Susan's Place Logo

News:

Please be sure to review The Site terms of service, and rules to live by

Main Menu

GCS with McGinn (After so many years waiting)

Started by HappyMoni, June 08, 2017, 09:42:48 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

HappyMoni

Rachel if you go too big it starts highlighting the idea that you are smaller in the hips. That is what I think of as top heavy' not balanced and proportional. You know the old expression, "Too much of a good thing!" Remember, not every guy likes really big boobs. Just my thought!
If I ever offend you, let me know. It's not what I am about.
"Never let the dark kill your light!"  (SailorMars)

HRT June 11, 2015. (new birthday) - FFS in late June 2016. (Dr. _____=Ugh!) - Full time June 18, 2016 (Yeah! finally) - GCS June 27, 2017. (McGinn=Yeah!) - Under Eye repair from FFS 8/17/17 - Nose surgery-November 20, 2017 (Dr. Papel=Yeah) - Hair Transplant on June 21, 2018 (Dr. Cooley-yeah) - Breast Augmentation on July 10, 2018 (Dr. Basner in Baltimore) - Removed bad scarring from FFS surgery near ears and hairline in August, 2018 (Dr. Papel) -Sept. 2018, starting a skin regiment on face with Retin A  April 2019 -repairing neck scar from FFS

]
  •  

HappyMoni

In the interest of finishing the narrative up to my final post op visit, I will update the latest. I went to Dr. McGinn's office this past Monday. I'm sorry to miss your morning visit Rachel. Would have liked to have seen you. As it was, it just so happened that two of my friends who were at the Gaia recovery house at the same time as I was (June 2017) were there. We had a nice little, unplanned reunion. I hope we weren't too loud. It was a visit that I requested. I wanted to talk about two things. First, I have two areas of left over scrotal skin  (near the long scars) that are very sore and I had hoped could be minimized in some way. It is the second time discussing this, and this time I got a good explanation of why it was not possible. It would threaten the blood flow to the labia majora and would also cause my vulva to be gaped open all the time. I decided it was not worth it to risk the death of the labia. I would chalk it up to an unfortunate part of the wrong anatomy that I was born with. I can now be okay with this. Dr. McGinn and Krystal were very patient with explaining this. My second reason for the visit was the scar tissue formation around the opening of the vagina where I had had steroids shots before. It had helped some but not enough. The good news is I have 6 inch depth, have no hair in the vagina, and only have scar tissue at the opening not inside. I asked that she try steroids again, which they happily did. If this does not do the trick I may need a second procedure to remove the scar tissue. She said that would be done in the OR and while there, she would lower my urethra some. I was happy with this answer and will send pictures in 3 months. I would have to figure out timing on that to be far enough away from my other two surgeries.
   I am really starting to get excited  for my boob job in less than 2 months. I am still using progesterone creme on my breasts and they have grown some. The nipples seem a little bit bigger. Jury still out on how much they will grow.
   I decided to try a temporary covering of the grey hair. I got a wash out color and found I really like the color, a chestnut, darker brown. I also found a temporary fix for  my thinning hair. I bought a can of the hair fibers that you shake  on and to my amazement it seemed to work very well. I will do this til June and my transplant. I recommend trying it. I really like my hair with these two changes.

Moni

Off to the Ocean for a few days. Hugs. The avatar is in honor of my classmates from this past June.

HRT June 11, 2015. (new birthday) - FFS in late June 2016. (Dr. _____=Ugh!) - Full time June 18, 2016 (Yeah! finally) - GCS June 27, 2017. (McGinn=Yeah!) - Under Eye repair from FFS 8/17/17 - Nose surgery-November 20, 2017 (Dr. Papel=Yeah) - Hair Transplant on June 21, 2018 (Dr. Cooley-yeah) - Breast Augmentation on July 10, 2018 (Dr. Basner in Baltimore) - Removed bad scarring from FFS surgery near ears and hairline in August, 2018 (Dr. Papel) -Sept. 2018, starting a skin regiment on face with Retin A  April 2019 -repairing neck scar from FFS

]
  •  

Rachel

Hi Monica,

If you do go to get rework I found the Barix center to be very good. It is well maintained and very clean. There were ample staff in the pre and post op. I do not remember the OR. Also, it is very easy to get to from I95 and there are ample hotels there.

I had extensive rework on 4/5/2018 and go back to Papillion tomorrow for my 3rd visit and then back to work Tuesday.

I had the scar ring you describe removed. Also my urethra lowered (very nice now to pee) and scar tissue removed from the graft part that did not make it. She used adjacent skin to shape my vagina and make it look much better. Also she made the vagina between the canal and clitoris deeper.

She did very good work and I am glad I did it. I had my original surgery 11/15/2016 and this past vaginal work 4/5/18 so about a year and a half afterwards.

I guess I will be dilating tomorrow and I will see how much depth I lost. I was 5.25 dots orange.

Good luck with the upcoming BA. It made a huge difference in my confidence.

HRT  5-28-2013
FT   11-13-2015
FFS   9-16-2016 -Spiegel
GCS 11-15-2016 - McGinn
Hair Grafts 3-20-2017 - Cooley
Voice therapy start 3-2017 - Reene Blaker
Labiaplasty 5-15-2017 - McGinn
BA 7-12-2017 - McGinn
Hair grafts 9-25-2017 Dr.Cooley
Sataloff Cricothyroid subluxation and trachea shave12-11-2017
Dr. McGinn labiaplasty, hood repair, scar removal, graph repair and bottom of  vagina finished. urethra repositioned. 4-4-2018
Dr. Sataloff Glottoplasty 5-14-2018
Dr. McGinn vaginal in office procedure 10-22-2018
Dr. McGinn vaginal revision 2 4-3-2019 Bottom of vagina closed off, fat injected into the labia and urethra repositioned.
Dr. Thomas in 2020 FEMLAR
  •  

HappyMoni

Quote from: Rachel on April 15, 2018, 04:30:29 PM
Hi Monica,

If you do go to get rework I found the Barix center to be very good. It is well maintained and very clean. There were ample staff in the pre and post op. I do not remember the OR. Also, it is very easy to get to from I95 and there are ample hotels there.

I had extensive rework on 4/5/2018 and go back to Papillion tomorrow for my 3rd visit and then back to work Tuesday.

I had the scar ring you describe removed. Also my urethra lowered (very nice now to pee) and scar tissue removed from the graft part that did not make it. She used adjacent skin to shape my vagina and make it look much better. Also she made the vagina between the canal and clitoris deeper.

She did very good work and I am glad I did it. I had my original surgery 11/15/2016 and this past vaginal work 4/5/18 so about a year and a half afterwards.

I guess I will be dilating tomorrow and I will see how much depth I lost. I was 5.25 dots orange.

Good luck with the upcoming BA. It made a huge difference in my confidence.

Thank you Rachel, I hope you will update me on the healing, especially the scar ring part. The more I think about it, the more likely I am to consider the revision.  I am weary of surgery but I am all in with trying to get the best result possible. I had a milestone yesterday. I went to the beach and wore a bathing suit. It was something I have dreamed of all my life. It was am amazing thing to lay on a blanket sunbathing with 4 other women. I didn't want to cover up or leave. The water was pretty cold, but I didn't care. Can't wait  for boobs!
Moni

]
  •  

Rachel

Congratulations, you look fantastic!

I will let you know about how the reduction of scar tissue goes. I really needed to get the revisions as I had a lot to gain. My vagina looks nothing like it did and I am very please so far. I am hoping dilation is not so painful now. I had a lot of scar tissue and it was very painful to dilate.
HRT  5-28-2013
FT   11-13-2015
FFS   9-16-2016 -Spiegel
GCS 11-15-2016 - McGinn
BA 7-12-2017 - McGinn
Dr. McGinn labiaplasty, hood repair, scar removal, graph repair and bottom of  vagina finished. urethra repositioned. 4-4-2018
Dr. McGinn vaginal revision 2 4-3-2019 Bottom of vagina closed off, fat injected into the labia and urethra repositioned.
  •  

HappyMoni

Not sure if anyone interested in this at this point but feel a desire to finish the whole story.

I had my hair transplant 2 weeks ago. It was with Dr. Jerry Cooley in Charlotte, North Carolina. They have 2 people working on your head and 6 people dissecting the strip of removed hair. The doctor was in the room working 95 % of the time that I was conscious (I asked and they said that was accurate for him being there for the surgery as a whole). They give you Valium and have you pick out 5 movies to watch. I remember parts of 2 of them, the rest I slept. It was 2500 grafts and we started at 7 am and ended at 5 or 6 pm. It was highly professional, everyone was friendly and 'cool' with a trans woman. No problem.  I talked to the doctor who I highly recommend, and he said there are about four others in the country who he would recommend other than himself. A lot out there don't know what they are doing to varying degrees. The hardest part is spraying your head every hour awake (3 days) and every 2 hours at night(2 nights.) I don't know the final result for quite a few months but it all seems to have taken.

I am approaching 3 months since my last visit for the scarring around the open of my vagina. I will send pictures in today or tomorrow and see what they say. The big ridge of scarring is reduced but still there. I am thinking about  some revision. I am thinking about a more defined inner labia. For those who are thinking about this surgery or who have had it and are healing, it is hard to know what the final result will be. There is so much variety of vulvas out there, it is hard to say if what is in your mind's eye is realistic. No matter what doctor I have had, I am always wondering going into a visit, "Is what this doctor saying right for them or for me?" Now, I do feel like McGinn wants a good result, always have. I don't  know what her definition of that is yet. I will keep adding on this thread until I have a final report card on my surgery with Dr. McGinn. My only personal final grade so far is depth which is an A plus. 

Of my doctors so far, I have these results.

Dr. _____ in Philly for FFS.  Aweful, horrible. (Left out name due to rules, could hint in a PM if you want)

Dr. McGinn in Philly for GCS. Report not finished, but positive so far.

Dr. Ira Papel in Baltimore. Very good on eye repair from FFS disaster. Did nice job on deviated septum and repairing                        nose issues from FFS.

Dr. Jerry Cooley in Charlotte, N.C. for hair transplant. Final result not done but impressed so far.

Dr. Adam Basner in Baltimore area. Breast implants. Will see next Tuesday.

Oh, for electrologist in Maryland area. I love Electrology of Frederick. Tricia is awesome and so is Sally. So trans friendly.

Will report next time on response from McGinn and experience with breast surgery. Later!

]
  •  

steph2.0

Thank you for the update, Moni. I read every word and it's so helpful. Please keep us up to date!

Stephanie

Assigned male at birth 1958 * Began envying sister 1963 * Knew unquestioningly that I was female 1968 * Acted the male part for 50 years * Meltdown and first therapist session May 2017 * Began HRT 6/21/17 * Out to the world 10/13/17 * Name Change 12/7/2017 (Girl Harbor Day) * FFS With FacialTeam 12/4/2018 * Facelift and Lipo Body Sculpting at Ocean Clinic 6/13-14/2019 * GCS with Marci Bowers 9/25/2019
  •  

LizK

Hi Moni

So glad you hair implants went well. I know how time consuming having them done is but I have to admit that when I had mine done I really remember much about it. I was given a drink of very sweet cordial laced with ?? and that was it...good night Irene!! I can remember being really paranoid about losing implants and when I came back to see the Dr the following day he reassured me that they were already rock solid and not going anywhere.

It certainly can be hit and miss  with he Drs but from what you have said you sound like you have had a reasonable run with them apart from the obvious one (Philly)

As you know I am having "the surgery" in November and always read with interest anything post op women have to say.

Thanks for letting us know how you are getting on. Good luck with the hair implants...you won't need it and you will love them  ;) ;)

Take care

Liz
Transition Begun 25 September 2015
HRT since 17 May 2016,
Fulltime from 8 March 2017,
GCS 4 December 2018
Voice Surgery 01 February 2019
  •  

HappyMoni

Thanks Steph and Liz. What I forgot to mention is the donor site. They really only shaved the strip that was the donor material. It is amazing how little they disturbed. I have an estimated (by partner) 80 stitches back there and she finds it really hard to find the stitches. I will wait one more week to have a friend remove the stitches. I'll be on pain killers from the breast surgery then so why not. N. Carolina is too far to go to have them remove them. They are uncomfortable by the end of the day.
Look forward to hearing your stories! Luv ya!

]
  •  

Rachel

I am glad you survived the ATP spraying. That was the most difficult part of the hair transplant process. The spraying every 2-3 hours really got old the third day.

After I had my revision surgery with Dr. McGinn I had some granulation which they treated three times with silver nitrate and two of those times with steroids. There is just one minor spot I will have cut in September. It is a piece of tissue the healed but has a gap underneath. No big deal and just a very minor issue. I was told to dilate with the prescription hydroquarterzone cream with purple and orange each night. All I can say is there is no scar tissue, the vaginal canal looks and feels awesome and dilation is not painful. The doctor took some depth when she removed the scar tissue in the vaginal canal.

Dr. McGinn gave me a free butt lift when she removed and rearranged all the skin for the revision and creation of the bottom of the vagina. Very happy with that.

The PAc handed me a mirror last visit (funny how I stopped looking when it became second nature). My vagina, citreous, clitoral hood and vaginal canal look awesome. Also, she moved my urethra and deepened my vagina. I am very happy.

The only thing I could say that was part of the rework and there was no way getting around it is I have a posterior scar (heeling and flat and starting to blend in). It is about 5 inches long on either side of the bottom of the vagina. At first the scar bothered me but when it healed and flattened is became a non issue. My legs do not touch with Capri tights when hiking, so there is no rubbing. I do not know if there would be an issue if they did touch.

Good luck on you pending BA. I am so happy for you.

HRT  5-28-2013
FT   11-13-2015
FFS   9-16-2016 -Spiegel
GCS 11-15-2016 - McGinn
BA 7-12-2017 - McGinn
  •  

LizK

Spraying...what's this spraying you are talking about?

You cannot see either of the scar lines on my head from the removal of the strip of scalp at the donor site. My hairdresser was looking the last time I was in and I had to direct her to the area and even then it took her awhile to see it.

I am thinking about having another 1500 or so into my fringe area just to thicken it up a bit...haven't really decide yet. You have the fun part of the erupting scalp from ingrown hairs to go through next...did they warn you about that...hope so. You may be in for a surprise if they didn't.

Hope its all going well

Liz
HRT since 17 May 2016,
GCS 4 December 2018
  •  

HappyMoni

Quote from: ElizabethK on July 08, 2018, 07:30:41 PM
Spraying...what's this spraying you are talking about?

You cannot see either of the scar lines on my head from the removal of the strip of scalp at the donor site. My hairdresser was looking the last time I was in and I had to direct her to the area and even then it took her awhile to see it.

I am thinking about having another 1500 or so into my fringe area just to thicken it up a bit...haven't really decide yet. You have the fun part of the erupting scalp from ingrown hairs to go through next...did they warn you about that...hope so. You may be in for a surprise if they didn't.

Hope its all going well

Liz

No, Liz, that's the first have heard of this. Is this an issue that needs to be looked into if it happens? My hair hasn't even shed at this point. I guess the regrowth can grow in wrong causing the ingrown hairs? Is this considerable or minor? Right now I just want my stitches out. They are sore. The spraying is to provide a good environment until the grafts take root. You cover with saran wrap after you spray.

Hey Rachel, are you happy with the definition of the inner labia? I have been looking at a lot of labiaplasty  pictures as I am not really thrilled with the definition of mine at this point. I sent pictures in Friday. Maybe hear something tomorrow! I call for surgery time tomorrow. Hope it is early. I think I'm keyed up since I slept about 5 hours last night. Have been trying to do all my physical stuff before the 'boobs hit the fan.'

]
  •  

LizK

When the first round of implants breaks off to replace the hair I got a heap of ingrown hairs that kept producing sebum without being able to Breakthrough the scalp...they all seem to come around the same time and from memory and its about 3-4 weeks out that it started and lasted about 2 -3 weeks. I didn't mind too much it just meant another hair follicle was working. It feels like you have large bumps on your head and once the hair is through they pop like zits...usually once it is through it will not do it again. I was so surprised when it first happened that I thought I had an infection...with each of those lumps clearing up I began to get sensation back into my scalp.

I never used the spray nor was one suggested...hmmm might have to look into that and see why for the next round

Liz
HRT since 17 May 2016,
GCS 4 December 2018
  •  

HappyMoni

Liz,
   I looked it up online and what I found is that the ATP spray is used  to reduce hair loss from the shock of transplantation. When hairs are transplanted, the follicles lose their blood supply and thus oxygen supply. ATP is a possible energy supply to get the hairs to the point where energy supply can be found in the bed of the scalp. My understanding is the spray is expensive and hard to get in some places outside the US. There is not a lot of studies reporting on its effectiveness from what I saw.
   I used the spray very diligently, but a lot of people don't follow through because of time and inconvenience. I was driving the day after surgery and I had to stop and spray every hour. Made for a long trip.
   I had them cover my facial surgery scar in the center to hide it so I can wear my hair back or to the sides. I think I will now lose the bang look. Thanks for writing!
Moni

]
  •  

Anne Blake

Liz and Moni, I had a couple of rounds of hair transplants by Dr. Lam in the Dallas area, the last being ten weeks ago. He was a huge fan of using the ATP spray frequently for the first bucket load of days post surgery. I followed his instructions rigorously and had very little fall out or loss of grafted hair, and also very few ingrown hairs. For what it is worth.

Tia Anne
  •  

HappyMoni

Thanks Tia,
   Wow, that will take getting used to, not calling you Anne. (Now that you are soon to be a married womanagain!) Liz, I looked through my paperwork from Dr. Cooley and  it mentioned it. Must have skipped past that 'highlight.' It sounds like such fun, I can't wait.

I have  an appointment at Dr. McGinn's to try a next round of steroid shots in my vagina. It will also be a time to ask some questions about thoughts on revisions.

]
  •  

Rachel

Hi Monica,

I did not have any penile tissue to make the labia minora. So I do not have labia minora. I had a deeper vagina from the revision so I have nice labia majora. There was a lot of work done inside the vagina so there is tissue there that makes the appearance of some minora. I need to take some pics and send them to you.

Good luck on the BA.
HRT  5-28-2013
FT   11-13-2015
FFS   9-16-2016 -Spiegel
GCS 11-15-2016 - McGinn
BA 7-12-2017 - McGinn
  •