Susan's Place Logo

News:

Please be sure to review The Site terms of service, and rules to live by

Main Menu

Haircut thread!

Started by undautri, June 26, 2017, 03:32:46 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

undautri

Making this thread in case anyone has any tips for haircuts/hairstyles for anyone ever!

Starting this because as a transman I struggle with keeping my hair in the perfect balance between masculine and working as a gender cue, and feminine to keep my face slim-looking, so I figured I can't be the only one, make or female.

Post your questions, post your pictures, post your tips! I hope someone gets something out of this, because sadly the internet didn't help me, like, at all.
kindest regards possible,
Clay
  •  

Willowicious

I think Greek boy curls or pixie cuts can suit all genders, or if you want to get a bit dated, mullets and big hair a la bands like Poison could work :)

I have long enough hair, but my problem is how to style, or indeed cut it, especially with my hairline. Anybody got any tips? :)

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

•  

eyesk8rboi

Quote from: Willowicious on July 02, 2017, 07:46:44 PM
I think Greek boy curls or pixie cuts can suit all genders, or if you want to get a bit dated, mullets and big hair a la bands like Poison could work :)

I have long enough hair, but my problem is how to style, or indeed cut it, especially with my hairline. Anybody got any tips? :)

A well styled messy bun???? :)
Steven Lee | 24 | Dog Dad | Beginner Figure Skater | Aspiring Writer

:icon_arrow:Started counseling on June 11th, 2017
:icon_arrow:Received HRT Letter on July 2nd, 2017
:icon_arrow:HRT Consultation with Doctor on July 16th, 2017

•  

eyesk8rboi

Quote from: undautri on June 26, 2017, 03:32:46 PM
Making this thread in case anyone has any tips for haircuts/hairstyles for anyone ever!

Starting this because as a transman I struggle with keeping my hair in the perfect balance between masculine and working as a gender cue, and feminine to keep my face slim-looking, so I figured I can't be the only one, make or female.

Post your questions, post your pictures, post your tips! I hope someone gets something out of this, because sadly the internet didn't help me, like, at all.

Hi again Clay!

As much as most people don't want to out themselves or talk about it...Outing yourself to your hairdressers can be super beneficial. I've dealt with almost every hair dressed trying to feminize my cut, even when I've shown them a male hairstyle.

I outed myself at my favorite hair place, and they made sure that my cut was more square and my hairline was trimmed in a masculine way!

•  

Elis

Quote from: Willowicious on July 02, 2017, 07:46:44 PM

Btw; super jealous of your hair; wish mine will look like yours one day :)

I have sort of wavy hair which I've found is much easier to control when using a heat protection spray before blow drying. It makes my hair much more smooth and controllable.

It's also important to find a hairstylist who can cut your type of hair texture. Not every hair dresser can cut curly hair. A good hairdresser will also know how to hide things like masculine or receding hairlines.

Hope this helped.
They/them pronouns preferred.

•  

Elis

Quote from: undautri on June 26, 2017, 03:32:46 PM

I think it's sort of a misconception that because you have a round face you can't have a short hair cut. I found that an undercut worked best for me pre T even though I had a round face; because having shaved sides made my face look narrower but some length on top also gave my face more length to make it look less round.

https://drive.google.com/file/d/0B4794fz6HDS4dG5HT0FJSGpocnc/view?usp=drivesdk TBT

•  

Elis

https://drive.google.com/file/d/0B4794fz6HDS4dTRRUG96WVBNWGc/view?usp=drivesdk

This is what I look like now. I want to grow my hair long so it's just starting that awkward phase atm were it looks really messy  :-\. Not sure how to make it less so.

•  

Willowicious

Quote from: transguymac on July 03, 2017, 01:40:05 AM
A well styled messy bun???? :)

I think I could give it a try. Don't wanna end up looking like this though XD

Quote from: Elis on July 03, 2017, 07:38:09 AM
Btw; super jealous of your hair; wish mine will look like yours one day :)

I have sort of wavy hair which I've found is much easier to control when using a heat protection spray before blow drying. It makes my hair much more smooth and controllable.

It's also important to find a hairstylist who can cut your type of hair texture. Not every hair dresser can cut curly hair. A good hairdresser will also know how to hide things like masculine or receding hairlines.

Hope this helped.

All you need to do is not cut it for three years XD

I think I may have some of that spray somewhere; I'll give it a go :)

Thanks for your help! :D

•  

Willowicious

Quote from: Elis on July 03, 2017, 07:54:00 AM
https://drive.google.com/file/d/0B4794fz6HDS4dTRRUG96WVBNWGc/view?usp=drivesdk

This is what I look like now. I want to grow my hair long so it's just starting that awkward phase atm were it looks really messy  :-\. Not sure how to make it less so.

If you're worried about keeping it neat, maybe brush it out, straighten and spray it in place? Or try getting it permed or something to make it curly so you can get away with messy? :)

•  

Elis

Quote from: Willowicious on July 03, 2017, 08:09:24 AM
If you're worried about keeping it neat, maybe brush it out, straighten and spray it in place? Or try getting it permed or something to make it curly so you can get away with messy? :)

Thanks for the advice :)

•  

MissKairi

hiya, jumping in :)

Ive just let my hair grow and its still short (about the length of my thumb) so I can side sweep into a male side parting at work but thats only gonna work for a few more months then...I dunno.
back sweep and ponytail?
Let's see where this journey takes me.
  •  

Willowicious

Quote from: MissKairi on July 04, 2017, 01:31:42 PM
hiya, jumping in :)

Ive just let my hair grow and its still short (about the length of my thumb) so I can side sweep into a male side parting at work but thats only gonna work for a few more months then...I dunno.
back sweep and ponytail?

If you put shorter hair in a pony tail you run the risk of getting a man bun or bronytail, which are in fashion with men atm. Could work for medium longer hair, so long as your hairline ain't too masculine. Maybe a fringe, or a middle separation with the front bits pinned/ tucked away at the sides?

•  

KathyLauren

When I was passing as male, I wore my hair in a ponytail.  I am thin enough on top, with a receded hairline, that I can't go out bareheaded.  So when it came time to transition, I had my hair cut short enough to wear under a wig.  I got the hairdresser to cut and style it so it would look feminine on its own as long as I covered the top.  That way, I can work in the garden or go to fire department practice without a wig, just a hat, and still give out the right cues.

My hair is quite curly.  I just fluff it up a bit at the back and sides when I'm not wearing a wig.
2015-07-04 Awakening; 2015-11-15 Out to self; 2016-06-22 Out to wife; 2016-10-27 First time presenting in public; 2017-01-20 Started HRT!!; 2017-04-20 Out publicly; 2017-07-10 Legal name change; 2019-02-15 Approval for GRS; 2019-08-02 Official gender change; 2020-03-11 GRS; 2020-09-17 New birth certificate
  •  

barbie

Sometimes shorter hair can look more feminine. My hair right now is shoulder length, but I am thinking letting it cut shorter again soon.

barbie~~
Just do it.
  •  

eyesk8rboi

Quote from: barbie on July 08, 2017, 12:42:09 PM
Sometimes shorter hair can look more feminine. My hair right now is shoulder length, but I am thinking letting it cut shorter again soon.

barbie~~

I second this! It works both ways....Awkwardly enough, the longer my hair is the manlier I look....as long as there are no bangs....It's supper weird.

So FTM'S....AVOID BANGS....

MTF's....I recommend them! (Girls with bangs are cute~)

•  

MissKairi

Quote from: transguymac on July 08, 2017, 09:35:18 PM

So FTM'S....AVOID BANGS....

Haha definitely! Avoid long hair altogether! I still present fully as male and my natural hair is around maybe three inches long (but it's so wavy can't really tell) and everyone rags on me to get my "girl hair" cut. :D if only they knew...
Let's see where this journey takes me.
  •