Susan's Place Logo

News:

Please be sure to review The Site terms of service, and rules to live by

Main Menu

What's the nastiest food you remember from your childhood?

Started by Julia1996, September 08, 2017, 05:23:03 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Julia1996

Quote from: RobynD on September 18, 2017, 06:30:52 PM
I will eat and semi-enjoy most foods (mainstream foods not stuff like crickets). I even was ok with liver and onions as a kid.

The one thing i remember that i do not eat to this day is canned lima beans with butter on them. Something about Lima Beans, the only legume that is yucky to me.

I hate Lima beans. Gross!
Julia

Born 1998
Started hrt 2015
SRS done 5/21/2018
  •  

JulieOnHerWay

Quote from: Jin on September 15, 2017, 02:09:09 PM
Canned spinach always made me gag.
Now that I am embracing my girly side, I find that I don't really gag easily.

Okra is pretty much like slugs picked up off the sidewalk after a rain, and then boiled in snot.
Okra.. omg yuck.  it not the putting it in your mouth.  It getting it to your mouth that takes any value away.  Go harvest that weed.  It matures in August. The only thing moving or making a noise is crickets. Air is dead still. Sun beats down to suck every ounce of water out of everything this side of a cactus.
You have to carry a sharp blade just to get it off the plant.  You gotta wear long sleeves and long pants because it is cover in little spiny things that will slice you up.  So just to get it in the basket you have sweated off 10 lbs and its still 10 AM, get enough cuts for a year and enjoy a bit of quality time in a field.  FTS.
Then back to the house while someone calls the ambulance for medically induced hydration.  So you avoided a day in the hospital and its not even lunch time yet.  YEA MFer.  Get to cutting that Okrie up.  Same knife to cut off is use to slice those tender delicacies up while still avoiding those poking spiny things. God, life is good.  Good news foodies, there is some sort of death inducing slimy stuff that is released when sliced and diced.  Not sure of it actual composition but it seems to have a toxic glow to it.  And it is slimy.  Slimy enough to slide Pharaohs pyramid block a 100 feet from one Okrie juice.
Now time for grandma to get to work.  Beat a fresh egg.  Break out the Hoovers fine ground corn meal.  Dunk.  Swish in corn meal and then promptly drop into 3 day old  9 times used over heated hog lard.  Not the good store bought stuff but grandpa rendered lard.  The reallly good stuff.  It spits and sputters.  Hot liquid lard flys everywhere.  Remarkably, it has GPS tracking and finds that one tiny place of flesh that you have that is exposed.  Usually near the eye.  OMG fun now.
Granny yells..quick quick quick get the strainer spoon.  OMG, the intensity.  Where oh where is the spoon. Dig through the drawer.  Not the spatula, not the fish filet knife. OUCH.  Throw the jar filling funnel across the double wide.  Not that spoon, moron.  That's the pea dippin' spoon.  The strainer spoon.  Gotta find it now.  The fresh sh.. okra is overcooking.  Only city idiots mistake the mashed potato spoon for a strainer spoon.  There it is. Wedged under the tea strainer.  Grab it and fling it to Granny just in time.  She dips them wonderful(???) golden brown fried okrie out.  Lay them out on paper towels like the gourmet cook at the truck stop does.  And gives you that evil Granny look.  You know that one that says you dodge a bullet but you did not dodge my opinion of YOU.  You prefer the bullet, but them okrie are ready to get the chomp on.
You only want to go out on the porch and sweat and wait for Juniors Fancy Pizza to arrive.
  •  

Julia1996

Quote from: JulieOnHerWay on September 19, 2017, 12:51:55 AM
Okra.. omg yuck.  it not the putting it in your mouth.  It getting it to your mouth that takes any value away.  Go harvest that weed.  It matures in August. The only thing moving or making a noise is crickets. Air is dead still. Sun beats down to suck every ounce of water out of everything this side of a cactus.
You have to carry a sharp blade just to get it off the plant.  You gotta wear long sleeves and long pants because it is cover in little spiny things that will slice you up.  So just to get it in the basket you have sweated off 10 lbs and its still 10 AM, get enough cuts for a year and enjoy a bit of quality time in a field.  FTS.
Then back to the house while someone calls the ambulance for medically induced hydration.  So you avoided a day in the hospital and its not even lunch time yet.  YEA MFer.  Get to cutting that Okrie up.  Same knife to cut off is use to slice those tender delicacies up while still avoiding those poking spiny things. God, life is good.  Good news foodies, there is some sort of death inducing slimy stuff that is released when sliced and diced.  Not sure of it actual composition but it seems to have a toxic glow to it.  And it is slimy.  Slimy enough to slide Pharaohs pyramid block a 100 feet from one Okrie juice.
Now time for grandma to get to work.  Beat a fresh egg.  Break out the Hoovers fine ground corn meal.  Dunk.  Swish in corn meal and then promptly drop into 3 day old  9 times used over heated hog lard.  Not the good store bought stuff but grandpa rendered lard.  The reallly good stuff.  It spits and sputters.  Hot liquid lard flys everywhere.  Remarkably, it has GPS tracking and finds that one tiny place of flesh that you have that is exposed.  Usually near the eye.  OMG fun now.
Granny yells..quick quick quick get the strainer spoon.  OMG, the intensity.  Where oh where is the spoon. Dig through the drawer.  Not the spatula, not the fish filet knife. OUCH.  Throw the jar filling funnel across the double wide.  Not that spoon, moron.  That's the pea dippin' spoon.  The strainer spoon.  Gotta find it now.  The fresh sh.. okra is overcooking.  Only city idiots mistake the mashed potato spoon for a strainer spoon.  There it is. Wedged under the tea strainer.  Grab it and fling it to Granny just in time.  She dips them wonderful(???) golden brown fried okrie out.  Lay them out on paper towels like the gourmet cook at the truck stop does.  And gives you that evil Granny look.  You know that one that says you dodge a bullet but you did not dodge my opinion of YOU.  You prefer the bullet, but them okrie are ready to get the chomp on.
You only want to go out on the porch and sweat and wait for Juniors Fancy Pizza to arrive.

OMG,  that's hilarious!  😂
Julia

Born 1998
Started hrt 2015
SRS done 5/21/2018
  •  

Laurie

Hi Folks,

It is my considered opinion that most of you here have no idea of what tastes good as you do 'not like good foods and like terrible foods. In all fairness, there are some exceptions.

Hugs,
  Laurie

Disclaimer: This post is the highly biased opinion of one highly opinionated individual and is by no means a serious criticism of other here that are also enjoying participating in there particular highly opinionated thread. If you have an overwhelming need to object to this one highly opinionated individual's opinion please take your personally opinionated objections to this one opinionated moderator only. Send your complaints to Global Moderator Laurie.
April 13, 2019 switched to estradiol valerate
December 20, 2018    Referral sent to OHSU Dr Dugi  for vaginoplasty consult
December 10, 2018    Second Letter VA Psychiatric Practical nurse
November 15, 2018    First letter from VA therapist
May 11, 2018 I am Laurie Jeanette Wickwire
May   3, 2018 Submitted name change forms
Aug 26, 2017 another increase in estradiol
Jun  26, 2017 Last day in male attire That's full time I guess
May 20, 2017 doubled estradiol
May 18, 2017 started electrolysis
Dec   4, 2016 Started estradiol and spironolactone

•  

Julia1996

That hurts Laurie. If I wasn't such a sweet person I would ask you what you know about good food being a miracle whip lover and cheesecake hater. But I'm too sweet to say that. Lol
Julia

Born 1998
Started hrt 2015
SRS done 5/21/2018
  •  

Laurie

Quote from: Julia1996 on September 19, 2017, 11:34:50 AM
That hurts Laurie. If I wasn't such a sweet person I would ask you what you know about good food being a miracle whip lover and cheesecake hater. But I'm too sweet to say that. Lol

Julia  Please don't tell me you took my last post for anything but a tongue in cheek bunch of malarkie, I'll delete it in a heart beat if anyone takes it otherwise.

Laurie

•  

Megan.

I've not tried it myself,  but an entirely non-scientific and unrobust analysis of responses so far seems to place Okra as the most hated and reviled food choice.

Sent from my MI 5s using Tapatalk

•  

Dee Marshall

Laurie, I'm not offended by your post and to prove it you will be receiving by post one Miracle Whip cheesecake,... with okra.

I once asked my brother-in-law, a baker, to make a cheesecake for me with pecan pie filling as a topping. He made it for me. It was so we'll received by his co-workers that they began selling it.

On the plane ride home I requested a cup of coffee and pulled it out. Another passenger asked the flight attendant for some and was disappointed to find out I had brought it on board. He offered me $10 for the slice. Of course I refused.

My major food pet peeve is any overcooked meat. Needless to say, that was the only way my father would eat it or allow anyone to eat it in his presence. I got him, a WWII vet back. I developed a taste for creamed chipped beef on toast.

Mmmm! I should buy some. Haven't had it in forever!

:

April 22, 2015, the day of my first face to face pass in gender neutral clothes and no makeup. It may be months to the next one, but I'm good with that!

Being transgender is just a phase. It hardly ever starts before conception and always ends promptly at death.

They say the light at the end of the tunnel is an oncoming train. I say, climb aboard!

Think outside the voice box!

April 22, 2015, the day of my first face to face pass in gender neutral clothes and no makeup. It may be months to the next one, but I'm good with that!

Being transgender is just a phase. It hardly ever starts before conception and always ends promptly at death.

They say the light at the end of the tunnel is an oncoming train. I say, climb aboard!
  •  

Julia1996

Quote from: Laurie on September 19, 2017, 01:09:29 PM
Julia  Please don't tell me you took my last post for anything but a tongue in cheek bunch of malarkie, I'll delete it in a heart beat if anyone takes it otherwise.

Laurie

No. I thought it was funny. I was just being a smart ass, which I have a talent for, according to my dad. Lol
Julia

Born 1998
Started hrt 2015
SRS done 5/21/2018
  •  

Julia1996

Quote from: Dee Marshall on September 19, 2017, 01:23:02 PM
Laurie, I'm not offended by your post and to prove it you will be receiving by post one Miracle Whip cheesecake,... with okra.

I once asked my brother-in-law, a baker, to make a cheesecake for me with pecan pie filling as a topping. He made it for me. It was so we'll received by his co-workers that they began selling it.

On the plane ride home I requested a cup of coffee and pulled it out. Another passenger asked the flight attendant for some and was disappointed to find out I had brought it on board. He offered me $10 for the slice. Of course I refused.

My major food pet peeve is any overcooked meat. Needless to say, that was the only way my father would eat it or allow anyone to eat it in his presence. I got him, a WWII vet back. I developed a taste for creamed chipped beef on toast.

Mmmm! I should buy some. Haven't had it in forever!

:

Oh I know! I hate well done meat. My dad get skeezed out by rare meat so I have to make his well done but my brother and I like it rare.
Julia

Born 1998
Started hrt 2015
SRS done 5/21/2018
  •  

Laurie

Quote from: Dee Marshall on September 19, 2017, 01:23:02 PM

OMG!! Dee  Don't, just don't   :icon_help: :icon_lemon: :icon_mrgreen: :icon_mrgreen: :icon_omfg: :rolleyes: :icon_rolleyes2: :icon_weirdface: :icon_yikes:

I too have one of those well done deviates in my household. She's always overcooking my steaks which I prefer rare.

Laurie

•  

Julia1996

Quote from: Laurie on September 19, 2017, 02:32:46 PM
OMG!! Dee  Don't, just don't   :icon_help: :icon_lemon: :icon_mrgreen: :icon_mrgreen: :icon_omfg: :rolleyes: :icon_rolleyes2: :icon_weirdface: :icon_yikes:

I too have one of those well done deviates in my household. She's always overcooking my steaks which I prefer rare.

Laurie

A miracle whip cheesecake with okra. I will make that for Laurie. But to make it extra special I'll add some of Tristan's vegemite to it. Mmmm yum.  :icon_blah:
Julia

Born 1998
Started hrt 2015
SRS done 5/21/2018
  •  

Laurie

Quote from: Julia1996 on September 19, 2017, 02:41:58 PM
A miracle whip cheesecake with okra. I will make that for Laurie. But to make it extra special I'll add some of Tristan's vegemite to it. Mmmm yum.  :icon_blah:

That would indeed be the nastiest food yet mentioned here. Pardon me I think the toilet is calling  :icon_mrgreen:

•  

Kendra

I am into mostly healthy foods after losing a bunch of weight several years ago but still have a difficult time with peas.  Yep, plain ol peas.  I'll explain.

Technically this was on the edge of childhood but I'll tell ya about my summer job in high school, small redneck town in the 1970s.  Logging was too dangerous so the best paying job at that age is driving a tractor.  Pea harvest time!  Although not as statistically unfortunate as logging we weren't allowed to start the job until completing a course with a movie showing exactly what happens when you don't pay attention around farm machinery.  But that isn't what caused my near-permanent loss of appetite for peas. 

My shift was 6pm to 6am driving an ancient tractor, the type you see rusting away as yard art in Montana - probably lacks the minimum safety equipment to park it inside a museum.  Each tractor towed a huge beast of a machine, this massive pea combine full of gears and conveyor belts and claws all designed to shake and make noise.  Start on a row at exactly 1-1/4 miles per hour (2 kph).  Drive a straight line for 15-30 minutes, turn around, do another row and then stop so a truck can pick up the load of peas.  By midnight I am half asleep, incredibly bored but the pay was about triple other high school jobs.  Nobody took this job because they were fascinated by this insanely dull task - it was something to endure. 

At 2 or 3am the boredom was too much and you would hear the tractor in the next row bump up the engine just a bit and they were going slightly faster than you, looking over and daring you to do the same.  Pea combine racing!  I bumped my speed up just slightly.  They did the same.  Now we are going maybe 1-1/2 miles per hour (2.5 kph).  Bump the speed up again just a bit and... my combine jams.

Shut both engines off and grab the wicked looking knife we are each issued at the beginning of the shift, and a flashlight.  My job now is to un-jam the machine.  This involves climbing inside something the size of a small apartment completely tangled with pea vines and it is raining green slime mixed with pea juice.  You can't out-wait the cold green rain because it won't quit dripping this crud for 15 minutes and at that point I'd lose a good paying job.  This stuff is raining down my back, it's in my ears, I look up and it's in my eyes.  The reason I have to look up is I need to climb up with my knife and cut the tangled mass off the machinery axles and those axles contain grease - and it's all raining on me and now my arms are covered in greasy pea vines.  My boots go splorp splorp as I climb and cut and untangle this disaster in a dark tangled jungle encased in ancient machinery.  Even my socks are now soaked in pea juice.  Very sexy.  And even without tractor racing this happened every couple shifts.  But in high school, to heck with being rational - tempt fate by speed-walking these mighty tractors and your neighbor might be the one with a jammed combine to untangle and I get to laugh... only to have mine jam on the next row.

By the end of summer the interior of my truck was pea juice green.  The seats, the carpeting, even the seat belt.  At 6am I didn't care - all I wanted to do was get home and fall asleep by 7am.

When I tell people the following I really mean it:  I am not a vegetarian because I love animals.  I am a vegetarian because I hate plants.
Assigned male at birth 1963.  Decided I wanted to be a girl in 1971.  Laser 2014-16, electrolysis 2015-17, HRT 7/2017, GCS 1/2018, VFS 3/2018, FFS 5/2018, Labiaplasty & BA 7/2018. 
  •  

meatwagon

i have no idea what it actually was, but we went to some kind of potluck and i saw a fish dish.  well i love fish so i got some, and much to my horror, it tasted like pine.  like biting right into a sappy old pine tree.  i wish i knew the name of it so i could avoid it forever.

but aside from that... sweet pickles and miracle whip are at the top of the list.
  •  

MaryT

Quote from: Kendra on September 19, 2017, 03:38:19 PM
I am not a vegetarian because I love animals.  I am a vegetarian because I hate plants.

I like that.
  •  

Laurie

omg peoples Miracle Whip is good! I used some today to make a brown spicy mustard, miracle whip, olive oil, red wine vinegar, salt and cracked pepper vinaigrette for my green salad lunch.

Good stuff Maynard

Laurie

•  

JulieOnHerWay

Quote from: Julia1996 on September 19, 2017, 11:34:50 AM

:) :) :)  :angel: :angel:;D ;D ;D :P :P :-* :-*
Girl got it going on.  BIGLY!!
And Laurie the GLOBAL MODERATOR does not like cheesecake.  Down a step or 2.  I wonder which globe she moderates.  This one seems to spin fine without assistance.   :-* :-*
  •  

Laurie

Quote from: JulieOnHerWay on September 19, 2017, 04:38:44 PM
:) :) :)  :angel: :angel:;D ;D ;D :P :P :-* :-*
Girl got it going on.  BIGLY!!
And Laurie the GLOBAL MODERATOR does not like cheesecake.  Down a step or 2.  I wonder which globe she moderates.  This one seems to spin fine without assistance.   :-* :-*

I have one of those cheaper ones you see in schools. I like to sit here watching it spin and tell myself that I am what make the world go round.

Laurie

•  

steph2.0

Quote from: Laurie on September 19, 2017, 09:42:37 PM
I have one of those cheaper ones you see in schools. I like to sit here watching it spin and tell myself that I am what make the world go round.

Is that why I'm dizzy?

Steph

Assigned male at birth 1958 * Began envying sister 1963 * Knew unquestioningly that I was female 1968 * Acted the male part for 50 years * Meltdown and first therapist session May 2017 * Began HRT 6/21/17 * Out to the world 10/13/17 * Name Change 12/7/2017 (Girl Harbor Day) * FFS With FacialTeam 12/4/2018 * Facelift and Lipo Body Sculpting at Ocean Clinic 6/13-14/2019 * GCS with Marci Bowers 9/25/2019
  •