Susan's Place Logo

News:

Visit our Discord server  and Wiki

Main Menu

Phalloplasty with Dr. Bluebond-Langner at NYU OR Dr. Ting at Mt Sinai?

Started by transnomad, August 22, 2017, 04:42:44 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

transnomad

Hello, I'm new to the site & this will be my first post.

After over a 2 years of research & appointments...I finally have my phalloplasty surgery date(s). Excited & thankful beyond words. NYC was very late to offering FTM surgeries -- so all of a sudden, two leaders in hospitals (Mt. Sinai & NYU) jumped at offering top surgeons.

Problem is, I now have 2 options -- both really great surgeons that will completely cover the cost/via medicaid. So, I need your advice.

The first is with Dr. Bluebond-Langner at NYU. My ALT phalloplasty surgery is scheduled for Nov 2017. She was amazing to meet and discuss options with. I was highly impressed.

Then...I had my hysterectomy with Mt Sinai last month (July 2017) & it went so well. And the team recommended I meet with Dr. Ting for a phalloplasty consultation...I was really expecting to go with Dr. BL at NYU...but hey, I thought it's always good to get another surgical opinion. So, I met with Dr. Ting a few weeks ago...& I was blown away!!

Not sure if anyone here is familiar with a new phalloplasty technique he has just created -- but there's no arm or thigh donor site. He uses skin from the labia & lower stomach. I return in a few weeks to get more specific details with the Mt Sinai surgical team. But I saw photos & I was really impressed...

Any advice? Anyone here had phalloplasty surgery with either surgeon? I finally have options here in NYC but I don't know who to choose. I have respect & trust in both. I'm leaning towards Dr. Ting at Mt Sinai...
  •  

FTMax

Dr. BL has done more phallos at this point than Dr. Ting, if experience matters to you.

I personally would not want to be one of the first few people getting a new version of anything, especially phalloplasty which is already very complicated. So if I chose Ting, I wouldn't go with his new offering. At least not until he had done at least a dozen of them successfully on other people.

I consulted with Dr. BL and would have gone to her had insurance cooperated. I also met Dr. Zhao and Dr. Weinberg (who are also involved in phallo at NYU) while I was in Serbia and they both seemed great. Haven't met Ting, but he was trained by my surgeon so gets bonus points for that from me.

It's a tough choice. If it were me, I'd consult with both and specifically ask about stages and aftercare. Dr. BL is very cautious and stretches these out into 3-5 stage ordeals, which would have been a deal breaker for me (I talked her down to 2-3 based on what I wanted). So if Ting would by default squeeze more into fewer stages, that would be a plus for me. And if either of them are better suited to coordinating your aftercare, I'd go with that one.
T: 12/5/2014 | Top: 4/21/2015 | Hysto: 2/6/2016 | Meta: 3/21/2017

I don't come here anymore, so if you need to get in touch send an email: maxdoeswork AT protonmail.com
  •  

Jacqueline

Welcome nomad,

Welcome and rest a little here.

Really good questions. Well outside my wheel house. However, Max is kind of our expert for you guys. If he doesn't know, he can help point you in the right direction. If you have the time, you might go to our introductions category so we can all get to know you better.

A Cautionary Note:
This is a public forum so please [remember when posting that The Internet Never Forgets, and the various web crawlers and archival sites out may retain information that you post.

We cannot ensure that any information you share on the site will be protected from public view and/or copying or reproduction. This warning is also listed in the Terms of Service listed below.

If you give out personal information on Susan's you are responsible for any consequence.

I also want to share some links with you. They include helpful information and the rules that govern the site. It is important for your enjoyment of the site to take a moment to go through them

Things that you should read

Once again, welcome to Susan's. Look around, ask questions and join in.

With warmth,

Jacqui
1st Therapy: February 2015
First Endo visit & HRT StartJanuary 29, 2016
Jacqueline from Joanna July 18, 2017
Full Time June 1, 2018

•  

transnomad

Thanks Max & Jacqui! I really appreciate your responses. I have a lot to consider & honestly I haven't decided yet. Hoping additional guys have had a similar experience to me...or surgery from one of them. I would imagine a lot of guys hoping or planning to have phalloplasty here in NYC.
  •  

CMD042414

With Ting's method I am assuming you need to clear hair from the stomach correct?
Started T: April 2014
Top Surgery: June 2014
Hysterectomy: August 2015
Phalloplasty: Stage 1-August 2018
  •  

CMD042414

I was set with Dr. B-L last month but found out I have cancer so now they are making me wait until next summer but only if I stay cancer free, which may be a long shot. I am now not so keen on her 5 stages, too.

I have an intake with Ting's office late next month, psych eval and all. After that I would meet with him. He is booked for phallo through late spring 2018. So if you want to have surgery sooner rather than later you may want to stick to Dr. B-L.
  •  

Bimmer Guy

Dr B-L for the reasons Max said. Her experience, and this idea of a new phallo I wouldn't trust. A new method created by a surgeon new to trans surgery?  No way for me.
I met B-L. She fit me in after I had to get a testicular implant removed due to infection (my surgeries were with Crane).  She was great. I'd go to her for surgery, for certain.
Level headed, smart, honest, direct. My kind of health provider.
Top Surgery: 10/10/13 (Garramone)
Testosterone: 9/9/14
Hysto: 10/1/15
Stage 1 Meta: 3/2/16 (including UL, Vaginectomy, Scrotoplasty), (Crane, CA)
Stage 2 Meta: 11/11/16 Testicular implants, phallus and scrotum repositioning, v-nectomy revision.  Additional: Lipo on sides of chest. (Crane, TX)
Fistula Repair 12/21/17 (UPenn Hospital,unsuccessful)
Fistula Repair 6/7/18 (Nikolavsky, successful)
Revision: 1/11/19 Replacement of eroded testicle,  mons resection, cosmetic work on scrotum (Crane, TX)

•  

SaerJoe

This is a great discussion going forward as I try to nail down my surgeon as well.  It's down to Crane (Austin, TX), Bluebond-Langner, or Dr Miro in Serbia.  Tough decisions, and for me--most experienced and successful surgeon will rule the day.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
  •  

Bimmer Guy

Quote from: CMD042414 on August 23, 2017, 09:28:32 AM
I was set with Dr. B-L last month but found out I have cancer so now they are making me wait until next summer but only if I stay cancer free, which may be a long shot. I am now not so keen on her 5 stages, too.

I have an intake with Ting's office late next month, psych eval and all. After that I would meet with him. He is booked for phallo through late spring 2018. So if you want to have surgery sooner rather than later you may want to stick to Dr. B-L.

I am sorry to hear about your cancer.  I had Stage 3 B colon cancer 7 years ago.  I went through 2 surgeries and 6 months of chemotherapy.  If you want to talk, give me a shout.  Hang in there.
Top Surgery: 10/10/13 (Garramone)
Testosterone: 9/9/14
Hysto: 10/1/15
Stage 1 Meta: 3/2/16 (including UL, Vaginectomy, Scrotoplasty), (Crane, CA)
Stage 2 Meta: 11/11/16 Testicular implants, phallus and scrotum repositioning, v-nectomy revision.  Additional: Lipo on sides of chest. (Crane, TX)
Fistula Repair 12/21/17 (UPenn Hospital,unsuccessful)
Fistula Repair 6/7/18 (Nikolavsky, successful)
Revision: 1/11/19 Replacement of eroded testicle,  mons resection, cosmetic work on scrotum (Crane, TX)

•  

SaerJoe

Quote from: FTMax on August 22, 2017, 06:13:15 PM
Dr. BL has done more phallos at this point than Dr. Ting, if experience matters to you.

I personally would not want to be one of the first few people getting a new version of anything, especially phalloplasty which is already very complicated. So if I chose Ting, I wouldn't go with his new offering. At least not until he had done at least a dozen of them successfully on other people.

I consulted with Dr. BL and would have gone to her had insurance cooperated. I also met Dr. Zhao and Dr. Weinberg (who are also involved in phallo at NYU) while I was in Serbia and they both seemed great. Haven't met Ting, but he was trained by my surgeon so gets bonus points for that from me.

It's a tough choice. If it were me, I'd consult with both and specifically ask about stages and aftercare. Dr. BL is very cautious and stretches these out into 3-5 stage ordeals, which would have been a deal breaker for me (I talked her down to 2-3 based on what I wanted). So if Ting would by default squeeze more into fewer stages, that would be a plus for me. And if either of them are better suited to coordinating your aftercare, I'd go with that one.

Max:  Does Doc BL do MLD donor sites?  I did visit NYU's website (as well as Crane) and requested a consult from them as I await more word from Doc Miro.  Dr Zhou likely does the urological work, no?  Lastly, does Dr BL do the histo, oopho, vaginectomy, or send folks to have that done first?  Like you--I'd like to have as few stages as is humanly possible.  (That sends me back to Miro!)

I'll be honest, I appreciate Dr Miro's website more than anything I've seen here stateside.  His site explains the surgery in great detail--almost a teaching site! 

Patiently (not so much) waiting....

•  

FTMax

Dr. BL will do just about any donor site you can dream of (and some you haven't) at last chat with her. I don't know if that has changed at all since her move to NYU. I talked to her when she was still at UMD and she had a lot of leeway there to do whatever was in the patient's best interest. Crane will do MLD but it is probably the donor site he has done the least of. That's not to say that BL is more experienced with MLD, because I don't know that that is true. But it is one of the least popular donor sites currently so it's tough to find anyone stateside with a lot of experience in it.

Zhao does all the urological work, and again, he was pretty fantastic. Also, don't know quite where you are in NY, but Dr. Nikolavsky in Syracuse is a urologist who regularly fixes issues with UL from other surgeons. Met him in Serbia as well, very sharp guy.

I'm not sure on the hysto question. I didn't ask since I already had mine done when I met with her, and I think most of the people I personally know who have gone to her have had theirs done in advance as well. I would call her office and ask if that needs to be done in advance. 9 times out of 10 in the US, for phalloplasty, the answer is going to be to get it done first and then come in. I have only met one phallo guy who is having his done simultaneously, and that is due to additional health issues and his doctor wanting to reduce the instances that he's subjected to anesthesia.
T: 12/5/2014 | Top: 4/21/2015 | Hysto: 2/6/2016 | Meta: 3/21/2017

I don't come here anymore, so if you need to get in touch send an email: maxdoeswork AT protonmail.com
  •  

CMD042414

Quote from: Bimmer Guy on August 28, 2017, 10:32:20 PM
I am sorry to hear about your cancer.  I had Stage 3 B colon cancer 7 years ago.  I went through 2 surgeries and 6 months of chemotherapy.  If you want to talk, give me a shout.  Hang in there.
Thanks!
  •  

transnomad

Thanks again for all your responses. There's a lot to consider.

Dr BL doesn't perform hysterectomies from what I discussed with her & her team a few months ago. So I chose Dr. Rodriguez (who is amazing!) at Mt Sinai, also here in NYC (100% covered with medicaid). I really have loved the new trans center at Mt Sinai...it's such an incredible resource with an entire team dedicated to trans surgeries, health, and mental wellness. If anyone here is based in NYC & hasn't checked it out...go make an appt.

On Sept 13th, I return to Mt Sinai for more details regarding Dr Ting's new phalloplasty procedure. I already met with him & again, I was very impressed (& saw photos). Many of you have expressed concern over a "new" technique, but honestly all surgeons in this field (including Crane) have spent many years altering & improving each method, with every patient. New techniques happen all the time.

I still haven't decided what surgeon I will go with...& I think Dr BL is a highly skilled surgeon -- but the idea of using a large donor site is slowly becoming an outdated method (from what I've been told). There's obviously pros & cons to all surgeries -- no question about it. But if there's a new phalloplasty procedure that doesn't involve taking a donor site from my arm or thigh, I would be pumped & more than willing to research...& be open to learning about such a procedure. I believe I'd be his 15th patient come Jan 2018 if I choose him.

I'll update everyone once I gather even more details on the 13th. Side frustration: Dr BL's team hasn't returned any of my calls or emails & my surgery is scheduled for Nov 2017. They also don't facilitate or offer hair removal at their offices (thus, not covered by medicaid, ugh). Not a huge deal, but frustrating in that it's quite expensive here in Manhattan. Mt Sinai offers all hair removal, schedules all appts with the patient directly & 100% covered by medicaid.

Many fear advancements & new techniques, but I personally find it awesome. Many years from now, phalloplasty will be even more highly advanced. It's already come so far...

Still deciding...& I'm happy to listen to your thoughts...thanks
  •  

CMD042414

Quote from: transnomad on August 30, 2017, 10:30:10 AM
Thanks again for all your responses. There's a lot to consider.

Dr BL doesn't perform hysterectomies from what I discussed with her & her team a few months ago. So I chose Dr. Rodriguez (who is amazing!) at Mt Sinai, also here in NYC (100% covered with medicaid). I really have loved the new trans center at Mt Sinai...it's such an incredible resource with an entire team dedicated to trans surgeries, health, and mental wellness. If anyone here is based in NYC & hasn't checked it out...go make an appt.

On Sept 13th, I return to Mt Sinai for more details regarding Dr Ting's new phalloplasty procedure. I already met with him & again, I was very impressed (& saw photos). Many of you have expressed concern over a "new" technique, but honestly all surgeons in this field (including Crane) have spent many years altering & improving each method, with every patient. New techniques happen all the time.

I still haven't decided what surgeon I will go with...& I think Dr BL is a highly skilled surgeon -- but the idea of using a large donor site is slowly becoming an outdated method (from what I've been told). There's obviously pros & cons to all surgeries -- no question about it. But if there's a new phalloplasty procedure that doesn't involve taking a donor site from my arm or thigh, I would be pumped & more than willing to research...& be open to learning about such a procedure. I believe I'd be his 15th patient come Jan 2018 if I choose him.

I'll update everyone once I gather even more details on the 13th. Side frustration: Dr BL's team hasn't returned any of my calls or emails & my surgery is scheduled for Nov 2017. They also don't facilitate or offer hair removal at their offices (thus, not covered by medicaid, ugh). Not a huge deal, but frustrating in that it's quite expensive here in Manhattan. Mt Sinai offers all hair removal, schedules all appts with the patient directly & 100% covered by medicaid.

Many fear advancements & new techniques, but I personally find it awesome. Many years from now, phalloplasty will be even more highly advanced. It's already come so far...

Still deciding...& I'm happy to listen to your thoughts...thanks

Is the September 13th appointment with Ting or the intake folks? I have a trio of back to back appointments for intake on the 20th but I don't actually meet with him until sometime after.
  •  

icesolidmind

Wow, thanks for all this info, I was actually recently referred to Mt. Sinai for Phallo. Glad to hear about this new technique.
  •  

transnomad

Apologize for the delay! It's official...I have chosen Dr. Ting & the team at Mt Sinai, NYC to perform my phalloplasty! My surgery date is January 31st, 2018. After meeting with Dr. Ting & his (amazing) team numerous times (almost all are trans men & women btw!!)...without question, I want his new form of phalloplasty. It works for me/my body & I couldn't be more pumped. His technique doesn't have an official name yet but it takes skin from the labia (sorry, hate that word but need to explain) and the surrounding genital area to form the phallus and scrotum. The scrotum is made with skin tissue rather than "implants" so they are softer. NYC Medicaid will be paying for my entire surgery along with multiple sessions of electrolysis.

I had my first session last week and it was extremely painful. You put on numbing cream an hour prior, then arrive & they stick 3 thick needles up your privates to completely numb the entire genital area. I have no needle fears...but let me just say, this was by far - the most painful experience ever. But then once that's over (& your entire genital area is swollen!!) you have 2 hours of hair removal. Thankfully by a beautiful & sweet trans woman who made my experience so much better! It's not easy but they do this so the hair removal process goes quicker (over a 3-4 month period)...and the machine is put on a much higher level so less visits are needed. It's smart of them -- but not easy. Thankfully you are in a very trans-friendly medical environment.

If you have any questions for me regarding Dr. Ting's new phalloplasty procedure... please ask & I'll try to provide information. I did see post-op photos and it's awesome. There will be a row of stitches on the top of my penis because of how the skin is formed and attached. And I do know they take a nerve/muscle from the abdominal area. I have a little drawing if someone wants to see that.

Keep you posted on my journey... thank you for all your advice... really awesome guys here on this forum.
  •  

CMD042414

Quote from: transnomad on September 19, 2017, 11:58:38 AM
Apologize for the delay! It's official...I have chosen Dr. Ting & the team at Mt Sinai, NYC to perform my phalloplasty! My surgery date is January 31st, 2018. After meeting with Dr. Ting & his (amazing) team numerous times (almost all are trans men & women btw!!)...without question, I want his new form of phalloplasty. It works for me/my body & I couldn't be more pumped. His technique doesn't have an official name yet but it takes skin from the labia (sorry, hate that word but need to explain) and the surrounding genital area to form the phallus and scrotum. The scrotum is made with skin tissue rather than "implants" so they are softer. NYC Medicaid will be paying for my entire surgery along with multiple sessions of electrolysis.

I had my first session last week and it was extremely painful. You put on numbing cream an hour prior, then arrive & they stick 3 thick needles up your privates to completely numb the entire genital area. I have no needle fears...but let me just say, this was by far - the most painful experience ever. But then once that's over (& your entire genital area is swollen!!) you have 2 hours of hair removal. Thankfully by a beautiful & sweet trans woman who made my experience so much better! It's not easy but they do this so the hair removal process goes quicker (over a 3-4 month period)...and the machine is put on a much higher level so less visits are needed. It's smart of them -- but not easy. Thankfully you are in a very trans-friendly medical environment.

If you have any questions for me regarding Dr. Ting's new phalloplasty procedure... please ask & I'll try to provide information. I did see post-op photos and it's awesome. There will be a row of stitches on the top of my penis because of how the skin is formed and attached. And I do know they take a nerve/muscle from the abdominal area. I have a little drawing if someone wants to see that.

Keep you posted on my journey... thank you for all your advice... really awesome guys here on this forum.
This is interesting. I have an intake with them tomorrow actually. Although I now want MLD this sounds cool. But I wouldn't be surprised if it limits penis size. That's an issue for me.
  •  

transnomad

CMD042414: Cool, let me know how your meeting goes... yes probably penis size varies based on numerous factors, including how much skin is in your genital area. But I saw photos & they were the ideal size for me. Not to get graphic, but I have enough skin down there thankfully so Dr. Ting felt very confident that the surgery would fit nicely with my body. I guess it all depends and since it's a new procedure...there's some aspects they won't know until surgery. Good luck!!
  •  

CMD042414

Well I live 2.5 hours away. Got half way there and the office calls to say one of the 3 clinicians I was seeing called out sick. Needless to say I was and still am pissed off. The next opening isn't until November. Only after that appointment do I see Dr. Ting and that is 3-4 months wait. So yea right now I am not to keen on Mt. Sinai. I now want MLD and not ALT so I am probably going to wait for Dr. Rumer to get up and running here in Philadelphia. That way I can be at home.
  •  

SaerJoe

Quote from: FTMax on August 29, 2017, 02:12:35 PM
Dr. BL will do just about any donor site you can dream of (and some you haven't) at last chat with her. I don't know if that has changed at all since her move to NYU. I talked to her when she was still at UMD and she had a lot of leeway there to do whatever was in the patient's best interest. Crane will do MLD but it is probably the donor site he has done the least of. That's not to say that BL is more experienced with MLD, because I don't know that that is true. But it is one of the least popular donor sites currently so it's tough to find anyone stateside with a lot of experience in it.

Zhao does all the urological work, and again, he was pretty fantastic. Also, don't know quite where you are in NY, but Dr. Nikolavsky in Syracuse is a urologist who regularly fixes issues with UL from other surgeons. Met him in Serbia as well, very sharp guy.

I'm not sure on the hysto question. I didn't ask since I already had mine done when I met with her, and I think most of the people I personally know who have gone to her have had theirs done in advance as well. I would call her office and ask if that needs to be done in advance. 9 times out of 10 in the US, for phalloplasty, the answer is going to be to get it done first and then come in. I have only met one phallo guy who is having his done simultaneously, and that is due to additional health issues and his doctor wanting to reduce the instances that he's subjected to anesthesia.

FTMax:  Thanks for your info on this, and you are correct, Dr BL does require the hysto-oopho first prior to any phallo surgeries.  As luck would have it, I did get a response back from her office this week and have a consult set up on 12/4.  Their office is determining whether or not they are on my insurance provider list, and we'll go from there.  And just today, Dr Miro answered back and agreed to set up a consult when he is stateside in November (for his teaching stint I presume, at Mt Sinai), so I'm excited and nervous all at the same time!  While GCS seems likely in my future, it sure looks like wickedly painful surgery(ies) and long recovery periods.  I am not yet fully convinced that I want to include the UL surgery, as I just imagine so many complications over time with that whole set up.  I could be wrong and hope I am, but being lucky enough to have had a pretty healthy 54 years, I'm really not totally crazy about the idea of throwing myself in to the medical industrial complex --by choice, but the trade off is the lifetime of packers and glue (not great).  Seeing more photos of successful post-op aesthetics would surely help, and honestly, just meeting the practitioners as well--goes a long way.  Am thrilled to be moving forward.

•