Susan's Place Logo

News:

Visit our Discord server  and Wiki

Main Menu

HRT observations

Started by Megan., July 28, 2017, 12:50:36 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Megan.

I've been on an initial (low)  dose of E for just over three weeks,  and AA for 2 weeks.

Physically: less oily skin on face
Mentally: no perceptible change.

I'll try to keep this thread updated with my observations as I become aware of them.

Sent from my MI 5s using Tapatalk

•  

Devlyn

I'll add an observation. If you go off the meds your face and hair start getting oily about a week later.

I ramped up slowly in the beginning (supplements) so mental effects weren't pronounced. When I came off the stuff, my mood tanked quickly. Making a seamless switch from supplements to HRT caused no mood changes.

Hugs, Devlyn
  •  

Megan.

Quote from: Devlyn Marie on July 28, 2017, 01:07:53 PM
I'll add an observation. If you go off the meds your face and hair start getting oily about a week later.

I ramped up slowly in the beginning (supplements) so mental effects weren't pronounced. When I came off the stuff, my mood tanked quickly. Making a seamless switch from supplements to HRT caused no mood changes.

Hugs, Devlyn
Good to know, but not something I intend to find out personally though. I only noticed the reduction in oiliness today,  but it helps keep my makeup looking better through the day.

•  

Devlyn

I'm under the impression that going off hormones for surgery is nearly universal and most transitioners will go through it. Probably not what you want to hear.  :(  Cross your bridges when you get to them, that's my motto.

Hugs, Devlyn
  •  

Kendra

In the long run it's all just estrogen under the bridge.
Assigned male at birth 1963.  Decided I wanted to be a girl in 1971.  Laser 2014-16, electrolysis 2015-17, HRT 7/2017, GCS 1/2018, VFS 3/2018, FFS 5/2018, Labiaplasty & BA 7/2018. 
  •  

Megan.

Quote from: Devlyn Marie on July 28, 2017, 01:36:13 PM
I'm under the impression that going off hormones for surgery is nearly universal and most transitioners will go through it. Probably not what you want to hear.  :(  Cross your bridges when you get to them, that's my motto.

Hugs, Devlyn
Ah yes, forgot about that! [emoji853]

•  

Laurie

Hi Megan,

I think you will soon if not already notice your skin feeling softer and your moods mellowing. Things may be a bit slower with a low dose but from what I hear things are still going to be happening....good things. You may feel you're on the kiddie ride with your dose, but you can still enjoy it.

Hugs,
   Laurie
April 13, 2019 switched to estradiol valerate
December 20, 2018    Referral sent to OHSU Dr Dugi  for vaginoplasty consult
December 10, 2018    Second Letter VA Psychiatric Practical nurse
November 15, 2018    First letter from VA therapist
May 11, 2018 I am Laurie Jeanette Wickwire
May   3, 2018 Submitted name change forms
Aug 26, 2017 another increase in estradiol
Jun  26, 2017 Last day in male attire That's full time I guess
May 20, 2017 doubled estradiol
May 18, 2017 started electrolysis
Dec   4, 2016 Started estradiol and spironolactone

•  

Megan.

I totally forgot one other big change,  my libido is waaay down.

•  

jessical

Hugs, Devlyn

This is starting to change.  Marci Bowers in particular does not require stopping HRT for surgery anymore.
  •  

Kendra

Jessica, thank you.  This is great to know. 
Assigned male at birth 1963.  Decided I wanted to be a girl in 1971.  Laser 2014-16, electrolysis 2015-17, HRT 7/2017, GCS 1/2018, VFS 3/2018, FFS 5/2018, Labiaplasty & BA 7/2018. 
  •  

Laurie

Quote from: meganjames2 on July 28, 2017, 03:05:44 PM
I totally forgot one other big change,  my libido is waaay down.

Lol yes that does happen. My is urge is practically nonresistant, and for me that is probably a good thing.

Hugs,
  Laurie
April 13, 2019 switched to estradiol valerate
December 20, 2018    Referral sent to OHSU Dr Dugi  for vaginoplasty consult
December 10, 2018    Second Letter VA Psychiatric Practical nurse
November 15, 2018    First letter from VA therapist
May 11, 2018 I am Laurie Jeanette Wickwire
May   3, 2018 Submitted name change forms
Aug 26, 2017 another increase in estradiol
Jun  26, 2017 Last day in male attire That's full time I guess
May 20, 2017 doubled estradiol
May 18, 2017 started electrolysis
Dec   4, 2016 Started estradiol and spironolactone

•  

Devlyn

Quote from: jessical on July 28, 2017, 03:14:21 PM

Hugs, Devlyn

This is starting to change.  Marci Bowers in particular does not require stopping HRT for surgery anymore.

I stand gladly corrected.  :)

Hugs, Devlyn
  •  

Megan.

Update: libido is now basically zero,  and I'm quite happy about that. I wondered how I'd feel once the AAs kicked in,  but it seems if you don't want it,  you don't miss it!
I've also had what I think are some menopause symptoms (hot flushes and slight heart palpitations),  likely due to my low initial E dosage,  this is being increased in another 2 months,  so that should resolve itself. Still no other physical changes aside skin far less oily.

•  

KayXo

Quote from: meganjames2 on August 02, 2017, 11:29:15 AMI've also had what I think are some menopause symptoms (hot flushes and slight heart palpitations),  likely due to my low initial E dosage,  this is being increased in another 2 months

If I were you, I would advise your doctor ASAP if the symptoms persist. I personally couldn't tolerate such symptoms for even 24 hours, no thanks and there is absolutely no reason to. First do no harm...right?
I am not a medical doctor, nor a scientist - opinions expressed by me on the subject of HRT are merely based on my own review of some of the scientific literature over the last decade or so, on anecdotal evidence from women in various discussion forums that I have come across, and my personal experience

On HRT since early 2004
Post-op since late 2005
  •  

kelly_aus

Quote from: jessical on July 28, 2017, 03:14:21 PM

More likely to have been the anesthetists request, not the surgeons.. 
  •  

josie76

My understanding of them wanting to stop HRT before surgery is because of the idea that estrogen causes blood clotting factor to increase. That's something that real progesterone is supposed to counteract from what I've read.

I've also noticed progesterone makes erection issues reappear. I suppose someday down the line if I ever get GCS having general blood flow down there increase sounds like a good thing, but right now it's not especially welcome.
04/26/2018 bi-lateral orchiectomy

A lifetime of depression and repressed emotions is nothing more than existence. I for one want to live now not just exist!

•  

KayXo

Quote from: josie76 on August 02, 2017, 09:07:06 PM
My understanding of them wanting to stop HRT before surgery is because of the idea that estrogen causes blood clotting factor to increase. That's something that real progesterone is supposed to counteract from what I've read.

Bio-identical progesterone has no effect on coagulation while bio-identical estradiol's effect on coagulation is much, much less as evidenced by recent studies in ciswomen, men and transgender women taking it, either orally or non-orally. Patches containing bio-identical estradiol (or transdermal estradiol) are not even contraindicated in individuals at high risk who are, for instance, obese, have a history of DVT or a genetic mutation as studies have found no increased risk. They actually mimic the way in which ciswomen secrete estrogen and if they aren't asked to remove their ovaries or stop production before surgery, neither should we. It just doesn't make sense and the advice is based on older forms of estrogen. As always, the change is slow coming... :(

Andrologia. 2014 Sep;46(7):791-5.

"it may be prudent to discontinue hormone treatment at least 2 weeks before sex reassignment surgery (SRS) or other elective surgery, although this is not supported by evidence."

I am not a medical doctor, nor a scientist - opinions expressed by me on the subject of HRT are merely based on my own review of some of the scientific literature over the last decade or so, on anecdotal evidence from women in various discussion forums that I have come across, and my personal experience

On HRT since early 2004
Post-op since late 2005
  •  

Megan.

Quick update: when I first went full-time,  I felt very up and positive,  and while that was indeed great,  I figured it would be a temporary thing and I'd soon be back to my usual level. Well more than 3 months in and 5 weeks on HRT,  I still feel like I'm the happiest person in the room.
I used to be the pesimistic/sarcastic soul of the group,  but no more.
I'm finding myself baffled about why everybody else seems so down. I don't think everyone else has changed,  so it must be me!
I'm not sure if it's the HRT or simply living an authentic life.
Physically,  hair growth may have slowed a tiny bit,  and my skin may also be a little softer. X

•  

KayXo

Great! Who cares why as long as it's positive, right?

On HRT since early 2004
Post-op since late 2005
  •  

Megan.

Indeed,  I'm just getting paranoid that karma is going to come along and give me a good seeing to!

•