Susan's Place Logo

News:

Please be sure to review The Site terms of service, and rules to live by

Main Menu

Coming to Sydney to transition. Not sure how I'm going to manage it.

Started by Colonel_Panic, July 09, 2017, 08:13:05 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Colonel_Panic

Hi guys,

As the subject says. I'm a welfare recipient in North Queensland. I tried to get my name on the Sydney public housing list but, despite being born and having lived in Sydney for like 25 years of my life and only having left in 2012, I need a NSW address to access NSW public housing.

I'm kind of lost. The only reason I live in Mackay is because of my parents, and I need to get away from them and this town in order to do this. My second thought was that I could rock up into town and get some emergency accommodation because at least that way I could tell public housing I'm in temporary accommodation. The Gender Centre said they can't guarantee me a place in their crisis housing until I get down, though, and I'd rather stay out of the men's homeless shelters (particularly the religious ones). Even with those, I can't guarantee I'll have a place to stay. I have family down there but they're all uber-Catholic and I'm going to be starting HRT in December if I have my way.

Any ideas on how to do this? Are there cheap places I could stay until I could get some crisis housing? I feel like a dead>-bleeped-< for not being able to support myself but I really just want to come home.
  •  

Michelle_P

Hi, Colonel_Panic!

I believe I've met with your namesake a few times, mostly while working with the motor pool, with the... ahem... drivers.   (Caution: Nerd humor.  See, in the UNIX operating... never mind.)

I think some of our Australian contingent will be along one they wake up a bit.  Meanwhile, I just wanted to welcome you to the site.

We'd like to get to know you!  Try posting a little bit about yourself in a new topic just for yourself, over in our Introductions forum. Tell us your story, how you came to join our family, life lessons learned, and tell us what makes the world a special place for you. 

I hope you feel welcome here.

A Cautionary Note:
Please try to remember when posting that The Internet Never Forgets, and the various web crawlers and archival sites out there somewhere make sure of this.

This is a public forum. We cannot insure that any information shared on the site will be protected from public view and/or copying or reproduction.  There is no way to guarantee that automated image and writing style analyzers out there won't see and process your post.

Do not share anything on Susan's that you do not want to be public information.

I also want to share some links with you. They are mostly welcome information and the rules that govern the site. If you have not had a chance to take a look, please take a moment to go through them.

Things that you should read

Once again, welcome to Susan's. Look around, ask questions and join in.
Earth my body, water my blood, air my breath and fire my spirit.

My personal transition path included medical changes.  The path others take may require no medical intervention, or different care.  We each find our own path. I provide these dates for the curious.
Electrolysis - Hours in The Chair: 238 (8.5 were preparing for GCS, five clearings); On estradiol patch June 2016; Full-time Oct 22, 2016; GCS Oct 20, 2017; FFS Aug 28, 2018; Stage 2 labiaplasty revision and BA Feb 26, 2019
Michelle's personal blog and biography
  •  

Raell

When I was in Sydney in 2005 we stayed at a hostel near the train station. There are many online links to hostels, which cost about $13 a night and you clean up after yourself.

You can also check Craigslist, do google searches, etc., for people looking for flatmates.
  •  

Colonel_Panic

Hi guys, thanks for the replies!

Raell, that's not a bad idea actually. It wouldn't cost me too much more than my current rent anyway.
  •  

bubbles21

Hey,

Normally the GC won't confirm a place until they interview you, however, the interviews are nothing too serious. IMHO i would go with the gender centre, all you would have to do is stay in a cheap place for a couple of nights for everything to be organized. I have also heard of Twenty10 i think they are called who might also be able to help. Other than that im not sure what places will help. I know what the GC said but if you can find a way to get into there it will pretty much fast track an application to gaining public housing. The only other option i can think of is as mentioned above, hostels.

kind regards,

B
Blossoming with my Happy Pills :)
  •  

Colonel_Panic

Quote from: bubbles21 on July 10, 2017, 03:55:35 AM
Hey,

Normally the GC won't confirm a place until they interview you, however, the interviews are nothing too serious. IMHO i would go with the gender centre, all you would have to do is stay in a cheap place for a couple of nights for everything to be organized. I have also heard of Twenty10 i think they are called who might also be able to help. Other than that im not sure what places will help. I know what the GC said but if you can find a way to get into there it will pretty much fast track an application to gaining public housing. The only other option i can think of is as mentioned above, hostels.

kind regards,

B

Really? Oh, thank gods! I feel much better now. Thank you!
  •  

Cindy

Hi Hon and welcome,

I'm in Adelaide so I cannot speak with authority about Sydney except for the times I pass through.
Homelessness in Sydney is very bad and I think far worse than you may experience in MacKay. In fact homelessness in all the major cities is bad.

Do not expect any help. It is very limited. If you expect to live on the street try and bring a swag at least. Ye sounds funny but may save your life.

If you are single, 'male', fit and transient you are not high on the list for help.

Decide what you are looking for in Sydney so we can try to help you, just coming here and expecting something maybe a waste of time.
  •  

Mangothedog

all I can say, is once you're in sydney (or melbourne for that matter) your life is going to be 10x easier when it comes to your identity...beats Brisbane thats for sure...
  •  

Colonel_Panic

Quote from: Mangothedog on July 11, 2017, 04:20:00 AM
all I can say, is once you're in sydney (or melbourne for that matter) your life is going to be 10x easier when it comes to your identity...beats Brisbane thats for sure...

Yeah, I really have to do this, and I think it's worth risking everything to do. Transitioning in front of my family would be agonising.

That being said, I have a really top cousin who is also gay and sort of understands. He's been putting me in touch with Mission Australia, who are going to help me out. From what he said, there might be a chance that I could access women's shelters if I identify as female. I'm (hopefully) starting HRT next week, so maybe by May 2018, I'll be a bit more confident identifying as female.
  •  

Tammy Jade

I'm from adelaide so Sydney prices may be different, but I would look into student housing. In my area we have a lot of private houses renting out rooms.

Most are around 100-120 a week depending on the size and location including utilities, if the landlord will sign off on the paperwork you can get rent support and the bond from Centrelink (unlike for a hotel room)

Not all will sign off on the Centrelink paperwork because that means they have to declare it at tax time. But a lot will.

My brother in law is in this sort of arrangement he is on a single doll and with the rent support makes ends meet.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
- Tamara Jade

** The Meaning of Life?? Is to find the Meaning of Life **
  •