Susan's Place Logo

News:

According to Google Analytics 25,259,719 users made visits accounting for 140,758,117 Pageviews since December 2006

Main Menu

How to write

Started by Sammie, June 27, 2017, 11:30:07 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Sammie

I know that this is mostly for actual works of writing, but I don't know how to write. Like I know how to write words and sentences, but I can never seem to make them come together or even make sense. I also have trouble finding a topic that I can stick with over the course of a multiple days or weeks. I have tried to do short stories, but they never really got anywhere as far as being 'readable'. I want to not only be able to write, but also write more consistently, not just a day or two a month. Does anyone have any tips? How did you get started? How do you come up with topics?
:laugh: Be you! 
-sammie.the.trans.turtle
  •  

Elis

I tried to write stuff years ago but stopped due to lack of focus :P. And finding a topic that I was really passionate about was impossible; as well as I just can't write dialogue in a realistic way.

The only way to write (and what a lot of authors advise) is to just do it. Write down a rough draft. Doesn't matter if it doesn't make sense or isn't very good. Just get your ideas on to a page; once you do that your ideas will flow better and you can always go back and change stuff around. Don't obsess over developing a character or getting one sentence absolutely 'perfect'. Just get the basic skeleton of your story on paper. Force yourself to write a few paragraphs everyday even if you don't feel like it. Similarly with exercise; once you do it you're glad you did.
I think the word 'readable' is sort of arbitrary. Tolkien is considered a great writer but I find his books not readable at all; same with many other authors.

As for topics they'd just come to me randomly when I wasn't forcing myself to come up with them. Like I'd be brushing my teeth and one would pop into my head.
They/them pronouns preferred.

•  

Dena

Look up outlining a story. It's a process where you make a list of bullet points then you fill out the detail. After you can see how the story flows, it's much less of a problem writing it. In addition, after you understand the process of outlining, you may reach the point where you can do it in your head and don't need to put it on paper.
Rebirth Date 1982 - PMs are welcome - Use [email]dena@susans.org[/email] or Discord if your unable to PM - Skype is available - My Transition
If you are helped by this site, consider leaving a tip in the jar at the bottom of the page or become a subscriber
  •  

Jennifer RachaelAnn

Take a cue from books you love, and from life experiences. For example the first book I wrote is in the same writing style of S.E. Hinton when she wrote The Outsiders. It took me over 10 years to finish, but that's because you can't force yourself to sit down and write unless you're a professional writer. You need to let it come to you whenever. If that isn't helping you start with something generic to get the creative juices flowing. Like with me the first short story I wrote was about an assassination attempt on the president. A billion writers (both professional and amateur) have written something to that effect. Also what's something you absolutely love? Sports? Video Games? Music? Something else? Draw inspiration from that too. Another fairly easy topic is religion. Whether or not you're religious doesn't matter. If you're writing fiction anyway. Pick something you find interesting and make up a story. The easiest way to start is 3 simple steps. Know the beginning, middle, and end. You don't have to have all the details. In my opinion, stories are typically better if they flow organically, instead of being forced. The first paragraph is always the hardest. But once you get a bit past that the story often writes itself. So know where it begins, have a general idea of what you want to happen to the protagonist, and know where you want the story to end. Once you've got that you're a lot further along than a lot of people. Or if it's easier start with poetry. It doesn't need to be a limerick. Just let your words flow, and pay no attention to how anyone else writes poetry. For me poetry comes completely absent minded. Another style that I have tinkered with is snail mail. Make each entry a letter that someone is writing to someone. For example a soldier writing home in the middle of a war. Let their letters tell the story. There are tons of things and styles to write about. If you want I can give you a link to the stuff I have written. That might help get the ball rolling for you. Bear in mind that everything I have uploaded is still very deep in the editing phase, so nothings polished yet. There's one story that I'm going to take the chapter links down, because I'm re-writing a huge chunk of it, but the rest is fairly readable.

Just remember not to get pissed at yourself if you hit writers block, or don't feel inspired for the next 8 months. You just have to remember not to force it. And don't expect yourself to be Shakespeare. None of us are, and to expect it, especially with the first thing you write, is just plain unreasonable and illogical.
"There are many who would take my time. I shun them.
There are some who share my time. I am entertained by them.
There are precious few who contribute to my time. I cherish them."

-Anton Szandor LaVey

•  

rmaddy

Read good literature.  The more you read, the better you'll write.
  •  

Kylo

Try free association, writing anything down in something like a spider diagram, and with each word you come up with, think about it some more and write whatever new words or phrases comes to mind, without any real plan. I've used this to come up with new characters and new ideas for short stories for course work.
"If the freedom of speech is taken away, then dumb and silent we may be led, like sheep to the slaughter."
  •  

Nectar_Plexus

When it comes to writing, I think it's always best to start small. If you have a scene or some sort of vivid image you want to express, start there and work your way outward. Most short stories generally only have one or two central ideas or themes. Figure out what you want to say, what sort of statement you want to make and focus on that.

That said, if you're still struggling, don't worry yourself with themes or statements, just work on conveying your thoughts in a clear, concise fashion. Find your voice first.
  •