Susan's Place Logo

News:

According to Google Analytics 25,259,719 users made visits accounting for 140,758,117 Pageviews since December 2006

Main Menu

GCS with McGinn (After so many years waiting)

Started by HappyMoni, June 08, 2017, 09:42:48 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

LizK

I guess I am going to have an issue since I have an implant. That could be a real issue as they only get replaced every 6 months...I do not want to be taking oral Oestrogen for 6 months...

I will add that to my list of questions for next months appointment
Transition Begun 25 September 2015
HRT since 17 May 2016,
Fulltime from 8 March 2017,
GCS 4 December 2018
Voice Surgery 01 February 2019
  •  

Rachel

Dr. McGinn lets us stay on spiro until 2 days prior to the GCS procedure. Then post-op our T is really low to none. For FFS (Spiegel) I was off E and spiro 2 weeks before and 1 week after. He would have let me back on E and spiro sooner but he was concerned about the plane flight and pressure changes and not being able to move around in the cabin.

Monica, you state 2 more operations this year. One for eye, who are you thinking of going to?
HRT  5-28-2013
FT   11-13-2015
FFS   9-16-2016 -Spiegel
GCS 11-15-2016 - McGinn
Hair Grafts 3-20-2017 - Cooley
Voice therapy start 3-2017 - Reene Blaker
Labiaplasty 5-15-2017 - McGinn
BA 7-12-2017 - McGinn
Hair grafts 9-25-2017 Dr.Cooley
Sataloff Cricothyroid subluxation and trachea shave12-11-2017
Dr. McGinn labiaplasty, hood repair, scar removal, graph repair and bottom of  vagina finished. urethra repositioned. 4-4-2018
Dr. Sataloff Glottoplasty 5-14-2018
Dr. McGinn vaginal in office procedure 10-22-2018
Dr. McGinn vaginal revision 2 4-3-2019 Bottom of vagina closed off, fat injected into the labia and urethra repositioned.
Dr. Thomas in 2020 FEMLAR
  •  

HappyMoni

Quote from: Rachel Lynn on July 14, 2017, 08:26:14 PM
Dr. McGinn lets us stay on spiro until 2 days prior to the GCS procedure. Then post-op our T is really low to none. For FFS (Spiegel) I was off E and spiro 2 weeks before and 1 week after. He would have let me back on E and spiro sooner but he was concerned about the plane flight and pressure changes and not being able to move around in the cabin.

Monica, you state 2 more operations this year. One for eye, who are you thinking of going to?
I am going to a surgeon who was recommended to me by Dr. Bluebond-Langner (who is now at NYU). His  name is Dr. Papel and he specializes in facial surgery especially the nose. He is to remove this blob under my eye caused by the FFS. Later he will do the nose. The eye will be done with a local only. I am hopeful  this mess can be fixed.
My FFS surgeon had me off E and Spiro for 6 weeks. 4 weeks before n 2 after.
Moni
If I ever offend you, let me know. It's not what I am about.
"Never let the dark kill your light!"  (SailorMars)

HRT June 11, 2015. (new birthday) - FFS in late June 2016. (Dr. _____=Ugh!) - Full time June 18, 2016 (Yeah! finally) - GCS June 27, 2017. (McGinn=Yeah!) - Under Eye repair from FFS 8/17/17 - Nose surgery-November 20, 2017 (Dr. Papel=Yeah) - Hair Transplant on June 21, 2018 (Dr. Cooley-yeah) - Breast Augmentation on July 10, 2018 (Dr. Basner in Baltimore) - Removed bad scarring from FFS surgery near ears and hairline in August, 2018 (Dr. Papel) -Sept. 2018, starting a skin regiment on face with Retin A  April 2019 -repairing neck scar from FFS

]
  •  

SadieBlake

Indeed. Pit scent stayed annoyingly strong until about 7 weeks post op and if healing takes a turn for the worse my niffiness shifts towards stronger.
🌈👭 lesbian, troublemaker ;-) 🌈🏳️‍🌈
  •  

debrferguson

Hi Moni!
I'm so fortunate ti have gone through gcs the same time as you and to have recovered at Gaia House with you! You are an impressive and strong woman! The only thing that was odd at all was knowing why you were there and not even being able to imagine you as anyone other than beautiful Moni! I hope our paths cross again someday soon!

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
-deb.
  •  

Laurie

Quote from: HappyMoni on July 14, 2017, 10:32:26 PM
I am going to a surgeon who was recommended to me by Dr. Bluebond-Langner (who is now at NYU). His  name is Dr. Papel and he specializes in facial surgery especially the nose. He is to remove this blob under my eye caused by the FFS. Later he will do the nose. The eye will be done with a local only. I am hopeful  this mess can be fixed.
My FFS surgeon had me off E and Spiro for 6 weeks. 4 weeks before n 2 after.
Moni

What ??? Haven't you had enough trimming and tucking for a while?  let it heal woman, let it heal... Take a break for crying out loud.

Laurie
April 13, 2019 switched to estradiol valerate
December 20, 2018    Referral sent to OHSU Dr Dugi  for vaginoplasty consult
December 10, 2018    Second Letter VA Psychiatric Practical nurse
November 15, 2018    First letter from VA therapist
May 11, 2018 I am Laurie Jeanette Wickwire
May   3, 2018 Submitted name change forms
Aug 26, 2017 another increase in estradiol
Jun  26, 2017 Last day in male attire That's full time I guess
May 20, 2017 doubled estradiol
May 18, 2017 started electrolysis
Dec   4, 2016 Started estradiol and spironolactone

•  

Maybebaby56

Quote from: Gail20 on July 13, 2017, 07:29:05 PM
I've been on Estrogen for 17 years!  I'm somehow missing the rationale for us stopping Estrogen. My surgeon wants me to stop 4 weeks in advance. . . Tomorrow!!!

Cis Women cant stop their Estrogen just because they're having major surgery. My doctors, who have treated lots and lots of TG people for almost 20 years, say they don't see why I should have to stop Estrogen at all.  My therapist is concerned about the psychological impact . . . I don't get it. . . . :(

The policy is from outdated clinical data, having mostly to do with oral contraceptives and increased venous thromboembolism (VTE).  The chief culprit was ethinyl estradiol.  This is almost never prescribed anymore.  Still, it was found that any oral estrogen will raise the risk of VTE.

"Oral but not transdermal ERT is associated with risk of VTE in postmenopausal women. These data suggest that transdermal ERT might be safer than oral ERT with respect to thrombotic risk."

Differential association of oral and transdermal oestrogen replacement therapy with venous thromboembolism risk 
Lancet 2003 362: 428–32

If you are taking parenteral estradiol (injections or implant) or transdermal or sublingual estradiol, there is no good pharmacological reason to stop estradiol prior to surgery.  It is the effect of liver metabolism that is correlated with activated C-protein resistance, which only happens with oral hormone administration.

Quote from: Rachel Lynn on July 14, 2017, 08:26:14 PM
Dr. McGinn lets us stay on spiro until 2 days prior to the GCS procedure. Then post-op our T is really low to none.

This only makes matters worse.  If you have low levels of both T and E, you are basically menopausal. I already know what that feels like.

I plan to switch from sublingual estradiol about a week before and go back to transdermal. Sublingual absorption also avoids first-pass liver metabolism, but it's hard not to swallow some. I never got good absorption using patches, but it's better than nothing.

"Oral estrogens increase the risk of VTE especially during the first year of treatment and past users revert to a similar risk as women who have never used them. There is now growing evidence that VTE risk among HT users strongly depends on the route of administration. Indeed, transdermal estrogens, unlike oral estrogens, are not associated with an increased VTE risk and biological data support this difference between oral and transdermal estrogens."

Hormone therapy and risk of venous thromboembolism among postmenopausal women
Maturitas. 2015 Nov;82(3):304-7. doi: 10.1016/j.maturitas.2015.06.040.

~Terri
"How we spend our days is, of course, how we spend our lives" - Annie Dillard
  •  

Cindy

Quote from: ElizabethK on July 14, 2017, 06:26:29 PM
I guess I am going to have an issue since I have an implant. That could be a real issue as they only get replaced every 6 months...I do not want to be taking oral Oestrogen for 6 months...

I will add that to my list of questions for next months appointment

Sorry Liz but the surgeon you are thinking of waits until the implant is running down and monitors the E levels.

@Maybebaby56, I do not believe that the scientific literature covers transgender females, oestrogen and venous thrombosis risk. There are on occasion posts suggesting that the physiology of transgender females to cis females in regard to oestrogen effect is equivalent but as far as I am aware there has never been a comparative study.  For a surgeon to ignore risk for no reason beyond discomfort would be unethical. That said and just to complicate matters, when I had my larynx removed recently, which I think counts as major surgery, no one worried about my oestrogen levels. However all my documents listed my gender as female so when my pre surgery check asked what drugs I was on and I mentioned E that was just taken as normal post-menopausal female HRT management, noted and ignored.
I think the point that surgeons are concerned with E and surgery is risk management, if you can possibly reduce risk you do so.

Sorry for the thread hijack :-*
  •  

SadieBlake

Terri, I agree with you on the science and I pushed back on my surgeon but she wouldn't OK me even at my miniscule im dosage.

That creates the problem that they're going to ask (like a dozen times) what meds I'm taking and whether I've stopped E and I'd have to dissimulate or my doc would cancel. The thing is, I'm really unable to be anything but truthful on important stuff (small stuff too) even when the penalty for it is pretty high. Even the more so when I'm completely in love with my surgeon and she's doing such a big thing for me.

Not saying don't go with your plan, I thought about it myself, I just couldn't.
🌈👭 lesbian, troublemaker ;-) 🌈🏳️‍🌈
  •  

Maybebaby56

Quote from: Cindy on July 15, 2017, 08:04:15 AM
@Maybebaby56, I do not believe that the scientific literature covers transgender females, oestrogen and venous thrombosis risk. There are on occasion posts suggesting that the physiology of transgender females to cis females in regard to oestrogen effect is equivalent but as far as I am aware there has never been a comparative study.  For a surgeon to ignore risk for no reason beyond discomfort would be unethical. That said and just to complicate matters, when I had my larynx removed recently, which I think counts as major surgery, no one worried about my oestrogen levels. However all my documents listed my gender as female so when my pre surgery check asked what drugs I was on and I mentioned E that was just taken as normal post-menopausal female HRT management, noted and ignored.
I think the point that surgeons are concerned with E and surgery is risk management, if you can possibly reduce risk you do so.

Sorry for the thread hijack :-*

Cindy,

I certainly understand your point, especially the part about surgeons wanting to reduce risk (and liability).  But risk management is not risk elimination, it is about risk vs benefit (i.e. cost of risk mitigation), and that can be very squishy to quantify.

"Postoperative venous thrombosis does occur in transgender women  who undergo elective surgery, including gender affirming surgery [23], leading some authors to suggest holding hormonal therapy for 2 weeks prior to elective surgery and resuming once mobility is regained [18,36]. No prospective data exists to confirm the benefit of this recommendation, although similar recommendations have been suggested for women receiving postmenopausal hormone replacement therapy."

Thrombotic issues in transgender medicine: A review
Am. J. Hematol. 92:204–208, 2017

Quote from: SadieBlake on July 15, 2017, 08:16:11 AM
Terri, I agree with you on the science and I pushed back on my surgeon but she wouldn't OK me even at my miniscule im dosage.

That creates the problem that they're going to ask (like a dozen times) what meds I'm taking and whether I've stopped E and I'd have to dissimulate or my doc would cancel. The thing is, I'm really unable to be anything but truthful on important stuff (small stuff too) even when the penalty for it is pretty high. Even the more so when I'm completely in love with my surgeon and she's doing such a big thing for me.

Not saying don't go with your plan, I thought about it myself, I just couldn't.

Yup, it's a personal decision.  Life is risky.  The lowest risk option is not to have the surgery at all.  This is not acceptable to me.  I am willing to accept the risks. On having hot flashes, insomnia, and irritability on top of pre-op stress well that's a finer line. The risk is very low, but the consequences can be catastrophic.  I think stopping sublingual estradiol a week or two before surgery and switching to patches is an acceptable compromise, but that is my decision. 

Oral hormones increase the risk of VTE by 160%, from 0.7 per 1000 cases to 1.1 per thousand cases (in women over 50).  A lot of transgender women take oral hormones anyway, and would never consider giving them up, even given the data.

But I am derailing this thread.  I will stop now.  Sorry, Moni!

~Terri

Edit: Sadie PM'd me and made the excellent point that post-op nmenopausal symptoms will be mitigated by pain meds. The real problem for me will be dealing with pre-op stress. Fortunately Moni had a long chat with me, and talked me off the ledge. I think I my real problem is I'm stubborn. :D
  •  

Maybebaby56

Quote from: SadieBlake on July 15, 2017, 08:16:11 AM

Yes, every surgeon is different.  From Dr. Marci Bowers' site on pre-op instructions:

Reduce your estrogen dosage (to 2 mg Estradiol or 0.625mg Premarin) two weeks prior to surgery. At the same time, stop Progesterone, Anti-androgens, Aspirin, Ibuprofen, herbal supplements, blood thinners.

McGinn says stop estrogens completely but you can keep taking spiro.

I really need to shut up about this. I know what Moni would tell me, "Dr. McGinn is your surgeon, not Bowers.  Listen to what your doctor recommends."  Moni is a good girl.  I am a problem child.

~Terri
  •  

HappyMoni

Quote from: debrferguson on July 15, 2017, 01:02:44 AM
Hi Moni!
I'm so fortunate ti have gone through gcs the same time as you and to have recovered at Gaia House with you! You are an impressive and strong woman! The only thing that was odd at all was knowing why you were there and not even being able to imagine you as anyone other than beautiful Moni! I hope our paths cross again someday soon!

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Well hi Debbie! You are so sweet. We had a great group didn't we? It was a lot of fun when you gals came and partied in the basement when I couldn't climb up two flights to see you guys. I really enjoyed talking to you, getting to know you. I think of you as the strong, impressive one to be honest, and yes beautiful. Do me a favor though, don't ruin my imagine saying nice stuff. My reputation on here is built around me being a mean, rotten, old, wise a**. lol I hope we do continue to keep up with each other.
Moni

HRT June 11, 2015. (new birthday) - FFS in late June 2016. (Dr. _____=Ugh!) - Full time June 18, 2016 (Yeah! finally) - GCS June 27, 2017. (McGinn=Yeah!) - Under Eye repair from FFS 8/17/17 - Nose surgery-November 20, 2017 (Dr. Papel=Yeah) - Hair Transplant on June 21, 2018 (Dr. Cooley-yeah) - Breast Augmentation on July 10, 2018 (Dr. Basner in Baltimore) - Removed bad scarring from FFS surgery near ears and hairline in August, 2018 (Dr. Papel) -Sept. 2018, starting a skin regiment on face with Retin A  April 2019 -repairing neck scar from FFS

]
  •  

HappyMoni

Wow, mention hormones and surgery around this group and step back Jack. lol

Quote from: Maybebaby56 on July 15, 2017, 10:51:06 AM

I really need to shut up about this. I know what Moni would tell me, "Dr. McGinn is your surgeon, not Bowers.  Listen to what your doctor recommends."  Moni is a good girl.  I am a problem child.

~Terri

Terri, don't misquote me, Girl. What I told you was "Try your absolute best to prepare, then say 'F*ck It' to anything past that." Too much stressing will only make you feel worse. Don't make me come to your hospital bed and knock sense into you, 'problem child.' Hehe
Moni

]
  •  

Laurie

Quote from: HappyMoni on July 15, 2017, 11:52:37 AM
Don't make me come to your hospital bed and knock sense into you, 'problem child.' Hehe
Moni

What's this?  You ask me to drive all that way across country just to knock some common sense into your head and you don't want to got down the street to help Terri out?  WELL! I never!

Just see if I come to your aid again...

Hugs,
     Laurie

•  

HappyMoni

Quote from: Laurie on July 15, 2017, 12:11:02 PM
  What's this?  You ask me to drive all that way across country just to knock some common sense into your head and you don't want to got down the street to help Terri out?  WELL! I never!

Just see if I come to your aid again...

Hugs,
     Laurie

The gloves are off already Laurie? Let's get this straight I will be there if she wants me there. Only waiting for her okay.
How bout them apples? lol
Moni
And the concussion you gave me was a big help. Now who am I again?

]
  •  

Laurie

Quote from: HappyMoni on July 15, 2017, 12:25:57 PM
The gloves are off already Laurie? Let's get this straight I will be there if she wants me there. Only waiting for her okay.
How bout them apples? lol
Moni
And the concussion you gave me was a big help. Now who am I again?

Apples are good but visits in support of friends or whatevers are better.

As for who you are.. I'm not sure, you've changed. more female I think. You kinda sound like the moani I knew but in the emaciated shape I saw you in ... well it's hard to tell.

Loves ya anyway I guess.

Laurie

•  

HappyMoni

Laurie, is this any better? I took this at the motel during a brief moment of standing. It is one of my first Clydeless  pictures. Not sure what you mean by me changing. I'm still your worst nightmare.

I'm two days shy of three weeks post-op. The bruising is better. The open wound on the stitch line is working on closing. At the bottom of the vagina, it appears a little yellowish/ whiteish. Inside it looks black in places. She told me that further in it looked nice, no black. I assume the black will shed at some point. Can't see Clyde's little sister yet. It seems to be less swollen generally. Only real pain is from rub marks on legs from pads. Oh, the nerves make themselves known, that is for sure. I have never heard anyone speak of the stitch in the center of the abdomen. It makes the area above the mons look like it has a dimple. I asked about this. She said that it is a stitch to reduce tension at the vagina and that it would dissolve. Hot flashes? We have plenty in stock still, so don't wait til the last minute to buy yours. No shipping charge. I sometimes wonder how obvious the scars in the abdominal area will be. Don't know if massage will help them be less obvious at some point. Energy level is still on the low side and sleep is hard with getting up to pee a lot. They want u drinking plenty of water. I think that is it for now.
Moni

]
  •  

Maybebaby56

Wow, Moni.  You look great!  The best I have ever seen you.  Surgery seems to have changed more than your private parts!

With kindness,

Terri
  •  

Laurie

Quote from: HappyMoni on July 16, 2017, 03:01:19 PM
Laurie, is this any better? I took this at the motel during a brief moment of standing. It is one of my first Clydeless  pictures. Not sure what you mean by me changing. I'm still your worst nightmare.

I'm two days shy of three weeks post-op. The bruising is better. The open wound on the stitch line is working on closing. At the bottom of the vagina, it appears a little yellowish/ whiteish. Inside it looks black in places. She told me that further in it looked nice, no black. I assume the black will shed at some point. Can't see Clyde's little sister yet. It seems to be less swollen generally. Only real pain is from rub marks on legs from pads. Oh, the nerves make themselves known, that is for sure. I have never heard anyone speak of the stitch in the center of the abdomen. It makes the area above the mons look like it has a dimple. I asked about this. She said that it is a stitch to reduce tension at the vagina and that it would dissolve. Hot flashes? We have plenty in stock still, so don't wait til the last minute to buy yours. No shipping charge. I sometimes wonder how obvious the scars in the abdominal area will be. Don't know if massage will help them be less obvious at some point. Energy level is still on the low side and sleep is hard with getting up to pee a lot. They want u drinking plenty of water. I think that is it for now.
Moni

So many words...  see what I mean  you picture  shows you've changed even Terri agrees with me.  Yeah yeah yeah it looks good.. Happy with your moaning now?

Worst nightmare? Yawn  ::) ::) keep eating your wheaties girl. You'll need them.

As for the rest... Stop your whining and put your big girl panties on.

sheesh She's such a whoose   ::) ::)

Hugs,
    Laurie

•  

HappyMoni

Mom, Laurie's picking on me!

Thanks Terri, you are nice! (Tongue sticking out toward west coast)

Moni

]
  •