Please be sure to review The Site terms of service, and rules to live by

Main Menu

The Stephanie Chronicles

Started by steph2.0, September 17, 2017, 11:42:47 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

steph2.0

Quote from: ChrissyRyan on February 12, 2018, 09:36:08 PM
Stephanie,

You might enjoy seeing the Star Trek stuff at the Science Fiction/Pop Culture Museum (its name may have changed) in Seattle.  The museum I am thinking of is next to the Space Needle.

Chrissy

Cool, thanks Chrissy! Yet another reason to go back to Seattle. I'm getting quite a list of them!

While I enjoyed seeing new things before, since I've allowed myself to be I have this insatiable craving to go out with arms wide and just soak in the world as me. Seattle will have to be one of the stops.

- Stephanie

Assigned male at birth 1958 * Began envying sister 1963 * Knew unquestioningly that I was female 1968 * Acted the male part for 50 years * Meltdown and first therapist session May 2017 * Began HRT 6/21/17 * Out to the world 10/13/17 * Name Change 12/7/2017 (Girl Harbor Day) * FFS With FacialTeam 12/4/2018 * Facelift and Lipo Body Sculpting at Ocean Clinic 6/13-14/2019 * GCS with Marci Bowers 9/25/2019
  •  

Cassi

HRT since 1/04/2018
  •  

steph2.0

I don't Facebook a lot - my last post there had been on January 15th. But I had such a good time on Sunday that I posted some pictures and a blurb about it. I just now popped in to see what people thought about it. I reread the short description I'd written and something seemed different about it.

I realized something profound.

All of my posts since I'd reactivated the account back in October had in one way or another been about transitioning. This last one was about just living. While I wrote in-depth here about what it all meant to my new life, I apparently didn't think those things were worth mentioning on Facebook. I hadn't even realized what I'd done until now.

Just as Sarah hadn't realized until later that she'd wrote about taking cake to work to share with the other ladies, it seems like another milestone passed.

Stephanie

Assigned male at birth 1958 * Began envying sister 1963 * Knew unquestioningly that I was female 1968 * Acted the male part for 50 years * Meltdown and first therapist session May 2017 * Began HRT 6/21/17 * Out to the world 10/13/17 * Name Change 12/7/2017 (Girl Harbor Day) * FFS With FacialTeam 12/4/2018 * Facelift and Lipo Body Sculpting at Ocean Clinic 6/13-14/2019 * GCS with Marci Bowers 9/25/2019
  •  

Cassi

Quote from: Steph2.0 on February 13, 2018, 05:40:49 AM
I don't Facebook a lot - my last post there had been on January 15th. But I had such a good time on Sunday that I posted some pictures and a blurb about it. I just now popped in to see what people thought about it. I reread the short description I'd written and something seemed different about it.

I realized something profound.

All of my posts since I'd reactivated the account back in October had in one way or another been about transitioning. This last one was about just living. While I wrote in-depth here about what it all meant to my new life, I apparently didn't think those things were worth mentioning on Facebook. I hadn't even realized what I'd done until now.

Just as Sarah hadn't realized until later that she'd wrote about taking cake to work to share with the other ladies, it seems like another milestone passed.

Stephanie

That's awesome!
HRT since 1/04/2018
  •  

steph2.0

I hope I'm not boring everyone with these updates, but I kind of consider this thread to be my journal now. So here's the fun stuff that happened today...

Actually, it started out not so fun. I thought I'd experiment with curls today. Washed my hair, then used some of that mousse stuff, and tried my curling iron. Meh results. So I thought I'd try wrapping my hair around my brush and using the blow dryer on it. HUUUGE MISTAKE! My hair was wrapped into the brush... and I couldn't unwrap it. It was rolled up against my head and wouldn't come loose. I was terrified that I wouldn't be able to get it out and I'd have to cut the hair. Panic and tears. If I had to cut it, since it was right up against my head, I'd be effectively bald.

After finally getting my brain back together, my solution was to get some long nose pliers and basically disassemble the brush. I pulled bristles out one by one until I could finally unwind my hair. And that's why I now have new brushes. And I still have my hair. Crisis averted...

Next project: get a problem straightened out with a bank concerning my old name on the account. Long story, but after thinking I could get it all done online, I finally hit a wall and had to make a phone call. I'd been putting it off for about a week, and finally had no other choice. So I warmed up my "voice" and called. Strangely enough I was put directly through to a nice lady. After doing my best to avoid the subject, I finally had to out myself to her. She was confused at first, since my voice was apparently more appropriate for my new name (yay!), then after I told her about my old name she thought that I was trying to set up an account for my daughter Stephanie. Then she finally understood, and I was just Stephanie to her for the rest of the conversation. After many technical trials and tribulations we got everything straightened out, and I was treated very well for the rest of the call, which ended with her asking, "Is there anything else I can do for you today, Stephanie?" It was another case of "What the heck was I worried about?" and another hurdle jumped.

Then it was on to trying to figure out why I hadn't heard from Dr. Ting's office at Mt. Sinai hospital in New York. I'd contacted them at the beginning of January and communication was very good with the first two emails. I provided them the paperwork they needed, and then I waited. I sent them two other messages letting them know my progress with letters and doctor's appointments, and asked a few simple questions, to which I haven't had even an acknowledgement. So I called, hoping to talk to the person who'd last sent me an email. Again I practiced my voice, and ended up leaving a message with the service with a promise that it would be passed along. So once again I wait. But at least the call went as well as it could.

Finally it was time to venture out into the cold world again. I'd been putting off going to the post office to mail a package, and getting the propane tank for my grill refilled, for almost two weeks. Once again, something that used to be so familiar and ordinary became a big adventure when doing it as my new self for the first time. I grabbed that very special package that had been waiting to go to my sister, along with the empty propane tank, threw them into the roller skate, and skittered off into town. I'll tell you what's in the package later, since the recipient of the package likes to keep tabs on me here (hey little sister!), but suffice to say that there was no issue at the post office at all. The nice lady asked all the questions I've been asked a hundred times before, I swiped my credit card - the one with the correct name on it - was told to "Have a good day" by the nice lady, and off to the propane place I buzzed with a grin on my face.

I've gotten the tanks refilled there countless times in the ten years I've lived here. The same old hispanic gentleman came around on his golf cart as always, and I had the tank waiting on the scale, despite it seeming unusually heavy. He connected it up, I gave him the cash, and we talked about how busy he was that day, and how the weather was starting to get hot again, while the tank was pumped full of boom juice. When it was done he disconnected, and nicely carried the tank over to the nice lady's car and loaded it for her (I was glad of it - when I unloaded it at home, there must have been a gravity storm in my area. It was a lot heavier than I remember). Another wish for a nice day, and my grin got a little wider. Time for grocery shopping at Wally World.

I'd done this particular task before as my new self, and had been unremarkably successful, so I didn't expect any trouble - and there wasn't any. Once again it was completely affirming as I loaded my cart with some new hairbrushes (see above, ugh), some fancy maroon nail polish (with sparklies!) and a bunch of groceries. In every personal encounter my smile was returned. A nice gentleman made a point to move out of my way with an apology when he saw me coming, and nobody looked twice at me. Generally I use the self-checkout, but this time I decided to push the envelope and deal with a cashier. And she was so nice. "Would you like your milk in a bag, ma'am?" The next cashier kept joking with her about how fast she was moving, and I ended up being part of the fun, telling her that her Fitbit was going to be very happy with her for working so hard. Smiles and banter all around. How fun! "Would you like to put your nail polish in your purse, ma'am?" Once again I got to use that magic piece of plastic with that beautiful new name on it, and left with "You have a nice day now, ma'am!" echoing in my head.

Holy smokes, it's almost 5:30! I raced home, threw all the cold stuff into the fridge, and buzzed back to the local restaurant to run the meeting of our flying club. By coincidence I happened to have on a donated blouse with the EAA logo on it, so I was already appropriately dressed. Everyone in the club knows my story, but I'm not sure about our waitress. I don't think she suspected anything, because she thought my wife was going to be on the same tab with our guy friend who was sitting on the other side of her from me. The waitress seemed slightly surprised that Sue and I would be on the same ticket instead. Heh heh. The meeting went as usual, which is exactly what I wanted. It was the typical herding cats scenario that had become so familiar to me as I ran these meetings for the last seven years, where the boisterous fun completely swamps any attempt at Roberts Rules of Order. And I loved it. Everyone got my name right, even those who'd had the most trouble adapting, and I felt right at home among them all as Stephanie.

I got home and took the Magster for a walk while still basking in the glow of a great affirming day. I wrote a reply to an email from my cool sister, started making arrangements for a meetup with Faith and her wife, traded a bunch of messages and enjoyed a video chat with Cassie (who'd had great adventures of her own today), and wrote this up. And here it is, way too late again.

On the surface it seems like it should be just another boring day of chores and running around. But right now everything is extraordinary, since I can do it as the person I've never allowed myself to be, despite that painful need. Nobody who hasn't been through this could ever understand just how wonderful it is to be myself - and none of you need an explanation.

For those who've gone before, thank you for showing me the way. For those just getting started, this is what you have to look forward to. Don't let the fear slow you down. Whatever you're afraid of is probably not going to happen, and if it does, you're strong enough to deal with it.

Stephanie

•  

Bari Jo

Wow. What an affirming day all around.  I can't help but be amazed how much further along you are compared to me and we started hrt around the same time.  I don't think I can be in that situation for another six months at least.  You are awesome Steph!

Bari Jo
you know how far the universe extends outward? i think i go inside just as deep.

10/11/18 - out to the whole world.  100% friends and family support.
11/6/17 - came out to sister, best day of my life
9/5/17 - formal diagnosis and stopping DIY in favor if prescribed HRT
6/18/17 - decided to stop fighting the trans beast, back on DIY.
Too many ups and downs, DIY, purges of self inbetween dates.
Age 10 - suppression and denial began
Age 8 - knew I was different
  •  

KathyLauren

What a great day, Stephanie!  I am glad you are enjoying real life so much, because it doesn't get old.  I am at ten months full-time, and the joy of being myself hasn't grown old yet.  There's a lot more of the same ahead of you.

Just think, cis women take this for granted!  I can't imagine taking it for granted, ever.
2015-07-04 Awakening; 2015-11-15 Out to self; 2016-06-22 Out to wife; 2016-10-27 First time presenting in public; 2017-01-20 Started HRT!!; 2017-04-20 Out publicly; 2017-07-10 Legal name change; 2019-02-15 Approval for GRS; 2019-08-02 Official gender change; 2020-03-11 GRS; 2020-09-17 New birth certificate
  •  

Charlie Nicki

This thread has become so extremely positive in the past few weeks and I love it. Not that it was negative before but I mean that a few pages back you were feeling down about this journey and had many fears, it is so inspiring to see you overcome everything and finally enjoy life. I hope to be there soon.
Latina :) I speak Spanish, English and a bit of Portuguese.
  •  

Michelle_P

Quote from: Charlie Nicki on February 14, 2018, 07:17:26 AM
This thread has become so extremely positive in the past few weeks and I love it. Not that it was negative before but I mean that a few pages back you were feeling down about this journey and had many fears, it is so inspiring to see you overcome everything and finally enjoy life. I hope to be there soon.

I've noticed this as well. Stephanie is really hitting her stride now! This is one of the best times in a transition, really. I do love reading about it.

Congratulations and thank you, Stephanie.
Earth my body, water my blood, air my breath and fire my spirit.

My personal transition path included medical changes.  The path others take may require no medical intervention, or different care.  We each find our own path. I provide these dates for the curious.
Electrolysis - Hours in The Chair: 238 (8.5 were preparing for GCS, five clearings); On estradiol patch June 2016; Full-time Oct 22, 2016; GCS Oct 20, 2017; FFS Aug 28, 2018; Stage 2 labiaplasty revision and BA Feb 26, 2019
Michelle's personal blog and biography
  •  

steph2.0

Thank you, everyone.

It's my pleasure, literally.

- Stephanie

•  

steph2.0

Quote from: KathyLauren on February 14, 2018, 06:18:34 AM
What a great day, Stephanie!  I am glad you are enjoying real life so much, because it doesn't get old.  I am at ten months full-time, and the joy of being myself hasn't grown old yet.  There's a lot more of the same ahead of you.

Just think, cis women take this for granted!  I can't imagine taking it for granted, ever.

Wow, I really get to live this euphoria for the rest of my life? That's a profound realization, and just magnifies the joy. Thank you, Kathy!

- Stephanie

•  

steph2.0

Quote from: Charlie Nicki on February 14, 2018, 07:17:26 AM

Well, I suspect there will other down times. I'm keeping a close eye in that 28-day cycle theory of mine, which falls at the end of the month. Maybe I can plan around it if it does come to pass.

I hope what I'm experiencing isn't "irrational exuberance." Everything is going nearly flawlessly, and the things that aren't haven't been as bad as I'd feared. I do wonder how I'll deal with getting clocked or ridiculed in public. It's bound to happen some time. We'll see.

But in the meantime, I'm enjoying the ride.

- Stephanie

•  

KathyLauren

Quote from: Steph2.0 on February 14, 2018, 10:35:13 AM
Wow, I really get to live this euphoria for the rest of my life? That's a profound realization, and just magnifies the joy. Thank you, Kathy!

- Stephanie
Well, I can't guarantee that there won't be bumps.  But the joy is always accessible, because it is in you.
2015-07-04 Awakening; 2015-11-15 Out to self; 2016-06-22 Out to wife; 2016-10-27 First time presenting in public; 2017-01-20 Started HRT!!; 2017-04-20 Out publicly; 2017-07-10 Legal name change; 2019-02-15 Approval for GRS; 2019-08-02 Official gender change; 2020-03-11 GRS; 2020-09-17 New birth certificate
  •  

Laurie

Ho Hum. Another day in the life of another exuberant teenager. All bubbly today  ;D and the inevitable world ending crisis tomorrow. Sigh  :'( . I just don't know what to think of this young lady.  >:-) >:-) >:-) ;D ;D

Seriously S(((T)e)ph((a)ni)e), It is a joy to read your posts and see more and more of the highs stringing together for you and less and less of the lows as you adapt into your new life. It is a wonderful inspirations for those that follow in your footsteps. It is also of value to them as they get to see that this is not an easy thing that we do. There are setbacks and hard times and yet by keeping on the right path there are victories and rewards to be had if we but keep putting one foot in front of the other. Every step is progress toward that goal we seek to reach in becoming the person we had only wished we could be. Live the dream Stephanie.

Hugs,
  Laurie
April 13, 2019 switched to estradiol valerate
December 20, 2018    Referral sent to OHSU Dr Dugi  for vaginoplasty consult
December 10, 2018    Second Letter VA Psychiatric Practical nurse
November 15, 2018    First letter from VA therapist
May 11, 2018 I am Laurie Jeanette Wickwire
May   3, 2018 Submitted name change forms
Aug 26, 2017 another increase in estradiol
Jun  26, 2017 Last day in male attire That's full time I guess
May 20, 2017 doubled estradiol
May 18, 2017 started electrolysis
Dec   4, 2016 Started estradiol and spironolactone

•  

Faith

Wow, Steph, Lots of ups in there following a hair raising experience. Good for you.

I followed up with a PM, if you don't read it I swear I'm going to pester you via email!!
I left the door open, only a few came through. such is my life.

•  

Kendra

YES!!  Don't stall.  You go girl.

Quote from: Steph2.0 on February 14, 2018, 02:00:46 AM
> Don't let the fear slow you down.

Assigned male at birth 1963.  Decided I wanted to be a girl in 1971.  Laser 2014-16, electrolysis 2015-17, HRT 7/2017, GCS 1/2018, VFS 3/2018, FFS 5/2018, Labiaplasty & BA 7/2018. 
  •  

mm

Stephanie,  You have had a great transition so far and it should continue as you have a positive altitude toward everything. Don't get concerned about having a 28 day cycle; I still have a real 28 day cycle and even for me a positive altitude sure helps me get through it every month.  Continued good luck to you on everything.  Wish I could come to Florida and have a plane ride with you.
  •  

steph2.0

Got my latest lab tests back today. Estradiol is at 173 pg/mL. I think that's good. At the last followup the endo said she likes to see it under 200. Does that sound right?

For some reason this clinic doesn't test for testosterone, so I still have no idea where that is. Based on the effects so far, though, it must be low to non-existent.

The cool thing? My clinic called Quest and updated the paperwork. There's a note at the top of the report saying, "An update or correction has been made to sex."

And for the first time, the estradiol number is shown in green, within range for my sex of F.  :)

Stephanie

•  

steph2.0

Quote from: Steph2.0 on February 14, 2018, 02:00:46 AM
Then it was on to trying to figure out why I hadn't heard from Dr. Ting's office at Mt. Sinai hospital in New York.
I called, hoping to talk to the person who'd last sent me an email. Again I practiced my voice, and ended up leaving a message with the service with a promise that it would be passed along. So once again I wait.

OK everyone, all together now:

SQUEEEEEE!

I can't hear you!

SQUEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEE!!!

Guess who called today?

I have a consultation on March 9th in New York City with the team at Mount Sinai hospital!!

We have a phone appointment for next Tuesday to talk about the details.

Rachel, Moni, Michelle, Kendra, and all the others who've gone before... Thank you. I'm on my way to joining your ranks.

OMG. This is really happening...

Stephanie

•  

Kendra

SQUEEEEEE!

I know this isn't the case with you but - nobody should ever feel pressured to have a particular procedure or goal.  For those of us who want to it is so rewarding, but those who have not are just as transitioned in my book. 

Alright now I can say
SQUEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEE!!!

So happy for ya!
Assigned male at birth 1963.  Decided I wanted to be a girl in 1971.  Laser 2014-16, electrolysis 2015-17, HRT 7/2017, GCS 1/2018, VFS 3/2018, FFS 5/2018, Labiaplasty & BA 7/2018. 
  •