Susan's Place Logo

News:

Visit our Discord server  and Wiki

Main Menu

Taking care of your hair and growing it out.

Started by Julia1996, July 13, 2017, 07:46:49 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Thea

I started growing my hair out in 2003. The length got to just past my shoulders in a couple of years and then just stopped. My hair is rather fine and I figured it had something to do with split ends so I get it trimmed once or twice a year. It always grows back to the same length but no longer. It's been the same length for over ten years.
I'm very careful about how I comb it out and gentle out all tangles. I put coconut oil on it every four to six weeks. I don't dye it or use heat on it ever. I usually go two days between washings with conditioner, using shampoo only once a week.
I'm really getting frustrated that it seems to have hit a plateau as far as length goes. I would really like it to be down to at least my lower back, maybe even longer. Am I doing something to defeat my goal? Is there something else I should be doing?
Veteran, U.S. Army

First awareness of my true nature 1971
Quit alcohol & pot 10/22/14
First acceptance of my true nature 10/2015
Started electrolysis 9/12/17
Begun Gender Therapy 7/06/18
Begun HRT 8/01/18
Quit tobacco 11/23/18

•  

Allison S

Quote from: Thea on December 22, 2017, 09:34:03 PM
I started growing my hair out in 2003. The length got to just past my shoulders in a couple of years and then just stopped. My hair is rather fine and I figured it had something to do with split ends so I get it trimmed once or twice a year. It always grows back to the same length but no longer. It's been the same length for over ten years.
I'm very careful about how I comb it out and gentle out all tangles. I put coconut oil on it every four to six weeks. I don't dye it or use heat on it ever. I usually go two days between washings with conditioner, using shampoo only once a week.
I'm really getting frustrated that it seems to have hit a plateau as far as length goes. I would really like it to be down to at least my lower back, maybe even longer. Am I doing something to defeat my goal? Is there something else I should be doing?
Have you tried biotin? It's a supplement you could buy at any pharmacy that's supposed to help hair grow. It does take a while though but worth a try maybe

Sent from my SM-G930T using Tapatalk

•  

Roll

Quote from: dist123 on December 22, 2017, 09:47:10 PM
Have you tried biotin? It's a supplement you could buy at any pharmacy that's supposed to help hair grow. It does take a while though but worth a try maybe

Sent from my SM-G930T using Tapatalk

You can pick it up cheap off amazon too. I've been using it, and while I can't say what is biotin and what is my minox/finast when it comes to hair stuff, I can at least say it is having some effect on my body in general because my nails (which it also works for) are now ridiculously strong. I used to bite them off easily when I chewed my nails, now I can't. So it definitely does something at least. Based on that and its price, definitely worth using.
~ Ellie
■■■■■■■■■■■■■■■■■■■■■■■■■■■■■■■■■■■■■■■■■■■■■
I ALWAYS WELCOME PMs!
(I made the s lowercase so it didn't look as much like PMS... ;D)

An Open Letter to anyone suffering from anxiety, particularly those afraid to make your first post or continue posting!

8/30/17 - First Therapy! The road begins in earnest.
10/20/17 - First coming out (to my father)!
12/16/17 - BEGAN HRT!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
5/21/18 - FIRST DAY OUT AS ME!!!!!!!!!
6/08/18 - 2,250 Hair Grafts
6/23/18 - FIRST PRIDE!
8/06/18 - 100%, completely out!
9/08/18 - I'M IN LOVE!!!!
2/27/19 - Name Change!

•  

LizK

I have tried a few of the supplements and started taking biontin on its own a few weeks ago and I have noticed the chipping has stopped already...that could also be me taking a bit more care.
Transition Begun 25 September 2015
HRT since 17 May 2016,
Fulltime from 8 March 2017,
GCS 4 December 2018
Voice Surgery 01 February 2019
  •  

amandam

Ovation Cell Therapy works but is expensive. Here's a secret. Megatek is the same thing. My wife uses it. It has done a great deal for her hair.
Out of the closet to family 4-2019
  •  

DawnOday

To improve hair 100% try some natural henna. If you want red highlight or make your hair darker there are color formulas. Hindus have been using henna forever. Improves strength and manageability. Use Argon oil to put shine in your hair. 100% Natural Henna Hair Dyes and Herbals, No Chemicals (no PPD, no Ammonia, no peroxide, no sulfates, no metals). They do take a while to apply but results last 6-8 weeks.
Dawn Oday

It just feels right   :icon_hug: :icon_hug: :icon_kiss: :icon_kiss: :icon_kiss:

If you have a a business or service that supports our community please submit for our Links Page.

First indication I was different- 1956 kindergarten
First crossdress - Asked mother to dress me in sisters costumes  Age 7
First revelation - 1982 to my present wife
First time telling the truth in therapy June 15, 2016
Start HRT Aug 2016
First public appearance 5/15/17

•  

Deborah

Quote from: Thea on December 22, 2017, 09:34:03 PM
Hair length is genetically determined by how long the growth phase lasts.  It may be that right now yours is as long as it's going to be.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Love is not obedience, conformity, or submission. It is a counterfeit love that is contingent upon authority, punishment, or reward. True love is respect and admiration, compassion and kindness, freely given by a healthy, unafraid human being....  - Dan Barker

U.S. Army Retired
  •  

Thea

Thanks everybody for your advice and feedback.

Quote from: Deborah on December 23, 2017, 11:50:11 AM
Hair length is genetically determined by how long the growth phase lasts.  It may be that right now yours is as long as it's going to be.

La, la, la, la, I can't hear you!  :icon_lalala:
Veteran, U.S. Army

First awareness of my true nature 1971
Quit alcohol & pot 10/22/14
First acceptance of my true nature 10/2015
Started electrolysis 9/12/17
Begun Gender Therapy 7/06/18
Begun HRT 8/01/18
Quit tobacco 11/23/18

•  

DawnOday

Another thing I hear is really good especially if losing hair, is rinsing with Apple Cider Vinegar. The acid is supposed to clear out the sebum and allow hair to regrow. Also heard castor oil on bald spots will help regrow hair. Using on eyelashes keep them from falling out and makes them grow.
Dawn Oday

It just feels right   :icon_hug: :icon_hug: :icon_kiss: :icon_kiss: :icon_kiss:

If you have a a business or service that supports our community please submit for our Links Page.

First indication I was different- 1956 kindergarten
First crossdress - Asked mother to dress me in sisters costumes  Age 7
First revelation - 1982 to my present wife
First time telling the truth in therapy June 15, 2016
Start HRT Aug 2016
First public appearance 5/15/17

•  

Lily Rose

thank you for this thread, have a questions.

is moose bad for hair?
my hair is very thin and does what it wants to. however since it is so thin i am scared to do anything that will damage it.  ???

"I love you!"
– Lily Anne

"You must unlearn what you have learned."
– Yoda

"The road to success is always under construction."
– Lily Tomlin

"Music expresses that which cannot be put into words and that which cannot remain silent."
– Victor Hugo :icon_headfones:
  •  

Sonja

Quote from: Lily Rose on February 22, 2018, 08:17:58 AM

is moose bad for hair?
my hair is very thin and does what it wants to. however since it is so thin i am scared to do anything that will damage it.  ???
I think you mean mousse , I'm not qualified to know what a moose would do to a persons hair - I hate to think...
Have you looked into using Nioxin to keep your scalp in good condition?

Sonja.
  •  

Julia1996

Quote from: Lily Rose on February 22, 2018, 08:17:58 AM

is moose bad for hair?

No mousse isn't really bad for your hair as long as you keep your hair conditioned.
Julia

Born 1998
Started hrt 2015
SRS done 5/21/2018
  •  

Lucca

I'm trying to grow my hair out, I have a couple questions.

First, the OP says that cheap shampoos are fine, but I've read that there a certain ingredients you're supposed to avoid if you want to have healthy hair, and the cheap shampoos I've looked at have some of them. Is this true? Do I need to worry about looking at the ingredients when buying shampoo and conditioner?

Also, once my hair reaches a certain length, I constantly end up fiddling with it to the extent that I'll get hand cramps. I'm sure it looks odd to onlookers, and it can't be good for my hair, either. How do I get myself to stop absent-mindedly doing this?
  •  

MissyMay2.0

Quote from: Lucca on May 15, 2018, 06:31:59 PM
I'm trying to grow my hair out, I have a couple questions.

First, the OP says that cheap shampoos are fine, but I've read that there a certain ingredients you're supposed to avoid if you want to have healthy hair, and the cheap shampoos I've looked at have some of them. Is this true? Do I need to worry about looking at the ingredients when buying shampoo and conditioner?

Also, once my hair reaches a certain length, I constantly end up fiddling with it to the extent that I'll get hand cramps. I'm sure it looks odd to onlookers, and it can't be good for my hair, either. How do I get myself to stop absent-mindedly doing this?
Shampoo and conditioner without sulfates is what hairstylists usually recommend.
  •  

Lyric

There seems to be an endless debate on what ingredients are good or bad for the hair. The only solid fact I've extracted from it, though, is that for the most part the less you do to your hair the better off it will be.

You've probably heard that the hair from most human hair wigs comes from women in third world countries. The reason for this is not so much that they need the extra money, but that those women grow their hair long without using as many chemical products. Women in the first world over wash, condition, spray, mousse and whatever-- not to mention coloring and perming. If you want beautiful long hair, the very best thing you can do is to leave it alone as much as possible. If you can, only shampoo once a week or so and be very gentle with it all the time.
"Your time is limited, so don't waste it living someone else's life." - Steve Jobs
  •  

MissyMay2.0

Quote from: Lyric on May 19, 2018, 10:45:30 AM
There seems to be an endless debate on what ingredients are good or bad for the hair. The only solid fact I've extracted from it, though, is that for the most part the less you do to your hair the better off it will be.

You've probably heard that the hair from most human hair wigs comes from women in third world countries. The reason for this is not so much that they need the extra money, but that those women grow their hair long without using as many chemical products. Women in the first world over wash, condition, spray, mousse and whatever-- not to mention coloring and perming. If you want beautiful long hair, the very best thing you can do is to leave it alone as much as possible. If you can, only shampoo once a week or so and be very gentle with it all the time.
How long you can go without washing your hair is somewhat dependent on your hair texture; I have fine hair, so I have to wash it every other day, if I were to wash my hair only once per week it would be extremely oily. And you can use color/highlights on your hair and it will still be healthy and beautiful, you just don't want it to be over processed, so it is best to go to a talented stylist, and get your hair properly done.  And regular trims help to maintain healthy hair by getting rid of split ends before they can do more damage; regular trims also gives your hair that feminine and gorgeous well kept look that is so appealing.
  •  

barbie

Quote from: Lyric on May 19, 2018, 10:45:30 AM

Yes. The same is true for facial products. Less is better.

barbie~~
Just do it.
  •  

Lucca

For the last couple of months, I've been using conditioner every day and using shampoo plus conditioner every third day. I've also been taking care to not be rough with it when drying and to only use lukewarm/cold water to rinse it. I was using very cheap, basic Sauve shampoo and conditioner, but I decided to try to something slightly more expensive than the cheapest one the store had, so I bought some slightly higher-tier Suave stuff that's supposed to make your hair look "smooth" to try it out. I used it last night and my hair looks and feel great today, so I think I'll keep trying it for awhile.

I'm probably not going to worry too much about ingredients, I can't seem to find anything that's entirely lacking in all the ingredients that are supposedly bad. I figure there's probably nothing in any of them that would lead to disastrous results.

The biggest difference is that regardless of the exact product used, my hair has looked and felt a lot nicer than when I was shampooing every day. That makes a big difference, even for short hair.
  •  

Amaki

ok so my stylist wont really get back to me (she must be busy so Im trying not to pester her) (btw shes also my little sister so its kind of cool) anyway I had a few questions, so the few times I did let my hair grow when I was younger it kind of afro'ed for lack of better word, is there something I can do to make sure it grows down and not out (or w/e lol). I also am having a small issue of hair thinning I have a few spots up front that are thinner then others, is there something more I can be doing or do I need to look into something like rogaine or w/e I really dont want to spend money if I dont have to. I did use tree tee oil my mom swears by it but im not sure it helping (plus I really dont like the smell).
If life is too short for what ifs, than way do they always strike at the worse times.

Most people are worried about burning bridges, but forget about the consistent fire that burns on the roads we walk

In the end we only regret the chances we didnt take. -Lewis Carroll

Feel free to call me Sophia Lee if you want

The journey may not be new but its a new journey.

16 Apr 2018 - Start of a new chapter
8 Jun 2018- VA is working with me to move forward
11 Jul 2018 - consultation with Psych doctor
14 Jul 2018 - Dad confronted me...
7 Aug 2018 - Started HRT
25 Oct 2018 - Started Speech Therapy
24 Apr 2019 - Official name is Sophia Lee Bell

•  

RickiM

This is an excellent thread. My hair tends to get quite wavy and even somewhat curly when there's even a hint of humidity. I like the wavyness in moderation though it's really difficult to manage at times ugh. I agree that everyone has slightly different texture of hair thus slightly different needs when it comes to taking care of it. Typically though it seems like it's important to not overdo it with shampooing, conditioning, colouring, etcetera. Thanks again for the excellent thread.
  •