Visit our Discord server  and Wiki

Main Menu

The Stephanie Chronicles

Started by steph2.0, September 17, 2017, 11:42:47 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

steph2.0

Quote from: Jayne01 on April 17, 2018, 02:36:08 AM
Hi Steph,

I'm very glad to hear your mother is well and recovering.

Sun-n-fun sounds like it was a lot of......well, fun!!! I heard some of your announcing from the clip Kendra recorded. You sound good and like you were right at home talking about your aviation passion. Wish I could have been there to also enjoy my love of planes and to meet my friend Steph.

Jayne

Thanks Jayne. I'm so glad you're feeling better. I wish you've been there too. I hope our talk last night helped a little on your end.

Stephanie

Assigned male at birth 1958 * Began envying sister 1963 * Knew unquestioningly that I was female 1968 * Acted the male part for 50 years * Meltdown and first therapist session May 2017 * Began HRT 6/21/17 * Out to the world 10/13/17 * Name Change 12/7/2017 (Girl Harbor Day) * FFS With FacialTeam 12/4/2018 * Facelift and Lipo Body Sculpting at Ocean Clinic 6/13-14/2019 * GCS with Marci Bowers 9/25/2019
  •  

steph2.0

Well, I'm home and mostly unpacked. I've just lived through another of those "most incredible experiences" of my life. Yes, I know they all can't be superlative, but this one takes the title until the next one comes along.

To review, I'd made a few posts on April 4th describing what was coming up for me with the big Sun-N-Fun airshow:

https://www.susans.org/forums/index.php?topic=228563.msg2121153#msg2121153

Well, it's all "in the can" now, and wow. Just wow. I feel like a completely different person.

I have been rather pointedly reminded that my posts tend to get a little long, so I'll be posting vignettes of the experiences in separate entries. As an overview, though, I drove in and set up camp with a lot of anxiety. I know so many people at these shows. There were 122 volunteers and 55 exhibitors in our area, at least three quarters of whom knew the old me. So as a rough guess, there were about 130 people who either knew about my transition, or were going to find out at the show. You can imagine how intimidated I was at the prospect.

At the volunteer banquet at the end of the show, the director of volunteers (and my neighbor, who knows all about me and my previous anxiety) asked how the show had gone for me. I paused, trying to come up with an appropriate answer, and unbidden, two words popped out: "The Best!"

Without exception, every single one of those 130+ people were absolutely awesome. Those who knew (or learned) of my situation were completely accepting and respectful, and what's more, those who didn't know... didn't know! I was just Stephanie Bensinger, the woman announcer on the Paradise City Media Team.

The first day I tried to avoid the microphone - not because I have had mic fright in the past, but because I was freaking out about getting the voice to match the presentation. But by the second day, I was getting into the swing of it. Much of it was because I had the technical knowledge that Paul lacked, and I was getting tired of hearing him getting it wrong. As the week progressed and we got more comfortable, we developed a banter that the crowd just ate up. They loved it when Paul got it wrong and I corrected him with humor. There were so many $1 bets that he lost, that he would have covered my fuel bills if he'd ever paid up. They also appreciated it when I described Paul as having a radio voice and a face to match. I didn't have the voice, but I could at least be the pretty face...

I loved working with the audio equipment, and showing off my knowledge of the aircraft and aviation. I had such fun! And everyone around me was so cool. We were appreciated so much that other Florida aviation shows are making preliminary overtures to bringing us in to do theirs as well. We'll see if that pans out, but the prospect now excites, rather than scares me.

The show started on Tuesday, with bad weather that kept us from doing much. I took the opportunity to gather my courage and walk the entire display area, introducing my new self to all the people I'd known in the past, with fantastic results. I've lost count of how many hugs I got from both the women and men. Wednesday I started getting into the swing of the announcing, and on Thursday, when we shut down for the big airshow on the other side of the airport, Paul and I roved the display area with wireless microphones doing interviews with the vendors. I was the pretty assistant who collected brochures and provided the equipment for the interviewees. At one point, when we got out of range of the microphone receivers and Paul struck out of his own to do some interviews closer to the antennas, I visited booths on my own for personal interviews and brochure collection. I found myself seated with a few vendors who hadn't met me before, and as far as they knew, I was Stephanie Bensinger, collecting information for the media team. I simply couldn't stop grinning.

My uniform on Saturday, custom embroidered top and all:

Some time that afternoon, between the total acceptance of those who knew, and what was apparently flawless passing to those who didn't, a profound thought occurred to me that had me in tears:

I texted a friend, "I think Steve died today."

More stories to come...

Stephanie

Assigned male at birth 1958 * Began envying sister 1963 * Knew unquestioningly that I was female 1968 * Acted the male part for 50 years * Meltdown and first therapist session May 2017 * Began HRT 6/21/17 * Out to the world 10/13/17 * Name Change 12/7/2017 (Girl Harbor Day) * FFS With FacialTeam 12/4/2018 * Facelift and Lipo Body Sculpting at Ocean Clinic 6/13-14/2019 * GCS with Marci Bowers 9/25/2019
  •  

steph2.0

Quote from: Kendra on April 14, 2018, 12:04:42 PM
When I first tuned in Stephanie was talking about a "short takeoff"  ;) 

I heard that!

•  

Jayne01

Steph, yes, our talk did help, thank you.

It is so wonderful to hear how well your sun-n-fun trip went. Of course, I had full confidence in you and there was never any doubt in my mind that things would go well for you. You are doing so much better than you sometimes give yourself credit for. We are usually our own worst critics. I'm not sure I like the way you said that Steve died today. Maybe retired might be a better way of putting it. Or stepped aside and handed over the controls to Stephanie. You experienced a lot of pain living a life as Steve, but that was a large part of your life which helped you become the  person you are today, which is one very cool lady. That's just my own opinion which you can completely disregard if you like. Overall, it is so wonderful to see you living the life you always wanted. Congratulations.

Jayne
  •  

steph2.0

I'll be relating a few stories from Sun-N-Fun, but I wanted to post something deeply emotional that happened this evening. I had gotten dressed up to visit my mom in the rehab facility (she's doing great, by the way), then went to the trivia contest Sue and I participate in on Tuesdays. We took first place, by the way! My uniform for the day included my "Rhapsody Scarf" that has musical notes on it, plus my new treble clef dangling earrings:

After the contest we wandered around the square, then sat by the lake enjoying Haagen Dazs in the beautiful warm evening. I was absorbing the simple pleasure of just being myself in the crowds out enjoying their own lives.

When we got home I took the Magster for a walk just after dark, still happily dressed up. And I saw a falling star.

I started making the same wish I'd made for fifty years, and it hit me: the need for that wish is gone, as it has come true. I never ever thought it could happen for me. I broke down in tears in the middle of the street.

I have to come up with something new to wish for. I have two special wishes, and they're very important to me, but none are as profound as the one that I've realized.

One is this: I wish for you all to experience the happiness and fulfillment that I'm finally feeling. The other I'm holding close to my heart.

Stephanie

PS: I don't really ascribe to wish fulfillment by any outside agency. It's up to all of us individually to make it happen. Believe in yourself.

•  

Northern Star Girl

snipped:
Quote from: Steph2.0 on April 17, 2018, 09:25:04 PM
- - - - - - -- --
My uniform for the day included my "Rhapsody Scarf" that has musical notes on it, plus my new treble clef dangling earrings:

After the contest we wandered around the square, then sat by the lake enjoying Haagen Dazs in the beautiful warm evening. I was absorbing the simple pleasure of just being myself in the crowds out enjoying their own lives.

When we got home I took the Magster for a walk just after dark, still happily dressed up. And I saw a falling star.

I started making the same wish I'd made for fifty years, and it hit me: the need for that wish is gone, as it has come true. I never ever thought it could happen for me. I broke down in tears in the middle of the street.

I have to come up with something new to wish for. I have two special wishes, and they're very important to me, but none are as profound as the one that I've realized.

One is this: I wish for you all to experience the happiness and fulfillment that I'm finally feeling. The other I'm holding close to my heart.

Stephanie

PS: I don't really ascribe to wish fulfillment by any outside agency. It's up to all of us individually to make it happen. Believe in yourself.

Stephanie:
   Wow whee... a beautifully worded post...and heartfelt words.... and your picture of you in your uniform of the day looks absolutely amazing.... you look very beautiful for sure.
Thanks for posting... very nice!!!
Hugs, Danielle
****Help support this website by:
Subscribing !     and/or by    Donating !

Check out my Personal Blog Threads below
to read more details about me and my life.

(Click Links below):  [Oldest first]
  Aspiringperson is now Alaskan Danielle    
           I am the HUNTED PREY : Danielle's Chronicles    
                  A New Chapter: ALASKAN DANIELLE's Chronicles    
                             Danielle's Continuing Life Adventures

Started HRT March 2015 and
I've been Full-Time since December 2016.
I love living in a small town in Alaska
I am 44 years old & Single
Email: northernstargirl@susans.org
  •  

steph2.0

Another quick update. Remember all the hassle I had getting my passport straightened out? It finally arrived while I was at Sun-N-Fun. Even better, in a separate mailing they sent my old passport and all the letters I'd sent them back to me. So I have my original signed letter to use elsewhere if needed.

This means that there are only two documents left to get changed, and everything will have my new name on it. One is my pilot's certificate, and the other is my birth certificate. I hope to visit the FAA office next week and get the name and gender marker changed. The BC will have to wait until after GCS. Since it's from a state that doesn't allow gender change until after surgery, I'm not going to bother with the name change until I can get it all done.

In the meantime, I'm so happy to have the passport. @KathyLauren watch out!

Stephanie

•  

Jayne01

Looking good Steph! I am so happy your wish has come true. Reading your post has also made me realise that I have had the same wish all along and not known it until recently.

You did confuse me a little at the end. What do you mean wishes cannot be fulfilled by an outside agency? I thought there was the IWA (International Wish Agency) which handles the granting of wishes. Have I been misled all these years?

Jayne
  •  

Jayne01

Quote from: Steph2.0 on April 17, 2018, 09:47:01 PM
Another quick update. Remember all the hassle I had getting my passport straightened out? It finally arrived while I was at Sun-N-Fun. Even better, in a separate mailing they sent my old passport and all the letters I'd sent them back to me. So I have my original signed letter to use elsewhere if needed.

This means that there are only two documents left to get changed, and everything will have my new name on it. One is my pilot's certificate, and the other is my birth certificate. I hope to visit the FAA office next week and get the name and gender marker changed. The BC will have to wait until after GCS. Since it's from a state that doesn't allow gender change until after surgery, I'm not going to bother with the name change until I can get it all done.

In the meantime, I'm so happy to have the passport. @KathyLauren watch out!

Stephanie
That's great news! If you really want to give your passport a workout, visit @Jayne01 [emoji16]
  •  

Northern Star Girl

Quote from: Jayne01 on April 17, 2018, 09:47:48 PM
Looking good Steph! I am so happy your wish has come true. Reading your post has also made me realise that I have had the same wish all along and not known it until recently.

You did confuse me a little at the end. What do you mean wishes cannot be fulfilled by an outside agency? I thought there was the IWA (International Wish Agency) which handles the granting of wishes. Have I been misled all these years?

Jayne

Yes Jayne, I too was quite disappointed and disenchanted to find out that there is no outside agency to fulfill our dreams...  where is Santa Clause when you need him...
...and what about the ubiquitous Tooth Fairy .... and on my birthday cake when I blow out the candles I do make a wish and don't let anyone know what I wished for so it will come true.
So anyway Stephanie, you have popped my bubble and also popped Jayne's bubble too.
Hugs,
Danielle
****Help support this website by:
Subscribing !     and/or by    Donating !

Check out my Personal Blog Threads below
to read more details about me and my life.

(Click Links below):  [Oldest first]
  Aspiringperson is now Alaskan Danielle    
           I am the HUNTED PREY : Danielle's Chronicles    
                  A New Chapter: ALASKAN DANIELLE's Chronicles    
                             Danielle's Continuing Life Adventures

Started HRT March 2015 and
I've been Full-Time since December 2016.
I love living in a small town in Alaska
I am 44 years old & Single
Email: northernstargirl@susans.org
  •  

steph2.0

Sun-N-Fun Stories...

When I'd displayed at Oshkosh last July, I'd camped next to M, a long-time acquaintance, and his wife P. We got to know each other quite well during the show, and came to enjoy each other's company, with me hanging out in their air conditioned motor home when things got too hot. We had lots of good conversations, but I had a secret that I was terrified to share with them. I'd started HRT the month before, but nobody else knew yet. I felt terrible for hiding it from them, but there was no way I was ready to talk about it. They are from a conservative Southern state, and when they talked about their trip to Key West, P mentioned that she liked the town and the people, but was unsure about things going on there that she didn't really approve of. Uh oh...

Fast forward to Sun-N-Fun. M and P volunteer in the same area I work in, and they had already heard about me through the grapevine before I reintroduced myself to them. I told P how I was so afraid of talking about it back at Oshkosh, and she was almost insulted. She insisted that I should have told her then. I was surprised, thanked her, and went away puzzled that I could have gotten it so wrong, but also wondering just how accepting they would be in the long run.

Next morning I stopped by the admin tent, and P was sitting in there. I touched her on the shoulder (I'm enjoying friendly physical contact more nowadays) and she looked up, smiled, and said, "How you doin', girl?" (Squeeeeee!). Both M and P worked really hard to use the right name and pronouns all week. I knew they were great people, but I didn't realize how wonderful they really are. When they left to go back home I got big hugs from both of them.

This is a picture I never thought I'd be able to take, with my good friend P:

Stephanie

•  

steph2.0

Quote from: Alaskan Danielle on April 17, 2018, 09:56:20 PMSo anyway Stephanie, you have popped my bubble and also popped Jayne's bubble too.

Oh my! I have found myself in deep trouble. I've received a warning letter from the International Wish Fulfillment Consortium, consisting of such entities as the Falling Star Agency, the Birthday Candle Management System, the First Star of the Night Administration, the Wishing Well Bureaucracy, etc. I have been enjoined from slandering, defaming, or otherwise denigrating the mission of the IWFC.

So I will state that my disbelief in the Agency is my own personally held opinion, not backed by peer-reviewed studies, and in no way disrespects the purported mission or efficacy of said organization. Please don't sue me.

Stephanie

•  

Jayne01

•  

steph2.0

Sun-N-Fun Stories...

I have gotten to know J and D over the years. J supports other volunteers when he distributes sandwiches and water, and his wife D often cooks for us in the campground. I ran across them on the first day. J immediately recognized me, and knew of the situation. He even inadvertently misgendered me a few times while D sat on the golf cart right next to him, but apparently she didn't notice. We talked for a while about D's bandaged foot, and went our separate ways.

Later that night while I was standing in line for my dinner, I felt a touch on my shoulder. It was D, who was looking at me incredulously. She had just realized who I was. She was effusive in her apologies for not knowing me, and also in her praise of how well I was doing. All of it was so very affirming and heartwarming.

Later as we sat at the same table for dinner, she passed on her recommendations for skin care products. She was just one example of how accepting and encouraging all the women were. The men were cool with me, but all the women seemed thrilled to welcome me into their world. How very cool...

Stephanie

•  

Jayne01

How very cool indeed! I really enjoy reading your stories.

Jayne
  •  

steph2.0

Sun-N-Fun Stories...

Many of the people I know are also involved with shows other than Sun-N-Fun. One couple, J and G, have actually run a few shows here in Florida. I attended the one they are currently running back in November, with the express purpose of clueing people in on my transition in preparation for Sun-N-Fun. It was still relatively early in my RLE, so I was dressed androgynously at best. I outed myself to J and G, and was accepted warmly.

At Sun-N-Fun they have a display to advertise for their shows, and they stopped by the Media Shack to do an interview. G recognized me (men seem to be better at that) and shook my hand, but J glanced over, introduced herself, then turned back to Paul for the interview. The shack is quite small, so I was right behind her. I touched her on the shoulder and said, "You know me!" She turned around and stared with a blank look for a few seconds, then the light bulb went on. Her exclamations were loud and flattering, and I got a huge hug. She had simply not recognized me at all. I guess I've changed since November...

Stephanie

•  

steph2.0

Sun-N-Fun Stories...

This is one of the only Sun-N-Funs where I haven't had an airplane to fly off the light plane runway, and I was beginning to despair that I wouldn't get off the ground for the whole show. But being on the media team has its perks, and since we'd gone around and collected information on all the aircraft so we could talk intelligently about them, one of them at least made an offer to take one of us for a ride. When the pilot from Magni Gyros came by with the offer, Paul was too busy to go, so he suggested he take Stephanie. I was more than happy to accept, considering that I'm a fixed-wing kind of girl and had never had the pleasure of flying in a gyrocopter.

He helped me with my helmet, being quite solicitous of the lady, and helped me into the back seat. (Good thing my skirt was actually a skort, considering the center mounted stick (leave it alone!)) It was quite a cool ride, and I learned a lot about the differences and similarities between fixed-wing and rotorcraft. It all helped me with my announcing later.

The coolest part, though, is they just gave Stephanie - the woman working the media booth - a ride. They treated me exactly the way they should have, and it was incredibly affirming.

Stephanie

•  

Laurie

Hi Stephanie,

Congratulations girl on your Fun N Sun debut. It does sound as if it was a success in all ways. Of even more import is your life long wish (that many of us have) has been fulfilled for you. Thank you for passing that wish on for the rest of us who are still seeking it.

Hugs,
    Laurie
April 13, 2019 switched to estradiol valerate
December 20, 2018    Referral sent to OHSU Dr Dugi  for vaginoplasty consult
December 10, 2018    Second Letter VA Psychiatric Practical nurse
November 15, 2018    First letter from VA therapist
May 11, 2018 I am Laurie Jeanette Wickwire
May   3, 2018 Submitted name change forms
Aug 26, 2017 another increase in estradiol
Jun  26, 2017 Last day in male attire That's full time I guess
May 20, 2017 doubled estradiol
May 18, 2017 started electrolysis
Dec   4, 2016 Started estradiol and spironolactone

•  

steph2.0

Sun-N-Fun Stories...

I've mentioned my dear friend D before many times. He's the very first person beyond my wife and therapist that I'd come out to, at Oshkosh last year. He drove all the way from Indiana to attend my New Year/New Life party - the furthest traveled except for @Kendra.

He had gotten sick of the horrible weather in Indiana, and since my new camper had a hide-a-bed in the "living room" he asked whether he could bunk there. No problem. His payment was getting the generator running every morning so I could have coffee and use my curling iron.

On the last day we were expecting severe storms, so I went out to retract the awning. While working, I had a little conversation with the guy camped next to me. He was considerate of the woman next door and offered any help I needed. I thanked him, and when the awning was packed up I went inside. Not long afterward D carried a load of his luggage out to his car as he packed to head home. He came back into the camper with a smirk on his face, and asked whether I wanted to hear something cool. Well of course...

While he was carrying stuff to his car, the neighbor said good morning, and mentioned that he'd just been talking with D's wife.

Squeeeeeeeee!!

Stephanie

•  

Jayne01

How cool. What is a gyrocopter like to fly? I have always wanted to fly a helicopter but gyros seem like such odd contraptions!

Jayne
  •