Susan's Place Logo

News:

Please be sure to review The Site terms of service, and rules to live by

Main Menu

Reading More

Started by Sammie, June 27, 2017, 11:07:02 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Sammie

I love books, I have plenty, and I have time, but I am just not reading them. I can't seem to finish a book after I start it. I will often get a few pages in, need to stop for something, and not pick it back up again. Does anyone else have this problem or how to actually read consistently?
:laugh: Be you! 
-sammie.the.trans.turtle
  •  

Elis

Yep. When I was a child I used to read constantly; now I just find it really difficult to concentrate and turn my mind off to be able to read a book and process the words. I still read but rarely; I've just started reading again after a year of not reading. I only read as an adult because otherwise I'd get really bored and frustrated at the lack of mental stimulation. I don't really have a social life or any other outlet. I'd say just wait it out; you'll get to a point of feeling you can read again.
They/them pronouns preferred.

•  

Dan

It only happens to me when the book's story simply doesn't keep me enthralled to drive me to finish reading it. If the book doesn't engage me, I just drop it and look for one that does.
  •  

gooseberry

I've had this problem sometimes, I find it can be a combination of a) I can't get into the habit and b) the book itself is boring. Sometimes I find I need to actively set aside time to read, which can sometimes include forcing myself to sit down and do it. Once I get into it, it's easy to keep going, but you need the time to get into the book in the first place! And of course to do that, you need a book you enjoy. It's no good forcing yourself to read a book you don't enjoy, that'll just make things worse.

One thing that helps me is to remind myself that I can read any time. So if I find myself sitting around at home, wasting time looking at addictive social media or youtube videos, it's time to pull away and maybe get out a book instead. I also take a book whenever I go to the doctor's since there will inevitably be waiting times and that's a good way to pass them by. One thing I have found is the more I read the more I want to read, so after initially pushing myself to get started (or re-started) after a long period of not reading, I get into it, and I don't need to push myself to do it any more.

If you have a kindle or reading app, downloading the free samples of books can also help, so you don't end up buying something you don't like, and then feeling like you HAVE to read it just 'cause you bought it. (Sounds obvious, but I wasted loads of time/money before I realised I could do this!)
  •  

Deb Roz

I definitely swing in and back out of the habit.  I'll go a few months of reading consistently, and then fall off of it fo ra few months or longer.  Oftentimes I will finish a book and not have another lined up, and that is just killer for me, I'll fall back out.   I really like going to the library for this reason, it's great to line books up one after another.  It also helps that my GF is an excellent reader, with great taste, so she recommends books for me that I usually like a lot.

I find that I have more or less lost the ability to read challenging books.  I read almost exclusively as an escape.  Lots of sci fi and fantasy.  It keeps me going, and that calm, almost dream like state of reading a good book is totally worth it.  I sometimes worry that I'm not properly 'expanding my mind' by reading easy stuff, but these days I'm more interested in calming my anxiety.  Reading does wonders for that. 

Currently reading:  The Obelisk Gate, by NK Jemison.  Just finished IT by Stephen King, and am listening to an audio book as well :  Long Way to a Small Angry Planet, by Becky Chambers.   All Sci Fi, go fig. 

What sorts of books do you like reading? 
Mid 30s, assigned male at birth, seriously questioning my gender for the first time.
  •  

Deb Roz

Another thing I'll do sometimes to buoy myself between two novels is I'll read Graphic Novels.  They're usually very easy to get into, and the library in my town has a ton of them.  I'll burn through a few while trying to figure out what to read next. 
Mid 30s, assigned male at birth, seriously questioning my gender for the first time.
  •  

gooseberry

The biggest killer for me is when I have a book lined up, and then I end up hating it. Then I will download a bunch of free samples, but end up with too many and not know where to start.

I like a mix, I usually try to read something lighthearted or escapist after finishing something heavy. The challenging stuff is great, but too much of it can make your head spin! I quite often dip in and out of theory books or historical/information books while reading other stuff. (I've been reading Darwin's theory of Natural Selection because I wanted to learn the history of how he came up with it, but it's hard going so I only read a couple of pages every few weeks, or months.)

And I don't think there's anything wrong with reading purely for escapism either, reading is a hobby after all :)
  •  

Kylo

Having to read several books at once causes this in my case. There are books I read in prep for youtube discussions, books I have to read for the course, books I read for fun or just on a random whim... having several lying around means some get finished and some I find myself going back to the bookmarks about fifteen times. Some are also just so boring I can use them instead of sleeping pills.
"If the freedom of speech is taken away, then dumb and silent we may be led, like sheep to the slaughter."
  •  

Faith

My problem is opposite. I love to read and won't stop. I end up ignoring everything else until I'm done. Therefore, rather than start one and not finish, I've pretty much stopped reading now. I can't trust myself to stop if I start.

I can't read individual books, I read them like short-stories. I have to buy a series when I get the urge. Trilogies are the minimum, they feel rather short too though.
I left the door open, only a few came through. such is my life.

•