Susan's Place Logo

News:

According to Google Analytics 25,259,719 users made visits accounting for 140,758,117 Pageviews since December 2006

Main Menu

Hair loss

Started by Kaylee H., August 07, 2017, 04:34:37 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Kaylee H.

Hi, I have been dealing with hair loss for a while now. I've been trying to stay on top of it. At first, I thought that I was at least keeping it at bay and that it at least wasn't getting worse, but now I'm not too sure. I'm taking biotin to help as well as using Rogaine and I'm still worried. I was taking finasteride prescribed by my doctor, but I stopped taking it as I had my bottom surgery about 12 weeks ago and no longer needed it. Att least I thought I no longer needed it as I haven't been back to that doctor yet. Now I feel like the same hair care routine may no longer be working. I feel like I have more hair in my comb and brush than I used to have and it's very nerve wracking. Has anyone else had similar issues?
  •  

Lanala

Am having the same problem since starting HRT and am hoping not to end up looking like George Costanza!!  Yikes!!   Am taking biotin as well and just starting keranique so we'll see!
  •  

Laurie

Quote from: Lanala on October 02, 2017, 09:32:10 PM
Am having the same problem since starting HRT and am hoping not to end up looking like George Costanza!!  Yikes!!   Am taking biotin as well and just starting keranique so we'll see!

Hey, Lanala, I see that you are new here. So please let me say, Welcome To Susan's Place! Come on in and take a good look around.  Perhaps I can even get you to hop on over to the Introductions Thread and  create a post to tell us a little bit more about yourself so we can get to know you a little better and greet you properly.

Also I'll add some links and information below that can help you get more out of our site. Please take time to become familiar with them especially the RED one as we are always getting questions that are answered there.

Laurie
Global Moderator

QuoteA Cautionary Note:
This is a public forum so please remember when posting that The Internet Never Forgets, and the various web crawlers and archival sites out there may retain information that you post.

We cannot ensure that any information you share on the site will be protected from public view and/or copying or reproduction. This warning is also listed in the Terms of Service listed below.

If you give out personal information on Susan's you are responsible for any consequence.

I also want to share some links with you. They include helpful information and the rules that govern the site.  It is important for your enjoyment of the site to take a moment to go through them

Things that you should read

April 13, 2019 switched to estradiol valerate
December 20, 2018    Referral sent to OHSU Dr Dugi  for vaginoplasty consult
December 10, 2018    Second Letter VA Psychiatric Practical nurse
November 15, 2018    First letter from VA therapist
May 11, 2018 I am Laurie Jeanette Wickwire
May   3, 2018 Submitted name change forms
Aug 26, 2017 another increase in estradiol
Jun  26, 2017 Last day in male attire That's full time I guess
May 20, 2017 doubled estradiol
May 18, 2017 started electrolysis
Dec   4, 2016 Started estradiol and spironolactone

•  

barbie

Quote from: Kaylee H. on August 07, 2017, 04:34:37 AM
Now I feel like the same hair care routine may no longer be working. I feel like I have more hair in my comb and brush than I used to have and it's very nerve wracking. Has anyone else had similar issues?

Yes. I have been like you, taking finasteride and spraying Minoxidil for several years to prevent further hair loss. As my hair became longer, they became more noticeable. Everyday I see more than 30 hairs in the floors of my office and house. I cleaned them by a Robotic vacuum cleaner once or twice per week. When I empty the small box of the cleaner, I see a bunch of my hairs. I realized how many hairs loose and grow again every day and every month. The amount of my hairs I empty from the cleaner for a month is huge.

Certainly aging is a factor, but my hair condition is far better than most of my male friends at my age (53). I am considering having my hair cut short, which I have done once every 3-4 years. When your hair is short, the combings will be less noticeable, probably helping prevent hair loss a little bit.

barbie~~
Just do it.
  •  

Jenntrans

Quote from: barbie on October 04, 2017, 03:04:40 AM
Yes. I have been like you, taking finasteride and spraying Minoxidil for several years to prevent further hair loss. As my hair became longer, they became more noticeable. Everyday I see more than 30 hairs in the floors of my office and house. I cleaned them by a Robotic vacuum cleaner once or twice per week. When I empty the small box of the cleaner, I see a bunch of my hairs. I realized how many hairs loose and grow again every day and every month. The amount of my hairs I empty from the cleaner for a month is huge.

Certainly aging is a factor, but my hair condition is far better than most of my male friends at my age (53). I am considering having my hair cut short, which I have done once every 3-4 years. When your hair is short, the combings will be less noticeable, probably helping prevent hair loss a little bit.

barbie~~

Hair fall is normal. The longer the hair the more noticeable and then hair breakage is normal too. Roughly and I truly believe it is right but maybe understated, about 100 hairs fall our per day. Hair loss is when the new hairs stop growing out of the follicle. There are some natural rememdies such as herbal supplements that may suppress the DHT which if I am not mistaken causes MPB.

But normal hair fall and breakage is totally normal for men and women. The longer the hair the more noticeable. But brushes in wet hair is bad and always shampoo and condition. I use Garnier Sleek and Shine. Then I use Frizz Ease to make it even less resistance to a comb when wet. I have never had problems with split ends. That sounds strange I know but I use a lot of conditioner and leave it in the whole time I shave my legs and underarms in the shower and then rinse with cool water. I have wavy/curly hair and usually use my fingers instead of a wide tooth comb.

But now one option is a really good wig. You can get the lace fronts with a normal looking hairline or get a glue on wig with bangs and the sides. My hair is turning grayer and have colored it so much and cut it into a bob but now wigs? I have 20 of them from 40 dollar synthetics to 200 dollar human hair and some even lace fronts. Some are glue on even and can sleep in them if I want. There are many options. Now when my hair gets long enough with virgin hair I will probably get another bob to cut off the old and start coloring again.

But one good way to hide hair loss or a receding hairline is bangs. Another good way to protect your hair is parting it in different places. Parting the same old place every time will stress the hair closer to the part. But sometimes the shape of the hair in the front adds a little more "volume". But play around with it. Bangs do look good and can hide a higher forehead too. Plus there is a sort of mysteriousness there too and a little something to hide behind.

Long hair is heavy so think of layers to add lift to the top. Think of a shoulder or just below the shoulder bob to take off some weight. If you are experiencing a receding hairline and taking the medication to regrow then think about bangs. That hides the forehead and adds and little air of mystery. Personally I love bangs. I have bangs and my hairline is fine. I just like them. Curly or straightened but let a professional cut them because it is way too easy to end up with baby bangs. I prefer mine even with the brow line.

But the crown is a little different and if you are experiencing hair los there then go to a good wig shop Believe me, they won't care if you are trans or not if you buy multiple or one expensive wig.

I hope this helps a little.
  •