Susan's Place Logo

News:

Based on internal web log processing I show 3,417,511 Users made 5,324,115 Visits Accounting for 199,729,420 pageviews and 8.954.49 TB of data transfer for 2017, all on a little over $2,000 per month.

Help support this website by Donating or Subscribing! (Updated)

Main Menu

HRT observations

Started by Megan., July 28, 2017, 12:50:36 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Megan.

Quote from: DawnOday on January 23, 2018, 07:47:29 PM
So wonderful you are finding yourself. I sympathize with all the cover up, lies, self doubt and depression.  And now you are on your way to who you have always been.   Here is an article about using castor oil for hair growth. I've been using it on my eyelashes and it works.  https://wellnessmama.com/35706/castor-oil-hair/  Hey what you go to lose?  >:-)

Tnx hun, I did castor/coconut/olive oil hair masks early on,  while I was growing my hair out; but I've been too lazy to do it of late [emoji23]

Sent from my MI 5s using Tapatalk

•  

Megan.

Update: To recap on this part of the thread, back in late October I experienced three episodes of haematospermia (blood in my ejaculate).
There followed GP appointments,  blood tests,  consultants, and an initial 'look see' with a camera up my urethra. While this did not find the cause of the blood (this may remain a forever mystery), it did reveal some narrow points along the urethra (strictures), the worst of which was at a position that would impact any possible future GRS surgery.
Last night I booked back into the hospital,  and they put me under GA to 'stretch' these narrow sections. All went well, and I write this waiting to be discharged to go home.
I've been catheterised for 5 days [emoji853], but otherwise am well.

Separately, on the HRT front, my breasts have been a bit more sore the last week, and might be having a bit of a growth spurt; this is around 7 months in on HRT.

•  

Kendra

Wow - best wishes for a full recovery, this sounds serious.  Sounds like you are getting good care. 
Assigned male at birth 1963.  Decided I wanted to be a girl in 1971.  Laser 2014-16, electrolysis 2015-17, HRT 7/2017, GCS 1/2018, VFS 3/2018, FFS 5/2018, Labiaplasty & BA 7/2018. 
  •  

Megan.

Quote from: Kendra on February 01, 2018, 09:52:45 AM
Wow - best wishes for a full recovery, this sounds serious.  Sounds like you are getting good care.
Tnx hun,  I'll be good, spirits are high! X

•  

RobynTx

Having to carry around a cath bag sucks.  Hope everything turns out alright.

•  

Laurie

Hi Megan,

I hope the stretching did it's job as planned and that something similar won't be needed again. I've had a catheter for several days myself and it really was a problem for me because they didn't want me out of bed anyway. I didn't even have to empty the dang thing. I thought it was funny afyer the removed it as that body part went into hiding for a few days and this was long before  I started HRT. I think it got scared.... Little does it know what may still be in store for it.

Hugs hun,
   Laurie
April 13, 2019 switched to estradiol valerate
December 20, 2018    Referral sent to OHSU Dr Dugi  for vaginoplasty consult
December 10, 2018    Second Letter VA Psychiatric Practical nurse
November 15, 2018    First letter from VA therapist
May 11, 2018 I am Laurie Jeanette Wickwire
May   3, 2018 Submitted name change forms
Aug 26, 2017 another increase in estradiol
Jun  26, 2017 Last day in male attire That's full time I guess
May 20, 2017 doubled estradiol
May 18, 2017 started electrolysis
Dec   4, 2016 Started estradiol and spironolactone

•  

Jessica

"If you go out looking for friends, you are going to find they are very scarce.  If you go out to be a friend, you'll find them everywhere."

•  

Jayne01

Hi Megan, I'm only getting short bursts of internet access, so only get a chance to reply to a few people at a time. I have been focusing my attention on a good friend who has been feeling down lately.

I wish you a full and quick recovery from the stretching procedure. Does that hurt? Sounds painful. You want things to be in the best possible shape for any future GRS (GCS? It has so many different names!). I've never had a catheter, it doesn't sound pleasant.

YAY! On the boob growth spurt!

Jayne
  •  

Kendra

Quote from: Jayne01 on February 01, 2018, 11:52:30 PM
> You want things to be in the best possible shape for any future GRS (GCS? It has so many different names!). I've never had a catheter, it doesn't sound pleasant.

I wrestled with the same terminology... I called it GRS for quite awhile but then noticed the forum/board name here is GCS.  Some have noted a Correction fits nicely with the mindset this aligns someone's body to their brain where a Revision might not.  SRS confuses me because my car's dashboard and steering wheel are labeled SRS (airbag). 

I wore a catheter Jan 18-26 and it wasn't that bad.  I hated the thought of taking a walk outside with a catheter bag, but there wasn't a bag once stepping out of bed - I was shown how to disconnect from the bag and cap the catheter, and remove the cap to use the bathroom.  I should mention my catheter involved post-GCS anatomy.  I imagine a catheter with pre-GCS anatomy might be more difficult or painful. 
Assigned male at birth 1963.  Decided I wanted to be a girl in 1971.  Laser 2014-16, electrolysis 2015-17, HRT 7/2017, GCS 1/2018, VFS 3/2018, FFS 5/2018, Labiaplasty & BA 7/2018. 
  •  

Megan.

Update: My 5 days with the catheter was terrible, my glans became hypersensitive, and just moving a little was extremely uncomfortable, so I spent 5 days on the sofa with Netflix;  I was very glad to have it removed which happened on Monday. The consultant found no specific cause for the original bleeding, so that'll be a little mystery!

Last night I met with the consultant to review things. He confirmed that I will have to dilate alternate days (only 5 minutes with a catheter) on an ongoing basis to help with the strictures and to prevent them getting any worse. He said that I have significant scaring along my urethra (probably from hypospadia repairs I had as a child) and that reconstructive surgery may well be required at a later date.

I now find myself in a slightly amusing sittutation:
I can dilate then (possibly) have surgery to keep what I don't really want.
Or have GRS then dilate to have what I'd prefer.

Up until this point I'd be very uncertain if I wanted a vaginoplasty, but faced with at least the chance of surgery regardless, I'm now leaning heavily that way.

This all sounds terrible,  but I'm fine, I never had an issue with medical stuff and my body, it's an adventure!

If anyone has any specific questions about any of the above please PM me. X

•  

Jayne01

Quote from: Megan. on February 10, 2018, 03:42:07 AM
Update: My 5 days with the catheter was terrible, my glans became hypersensitive, and just moving a little was extremely uncomfortable, so I spent 5 days on the sofa with Netflix;  I was very glad to have it removed which happened on Monday. The consultant found no specific cause for the original bleeding, so that'll be a little mystery!

Last night I met with the consultant to review things. He confirmed that I will have to dilate alternate days (only 5 minutes with a catheter) on an ongoing basis to help with the strictures and to prevent them getting any worse. He said that I have significant scaring along my urethra (probably from hypospadia repairs I had as a child) and that reconstructive surgery may well be required at a later date.

I now find myself in a slightly amusing sittutation:
I can dilate then (possibly) have surgery to keep what I don't really want.
Or have GRS then dilate to have what I'd prefer.

Up until this point I'd be very uncertain if I wanted a vaginoplasty, but faced with at least the chance of surgery regardless, I'm now leaning heavily that way.

This all sounds terrible,  but I'm fine, I never had an issue with medical stuff and my body, it's an adventure!

If anyone has any specific questions about any of the above please PM me. X

Sorry you had those 5 unpleasant days with the catheter.

I've had dreams of doctors telling me that I need surgery down below. If you need to dilate and have surgery, it may as well be for what you want instead of maintaining what you don't want.

I'm glad you are ok and are keeping a positive attitude whichever way you choose to go.

Jayne
  •  

Roll

Just had to say I love the new profile picture!!
~ Ellie
■■■■■■■■■■■■■■■■■■■■■■■■■■■■■■■■■■■■■■■■■■■■■
I ALWAYS WELCOME PMs!
(I made the s lowercase so it didn't look as much like PMS... ;D)

An Open Letter to anyone suffering from anxiety, particularly those afraid to make your first post or continue posting!

8/30/17 - First Therapy! The road begins in earnest.
10/20/17 - First coming out (to my father)!
12/16/17 - BEGAN HRT!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
5/21/18 - FIRST DAY OUT AS ME!!!!!!!!!
6/08/18 - 2,250 Hair Grafts
6/23/18 - FIRST PRIDE!
8/06/18 - 100%, completely out!
9/08/18 - I'M IN LOVE!!!!
2/27/19 - Name Change!

•  

Megan.

Quote from: Jayne01 on February 10, 2018, 10:22:33 AM
... I've had dreams of doctors telling me that I need surgery down below...

Jayne

Yup, I can relate to this, and I suspect many others here. I can promise the reality isn't so glamourus!

I think it would be a healthier choice to make willingly without any duress. I still have many months until any final choice is made, but I'm now 10 months into full-time,  with no desire to detransition (aside the usual external influences).

Megan. X

•  

Megan.

Quote from: Roll on February 10, 2018, 10:41:46 AM
Just had to say I love the new profile picture!!
Tnx hun. I took down my old pic, but it felt odd not having one, so that's just a quick snap. [emoji4]

•  

TonyaW

Quote from: Kendra on February 02, 2018, 09:42:57 AM
I wrestled with the same terminology... I called it GRS for quite awhile but then noticed the forum/board name here is GCS.  Some have noted a Correction fits nicely with the mindset this aligns someone's body to their brain where a Revision might not.  SRS confuses me because my car's dashboard and steering wheel are labeled SRS (airbag). 

I saw Marci Bowers say gender affirmation  would be a better term than gender confirmation.  She said it's not used since it shortens to GAS and nobody wants gas. 

Might have been from that Katie Couric special. 

Sent from my SM-G930V using Tapatalk

•  

Bari Jo

Thanks for this update Megan.  I bet I have the same issue.  I wasn't sure if I wanted GCS when starting to transition, but the more I'm on hrt, the more i want it.  Plus if I can avoid a catheter then heck yes!  I didn't say before,/after but I like the new pict too.  I know you say it's just a quick snap, but pretty and confident!

Bari Jo
you know how far the universe extends outward? i think i go inside just as deep.

10/11/18 - out to the whole world.  100% friends and family support.
11/6/17 - came out to sister, best day of my life
9/5/17 - formal diagnosis and stopping DIY in favor if prescribed HRT
6/18/17 - decided to stop fighting the trans beast, back on DIY.
Too many ups and downs, DIY, purges of self inbetween dates.
Age 10 - suppression and denial began
Age 8 - knew I was different
  •  

Megan.

I've started a new GRS thread to track my experiences on that journey below.

https://www.susans.org/forums/index.php?topic=234607.0

X.

•  

Megan.

It appears (frustratingly) that the one part of me in excellent condition is my liver. After a second increase in my oral E dose,  my levels are still only 252pmol/L; below the preferred level of 300pmol/L by the NHS GICs.
The silver lining is that the slightly elevated liver test (aminotransferase) result from before is now comfortably back in range, so the HRT isn't seemingly doing any harm.

My plan will be to go back to my GP and talk about alternative delivery methods,  patches,  gel, implants etc...

I've tried patches before and been happy, the only question will now be the dose level as Oral and Transdermal do not equate.

Will update here on outcomes... X

•  

steph2.0

Quote from: Megan. on March 02, 2018, 01:29:42 AM
It appears (frustratingly) that the one part of me in excellent condition is my liver. After a second increase in my oral E dose,  my levels are still only 252pmol/L; below the preferred level of 300pmol/L by the NHS GICs.
The silver lining is that the slightly elevated liver test (aminotransferase) result from before is now comfortably back in range, so the HRT isn't seemingly doing any harm.

My plan will be to go back to my GP and talk about alternative delivery methods,  patches,  gel, implants etc...

I've tried patches before and been happy, the only question will now be the dose level as Oral and Transdermal do not equate.

Will update here on outcomes... X

It's great to see you posting again, Megan. I love the new avatar!

- Stephanie

Assigned male at birth 1958 * Began envying sister 1963 * Knew unquestioningly that I was female 1968 * Acted the male part for 50 years * Meltdown and first therapist session May 2017 * Began HRT 6/21/17 * Out to the world 10/13/17 * Name Change 12/7/2017 (Girl Harbor Day) * FFS With FacialTeam 12/4/2018 * Facelift and Lipo Body Sculpting at Ocean Clinic 6/13-14/2019 * GCS with Marci Bowers 9/25/2019
  •  

KayXo

Quote from: Megan. on March 02, 2018, 01:29:42 AMAfter a second increase in my oral E dose,  my levels are still only 252pmol/L

Isn't the more important question: are you getting good results on your current dose, as in some breast growth, good feminization overall, feeling good mentally?

Levels fluctuate so could well be over 300, for several hours of the day, your sensitivity may be that you respond well to lower levels and on oral E, your higher levels of estrone sulfate, estrone and SHBG relative to ciswomen end up giving you sufficient estrogenic effects as estrone sulfate, estrone convert to estradiol in your cells and more T is bound and made unavailable by high SHBG.

Food for thought...as always, follow doctor's orders. ;)
I am not a medical doctor, nor a scientist - opinions expressed by me on the subject of HRT are merely based on my own review of some of the scientific literature over the last decade or so, on anecdotal evidence from women in various discussion forums that I have come across, and my personal experience

On HRT since early 2004
Post-op since late 2005
  •