Susan's Place Logo

News:

According to Google Analytics 25,259,719 users made visits accounting for 140,758,117 Pageviews since December 2006

Main Menu

The Stephanie Chronicles

Started by steph2.0, September 17, 2017, 11:42:47 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

steph2.0

I've got to keep writing or Cassie's going to surpass me, dangit. So here's another story:

When I first started hanging out here, I became fascinated with a journey being undertaken by a very cool lady who goes by Michelle_P. She had lost a lot by coming out, but was so strong and focused that nothing was stopping her forward momentum. What struck me as much as anything was how, even after coming out, she was asked to remain as president of her radio club. I was simply awestruck that she was so well-regarded and had such strength of character that she could weather even coming out to a bunch of male ham radio dudes, and be asked to stay in charge. I knew that this was something that I would never ever experience. I was simply too weak, and everyone around me would be too unaccepting, for something like that to ever become a reality for me.

Tonight I, Stephanie Rhapsody Bensinger, ran the meeting as newly reelected President of our Experimental Aircraft Association chapter.

All I could think about was Michelle, and what an inspiration she's been, and all the walls I've knocked down, climbed, or gone around to get where I am today. I kept it together until I got home, then broke down in happy tears on Sue's shoulder. I tried to explain it, but I don't think she understands.

I think all of you do.

Stephanie Bensinger
President, EAA Chapter 1489

Assigned male at birth 1958 * Began envying sister 1963 * Knew unquestioningly that I was female 1968 * Acted the male part for 50 years * Meltdown and first therapist session May 2017 * Began HRT 6/21/17 * Out to the world 10/13/17 * Name Change 12/7/2017 (Girl Harbor Day) * FFS With FacialTeam 12/4/2018 * Facelift and Lipo Body Sculpting at Ocean Clinic 6/13-14/2019 * GCS with Marci Bowers 9/25/2019
  •  

Kendra

Absolutely.  Congratulations!!! 

What an incredible way to land a series of accomplishments. 
Assigned male at birth 1963.  Decided I wanted to be a girl in 1971.  Laser 2014-16, electrolysis 2015-17, HRT 7/2017, GCS 1/2018, VFS 3/2018, FFS 5/2018, Labiaplasty & BA 7/2018. 
  •  

Jayne01

Way to go Steph! I never doubted you. You are much stronger than you give yourself credit for. You are also surrounded by a pretty cool bunch of friends.

Jayne
  •  

steph2.0

OK, one last story, and I can go to bed satisfied I've fulfilled my daily quota of keystrokes.

This is a slightly modified version of something I'd posted as a reply to a similar story on Cassie's Facebook page:

On the day I came out to my primary care doctor I was sitting in the waiting room with the usual variety of people. Old folks, young folks, moms with kids. Nobody in the office knew I had begun transitioning yet, and I was dressed at best androgynously.

Kids and I had always actively ignored or avoided each other - apparently enough negative vibes were present to repel us from each other. Yet for some reason, this time a little girl, maybe 4 years old, plunked herself down next to me with a wooden puzzle, and started handing me pieces with the invitation to insert them in the correct slots. So we played a game where I would put them in the wrong place and look puzzled, and she'd correct me. And this went on for almost an hour. I was a bit bemused that I was actually having fun with this. At one point her mom told me to let her know if her daughter was bothering me, and I was surprised that, no, she wasn't. I was actually enjoying myself. The little girl bored of it long before I did, and wandered off.

Fast forward about 5 months. So many changes in that time, including moving on to my authentic self full-time, and on a road trip with no boy clothes in the luggage. I had completely let go of the fake persona I'd draped myself with for fifty years, and was experiencing joy I'd never known. But kids were still a mystery to me. We ended up at a friend's house where there was a little boy, probably seven or eight years old. And he just couldn't get enough of me. Crawling up in my lap, giving me hugs, sharing his favorite toys, chattering away. What happened to the repellant force I used to emanate? I actually realized the kid was cute, even though he could have used a bath.

I don't know where it's coming from. Changes in body chemistry or thought patterns? A shedding of the heavy cloak of inauthenticity? Whatever it is, I'm finding that this journey is doing more than just revealing someone who'd been crouching behind a facade - it's inducing unexpected - and welcome - changes. And I'm liking who I'm becoming.

Stephanie

Addendum: When I got all the attention I had dressed for dinner in a western top and wool skirt, and my "Indiana Jones" hat. You may have seen the picture from my extensive coverage of our road trip a month ago, but here it is again.

I've read over and over that kids have a sixth sense about gender. You hear stories of them catching you out in stores, "Mommy, is that a boy or a girl?" or straight out, "You're a boy!" But there was nothing like this with that kid. There seemed to be no question that he liked that lady who was visiting. How strange...

Assigned male at birth 1958 * Began envying sister 1963 * Knew unquestioningly that I was female 1968 * Acted the male part for 50 years * Meltdown and first therapist session May 2017 * Began HRT 6/21/17 * Out to the world 10/13/17 * Name Change 12/7/2017 (Girl Harbor Day) * FFS With FacialTeam 12/4/2018 * Facelift and Lipo Body Sculpting at Ocean Clinic 6/13-14/2019 * GCS with Marci Bowers 9/25/2019
  •  

Laurie

Dang I guess it was good that I took you off the refrigerator today, wasn't it? And there goes another of my friends zooming on by on her way to GCS. Congrats on continuing on your journey Stephanie. I'm with Jayne on this but I'll skip over the waaaayyy far away and jump into that if ever bin. I am glad for you though Stephanie. I can't wait to hear the date.
  I will agree with you on that Michelle character. There is a lot there in her to admire. She just keep moving forward like a bulldozer. You can't stop the woman.
  And congrats again to you Ms Club President!

Hugs,
  Laurie
April 13, 2019 switched to estradiol valerate
December 20, 2018    Referral sent to OHSU Dr Dugi  for vaginoplasty consult
December 10, 2018    Second Letter VA Psychiatric Practical nurse
November 15, 2018    First letter from VA therapist
May 11, 2018 I am Laurie Jeanette Wickwire
May   3, 2018 Submitted name change forms
Aug 26, 2017 another increase in estradiol
Jun  26, 2017 Last day in male attire That's full time I guess
May 20, 2017 doubled estradiol
May 18, 2017 started electrolysis
Dec   4, 2016 Started estradiol and spironolactone

•  

Jayne01

Quote from: Steph2.0 on January 09, 2018, 11:11:39 PM
Whatever it is, I'm finding that this journey is doing more than just revealing someone who'd been crouching behind a facade - it's inducing unexpected - and welcome - changes. And I'm liking who I'm becoming.

These words I can relate to 100%. I never in my life expected to really like myself, but I am liking the person I am lately. We all live such different lives, scattered all over the world, and here we are, brought together, each on our own journeys of self discovery and becoming our authentic selves. Life is pretty awesome! What a privilege it is to share these experiences with such great friends.

Jayne
  •  

steph2.0

Quote from: Laurie on January 09, 2018, 11:15:03 PM
Dang I guess it was good that I took you off the refrigerator today, wasn't it? And there goes another of my friends zooming on by on her way to GCS. Congrats on continuing on your journey Stephanie. I'm with Jayne on this but I'll skip over the waaaayyy far away and jump into that if ever bin. I am glad for you though Stephanie. I can't wait to hear the date.
  I will agree with you on that Michelle character. There is a lot there in her to admire. She just keep moving forward like a bulldozer. You can't stop the woman.
  And congrats again to you Ms Club President!

Thanks Laurie,

I was afraid I was going to have to get the fridge moved to the restaurant so I could run the meeting. As for the GCS, obviously it's extremely early in the process. There's no guarantee that we're going to like each other. And depending on things like hair removal, which I haven't even started "down there" it could end up being very late in the year.

We're all in our own bins. Right now I'm in the "Push slowly through the molasses" bin. Your "if ever" bin is close by. We're all taking our own personalized circuitous routes, but I think we'll all end up in the same place eventually.

Madam President

•  

steph2.0

Quote from: Jayne01 on January 09, 2018, 11:09:01 PM
Way to go Steph! I never doubted you. You are much stronger than you give yourself credit for. You are also surrounded by a pretty cool bunch of friends.

Well, I may have mentioned this before, but I think one of the reasons I still have the job is because nobody else wants it. On the other hand, if they really didn't like where I was going, they would have found somebody to take over.

And yes, you're right. They are a pretty wonderful group of friends. They're the same people I honored at my New Years party, and they all deserve my unending thanks.

Stephanie.

•  

steph2.0

Quote from: Jayne01 on January 09, 2018, 10:43:26 PM
Oh how exciting! GCS is on its way to becoming a reality for you. That is way, way, waaaaaay down the line for me, if it will happen at all. I love NYC. Been there 4 or 5 times. We usually use it as a stopover for a few days on the way to or from Nova Scotia when visiting my wife's family. I prefer the countryside to cities, but as far as cities go, NYC is pretty cool. You will be fine. The subway is really easy to use, and there are more taxis than any other vehicle. Did I mention how exciting this is?

Jayne, I wish you could be there to act as tour guide for me. I'm sure it's probably blown out of proportion, but all you hear about is the crime. And paying someone else to drive a car? How strange. And it sounds expensive, too. Sigh.

I also wish you could get excited for me...

- Stephanie

•  

steph2.0

Quote from: Kendra on January 09, 2018, 11:08:52 PM
Absolutely.  Congratulations!!! 

What an incredible way to land a series of accomplishments.

Thanks Kendra. You know you were also an inspiration to me, right?

I'll be thinking of you and sending good vibes your way on the 18th. I'll never catch up to you, but I'll follow along in your wake. All my best.

- Stephanie

•  

Michelle_P

Quote from: Steph2.0 on January 09, 2018, 10:45:53 PM
Tonight I, Stephanie Rhapsody Bensinger, ran the meeting as newly reelected President of our Experimental Aircraft Association chapter.

Stephanie Bensinger
President, EAA Chapter 1489

Congratulations!  I think this is wonderful, and Stephanie, you are stronger than you thought.  People value you for who you are, not how you look, and that is a testament to YOU.

Now, go take NYC by storm and get that date.  ;)

I think each of us has to find our own path, whether it is a leisurely stroll or an insane plunge into the unknown.  Much of the journey is itself the reward, as we reveal parts of our own character we didn't know existed, and learn about ourselves at each fork in the path we come to. 

I know I've learned quite a bit about myself on this journey.  It sounds like you are making some interesting self-discoveries as well.

Congratulations!
Earth my body, water my blood, air my breath and fire my spirit.

My personal transition path included medical changes.  The path others take may require no medical intervention, or different care.  We each find our own path. I provide these dates for the curious.
Electrolysis - Hours in The Chair: 238 (8.5 were preparing for GCS, five clearings); On estradiol patch June 2016; Full-time Oct 22, 2016; GCS Oct 20, 2017; FFS Aug 28, 2018; Stage 2 labiaplasty revision and BA Feb 26, 2019
Michelle's personal blog and biography
  •  

Bari Jo

I'm very impressed about the kids.  I'd like to have an experience like you did.  I wouldn't say kids and I actively avoid each other, but we aren't trying to be friends.  Dogs have always got me though.  I'd like to have kids are me, like dogs do, that would be heart warming for sure.

Bari Jo
you know how far the universe extends outward? i think i go inside just as deep.

10/11/18 - out to the whole world.  100% friends and family support.
11/6/17 - came out to sister, best day of my life
9/5/17 - formal diagnosis and stopping DIY in favor if prescribed HRT
6/18/17 - decided to stop fighting the trans beast, back on DIY.
Too many ups and downs, DIY, purges of self inbetween dates.
Age 10 - suppression and denial began
Age 8 - knew I was different
  •  

Faith

wow, so much went on since I disappeared last night. All I can say is AWESOME. Don't let the big city scare you, just drive like a maniac and you'll be fine. btw, I hate them as well, I prefer the backwoods where homes are 5 mi apart - minimum.

ps. I have chocolate ;D
I left the door open, only a few came through. such is my life.

•  

KathyLauren

I am glad that you are setting the wheels in motion for your GRS.  A bit step forward - congratulations!  We are at similar stages in our journeys: I just got my first surgery referral letter this week.

I am relieved that you are down off that fridge.  Too dusty up there!  Nobody likes dust in their wine, and dusty chocolate?  Eww, that's just wrong!

I am not surprised that you got re-elected as your club president.  People recognize ability.

That's interesting about kids.  I, too, am finding that I am more tolerant of kids.  I was in a waiting room yesterday, waiting to pick up my wife, and there was a little kid in the row in front of me in a car seat/carrier.  His mom picked him up and balanced him standing on her lap.  I spent an enjoyable five minutes playing peekaboo with him.  I wouldn't go so far as to say I like them, but they seem a lot less annoying now.
2015-07-04 Awakening; 2015-11-15 Out to self; 2016-06-22 Out to wife; 2016-10-27 First time presenting in public; 2017-01-20 Started HRT!!; 2017-04-20 Out publicly; 2017-07-10 Legal name change; 2019-02-15 Approval for GRS; 2019-08-02 Official gender change; 2020-03-11 GRS; 2020-09-17 New birth certificate
  •  

Jayne01

Quote from: Steph2.0 on January 10, 2018, 12:20:08 AM
Jayne, I wish you could be there to act as tour guide for me. I'm sure it's probably blown out of proportion, but all you hear about is the crime. And paying someone else to drive a car? How strange. And it sounds expensive, too. Sigh.
Every  time I've been to NYC, I felt safe. You just need to keep your wits about you from some people who try to swindle money out of you for some kind of cause. Some of those people may be genuine, others are just after your cash. It no different to any other big city. As far as being expensive, yeah there is no avoiding that. Be prepared to spend more than you think. The further in advance to cam book accomodation, usually the cheaper it is.

I also wish you could get excited for me...
What do you mean by this. I am very excited for you. Did you not get that from my last post.

Jayne
  •  

steph2.0

Quote from: Jayne01 on January 10, 2018, 12:46:12 PM
What do you mean by this. I am very excited for you. Did you not get that from my last post.

I was joking. I joke a lot.  8)

Stephanie

•  

Faith

Quote from: Steph2.0 on January 10, 2018, 12:49:26 PM
I was joking. I joke a lot.  8)

Stephanie

I'd do my humor/difficult concept quote again, but no one gets it.
I left the door open, only a few came through. such is my life.

•  

steph2.0

Quote from: Bari Jo on January 10, 2018, 04:09:14 AM
I'm very impressed about the kids.  I'd like to have an experience like you did.  I wouldn't say kids and I actively avoid each other, but we aren't trying to be friends.  Dogs have always got me though.  I'd like to have kids are me, like dogs do, that would be heart warming for sure.

Like Kathy, I'm not sure I'll ever actually like kids. In truth, they scare me a bit. I don't understand them, and I'm particularly afraid of the current way that parents can read evil motives into the most innocent things. Not without reason, I guess, but the wrong word or a touch can have the police taking you away if someone overreacts. It's why I choose to keep my distance.

Now dogs I understand, and they understand me, just as they do you. I'll take the company of a good dog over that of many humans!

Stephanie

PS: How's your buddy doing?

•  

steph2.0

Quote from: Faith on January 10, 2018, 12:54:42 PM
I'd do my humor/difficult concept quote again, but no one gets it.

Ummm... What do you mean?

•  

SassyCassie

Quote from: Steph2.0 on January 09, 2018, 10:45:53 PM
I've got to keep writing or Cassie's going to surpass me, dangit.

Seriously, Steph? Really? I'm reading this on Page 40 of your personal thread, fer cryin' out loud!  ;D

I think I have a ways to go before even coming close to the magnitude of posting you have done.

Hugs!
  •