News:

Visit our Discord server  and Wiki

Main Menu

The Stephanie Chronicles

Started by steph2.0, September 17, 2017, 11:42:47 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

PollyQMcLovely

Quote from: Steph2.0 on February 27, 2018, 06:07:23 PM
It would be so appreciated if you would all apply your sense of high style and let me know what you think.

Not the ones with the full rim.

You can skip the rest of this if you're looking for further fashion advice. As for the rest I don't have a favorite because I'm heavily biased against glasses in general. I used to be legally blind before I had Lasik and ever since I've been so so grateful to never need glasses again. Plus I hated the way I looked in every single pair of glasses I wore from like 3rd grade to my sophomore year of college.

Edit: You look fantastic by the way.

2nd edit: What color are your eyes? Could that be something to consider when choosing the color of the frame?
  •  

steph2.0

Quote from: PollyQMcLovely on February 27, 2018, 06:27:01 PM
Not the ones with the full rim.

You can skip the rest of this if you're looking for further fashion advice. As for the rest I don't have a favorite because I'm heavily biased against glasses in general. I used to be legally blind before I had Lasik and ever since I've been so so grateful to never need glasses again. Plus I hated the way I looked in every single pair of glasses I wore from like 3rd grade to my sophomore year of college.

Edit: You look fantastic by the way.

2nd edit: What color are your eyes? Could that be something to consider when choosing the color of the frame?

Thanks Polly,

I had to take pictures without glasses to use on the Zenni website, and after seeing them I got to thinking about contacts. LASIK would be wonderful but I have too many other expenses coming up that have higher priority (GCS comes to mind), and I have an aversion to putting anything in my eyes since I tried the first soft contacts wayyyy back in the late 70s. I hear they're completely different and better nowadays. Maybe someday I'll give them a try. In the meantime I'll use the specs as a fashion accessory. I need all the help I can get.

I guess I'd call my eye color sorta grayish/hazelish/bluish.

I like those purplish glasses but wonder if they'd limit my color choices for clothes/makeup, etc.

Thanks for the compliment, by the way!

- Stephanie

Assigned male at birth 1958 * Began envying sister 1963 * Knew unquestioningly that I was female 1968 * Acted the male part for 50 years * Meltdown and first therapist session May 2017 * Began HRT 6/21/17 * Out to the world 10/13/17 * Name Change 12/7/2017 (Girl Harbor Day) * FFS With FacialTeam 12/4/2018 * Facelift and Lipo Body Sculpting at Ocean Clinic 6/13-14/2019 * GCS with Marci Bowers 9/25/2019
  •  

PollyQMcLovely

QuoteI like those purplish glasses but wonder if they'd limit my color choices for clothes/makeup, etc.

- Stephanie

I too fancied the purplish hue but would worry about it clashing with other apparel. Also, and the following isn't to be taken too seriously, but I don't think purple can be taken too seriously so if you're at an funeral or something you'd have to cover the frame up with duct tape and tell people they're broken.

I'm also very squeamish when it comes to things getting near my eyes. I was never able to self apply contact lenses and I even had help once, I think like my dad held my head to a table while the eye doctor (eyewear salesman? I forget) tried to pop them on but I flopped around like a fish on a mechanical bull. So when it came time to get Lasik I was concerned I'd make things too difficult for the technicians. But they gave me a valium ahead of time and then they gave me a teddy bear to squeeze as they hooked me up to the Clockwork Orange machine. Then they zapped me so fast it was over before I knew it and it was completely painless.
  •  

Kendra

Eye definitely like the half-rim better than full rim.

Eye also like purple but wouldn't recommend a bright color for something you plan to wear every day.  You look great, no reason to distract from that... eye would just go with a less noticeable color, and if you want to add something bold there is always jewelry etc. 
Assigned male at birth 1963.  Decided I wanted to be a girl in 1971.  Laser 2014-16, electrolysis 2015-17, HRT 7/2017, GCS 1/2018, VFS 3/2018, FFS 5/2018, Labiaplasty & BA 7/2018. 
  •  

Faith

I'd put in my fashion 2 cents if I had any.

Steph, you look good in all of them. I agree with Kendra though. I like the purples but not for day wear. And forget about full frames.  for what that's worth without the 2 cents.
I left the door open, only a few came through. such is my life.

•  

Laurie

Hey I like my purple glasses !! Hush you two.
April 13, 2019 switched to estradiol valerate
December 20, 2018    Referral sent to OHSU Dr Dugi  for vaginoplasty consult
December 10, 2018    Second Letter VA Psychiatric Practical nurse
November 15, 2018    First letter from VA therapist
May 11, 2018 I am Laurie Jeanette Wickwire
May   3, 2018 Submitted name change forms
Aug 26, 2017 another increase in estradiol
Jun  26, 2017 Last day in male attire That's full time I guess
May 20, 2017 doubled estradiol
May 18, 2017 started electrolysis
Dec   4, 2016 Started estradiol and spironolactone

•  

Sarah_P

I like the 4th one down (green?). It's a nice bit of color that doesn't distract from your eyes, and (hopefully) your attire. But you look good in all of them!
--Sarah P

There's a world out there, just waiting
If you only let go what's inside
Live every moment, give it your all, enjoy the ride
- Stan Bush, The Journey

•  

steph2.0

Thanks y'all for the input. It was a tough decision, but I just ordered the second ones down. I read the reviews, and though the website calls the color brown, the reviewers say it's closer to black. I realized a while ago that sage green seems to go well with my hair, so the green bows should add some color without being overwhelming.

And wow... thanks for all the nice compliments! I'll model the real things for you when I get them.

Stylin' Stephanie

Assigned male at birth 1958 * Began envying sister 1963 * Knew unquestioningly that I was female 1968 * Acted the male part for 50 years * Meltdown and first therapist session May 2017 * Began HRT 6/21/17 * Out to the world 10/13/17 * Name Change 12/7/2017 (Girl Harbor Day) * FFS With FacialTeam 12/4/2018 * Facelift and Lipo Body Sculpting at Ocean Clinic 6/13-14/2019 * GCS with Marci Bowers 9/25/2019
  •  

steph2.0

it's been a while since I inflicted another episode of my life story on you all, so now's the time to run...

Anybody left? <crickets>

Gonna write anyway. First, an update on the Mt. Sinai adventure: In my previous post (https://www.susans.org/forums/index.php/topic,228563.msg2095363.html#msg2095363) I talked about not being able to see Dr. Ting at the same time as the rest of the people I have to meet. I emailed the person who's on the medical team to see if she had any insight into that, and also whether GCS in 2018 was even a possibility. And I waited, and waited. I finally decided to call, hoping that might break things loose. I talked to an answering service and left a message, and surprise! I got a reply to my email that afternoon. No phone call, though. She suggested that I meet with Dr. Ting along with everyone else in September, because no matter when I saw the rest of the crew, there was no way I was going to see Ting before September anyway. This after my original contact told me that if I split up the appointments, I'd be able to see Ting much earlier. Good grief. The other news was they don't expect I could get the surgery until early in 2019. I won't repeat why that has me worried.

I wrote back, asking specifically if Dr. Ting was actively performing the peritoneal method on trans women. I also told her that my schedule is very flexible, so I could be available almost any time they have an opening. And, of course, I have gotten no reply.

I decided that I needed answers as soon as possible. I can't wait until September to get my questions answered, so I stuck with the March 16th appointment. If I don't like what I hear, I won't have to go back again, and I'll look elsewhere. If I do like what I hear, I won't mind making another trip to meet with the doctor.

I've got to say, I expected a lot better than this from an institution as respected as Mount Sinai. Their communication just sucks, and I feel like a second or third class citizen. I've said it before, if Dr. Ting wasn't the only one that I know of performing the peritoneal method (if indeed he's actually doing that) I'd be going elsewhere right now. So we'll take a short vacation in NYC and hear them out.

As for NYC, thank you to all the lovely people who offered advice to a New York newbie. I got recommendations from mistyjensen, PollyQMcLovely, KarynMcD, Sydney_NYC, Kendra, and probably others who my poor memory has lost. We will be flying into LaGuardia on the 14th, and checking into the Hampton Inn Manhattan Downtown at the far south end of Manhattan. While we got recommendations for other hotels, and seriously considered AirBNB, we decided to play it safe for the first time there and go with somebody we know.

We'll do touristy stuff on the afternoon of the 14th and all day on the 15th, then go to the appointments on the morning of the 16th. Then it's off for more touristing. We'll do a little more of that on the morning of the 17th, then fly back home in the evening. Any locals who want to meet up while we're wandering around with our mouths open, let me know. I've gotten plenty of recommendations on where to go and what to do, though I can't remember even a fraction of them.

-----------------

One thing I may not have mentioned about my last visit to my primary care doctor: He's says I have to get a mammogram. So I had to call the imaging place and set up an appointment. No misgendering on the phone, though I wasn't happy with my voice, but I guess the assumption that anybody calling for a mammogram must be female got me through. She did ask whether it had been more than a year since my last one. Uhh, yeah. I'm debating whether it's even necessary to tell them that I'm trans, though I probably will just in case there's some reason they need to know. I'll wait 'til I get there and decide then.

-----------------

Passports. Ugh. I'm starting to get paranoid about the way our government is treating LGBT folks. When I went to the local courthouse to get the process started, the lady was nice but inexperienced with dealing with name and gender changes. She said it would be perfectly OK to send in a copy of the doctor's letter for the gender change, though I had my doubts. And sure enough, I got a letter from the state department saying they needed an original signed letter. Not thinking too much about it, I had my only copy on its way to them via standard mail the very same day. And... two weeks later, I got another identical letter from them asking for a signed copy. I called the Passport Information Center, and after getting bumped up to a supervisor, they decided that they knew nothing about how it worked, and sent a message to the big boys in the State Department's New Orleans Passport Center. Apparently the Passport Information Center is a contractor that can't answer anything beyond, "Dude, where's my passport?" I was told that I would be called within two weeks. Thursday will be two weeks, and I've heard nothing. I will call again on Thursday and start making some noise, and I'll try to get another signed copy of my letter from the clinic tomorrow. If I have to send it, it'll be overnight, insured, registered, and signature required.

What has me wondering is in the letter they sent, they provide a link: travel.state.gov/LGBT. It's dead. 404. I did a text search on their entire site, and LGBT turned up in only one place, about visiting some other small country. It feels like we've been purged from the government. This is the first time I've ever felt discriminated against during my transition, and it's by my own government. Maybe I'm just being paranoid, but the current administration seems to be not only apathetic toward LGBT, but actively hostile. I'm trying not to let it add to the burden that's getting me down right now (see below), but... but... I don't know what. I'm speechless.

Update: I did some more snooping around, and found this page: https://travel.state.gov/content/travel/en/international-travel/before-you-go/travelers-with-special-considerations/lgbti.html. So maybe things aren't quite as bad as it seems. Still haven't gotten a call, though.

-----------------

The last thing I wanted to mention is I'm prepping for my first electrocution (ok, you purists, electrolysis) session tomorrow, or as Cassie calls it, HNT (Hot Needle Torture). I haven't shaved since Saturday morning, and I'm having a very hard time with it. Even in my previous life I hated not being clean-shaven, and now it's dredged up some terrible dysphoria. I don't know how you all deal with it, but I'm not sure I can handle it every single week for years. Yesterday I was on the edge of tears all day, though the dam never actually broke, thanks to some mutual therapy via many many text messages with Cassie. Misery loves company I guess, and we were both having a hard time. Remember my theory about my monthly period? Well, if that had anything to do with it, it was a little early, but it also seems like Cassie and I have gotten in sync. That's not good. One of us is supposed to be up when the other is down. And the theory still isn't proven beyond doubt. It could just be this damned beard. I feel like I could join ZZ Top. It's interesting that the pictures I used for the glasses website were taken today, and nobody noticed. I did get my act together enough this afternoon to take Maggie for a walk, and ended up talking to one of my supportive neighbors about glasses choices, and when I mentioned the facial growth she told me that she hadn't even noticed. So a lot of the fuzziness might be in my head, instead of on it. But there's nothing new about that...

Anyway, I've got to get some sleep before I drive 1:15 to get to HNT tomorrow. Thanks for letting me unload on... oh, where is everybody?

G'Night.

Stephanie

•  

PollyQMcLovely

I hope you enjoy your trip to the greatest city ever. Make sure to try street meat and see Central Park.

I don't know how to handle the information that you couldn't get a consultation with Ting until September and were told the surgery date wouldn't be until 2019. I started my HRT at Sinai and I really wanted to keep all my various medical procedures under the same roof but EXPLETIVES more cursing punching of air I can't bear the thought having to wait that long or longer. Is it because he is the only one that does that procedure?

Arghh, I'm gonna go revisit that DIY Vaginoplasty thread from earlier.

Edit: oh and I wasn't trying to make light of the long wait situation, I truly can't stop my brain from telling me we need to come up with a plan to ensure the earliest SRS date possible. It never leaves my mind.
  •  

SadieBlake

Stephanie, I have to say, get used to being 2nd class, we're female.

Given I've read on wired that yes, Ting is doing this, sounds like that's a great choice, you can also bet their office is even more swamped than all the other docs doing vaginoplasties. My friend had a 2 week wait for a call back from Bluebond-Langer and it took Heidi Wittenberg's office a week to call me back to talk about a revision for my clitoral hood.

As to the vagaries of dealing with the state department, you've got me rethinking ever changing my legal name :-(
🌈👭 lesbian, troublemaker ;-) 🌈🏳️‍🌈
  •  

steph2.0

Quote from: PollyQMcLovely on February 27, 2018, 07:38:31 PM
I flopped around like a fish on a mechanical bull.

This is a vivid movie in my brain now. And yet I can't help thinking, "I'll have what she's having."

- Stephanie

•  

KathyLauren

Hi, Steph. 

It wouldn't surprise me if most SRS surgeons have poor front-office communications.  Brassard certainly has that reputation, too.  No one here can get a straight answer about what letters they require, and people have had their application rejected for not having the right ones, a situation that could have been avoided if the'd just answer questions.  I suppose that they don't have to make an effort because demand exceeds supply.

Good luck in the Big Apple.

I hear you on the passport hassles!  It's bad enough deling with three governments that are officially LGBT-friendly.  I can't imagine what it would be like dealing with one that is actively hostile.

Electrocutionlysis: yes, it sucks.  I hate walking around for three days with stubble.   I try to face it bravely.  After all, I'm a proud trans woman, and I have nothing to hide.  I just f'n dare anyone to make a sarcastic or hostile comment.  And yet, I hate it.  It looks and feels so horrible and scuzzy and male.  The only saving grace is that I didn't have much dark hair, and laser got rid of most of that.  What's left is mostly white, and doesn't show as badly as I think it does.  Or so I tell myself.  I also tell myself that the pain will be worth it.
2015-07-04 Awakening; 2015-11-15 Out to self; 2016-06-22 Out to wife; 2016-10-27 First time presenting in public; 2017-01-20 Started HRT!!; 2017-04-20 Out publicly; 2017-07-10 Legal name change; 2019-02-15 Approval for GRS; 2019-08-02 Official gender change; 2020-03-11 GRS; 2020-09-17 New birth certificate
  •  

steph2.0

Quote from: Kendra on February 27, 2018, 07:45:20 PM
if you want to add something bold there is always jewelry etc.

Eye tried that once, but it kept getting in my eyes.

- Stephanie

•  

Faith

Quoteand if you want to add something bold there is always jewelry etc

Quote from: Steph2.0 on February 28, 2018, 06:57:20 AM
Eye tried that once, but it kept getting in my eyes.
- Stephanie

ACK!!

disclaimer: Not sure how long the image will post, not my source link.
I left the door open, only a few came through. such is my life.

•  

steph2.0

Quote from: Laurie on February 27, 2018, 08:17:27 PM
Hey I like my purple glasses !! Hush you two.

Yours look great. The rims are quite narrow so it isn't as noticeable as the one I was looking at. If I could afford more than one, I'd definitely get #1 or #3 for fun. But while the deals look good on the frames, by the time I add progressives with even minimal coatings, the price is well over $100.

- Stephanie

•  

steph2.0

•  

steph2.0

Quote from: PollyQMcLovely on February 28, 2018, 02:33:57 AM
I hope you enjoy your trip to the greatest city ever. Make sure to try street meat and see Central Park.

[emoji44] Street meat?!

I think one of our local restaurants serves that. The restaurant where there's a suspicious lack of mammalian wildlife around.

I don't know how to handle the information that you couldn't get a consultation with Ting until September and were told the surgery date wouldn't be until 2019. I started my HRT at Sinai and I really wanted to keep all my various medical procedures under the same roof but EXPLETIVES more cursing punching of air I can't bear the thought having to wait that long or longer. Is it because he is the only one that does that procedure?

Arghh, I'm gonna go revisit that DIY Vaginoplasty thread from earlier.

Edit: oh and I wasn't trying to make light of the long wait situation, I truly can't stop my brain from telling me we need to come up with a plan to ensure the earliest SRS date possible. It never leaves my mind.

Oh gosh, please stay away from anything DIY. I don't think you're serious, but that idea completely freaks me out.

Of course I want to be complete as soon as possible, but I could be patient if not for the fear of losing my insurance. No reason to outline it here - I talked about it at length in other posts.

- Stephanie

•  

steph2.0

Quote from: SadieBlake on February 28, 2018, 06:35:33 AM
Stephanie, I have to say, get used to being 2nd class, we're female.

Given I've read on wired that yes, Ting is doing this, sounds like that's a great choice, you can also bet their office is even more swamped than all the other docs doing vaginoplasties. My friend had a 2 week wait for a call back from Bluebond-Langer and it took Heidi Wittenberg's office a week to call me back to talk about a revision for my clitoral hood.

As to the vagaries of dealing with the state department, you've got me rethinking ever changing my legal name :-(

I'm trying hard not to redevelop the old negative viewpoint I used to have, and to be honest, I don't think specific gender has much to do with the roadblocks I'm running into. Obviously the doctors have much more demand than supply, so they don't need to be responsive. Good customer service and simple courtesy apparently aren't necessary when there are people beating down your door.

As for the passport thing... active prejudice or simple government incompetency? Sometimes it's hard to tell them apart. I can say, though, that this is the very first time I've run into any kind of problem with name and gender changes. The local court, the social security office, the DMV, were all not only very efficient, but smiling and congratulatory. So don't let this one thing slow you down!

- Stephanie

•  

steph2.0

Quote from: KathyLauren on February 28, 2018, 06:56:15 AMIt wouldn't surprise me if most SRS surgeons have poor front-office communications.  Brassard certainly has that reputation, too.

That surprises me. The reviews I've read are glowing, but I guess that's for the doctor and his work, and people tend to forget the administrative hassles if they're happy with the end result. At least I know this isn't an isolated thing. It's a shame that these people don't seem to understand or care that we're already in a fragile state when we come to them, and being treated this way by people we'd expect to be helpful and supportive is the last thing we should expect. But I guess pushing through the crap just makes us stronger. Sometimes I wonder whether Mt. Sinai is deliberately making it hard to test our resolve.

QuoteElectrocutionlysis: yes, it sucks.  I hate walking around for three days with stubble ... It looks and feels so horrible and scuzzy and male.  The only saving grace is that I didn't have much dark hair, and laser got rid of most of that.  What's left is mostly white, and doesn't show as badly as I think it does.  Or so I tell myself.  I also tell myself that the pain will be worth it.

Mine is all white now, too, after five laser sessions. I guess it isn't noticeable, but I still hate it, and the thought of having to do this every week for literally years is freaking me out. I have a dear friend who has decided to use the service in Texas. She's done some in-depth analysis and her logic looks pretty convincing that not only is it tons faster, but it ends up being cheaper, too, even with travel and lodging. I'm seriously considering it.

Gotta go get ready for the HNT, followed by lunch with Cassie, some shopping, and a T-Network meetup this evening.

- Stephanie

•