Susan's Place Logo

News:

According to Google Analytics 25,259,719 users made visits accounting for 140,758,117 Pageviews since December 2006

Main Menu

What to draw

Started by Sammie, June 27, 2017, 11:23:59 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Sammie

I find drawing very therapeutic and calming for me, but I have a problem, I don't know what to draw. I cant do very elaborate things like scenery and I prefer just using a pencil and not too many colors. What type of stuff can I draw, or learn to draw easily? What did you guys start out by drawing? How can I make drawing a hobby I do more often?
:laugh: Be you! 
-sammie.the.trans.turtle
  •  

Mystical Babs

What I did when I started out is that I did simple characters (my brother begged for Pokémon, so I have a full sketchbook of them <^•^' and most of them were simple because I rarely added shading and color). If you don't have anything in specific to draw, you can always draw drawing references. If you look up "Draw the Squad", the pictures and easy enough (but not too easy sometimes) and they're mostly hilarious and you can make them your own by adding in details!
You can also get a small sketchbook that you can fit into a bag so you can draw wherever you want.
  •  

gooseberry

If you're stuck for ideas, try searching google for "30 day art challenge," you will find a lot of ideas there with lists of things you can draw, sometimes with themes, sometimes not. I say pick one you like and give it a go!
  •  

Rachel_Christina

I used to always draw as a guy, I drew one portrait yesterday as I had a day off check it on Insta, Rachel_Christina_2JZ

Here are some old ones I did as a guy so obvs I'm cutting out my old name lol

Drawing is something you really have to keep up. I lost alot of my abilities when I stopped :/
With work and life you just don't get the chance to.

When I was young all I would do was draw the women I wanted to be :')

•  

Janes Groove

If you want to learn to draw pick up a copy of Betty Edwards, Drawing on the Right Side of the Brain.  Still the best how to on drawing I know of.  There are a bunch of exercises in there to teach you how to improve your drawing no matter what level you are at.  The theory behind the book is based on the Zen Buddhism teaching that beginners mind is something we should ALWAYS strive to cultivate.

These days I mostly do ZenTangles.
  •  

eyesk8rboi

Quote from: Rachel_Christina on August 02, 2017, 11:19:35 AM
I used to always draw as a guy, I drew one portrait yesterday as I had a day off check it on Insta, Rachel_Christina_2JZ

Here are some old ones I did as a guy so obvs I'm cutting out my old name lol

Drawing is something you really have to keep up. I lost alot of my abilities when I stopped :/
With work and life you just don't get the chance to.

When I was young all I would do was draw the women I wanted to be :')

OMG YOU'RE AMAZING. ;A;

I drew some for a fan fiction I was writing not too long ago, but I've never been too terribly good.

When I'm bored and don't know what to draw though I just tend to doodle...Especially eyes! Eyes are fun!
Steven Lee | 24 | Dog Dad | Beginner Figure Skater | Aspiring Writer

:icon_arrow:Started counseling on June 11th, 2017
:icon_arrow:Received HRT Letter on July 2nd, 2017
:icon_arrow:HRT Consultation with Doctor on July 16th, 2017

•  

Rachel_Christina

Quote from: transguymac on August 02, 2017, 04:57:03 PM
OMG YOU'RE AMAZING. ;A;

I drew some for a fan fiction I was writing not too long ago, but I've never been too terribly good.

When I'm bored and don't know what to draw though I just tend to doodle...Especially eyes! Eyes are fun!

I actually quiet like the style Mac.
You keep at it you will get better!

Drawing is something I used to do alot of and was really not bad at a time.
Now it takes so much more effort, for results nowhere near as good.
I struggle with eyes, it's something I need to practice more.
Sometimes I will stylise even real style drawings and ruin em. Started of as an anime junkie lol :')

•  

Kylo

Quote from: Sammie.the.trans.turtle on June 27, 2017, 11:23:59 PM
I find drawing very therapeutic and calming for me, but I have a problem, I don't know what to draw. I cant do very elaborate things like scenery and I prefer just using a pencil and not too many colors. What type of stuff can I draw, or learn to draw easily?

Easily? Still life. Household objects that don't move.

QuoteWhat did you guys start out by drawing?

Hard to recall as I was drawing on things constantly since I was a couple of years old, but I think dragons were a favorite subject as a child.

QuoteHow can I make drawing a hobby I do more often?

Make yourself do it. Set aside time regularly. Make a daily drawing blog to post things on, get feedback etc.
"If the freedom of speech is taken away, then dumb and silent we may be led, like sheep to the slaughter."
  •