Susan's Place Logo

News:

Visit our Discord server  and Wiki

Main Menu

The Stephanie Chronicles

Started by steph2.0, September 17, 2017, 11:42:47 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

KathyLauren

I am glad you are having a great time being yourself, Steph!

Quote from: Steph2.0 on November 02, 2017, 09:54:37 AMSecond, I have 1:10 drive to the clinic, I got started with the numbing cream too early, and we started the session about 15 minutes late. That put the time from applying the cream until the first zap about about 1:45.
Do you cover the cream with plastic wrap?  It looks goofy, and you probably want to avoid being in public like that any more than absolutely necessary, but it does make a big difference in keeping the cream effective for longer.  For areas where the effectiveness wears off quickly, I do two separate areas and cover them seperately.  That way, she can uncover one area, wipe it off and work there.  Once the numbing wears off there, she can uncover the other area, which is still numb and continue working.
2015-07-04 Awakening; 2015-11-15 Out to self; 2016-06-22 Out to wife; 2016-10-27 First time presenting in public; 2017-01-20 Started HRT!!; 2017-04-20 Out publicly; 2017-07-10 Legal name change; 2019-02-15 Approval for GRS; 2019-08-02 Official gender change; 2020-03-11 GRS; 2020-09-17 New birth certificate
  •  

steph2.0

Quote from: KathyLauren on November 02, 2017, 12:33:02 PM
I am glad you are having a great time being yourself, Steph!
Do you cover the cream with plastic wrap?  It looks goofy, and you probably want to avoid being in public like that any more than absolutely necessary

Yeah, sure did. Driving 1:10 through morning traffic is a hoot with that on my face. The thing I hate most is being hardly able to open my mouth, so it's hard to sing on the way.

I use Press and Seal instead of Saran Wrap and it does seem to keep things from drying out. I'll try getting there early and getting zapped within 1/2 hour next time. If that doesn't do it, I'll just have to grimace and take it. But wow, I sure didn't expect anything like that after the first time was so easy.

Steph

Assigned male at birth 1958 * Began envying sister 1963 * Knew unquestioningly that I was female 1968 * Acted the male part for 50 years * Meltdown and first therapist session May 2017 * Began HRT 6/21/17 * Out to the world 10/13/17 * Name Change 12/7/2017 (Girl Harbor Day) * FFS With FacialTeam 12/4/2018 * Facelift and Lipo Body Sculpting at Ocean Clinic 6/13-14/2019 * GCS with Marci Bowers 9/25/2019
  •  

Laurie

I also do as Kathy suggested an hour before my appointments. My electrologist suggested I apply a thing coat of numbing cream and rub it into the skin some before applying a second thicker coat and covering. This seemed to help the numbing be more effective. I also prep and cover two areas separately. And also do not forget to hydrate hydrate hydrate again.

laurie
April 13, 2019 switched to estradiol valerate
December 20, 2018    Referral sent to OHSU Dr Dugi  for vaginoplasty consult
December 10, 2018    Second Letter VA Psychiatric Practical nurse
November 15, 2018    First letter from VA therapist
May 11, 2018 I am Laurie Jeanette Wickwire
May   3, 2018 Submitted name change forms
Aug 26, 2017 another increase in estradiol
Jun  26, 2017 Last day in male attire That's full time I guess
May 20, 2017 doubled estradiol
May 18, 2017 started electrolysis
Dec   4, 2016 Started estradiol and spironolactone

•  

SadieBlake

I will be talking with our glass shop director about clothing. Senior people, myself included are allowed to wear shorts (heat is already bad enough without wearing long pants). I want the ok to wear a skirt -- has to be cotton so it's not an issue right now as I can't afford anything new and like you Stephanie, I'm really cheap, still patch my work clothes when seams give way.
🌈👭 lesbian, troublemaker ;-) 🌈🏳️‍🌈
  •  

steph2.0

Yet another interesting day. Part of my job has been displaying at major, and a few minor, aviation expos around the US. This year I decided not to display at the November show in Florida, partially because of changes in the relationship with the company I import products from, but mostly because at the time I was required to reserve a display booth, I was just starting my transition, and I had no idea where I'd be at this time in the future.

I have become friends with a lot of people at these shows, and I usually only see them there. So a fair number of folks who I've come to know had no idea what I was going through. Today was the day I visited and got to fill them in.

I invited Delores, a girlfriend who knows all about me to go along, and we went to breakfast at one airport before going to the show. I didn't go over the top on getting dressed up, but I didn't attempt to hide anything either. All the clothes were from the women's department, and my hair was just pulled through the loop on my hat and left loose. My nails were polished and of course I had my new earrings in. The end result was still kind of androgynous. Here I am after we got back home, with the latest plane I built. We both have big smiles:

At breakfast I had a serious dilemma. I didn't think I was passing as female, and I had to use the bathroom. What to do? Well, I braced myself and used the men's room. I just didn't think I'd get away with using the ladies room this time. It turned out to be a dysphoric experience. I realized that this is the first time I've used a public men's room in a while, and it just felt wrong. Delores caught me coming out and said in front of everyone, "Hey, you used the wrong one! I expected to find you in the other one." Now, my flying buddies do know what's going on with me, but nobody else in the building did. I laughed it off (painfully). I don't know whether anyone noticed or not. Oy.

When we got to the show I stopped to say hello to my friend who describes the planes for the crowd as they fly by. I filled him in on my situation, and he was supportive, but we couldn't talk long because he had to get back to his announcing. I waved bye, and he whispered to stop back later.

Next up was an old friend and business partner. I told him everything, he said he was cool, and we went on to the same old conversations we always have, just like nothing else was new. When I moved on he made me promise to call him if I needed anything at all.

And that was pretty much the pattern for everyone else I know and have worked with, except for the last one. She actually runs the show. I've worked with her for years, and we've gotten to know each other pretty well. This is, in fact, the first year that I haven't arranged to display at her show since she took over. We sat and had lunch together, and as we got up to leave I broke the news a little differently. I told her that one of the reasons I didn't display this year was because of some big changes happening in my life, and I just gave her one of my new business cards. They're the same as my old ones except the name is changed from "Steve" to "Steph." I told her it would give her an idea if she looked at the name. She looked it over, looked a little puzzled, looked me over with new eyes... then gave me a big hug. She told me that she was happy for me, and not much else needed to be said. That was pretty dang cool.

There was one more stop. I know a guy (L) who runs an aircraft business not far from me with his wife and his dad (P), and I stopped to say a quick Hi to them. They already know about my transition. Remember my friend who took us to Disney? He's the one who filled them in a couple of weeks ago, and he told me that when L found out he started saying some pretty nasty things. That's when his dad stepped in and read him the riot act: "She's going through a hard time right now, and you will support her and be nice! (or something along those lines)" Now it's not as if L is a kid - he's got to be in his 40's and P must be in his 60's. I was in awe that P not only came to my defense, but immediately started using the correct pronouns without prompting. We had a nice conversation about the product they're selling and the next plane I'm building, then touched a little on my transition - with no drama - and we moved on.

It was time to head home, but I still needed to stop and see my announcer friend on the way out as promised. I walked into the little building he uses as an announcer's booth. He had a few other people hanging out with him, and with no prompting he introduced me to each of them in turn as Steph. Wow. I know some pretty dang cool people.

Letting all of them know pretty much sets the stage for the next big show in Florida coming up in April. Instead of displaying I'll be volunteering with all the people I know who make the show happen, and now almost all of them know what to expect. By April I will have been on HRT for almost 11 months, so hopefully there will be noticeable changes, unlike now. With all the pump priming I've been doing, the shock factor should be pretty low, and I can just get on with the job as me. Where before I was dreading it, now I'm starting to look forward to it.

Steph

Assigned male at birth 1958 * Began envying sister 1963 * Knew unquestioningly that I was female 1968 * Acted the male part for 50 years * Meltdown and first therapist session May 2017 * Began HRT 6/21/17 * Out to the world 10/13/17 * Name Change 12/7/2017 (Girl Harbor Day) * FFS With FacialTeam 12/4/2018 * Facelift and Lipo Body Sculpting at Ocean Clinic 6/13-14/2019 * GCS with Marci Bowers 9/25/2019
  •  

Laurie

glad to hear it was a good event for you Steph(anie)
April 13, 2019 switched to estradiol valerate
December 20, 2018    Referral sent to OHSU Dr Dugi  for vaginoplasty consult
December 10, 2018    Second Letter VA Psychiatric Practical nurse
November 15, 2018    First letter from VA therapist
May 11, 2018 I am Laurie Jeanette Wickwire
May   3, 2018 Submitted name change forms
Aug 26, 2017 another increase in estradiol
Jun  26, 2017 Last day in male attire That's full time I guess
May 20, 2017 doubled estradiol
May 18, 2017 started electrolysis
Dec   4, 2016 Started estradiol and spironolactone

•  

Megan.

Sounds like you have many wonderful and very sensible friends who truly value you for the person you are. X

Sent from my MI 5s using Tapatalk

•  

KathyLauren

Way to go on all the coming out, and congratulations on your choices of friends!
2015-07-04 Awakening; 2015-11-15 Out to self; 2016-06-22 Out to wife; 2016-10-27 First time presenting in public; 2017-01-20 Started HRT!!; 2017-04-20 Out publicly; 2017-07-10 Legal name change; 2019-02-15 Approval for GRS; 2019-08-02 Official gender change; 2020-03-11 GRS; 2020-09-17 New birth certificate
  •  

Kendra

Steph ya got it in the cards - right on.  As time goes on this whole gender thing just feels right and the previous way less so (I've noticed the same thing).  Wingin' it seems tricky at first, then becomes a nice glide path.
Assigned male at birth 1963.  Decided I wanted to be a girl in 1971.  Laser 2014-16, electrolysis 2015-17, HRT 7/2017, GCS 1/2018, VFS 3/2018, FFS 5/2018, Labiaplasty & BA 7/2018. 
  •  

steph2.0

I couldn't stop grinning all day...

My wife and I flew to breakfast this morning. As president of our flying club, I instituted our club motto as "Fly to Eat; Eat to Fly." Pilots aren't very smart, so this keeps things simple. We always know what we need to do next: if we're flying, next up is eating. If we're eating... well, you get it. Restaurants on airports are always in high demand by pilots.

Here we are on the way. As you can see, I'm not dressed up much (I'm on the right, silly). Just a women's button down shirt, women's jeans, and blue canvas shoes with white polkadots. I even tied my hair back when we went to eat.

None of the rest of my flying buddies could make it today, so we went by ourselves, and without our regular posse along we sat alone. Pilots tend to be a social lot, though, and one of the guys at a table across the restaurant called over, "Did you ladies fly in?" This is when my grin started. Using my best voice (which isn't very dang good) I answered that yes, we did. We talked airplanes for a minute, and then he asked (even after hearing my voice) whether we were with the Ninety-Nines. My grin got even bigger. The Ninety-Nines is a women's aviation organization started by Amelia Earhart with 98 other women back in the 30s. There are male members, but it was obvious what this guy was thinking.

I hardly needed an airplane to fly home...

Steph

•  

SadieBlake

QuoteI hardly needed an airplane to fly home...

You're amazing, I've been up in small aircraft a few times, usually seated shotgun hella fun experience. Best evar included a flyover el cap and half dome in Yosemite bc the pilot said it was only a few minutes out of the way and why not!!?
🌈👭 lesbian, troublemaker ;-) 🌈🏳️‍🌈
  •  

KathyLauren

Quote from: Steph2.0 on November 04, 2017, 10:36:50 PM
I hardly needed an airplane to fly home...
Right on, sister!

As a former pilot myself (RCAF), I know the thrill of flying, but I can totally see that the thrill of that encounter would take first place.
  •  

Kendra

in the breakfast club
fly to eat and eat to fly
clear blue skies ahead

ladies at table
gendered correctly again
Steph can't stop smiling

things can turn out well
easier as time goes by
flying on cloud nine

aviatrix now
go buzz the control tower
yee haw this is fun
Assigned male at birth 1963.  Decided I wanted to be a girl in 1971.  Laser 2014-16, electrolysis 2015-17, HRT 7/2017, GCS 1/2018, VFS 3/2018, FFS 5/2018, Labiaplasty & BA 7/2018. 
  •  

Jayne01

Hi Steph,

I am just reading through this thread. I am finding it so inspiring. So much of what you have said is something I can completely relate to. You are further along your transition than I am. I can only hope my journey is even half as positive as yours. I  have only read the first half of this thread so far. I just read your Facebook coming out letter and had to stop reading so I can respond. That letter was incredible! I may even steal some of your words (with your permission of course) when I am ready to come out. I don't have a Facebook account but I was thinking that a letter like that would work well with work.

I will continue reading this thread as soon as I get a bit more time (and recharge my phone battery). I was also thinking of creating a blog type thread rather than starting a new thread every time I want to say something.

Thank you for sharing this. It is giving me strength to continue down this transition path.

Jayne
  •  

steph2.0

Sorry I've been falling behind, everyone. Been a busy couple of days.

Sadie: Yosemite is my most favoritest place in the whole world. I've been there 3 or 4 times now. Even rented a cabin in the valley for a winter weekend once. I fell in love with the Ahwahnee Hotel, and have tried to model parts of my house on the decor. I'm surprised you could fly over the park. It would be extremistically awesomatic to see it from the air.

Kathy:Now I not only want to sit and have coffee with you, but I need to take you flying. Once it's in your blood you're infected for life, and I've already reignited the fire in another one of our sisters (reference Jayne below). Advanced Ultralights in Canada are very close to our Light Sport Aircraft here in the US. You need to find your way out of that cold and get down to Florida so I can show you what it's all about.

Kendra: Thank you for the cool haiku. Yet another reason to worship you. I'm not worrrrrthy!!! Would you mind if I posted it on my Facebook page after my breakfast story? With proper attribution to Kenundrum, of course.

And Jayne: Thank you. I'm humbled that you took inspiration not only from our back-channel flying banter, but also by my writing on this thread. I can't take credit for starting it. My friend and badger-in-chief Laurie is the one who goaded me into initiating it, back when I was scared to death. I'll always be thankful that she took me by the hand and pulled me out of my shell. If I helped you at all, it was because I'm now trying to pay that kindness forward. Some day you'll find yourself in the same position. Helping each other bootstrap our emergence is what makes Susan's shine brighter than all the other groups on the internet. This is the first and only place where I have been moved to voluntarily make monthly donations to help out. Worth every penny.

On to my latest adventure: I posted on the "What made you happy" thread that yesterday I finally found the right place to get my fingerprints electronically submitted, so I can get the paperwork wrapped up for my name change. In about two weeks the background check should be done, and I can set my court date. The rumor is that it'll take about a month to see the judge. So I'm hoping that in six weeks or so I will finally be who I really am: Stephanie Rhapsody XXX. Then it'll be party time. How many of you will come?

After seeing the fingerprint dude, I brushed out my hair, put on my girl shoes, grabbed my purse, and went to lunch at a cool little restaurant right across from the seaplane base on a lake here in central Florida. I suspect the waitress clocked me, but she never let on, and I was treated so well that I not only left a big tip, but I wrote a thank you on the credit card receipt. I've never ever done such a thing before, but after being pretty stressed about it, it all went so well that I needed to show my gratitude.

I don't really get why I was so nervous. I've been out enough now that this isn't anything new. It may have been that I hadn't done a lot of preparation beforehand with makeup and such things. After all, for the fingerprinting I'd decided that I was going to go androgynously at best. I guess I just didn't think I'd earned a "passing" grade. Eh, whatever... all's well that ends well.

Steph

•  

Jayne01

Steph, that's great you are still moving forward in such a positive way. It will be awesome once you have your name change finalised. It will be a milestone worth celebrating!

Jayne
  •  

Kendra

Steph, yes - you're most welcome to re-post, re-use etc., I'm very open about my transition.  I am not on Facebook but might re-activate someday after I get caught up on other stuff.  I seem to have too many projects right now, including me...    ;)
  •  

steph2.0

Quote from: Kendra on November 08, 2017, 11:08:25 PMSteph, yes - you're most welcome to re-post, re-use etc., I'm very open about my transition.

Thank you! I don't need to mention that you're a tran-sister, even if you don't mind. I just think my cis-friends will dig your poetry.

QuoteI seem to have too many projects right now, including me...    ;)

Hoo boy, do I ever understand that. I've been taking some heat around the airport that I haven't put a wrench on my own airplane kit project since I got home from Oshkosh in August. My excuse was my projects have been taking care of customer's demands - and myself. I am definitely a work in progress...

Steph

•  

Kendra

Tran-sister... love the term. 
After all those decades I suppressed it, being a re-sister. 
  •  

Meghan

Quote from: Kendra on November 09, 2017, 07:22:29 AM
Tran-sister... love the term. 
After all those decades I suppressed it, being a re-sister.
Since we must lean on each other for support just like a family member supposed to do.

Sent from my XT1650 using Tapatalk

Meghan Pham: MtF Transgender, Transsexual, Transwoman, social justice, Caregivers, Certified Nurse Assistant
  •