Susan's Place Logo

News:

Please be sure to review The Site terms of service, and rules to live by

Main Menu

What's the nastiest food you remember from your childhood?

Started by Julia1996, September 08, 2017, 05:23:03 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Deborah

Quote from: Steph2.0 on September 08, 2017, 08:20:04 PM
Oh, I've always liked disparagus!

What I didn't like was sauerkraut over mashed potatoes, liver and onions, or bottom-of-the-barrel, ralph-inducing... scrapple!

Blort

Stephanie
I had scrapple once.  And you're right, it is pretty gross!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Love is not obedience, conformity, or submission. It is a counterfeit love that is contingent upon authority, punishment, or reward. True love is respect and admiration, compassion and kindness, freely given by a healthy, unafraid human being....  - Dan Barker

U.S. Army Retired
  •  

steph2.0

Quote from: Deborah on September 08, 2017, 08:21:13 PM

I had scrapple once.

Once is the operative word. It's not likely you'll hear, "Seconds, please!"

Steph

Assigned male at birth 1958 * Began envying sister 1963 * Knew unquestioningly that I was female 1968 * Acted the male part for 50 years * Meltdown and first therapist session May 2017 * Began HRT 6/21/17 * Out to the world 10/13/17 * Name Change 12/7/2017 (Girl Harbor Day) * FFS With FacialTeam 12/4/2018 * Facelift and Lipo Body Sculpting at Ocean Clinic 6/13-14/2019 * GCS with Marci Bowers 9/25/2019
  •  

Julia1996

Quote from: Dena on September 08, 2017, 08:36:06 PM
There are two ways to eat Okra. You can boil it and then the best thing to do with it is to throw it away unless it part of another dish and used as a thicker. The other way is cut it into half inch by half inch strips, coat it in a batter and deep fat fry it like fish, onion rings or french fries. When it's properly cooked, I prefer it to french fries though it's a tough call against onion rings. If you want a little extra flavor, use ranch style dressing as a dipping sauce.

I can't even imagine battering and frying it. I had to google scrapple. That sounds disgusting. Tongue sounds pretty nasty too. Ewww. And I found out Brits have their own form of Vegemite called Marmite. You Aussies and Brits are wonderful people but you do have some strange food. Tim Tams are awesome though.
Julia

Born 1998
Started hrt 2015
SRS done 5/21/2018
  •  

Maybebaby56

Quote from: Kiera on September 08, 2017, 06:41:22 PM
Mom was a great 'boot camp' cook, both parents ex-military. Had lot'sa "creamed chip beef on toast".

You do know what the military slang is for "creamed chip beef on toast' is, don't you?

SOS. AKA "Sh*t on a Shingle"

Terri

"How we spend our days is, of course, how we spend our lives" - Annie Dillard
  •  

Dena

I confused zucchini and Okri. Okra can be coated in cornmeal and pan fried and it tasted pretty good that way. Ask the lady next store how she prepares it and you might have a new favorite.
Rebirth Date 1982 - PMs are welcome - Use [email]dena@susans.org[/email] or Discord if your unable to PM - Skype is available - My Transition
If you are helped by this site, consider leaving a tip in the jar at the bottom of the page or become a subscriber
  •  

Julia1996

Quote from: Dena on September 08, 2017, 08:49:36 PM
I confused zucchini and Okri. Okra can be coated in cornmeal and pan fried and it tasted pretty good that way. Ask the lady next store how she prepares it and you might have a new favorite.

I forgot about Flossy.  She has mentioned breaded fried Okra before. She gave me chicken gizzards to try once. It was like eating a breaded and fried eraser.  Ewww.
Julia

Born 1998
Started hrt 2015
SRS done 5/21/2018
  •  

Julia1996

Quote from: Maybebaby56 on September 08, 2017, 08:46:58 PM
You do know what the military slang is for "creamed chip beef on toast' is, don't you?

SOS. AKA "Sh*t on a Shingle"

Terri

Oh yes. My dad was in the marines. They call it S## on a shingle. He calls sausage garvey over biscuits the same thing.
Julia

Born 1998
Started hrt 2015
SRS done 5/21/2018
  •  

Devlyn

•  

Gertrude

Quote from: Deborah on September 08, 2017, 06:39:41 PM
LOL.  I love liver and onions and make it for myself nearly every week.  I do use a fair amount of BBQ sauce though.

She would put bacon in sometimes too. Oh, the waste...Mom tended to overcook meats. It was an eye opener when I ate over my younger older sister's house and had rare steak. I was hooked rare beef. She also used to save clam juice and I got a shocker when I thought it was something else...The other thing I hated was when she made head cheese. She was industrious and born in 1922, knew how to get by, but her daughters and sons were probably better overall cooks. She could make a decent pineapple upside down cake though and thanksgiving was always good.
  •  

DawnOday

Quote from: Gertrude on September 08, 2017, 09:18:29 PM
She would put bacon in sometimes too. Oh, the waste...Mom tended to overcook meats. It was an eye opener when I ate over my younger older sister's house and had rare steak. I was hooked rare beef. She also used to save clam juice and I got a shocker when I thought it was something else...The other thing I hated was when she made head cheese. She was industrious and born in 1922, knew how to get by, but her daughters and sons were probably better overall cooks. She could make a decent pineapple upside down cake though and thanksgiving was always good.

I never had a juicy burger until I left home. Mom could make anything taste like shoe leather. Have you ever eaten round steak. It's like my dogs chew toy when cooked. Don't look for marbling it don't have any. 
Dawn Oday

It just feels right   :icon_hug: :icon_hug: :icon_kiss: :icon_kiss: :icon_kiss:

If you have a a business or service that supports our community please submit for our Links Page.

First indication I was different- 1956 kindergarten
First crossdress - Asked mother to dress me in sisters costumes  Age 7
First revelation - 1982 to my present wife
First time telling the truth in therapy June 15, 2016
Start HRT Aug 2016
First public appearance 5/15/17

•  

Laurie

Okra and brussel sprouts are definitely on the no list and I think Julia's mac and whatever. Haven't tried tongue or head cheese. Fried chicken liver, hearts and gizzards is good, love fresh beef liver and onions, SOS in various ways was a navy family staple and good. I could not bring myself to try the street vender's split roasted goat head in Italy. I've tried quite a few things and thought most were good. Another Italian dish I didn't try while I was living in a hotel there was a seafood soup. It had all the sea had to offer and looked like someone boiled the aquarium.
April 13, 2019 switched to estradiol valerate
December 20, 2018    Referral sent to OHSU Dr Dugi  for vaginoplasty consult
December 10, 2018    Second Letter VA Psychiatric Practical nurse
November 15, 2018    First letter from VA therapist
May 11, 2018 I am Laurie Jeanette Wickwire
May   3, 2018 Submitted name change forms
Aug 26, 2017 another increase in estradiol
Jun  26, 2017 Last day in male attire That's full time I guess
May 20, 2017 doubled estradiol
May 18, 2017 started electrolysis
Dec   4, 2016 Started estradiol and spironolactone

•  

DawnOday

Quote from: Devlyn Marie on September 08, 2017, 08:16:42 PM
We had liver and onions all the time, and kidney stew. I liked them both. It wasn't until I joined the Army and  tried okra that I started a "dont want that" list. Sea urchins are on the list, so is cow tongue. Other than that I'll eat anything that doesn't move away fast enough.  :)

Hugs, Devlyn

Let's hear it for head cheese...maybe not.
Dawn Oday

It just feels right   :icon_hug: :icon_hug: :icon_kiss: :icon_kiss: :icon_kiss:

If you have a a business or service that supports our community please submit for our Links Page.

First indication I was different- 1956 kindergarten
First crossdress - Asked mother to dress me in sisters costumes  Age 7
First revelation - 1982 to my present wife
First time telling the truth in therapy June 15, 2016
Start HRT Aug 2016
First public appearance 5/15/17

•  

steph2.0

Quote from: DawnOday on September 08, 2017, 09:42:04 PM
Let's hear it for head cheese...maybe not.

Now that Laurie's a moderator, I thought she was The Head Cheese.

Steph

Assigned male at birth 1958 * Began envying sister 1963 * Knew unquestioningly that I was female 1968 * Acted the male part for 50 years * Meltdown and first therapist session May 2017 * Began HRT 6/21/17 * Out to the world 10/13/17 * Name Change 12/7/2017 (Girl Harbor Day) * FFS With FacialTeam 12/4/2018 * Facelift and Lipo Body Sculpting at Ocean Clinic 6/13-14/2019 * GCS with Marci Bowers 9/25/2019
  •  

Janes Groove

Tripe is good in Menudo (which is good for hangovers BTW).

And Okra is pretty good in Gumbo.

•  

Deborah

I had something once that sounds bad but was instead very good.  An Eskimo gave me a slice of muktuk, raw whale fat with some salt.  It was like biting into a soft sponge soaked in oil but it tasted almost like peanuts.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Love is not obedience, conformity, or submission. It is a counterfeit love that is contingent upon authority, punishment, or reward. True love is respect and admiration, compassion and kindness, freely given by a healthy, unafraid human being....  - Dan Barker

U.S. Army Retired
  •  

Laurie

Quote from: Julia1996 on September 08, 2017, 08:45:09 PM
I can't even imagine battering and frying it. I had to google scrapple. That sounds disgusting. Tongue sounds pretty nasty too. Ewww. And I found out Brits have their own form of Vegemite called Marmite. You Aussies and Brits are wonderful people but you do have some strange food. Tim Tams are awesome though.

When I visited Portsmouth, England many many moons ago I would see signs advertising Roasted faggots. I new the British called cigarettes fags but was pretty sure that was not it. There was a second possibility going round in my head but I was Positive it wasn't that one either. I'm pretty sure that one would have been illegal.
  No, I never did buy any to find out what they actually were.
April 13, 2019 switched to estradiol valerate
December 20, 2018    Referral sent to OHSU Dr Dugi  for vaginoplasty consult
December 10, 2018    Second Letter VA Psychiatric Practical nurse
November 15, 2018    First letter from VA therapist
May 11, 2018 I am Laurie Jeanette Wickwire
May   3, 2018 Submitted name change forms
Aug 26, 2017 another increase in estradiol
Jun  26, 2017 Last day in male attire That's full time I guess
May 20, 2017 doubled estradiol
May 18, 2017 started electrolysis
Dec   4, 2016 Started estradiol and spironolactone

•  

BeverlyAnn

Two things I did not like as a child.  Boiled okra...liver.

My parents told me one evening at dinner I was going to sit at the table until I ate the boiled okra my mom put on my plate.  Around 9PM they let me get up from the table and throw the okra in the trash.

My mom told the story when I was around 6 months old about my grandmother trying to feed me liver baby food.  She said I spit it back out and fought to keep from being fed any more.  I did try it a couple of other times, the last time when I was around 11.  It was still as bad then as it was 10.5 years earlier.
Always forgive your enemies; nothing annoys them so much. - Oscar Wilde

•  

Lady Lisandra

I remember eating liver once. My mum just cooked it and served it. ALone, with nothing else. Of course it was going to be disgusting! I've gotten over it now, and make the most delicious liver you'll ever taste.

I also remember "guiso de mondongo", which is a kind of tripe soup. I remember trying it, but it must have been so awful I deleted the taste.
- Lis -
  •  

Megan.

Quote from: Laurie on September 09, 2017, 12:41:12 AM
When I visited Portsmouth, England many many moons ago I would see signs advertising Roasted faggots. I new the British called cigarettes fags but was pretty sure that was not it. There was a second possibility going round in my head but I was Positive it wasn't that one either. I'm pretty sure that one would have been illegal.
  No, I never did buy any to find out what they actually were.
Faggots are a type of large meatball (usually in gravy).

http://mrbrains.co.uk/products/

Rice pudding was and still is my kryptonite ,  the texture just makes me gag.

Sent from my MI 5s using Tapatalk

•  

Cindy

Liver was one of the few offal foods I could eat until I did my Zoology degree (Sheffield Uni Zoology Dept if there are any who know it). I was doing the parasitology practical class and there was a chunk of liver with flukes in it. It was fascinating watching this thing writhe and move in the tray it was on. In fact it was so fascinating I have never touched liver without gloves on since.

I'm wondering if Devlyn is into Buffalo Oysters. I hear they are a USA delicacy?
  •