20:44 PM
Don't you start trying to make me cry you! Thanks for those very kind words. I start thinking about it on my way to work each morning and find myself stretching out my muscles at the same place each day from being so excited. Is that silly?
Moni

Not silly, Hon.  This is your time...revel in it and own it. I sure as hell would.
  •  

Rachel

Hi Monica, Make sure to get a case of Surgi Lube off of Amazon and a case of paper towels. Papillion specifies Surgi Lube. You will be dilating 5 times a day and using #1 to start, 30 minutes. As you progress from 1 to 2 then 3 and lastly 4 you will use all 4 dilators for 7 or 8 minutes each. If you are using 3 dilators then 10 minutes per dilator. Two dilators is 15 minutes each. Dilator time starts when you are at your mark and pushing (ask Dr. McGinn to demonstrate how hard to push). At my 3 month visit I was told I could go to 3 dilations daily. At my 6th month visit I was told I can dilate 1/day and just use #1 for 5 minutes and #4 for 25 minutes.

Make sure you get a mirror. I chose one that had no magnification on one side and 3 times magnification on the other side. I use a surefire flashlight and mirror when I do inspection and cleanup. 

As the schedule and healing changed sometimes dilations were painful. If that happens make sure to use enough lube, insert with gradual increased pressure and slightly rotate the dilator back and forth.

When I restarted exercise and steps and training and walking I had some swelling and dilation brought tears. Remember to be kind to yourself and take a deep breath, you will get through it. Sometimes dilation took an hour. Ease back into the swing of things and d not get tempted to do too much.

Bring pads, ones that will soak up a lot of moisture.

When you get the packing out it feels wonderful. When they take the catheter out it hurts a little. Drains ( I had 4) removal had a slight burn when removed.

The first 3 months 5 dilations take over 2.5 hours a day plus clean up and pre-cleaning. When you go to 3 times a day is such a relief. Then 1/d is fantastic.

I make a protein bar. Peanut butter ( 10 tablespoons), spirolina (2 very small scoops), collagen (6 scoops), Milo x 2 scoops, protein powder 2 scoops, cacao 2 scoops and hemp 2 scoops.  I try to eat salad 3 times a day, 2 cups with cruciferous vegies. I use some form of stool softener and I drink a lot of water. Post op you need nutrition so eat. You may gain a few pounds but eat. Make sure you get D3 and a multi and fish oil.

I had to do dry packing to remove necro tissue ( I had to use cheeses cloth consistency bandages to put in my vagina. Also I had to use hydrocortisone (still do but by prescription). I have some scarring and the hydrocortisone helps stretch the scarring and softens it. Papillion prescribed it. If need be they will prescribe E for my vagina. My graph was small and I had a rough 2 weeks post op. You will fair much better, I am sure.
HRT  5-28-2013
FT   11-13-2015
FFS   9-16-2016 -Spiegel
GCS 11-15-2016 - McGinn
Hair Grafts 3-20-2017 - Cooley
Voice therapy start 3-2017 - Reene Blaker
Labiaplasty 5-15-2017 - McGinn
BA 7-12-2017 - McGinn
Hair grafts 9-25-2017 Dr.Cooley
Sataloff Cricothyroid subluxation and trachea shave12-11-2017
Dr. McGinn labiaplasty, hood repair, scar removal, graph repair and bottom of  vagina finished. urethra repositioned. 4-4-2018
Dr. Sataloff Glottoplasty 5-14-2018
Dr. McGinn vaginal in office procedure 10-22-2018
Dr. McGinn vaginal revision 2 4-3-2019 Bottom of vagina closed off, fat injected into the labia and urethra repositioned.
Dr. Thomas in 2020 FEMLAR
  •  

Maybebaby56

Quote from: Rachel Lynn on June 16, 2017, 07:59:24 PM
The first 3 months 5 dilations take over 2.5 hours a day plus clean up and pre-cleaning.

This is what freaks me out.  How did you work with that dilation schedule?  I have to be back at work after six weeks, and I was lucky to negotiate that.  I have four weeks of sick leave, and arranged two weeks of telework.  Were you able to drive six weeks post-op?  I have a 30-35 minute commute each way. That worries me, too.

~Terri
"How we spend our days is, of course, how we spend our lives" - Annie Dillard
  •  

Rachel

I wanted to go back to work at week three end after  Dr. McGinn released me and gave me a return to work authorization. Work was dragging their feet ( my boss told me not to come back and that HR wanted to find me a place to dilate) so I just went back and gave employee health my authorization. That was at 3 weeks 6 days. Driving was ok. I drive 45 minutes to and 1.5 hours back from work. I work 10 hours a day. If I did not do this I would have been out at least 2 more weeks. I was clear for 8 weeks without a letter for additional time.

I dilated in my office 2 times a day. Once when I woke up, once when I came home from work and once at bed time.

This may sound odd but I look back with fond memory, I cherish it. Not the pain or other issues but there were so many things I learned about myself and others and how I am perceived and supported or lack their of (even that is a learning experience).
HRT  5-28-2013
FT   11-13-2015
FFS   9-16-2016 -Spiegel
GCS 11-15-2016 - McGinn
BA 7-12-2017 - McGinn
Dr. McGinn labiaplasty, hood repair, scar removal, graph repair and bottom of  vagina finished. urethra repositioned. 4-4-2018
Dr. McGinn vaginal revision 2 4-3-2019 Bottom of vagina closed off, fat injected into the labia and urethra repositioned.
  •  

HappyMoni

Quote from: Rachel Lynn on June 16, 2017, 07:59:24 PM
Hi Monica, Make sure to get a case of Surgi Lube off of Amazon and a case of paper towels. Papillion specifies Surgi Lube. You will be dilating 5 times a day and using #1 to start, 30 minutes. As you progress from 1 to 2 then 3 and lastly 4 you will use all 4 dilators for 7 or 8 minutes each. If you are using 3 dilators then 10 minutes per dilator. Two dilators is 15 minutes each. Dilator time starts when you are at your mark and pushing (ask Dr. McGinn to demonstrate how hard to push). At my 3 month visit I was told I could go to 3 dilations daily. At my 6th month visit I was told I can dilate 1/day and just use #1 for 5 minutes and #4 for 25 minutes.

Make sure you get a mirror. I chose one that had no magnification on one side and 3 times magnification on the other side. I use a surefire flashlight and mirror when I do inspection and cleanup. 

As the schedule and healing changed sometimes dilations were painful. If that happens make sure to use enough lube, insert with gradual increased pressure and slightly rotate the dilator back and forth.

When I restarted exercise and steps and training and walking I had some swelling and dilation brought tears. Remember to be kind to yourself and take a deep breath, you will get through it. Sometimes dilation took an hour. Ease back into the swing of things and d not get tempted to do too much.

Bring pads, ones that will soak up a lot of moisture.

When you get the packing out it feels wonderful. When they take the catheter out it hurts a little. Drains ( I had 4) removal had a slight burn when removed.

The first 3 months 5 dilations take over 2.5 hours a day plus clean up and pre-cleaning. When you go to 3 times a day is such a relief. Then 1/d is fantastic.

I make a protein bar. Peanut butter ( 10 tablespoons), spirolina (2 very small scoops), collagen (6 scoops), Milo x 2 scoops, protein powder 2 scoops, cacao 2 scoops and hemp 2 scoops.  I try to eat salad 3 times a day, 2 cups with cruciferous vegies. I use some form of stool softener and I drink a lot of water. Post op you need nutrition so eat. You may gain a few pounds but eat. Make sure you get D3 and a multi and fish oil.

I had to do dry packing to remove necro tissue ( I had to use cheeses cloth consistency bandages to put in my vagina. Also I had to use hydrocortisone (still do but by prescription). I have some scarring and the hydrocortisone helps stretch the scarring and softens it. Papillion prescribed it. If need be they will prescribe E for my vagina. My graph was small and I had a rough 2 weeks post op. You will fair much better, I am sure.

Rachel,
   Thank you for this invaluable information. I was going to ask about ideas for protein intake. I am used to eating a lot of chicken for protein but that may not be practical at this time. I love raw veggies and fruit, but can't stand the veggies cooked. Carbs I get, are discouraged. All ideas welcome. I don't know that almonds are advisable with bathroom issues a factor.
   I had a pleasant surprise the last day at work. One of the bosses offered a room with a bathroom attached. I would have the only key and I could set up a cot or lounge chair for dilation. Not sure which would be better. It saves me from going out to my car and doing it with the AC running.
   I investigated getting some FFS problems fixed today. I had a consult with a local surgeon, and I think I will probably get my eye repaired. Can't believe I am thinking of doing more than one surgery before the end of the year. I may have another repair in mind as well. It will depend on how well I bounce back from GCS. It would  probably be   at the end of the year though. It would be great to not have to look at this mess on my face anymore.
   I will order the lube tonight. They told me any water based mineral oil when I emailed them, but I will go with your suggestion. Thanks again. This 'before' time is flying by and I have so much to do.
Moni

HRT June 11, 2015. (new birthday) - FFS in late June 2016. (Dr. _____=Ugh!) - Full time June 18, 2016 (Yeah! finally) - GCS June 27, 2017. (McGinn=Yeah!) - Under Eye repair from FFS 8/17/17 - Nose surgery-November 20, 2017 (Dr. Papel=Yeah) - Hair Transplant on June 21, 2018 (Dr. Cooley-yeah) - Breast Augmentation on July 10, 2018 (Dr. Basner in Baltimore) - Removed bad scarring from FFS surgery near ears and hairline in August, 2018 (Dr. Papel) -Sept. 2018, starting a skin regiment on face with Retin A  April 2019 -repairing neck scar from FFS

]
  •  

Dena

When you dilate, your rear and legs need to be flat. Bending at the waist gives you the reach to get your hand around the far end of the dilator. If you use  a cot, you will need to place it against a wall and stack some pillows against the wall to support your back. A lounge chair might work if you can get everything flat enough.
Rebirth Date 1982 - PMs are welcome - Use [email]dena@susans.org[/email] or Discord if your unable to PM - Skype is available - My Transition
If you are helped by this site, consider leaving a tip in the jar at the bottom of the page or become a subscriber
  •  

HappyMoni

Did you get the pack of 12 Rachel? Or is a case bigger than that. I expect it goes quickly.

Thanks Dena!
Moni

]
  •  

HappyMoni

Just a shot in the dark here but it is worth a try. Anyone having surgery with Dr. McGinn the end of June and into July? Stayin at the Gaia House? Anyone?
Moni

]
  •  

SadieBlake

On lube Moni, it's YMMV. I started with KY which while not my first choice was available at CVS and is cheap.

I bought one 4oz tube to fly with and had my gf pickup 2 more when she arrived and I only just finished those 3 tubes. That's for 3 dilations per day using sizes 1 and 2 nearly every time (my very first dilation, of course was at Wittenberg's office and they used surgilube).

For position the first time they had me in a gyno exam chair my feet were in the normal stirrups, thighs flexed about 45 degrees wrt torso. For the first few times I emulated that in bed, using a pillow to rest my feet at the desired angle.

Because some of the skin at the full depth of the PI inversion wasn't adhered to the vaginal walls, she had me dilate the first week for 30 minutes at a time instead of their usual choice of 10'. I found it hard to keep legs kicked up for that long, I took to a close to flat/supine position with my hips turned slightly and legs slightly akimbo. While I had my gf there, I had her help put a pillow under my knees. I found and still find completely flat / supine uncomfortable, due to the fairly strong bend in the dilator tip. Of course YMMV, use the position that you find works best. If I had a private room at work I know I'd outfit it with a cot but the right reclining chair could work also.

About amount of lube, whatever lube I use (now switched to surgilube) I don't use a lot. I based my guess of how much on lots of experience with sexual penetration vaginal & anal and with penis, toys and hand/fisting. Of course I'm familiar with the idea that "too much lube is not quite enough".

So my approach with this has been "the right amount, not too much" my reason was that I didn't want to be cleaning excess lube or introducing more of the stuff than was necessary because I didn't imagine it would be helping with healing, nor would excessive rinsing to remove excess lube. Ok so call me a minimalist, and I'm also quite cheap, dinna faish spending more pennies on KY than necessary.

So what was enough for me was to lay down a line of lube maybe 3/4" long at the diameter that it came out of the tube at most and use a finger to spread that evenly over the full length of the dilator, somewhat less on the second one as I knew the channel was already lubed. My experience was that lube was really only needed for getting past the labia and the vaginal canal itself was plenty well lubricated by discharge/exudate. That's what I did for my very first dilation, supervised by the doc herself.

For the first couple of weeks I used a nitrile glove on the hand spreading the lube (happily I get those free from work). Once I got back home, thw vaginal canal was clearly mostly healed and I switched to simply washing my hands first.
🌈👭 lesbian, troublemaker ;-) 🌈🏳️‍🌈
  •  

HappyMoni

Thanks Sadie, I expect to be dilating the rest of my life, so I doubt anything I get will be put to use. Can't imagine it going bad. I just put chocks on my list, thanks for the mention. I am off for one last electrolysis session. My face and an area on my butt. I am hoping she can tell the difference.
Moni
Still not stressing about the surgery. Maybe I am as nutty as Laurie says I am. Does the phrase "Lamb being led to slaughter " seem appropriate here? Well my hairless dog will be dying, no doubt. lol

]
  •  

SadieBlake

Ahh good point and I do tend to forget that not everyone is quite as skint as I  :-).

(Nerd alert)
And the tubes I just received have an expiration of the end of 2019, at the rate I use it a 12 tube box would cover my first 9 months of dilations :-).
  •  

Rachel

Yes, a box of 12. After the box of 12 of Surgilube I switched to McKesson which is cheaper. I wanted to use what was in the Papillion pamphlet at least during the initial healing phase.  I always buy a case at a time to reduce cost and have it on hand (LOL). I have Amazon Prime and use it :)

If you feel well in New Hope I can recommend a bunch of places to eat and a pool ( you can lounge and eat while your SO can drink and swim) that are all very LGBT friendly and LGBT owned. You will be on bed rest and really should just rest and relax. However, your SO may enjoy getting out.

I have a BA 7/17/17 with Dr. McGinn. When I saw her for my 6th month checkup I said I had FFS with Dr. Spiegel September 2016 and I most likely will be seeing Dr. Spiegel this September for a small revision on my jaws and perhaps VFS. There is some jowl fat or skin I do not like (it may be fat and I am losing weight so I will see) that is not tight. She asked if I had bone removed and I said yes. She then said that is the problem with removing bone. I said I had fat graphs and that they failed. She said that is the problem with fat graphs and why I do not recommend them. She said my forehead lowering was done well and she could not see the scar. She liked my lip lift and loved the blethoplasty. I told her I had hair graphs in March 17 with Cooley and looked and said she loves Cooley's work. She then said my eyes could have been a little more open. So I may be having Spiegel open my eyes and tighten jaw skin and do VFS.  Dr. McGinn said I need to live my life and stop with the surgeries. Easy for someone that is beautiful to say.
HRT  5-28-2013
FT   11-13-2015
FFS   9-16-2016 -Spiegel
GCS 11-15-2016 - McGinn
BA 7-12-2017 - McGinn
  •  

HappyMoni

Oh, I just looked at my ticker and it reminded me, one year RLE is today. I can't think of any other things to fulfill for surgery to happen. Well, except pack up all my stuff (careful not to say 'my junk') and get my butt there. Oh and the two days only liquids and the bowel prep...agh, I should have quit while I was ahead. Hehe.
   I am not nervous at this point, but time does seem to have sped up. So much to get done. It will get real when my brother arrives on Friday. One day to party, then the crash diet descends upon me.
Moni
Better watch out Clyde, your days are getting short now!

]
  •  

SadieBlake

We're super excited for you! I forgot, how far is your drive to McGinn's hospital?
  •  

HappyMoni

Hi Sadie,
   About 3 hours depending on how many of them cars are in my way.
Moni

]
  •  

Rachel

Bowl prep, yuck. I got 2 bottles of magnesium citrate and ex-lax just incase. Make sure to drink enough water and definitely "eat" the broth.

When I was waiting in pre-op. Dr. McGinn and Brianna were there signing papers. The Nurse Anesthetist came over and said let me give you something to make you comfortable. I woke up and the operation was over. I thought they would walk over and ask, are you sure you want GCS. That never happened and I had some witty remark prepared. Oh-well, I will save it for next time :) .
HRT  5-28-2013
FT   11-13-2015
FFS   9-16-2016 -Spiegel
GCS 11-15-2016 - McGinn
BA 7-12-2017 - McGinn
  •  

SadieBlake

Although I'm usually quite chill, completely giving up control isn't an easy thing for me and when it comes to decisions, I favor a very short loop, decide and act; I'm not comfortable with extensive analysis and second guessing. That of course is the nature of GCS due to WPATH and because I'd had a quasi workable sex life pre-op, there were for sure doubts in my mind.

So in the moment of going under I was scared, second guessing and keenly aware of the imminence of giving up control.

Like you, nobody asked; unlike you, I was feeling some panic rising and that wasn't how I wanted to go under.

Then Heidi held my hand, I knew it was her because we'd shaken hands a few minutes prior and her fingers were ice cold. I went under feeling her reassurance, it meant a lot.
  •  

HappyMoni

I am starting to feel the presence of this, what should I say, disturbance in the force, headed my way. It is nice not to have any doubts that this is the right thing. I have said before, I never had a moments pride in having that thing down there. I guess I hope I have everything together. It is such a rush right now. I walked outside and spent a bit of time by myself tonight. I just know that after waiting so long, the emotions are going to be incredible.
Monica
I want to know that moment I go under. Maybe I should tell them that Rachel.

]
  •  

HappyMoni

Anyone know? When I have GCS done, will I still have to get some dumb doctor/therapist letter for BA? You would think getting that done would kind of scream, "Yeah, I have pretty much jumped through all the hoops I needed to to get that done."
Moni

]
  •