Susan's Place Logo

News:

Based on internal web log processing I show 3,417,511 Users made 5,324,115 Visits Accounting for 199,729,420 pageviews and 8.954.49 TB of data transfer for 2017, all on a little over $2,000 per month.

Help support this website by Donating or Subscribing! (Updated)

Main Menu

What types of Makeup should a beginner first learn?

Started by MrTravisL, June 13, 2017, 11:03:58 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Sarah_P

I'm just starting to learn about makeup myself, and I second the 'elf' brand. Picked up everything I needed to experiment with at Target for around $40 (including brushes, which were only $1-2 each). As I learn what I need & what I like, I'll look into higher quality brands. The corrector/concealer works really well for covering up facial hair (I have a shadow 5 minutes after shaving  >:( - I've started laser though!).
--Sarah P

There's a world out there, just waiting
If you only let go what's inside
Live every moment, give it your all, enjoy the ride
- Stan Bush, The Journey

•  

DawnOday

Quote from: Laurie on June 14, 2017, 09:56:19 AM
Thanks Liz,

I was wondering why they had those different weird (to me) colors for concealers.

Hugs,
   Laurie

NYK has cheap versions that work really well. $5.99 at Target
Dawn Oday

It just feels right   :icon_hug: :icon_hug: :icon_kiss: :icon_kiss: :icon_kiss:

If you have a a business or service that supports our community please submit for our Links Page.

First indication I was different- 1956 kindergarten
First crossdress - Asked mother to dress me in sisters costumes  Age 7
First revelation - 1982 to my present wife
First time telling the truth in therapy June 15, 2016
Start HRT Aug 2016
First public appearance 5/15/17

•  

LizK

Quote from: Sarah_P on June 14, 2017, 05:39:07 PM
I'm just starting to learn about makeup myself, and I second the 'elf' brand. Picked up everything I needed to experiment with at Target for around $40 (including brushes, which were only $1-2 each). As I learn what I need & what I like, I'll look into higher quality brands. The corrector/concealer works really well for covering up facial hair (I have a shadow 5 minutes after shaving  >:( - I've started laser though!).

Is the Elf brand like the cheapest stuff they have?...the utube thing I saw had the girl just raving about how good the products were, they were the very basic brand, especially when compared directly to some of the far more expensive brands
Transition Begun 25 September 2015
HRT since 17 May 2016,
Fulltime from 8 March 2017,
GCS 4 December 2018
Voice Surgery 01 February 2019
  •  

Julia1996

Quote from: ElizabethK on June 14, 2017, 07:01:58 PM
Is the Elf brand like the cheapest stuff they have?...the utube thing I saw had the girl just raving about how good the products were, they were the very basic brand, especially when compared directly to some of the far more expensive brands

No the very cheapest is called Artmatic.  I've seen it in dollar stores. All the products I saw were $1.00. I don't know how good it is cause I've never used it before.
Julia

Born 1998
Started hrt 2015
SRS done 5/21/2018
  •  

bubbles21

Quote from: MrTravisL on June 13, 2017, 11:03:58 AM
I am looking to start the learning process of wearing and applying makeup, unfortunately I am not sure where to begin...

I know the basics, which include lipstick/lipgloss, mascara, eyeliner, eyeshadow, blush, and foundation, but I know there is so much more and not sure if I should worry about anything else right now or just stick with the basics...

I am also wondering where would be the best place to get some alright quality makeup that is not extremely expensive as I am sure I will be wasting quite a bit why I learn. I currently still live with my parents, who know I am transgender but are still at the point where they don't see me as being it, or just don't want to... So wearing it around the house is not possible and would most likely be a "wear in private" kind of deal...

Also, has anyone had any experience with a Sephora Makeover, the one where if you spend $50 or more you get a free Custom Makeover? I have been real curious about that since I heard about it and just wonder what exactly it is like.

If anyone has any advice or tips, I would greatly appreciate it as this is completely new to me...

Hey,

I think having good skin will help a lot. If your skin is in order then that will make your foundation look 100x better and make the application better.

In terms of products i think it depends on your skin type as well; is it normal, combination or oily? They have different products that deal with these different types of skin. LA Girl orange concealer was something i used and it works wonders for covering blemishes or beard cover. One thing to remember is that there are dupes for nearly all of the high end products and a simple google or youtube search and there are compilations showing the cheaper products that work the same as the expensive ones.

Dupe website: http://www.temptalia.com/makeup-dupe-list/

I would also suggest checking out a setting powder, Coty airspun is a cheaper alternative to Laura Mercier setting powder. Mac have a spray that works on removing excess powder and gives your makeup a more fresh and dewy look.

I am sure you have heard this before but i think when it comes to makeup less is more, i've been guilty of using far too much foundation in the past.  ;D

Hope this helps a little bit  :)

hugs x

Blossoming with my Happy Pills :)
  •  

MrTravisL

Thank you all for the help!

I have been looking around at Walmart (actually... On Walmarts app), and I have found that elf is quite cheap with quite a few people recommending it! It looks like I can get everything I need to start practicing for less than $60 ($57.08 to be exact). This includes:

Tinted Moisturizer
Clear Face Primer
Foundation
Concealer
Bronzer
Blush (4 shades)
Eyeshadow (4 shades)
Liquid Black Eyeliner
Pencil Brown/Nude Eyeliner
Black Lengthening & Volumizing Mascara (gonna have to wait for brown unfortunately :( )
Moisturizing Lipstick
Clear Lip Primer and Plumper
Lip Gloss
& a 13 piece Brush Set

Everything is elf branded apart from the Lipgloss (elf doesn't carry much Lipgloss at my Walmart apparently...) which is NYC and the Brushes which is SHANY...

At $60 I will keep them in my cart on the app for a while, until I can afford them and then stop in and grab them, or maybe just order them through the app and do Walmarts Free Pickup option... I am leaning more towards that as it would be less embarrassing than shopping through the Makeup aisle picking up 14 items... But then again... I get to go shopping in the Makeup aisle picking up 14 items, something I have never done before and sounds kinda fun! Lol! Anyway, Thank you all again for the help!

Edit:
I would also like to point out that I do know that Tinted Moisturizer and Foundation are close to the same thing, but for $3 a piece I would like to try both out to see what's the difference.
I am also not worrying about Contour right now as I feel that is a little to advanced for me right now...
I have also went with lighter colors (apart from the Liquid Black Eyeliner as I would like to learn the difference between that and Pencil, and the Black Mascara as I can not find any cheaper in Brown) as I was told they will go better with Dark Blonde Hair/Bright Blue Eyes. This includes Light Pink, Nude or Light Brown, and White.
  •  

Julia1996

Don't be embarrassed to go to the makeup aisle in boy mode. Before I transitioned I use to look at makeup all the time and buy some as well. Not just at Walmart but at ulta and store makeup counters. No one EVER said squat to me. Yes I got stares but I think that was because I'm albino and not cause I was in the makeup aisle.  I say go into the makeup aisle and act like you own it. If by chance someone looks at you funny just smile and say hi. It's totally unlikely you will ever see them again anyway. And always remember that you have as much right in the makeup aisle as any other girl.
Julia

Born 1998
Started hrt 2015
SRS done 5/21/2018
  •  

Tommi

Doing the 90 minute sephora tutorial. Bought lota of stuff, learned lots of stuff, but whenever i try to apply it my wife gets frustrated that I'm so slow and grabs it out of my hand "let me do it!"

--
"You do realize, this means you get to do character creation & the newbie zone all over again? :D"

•  

MrTravisL

Quote from: Julia1996 on June 15, 2017, 12:01:13 PM
Don't be embarrassed to go to the makeup aisle in boy mode. Before I transitioned I use to look at makeup all the time and buy some as well. Not just at Walmart but at ulta and store makeup counters. No one EVER said squat to me. Yes I got stares but I think that was because I'm albino and not cause I was in the makeup aisle.  I say go into the makeup aisle and act like you own it. If by chance someone looks at you funny just smile and say hi. It's totally unlikely you will ever see them again anyway. And always remember that you have as much right in the makeup aisle as any other girl.

I have bought tons of clothes and no one has ever said anything. I even went to a store around here that has no self checkouts so I had to have someone ring me up. I bought 2 dresses, 2 skirts, and 3 shirts. All's the girl ringing me up had to say was "we don't sell many dresses or skirts around here". I just nodded and said "really?". Walmart I can walk right into the womens section without a problem, and even the lotion/skincare section, been in there quite a few times when trying to get my legs better. I guess now it's time for another step and into the Makeup section, which I am quite nervous but excited about! I always pass by it (especially when going to the skincare section) and just sigh...

Edit:
Quick update! I had went out and purchased a bunch of Makeup today after work! It was so much fun being in the aisles for the first time! And it was so easy, I wasn't nervous or nothing! I had a couple people look, which I noticed out of the corner of my eye, but I was so distracted by it all to even worry about them, and I also had a girl say "excuse me", I said "sorry, I'm probably in your way" she laughed and said "no your fine" and smiled, then went back to looking, it felt nice that she was so polite. I spent a good hour walking through the small 4 aisles looking at everything, what the prices of different brands were, and then of course grabbing some things :) I ended up with

1: Foundation Primer
2: Foundation (which I am so amazed by! I picked up the correct shade just from googling some pictures and finding out my skin tone)
3: Concealer (I have yet to try this but it is a tiny bit lighter than my Foundation...)
4: Four Color Blush Pallet (which are all light colors, I am not so good with colors but they look like bright pink, light pink, nude, and light red)
5: Clear Lip Primer and Plumper
6: Rose Moisturizing Lipstick (which is a lot darker than I wanted :( I will not be wearing it much probably, but will still keep it to practice applying with. Also I have had normal Lipstick before and it dries out my lips very bad! I usually keep my EOS Lip Moisturizer with me at all times which helps out a ton! That's why I wanted Moisturizing Lipstick)
7: Light Pink Lip Gloss (this is one of the few things that are no elf branded, it goes on nice but not a lot of shine, more glitter, which is alright for now)
8: Black Lengthening and Volumizing Mascara
9: Precision Black Liquid Eyeliner
10: Four Color Eyeshadow Pallet (comes with looks like nude, tan, light brown and coffee)
11: False Eyelashes (I seen there was a set for 0.93 cents and figures, well I gotta learn sometime...)
12: Blending Sponge (since I could not find any of the elf bronzer I wanted, I decided to pick up a blending sponge instead)
13: 11 Piece Brush Set (I didn't feel comfortable spending $2-$3 for a single brush when I have no clue the difference between them yet...)

I still have yet to find some brown mascara, nude pencil eyeliner, and bronzer, but that will come in time, besides it will be fun to go back in there and look around! :) I can't believe how many women came into the aisles to look around but not pick anything up... I guess there like me with my car parts, always want but know you probably shouldn't buy, lol :P Anyway, thank you all again for the help! I am going to start practicing soon hopefully :)
  •