Susan's Place Logo

News:

Visit our Discord server  and Wiki

Main Menu

Phalloplasty with Dr. Bluebond-Langner at NYU OR Dr. Ting at Mt Sinai?

Started by transnomad, August 22, 2017, 04:42:44 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

transnomad

CMD042414: sorry to hear that! OMG that is beyond frustrating... It took me well over 1.5 years to coordinate all the necessary letters and appointments so I completely understand. Waiting and waiting...it's such a process! Well, good luck and keep us posted!
  •  

icesolidmind

Quote from: transnomad on September 19, 2017, 11:58:38 AM
Apologize for the delay! It's official...I have chosen Dr. Ting & the team at Mt Sinai, NYC to perform my phalloplasty! My surgery date is January 31st, 2018. After meeting with Dr. Ting & his (amazing) team numerous times (almost all are trans men & women btw!!)...without question, I want his new form of phalloplasty. It works for me/my body & I couldn't be more pumped. His technique doesn't have an official name yet but it takes skin from the labia (sorry, hate that word but need to explain) and the surrounding genital area to form the phallus and scrotum. The scrotum is made with skin tissue rather than "implants" so they are softer. NYC Medicaid will be paying for my entire surgery along with multiple sessions of electrolysis.

I had my first session last week and it was extremely painful. You put on numbing cream an hour prior, then arrive & they stick 3 thick needles up your privates to completely numb the entire genital area. I have no needle fears...but let me just say, this was by far - the most painful experience ever. But then once that's over (& your entire genital area is swollen!!) you have 2 hours of hair removal. Thankfully by a beautiful & sweet trans woman who made my experience so much better! It's not easy but they do this so the hair removal process goes quicker (over a 3-4 month period)...and the machine is put on a much higher level so less visits are needed. It's smart of them -- but not easy. Thankfully you are in a very trans-friendly medical environment.

If you have any questions for me regarding Dr. Ting's new phalloplasty procedure... please ask & I'll try to provide information. I did see post-op photos and it's awesome. There will be a row of stitches on the top of my penis because of how the skin is formed and attached. And I do know they take a nerve/muscle from the abdominal area. I have a little drawing if someone wants to see that.

Keep you posted on my journey... thank you for all your advice... really awesome guys here on this forum.

Awesome! I'd love to see the drawing. As I mentioned before, I've been referred to Mt. Sinai as well and am looking forward to getting phallo done. I recently had a hysterectomy as well but at Yale. Any info is much appreciated. Also, you mentioned the new technique was best for your body type, what kind of body type do you think this works best on? Thanks and feel free to PM me.
  •  

JHeron

This is so exciting! Just saw an upload on Transbucket of Dr Ting's technique and I've got to say it looks fantastic and apparently his phalloplastys are able to retain "turgor" afterwards? Fascinating stuff, please keep us updated if possible and best of luck.
Suffering -- had given her a heart to understand what my heart used to be.
  •  

transnomad

JHeron: agree...this new technique is so exciting!! Yes, Dr Ting uploaded some photos on Transbucket & I'm really excited to have my surgery in January! Keep you posted...

icesolidmind: "...you mentioned the new technique was best for your body type, what kind of body type do you think this works best on?" To answer your question... I'll try not to be too graphic, but I kind of have to...in order to explain. I don't mind sharing. T created growth down there (for me) in my "labia" / surrounding area as well. I can't explain it but the skin itself also feels different as well. Even my girlfriend can't believe how things have changed "down there" in the past 1.5 years for me. So Dr Ting said that his procedure "fit my body" because there's enough skin to work with for everything I've requested. Feel free to PM as well...
  •  

SaerJoe

Quote from: transnomad on September 21, 2017, 10:17:39 AM
CMD042414: Cool, let me know how your meeting goes... yes probably penis size varies based on numerous factors, including how much skin is in your genital area. But I saw photos & they were the ideal size for me. Not to get graphic, but I have enough skin down there thankfully so Dr. Ting felt very confident that the surgery would fit nicely with my body. I guess it all depends and since it's a new procedure...there's some aspects they won't know until surgery. Good luck!!

This sounds very interesting!  Would love to see the drawing if you could message.  I am doing consults w Dr Miro in NYC (although he has no OR privileges at Mt Sinai, he is teaching there) 11/3 and Dr BL 12/4.  I also wonder about the pedicle flap procedure?  I understand it is often accomplished without UL.  Does anyone know about this procedure? 

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
  •  

transnomad

@JHeron

Thanks for your message. It's so odd...but I'm unable to reply to any private messages??? Is this because I'm new? I checked all my settings & logged on/off a few times. There's no "reply" button anywhere.

Perhaps you guys know what I can do.

Anyhow, I have Health First Medicaid here in NYC. But as far as I know, Mt Sinai takes all medicaid patients for trans-related surgeries. I'd highly suggest calling the Trans center at Mt Sinai and asking them further questions. I don't know anything about Jersey health insurance or NJ Medicaid. I only know NYC...& all this is very new for this state.

Keep me posted & hopefully I can respond to private messages soon.
  •  

Dena

You where given the rules here and somewhere in them you will discover you need 15 quality posts before features like profile and PM unlock. More features come at higher post counts but 15 is the magic number for most of them.
Rebirth Date 1982 - PMs are welcome - Use [email]dena@susans.org[/email] or Discord if your unable to PM - Skype is available - My Transition
If you are helped by this site, consider leaving a tip in the jar at the bottom of the page or become a subscriber
  •  

JHeron

Quote from: transnomad on October 20, 2017, 05:41:48 PM
@JHeron

Thanks for your message. It's so odd...but I'm unable to reply to any private messages??? Is this because I'm new? I checked all my settings & logged on/off a few times. There's no "reply" button anywhere.

Perhaps you guys know what I can do.

Anyhow, I have Health First Medicaid here in NYC. But as far as I know, Mt Sinai takes all medicaid patients for trans-related surgeries. I'd highly suggest calling the Trans center at Mt Sinai and asking them further questions. I don't know anything about Jersey health insurance or NJ Medicaid. I only know NYC...& all this is very new for this state.

Keep me posted & hopefully I can respond to private messages soon.
Oh wow that's great to hear, maybe their Dept. can help my Medicaid company jump through the necessary hoops. Appreciate the response   :D  and best of luck in Jan.
  •  

orangealicious

•  

CMD042414

Had my intake appointment with Dr. Ting's team at Mt. Sinai yesterday so I thought I'd revive this thread. His new technique is very interesting and if possible for me would be awesome. The idea of having a penis made of my own genital skin and tissue is phenomenal. The amount of sensation is unimaginable. Immediate feeling from base to tip. Ting can do glansplasty and UL too.

3 stages with only one that requires a hospital stay if I heard correctly. Stage 1 is just making the incisions so you go home same day (I think) with stitches tracing the tissue that will be used. This allows important blood flow to the area. Stage 2 is construction of the phallus, vaginectomy, scrotoplasty, and UL. It's a beast though! 4 weeks you have to stay in the NYC area! A direct quote is 100% chance of a fistula so they want you close to fix stuff asap. Stage 3 would be glansplasty.

A piece of abdominal muscle is used inside of the phallus so that is why you may not need an erectile implant. However you can still opt for one if you choose. Probably adds a 4th stage. He does not offer MLD which sucks because that is what I really want.

I live about 2.5 hours from NY so staying there for 4 weeks would be a bitch. They release patients to a nursing care facility if insurance covers it. That would be the only way i could make it work. Also the electrolysis appointments being in NY twice a month would be inconvenient as all hell. Anyway I hope to meet Ting no later than February and i will bring back more deets.
Started T: April 2014
Top Surgery: June 2014
Hysterectomy: August 2015
Phalloplasty: Stage 1-August 2018
  •  

JHeron

Hey, I wonder how long was the process of getting to Dr Ting was? I spoke to someone from the dept that told me  there's a meeting with a social worker, psych eval, physical, and i forget how ever many other appts before getting an eval with the Dr. Sounded pretty extensive so I'm curious.

Ps. There's a fb group dedicated to his procedure - he himself is a moderator on it and from what I've read though some movement and feeling in the phallus is certain he never says whether it''' be enough for any kind of penetration. Did he say otherwise during your time together? (that would crazy amazing)
  •  

CursedFireDean

Thanks for writing about that! I've been seeing a lot about Dr. Ting's technique recently and I'm curious to learn more. I'd love any further updates once you see him.

Check me out on instagram @flammamajor
  •  

CMD042414

Quote from: JHeron on November 04, 2017, 06:21:02 PM
Hey, I wonder how long was the process of getting to Dr Ting was? I spoke to someone from the dept that told me  there's a meeting with a social worker, psych eval, physical, and i forget how ever many other appts before getting an eval with the Dr. Sounded pretty extensive so I'm curious.

Ps. There's a fb group dedicated to his procedure - he himself is a moderator on it and from what I've read though some movement and feeling in the phallus is certain he never says whether it''' be enough for any kind of penetration. Did he say otherwise during your time together? (that would crazy amazing)
I booked the intake I just had back in early September. Because i am from out of town they made sure to schedule all 3 appointments in one day for me, back to back. If you want to separate them you can probably get in sooner. I met with his Nurse Practitioner, a social worker and the psychiatrist. They come together as a team at the end of the week I guess to tall about each case and recommend who is ready for surgery. Once you are forwarded to Ting they contact you to see him. I've been told that appointment will most likely not be until February. I have not heard from thw team yet. It has been a week. For me that may be because they are waiting to talk to my oncologist first so for others it could be sooner.

To be honest all 3 meetings lasted maybe 10 minutes a piece for me. But I'm in my mid 30s, established, and independent with no major mental or emotional issues so I tend to get that at these consultations a lot.
  •  

Ryuichi13

Ilm going to be blunt.  I'm really interested in everything, and I'd love to see pics and whatnot of everything.

Is it possible to post links of everything you all are talking about?  I'd love to see relevant pics in order to make my own descisions on what I might want to do in the future.

Thanks so much!

Ryiuchi

Sent from my SM-G930P using Tapatalk

•  

CMD042414

Quote from: Ryuichi13 on November 15, 2017, 01:49:39 AM
Ilm going to be blunt.  I'm really interested in everything, and I'd love to see pics and whatnot of everything.

Is it possible to post links of everything you all are talking about?  I'd love to see relevant pics in order to make my own descisions on what I might want to do in the future.

Thanks so much!

Ryiuchi

I was shown the same pic I've seen on Transbucket. It is no longer there. I've been told Ting is active in a FB group and that's where to go but I don't do Social Media, besides this. When I meet with him I will be sure to get at least a sketch of the incisions and whatnot.

Not sure if I mentioned this but the Ting procedure has only been performed on 5 guys.
  •  

Ryuichi13

Quote from: CMD042414 on November 15, 2017, 05:57:08 PM
I was shown the same pic I've seen on Transbucket. It is no longer there. I've been told Ting is active in a FB group and that's where to go but I don't do Social Media, besides this. When I meet with him I will be sure to get at least a sketch of the incisions and whatnot.

Not sure if I mentioned this but the Ting procedure has only been performed on 5 guys.
Even a sketch is better than nothing.  Thanks!

Ryuichi

•  

Pao

Can anyone tell me what the FB group is called? I can find Dr.ting, but no groups. Thanks.
  •  

Sir Real

Quote from: Pao on December 15, 2017, 10:41:32 AM
Can anyone tell me what the FB group is called? I can find Dr.ting, but no groups. Thanks.

I've been wondering this too.

•  

JHeron

Message me if you guys want the link. I'm not sure if posting it on here is up to the guidelines..
  •  

RedSoxMichael

I'm really excited to hear about this new technique. Not so excited it depends on existing tissue because, well, I don't have a lot down there (which is why I'm not seriously considering meta). Dunno if someone could explain better?

RFF seems to be super popular right now but my feeling about taking skin from that site is a giant NOPE!!

I'd like more info on the testicles as well. I've wanted implants since I heard about them--is there a reason being squishy like a baby's scrotum is supposed to be better? Are the implants just hard to live with or something?
  •