Susan's Place Logo

News:

Please be sure to review The Site terms of service, and rules to live by

Main Menu

The Stephanie Chronicles

Started by steph2.0, September 17, 2017, 11:42:47 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

steph2.0

Thanks Danielle. I am feeling much better, and there are many more stories to come.

Stephanie

Assigned male at birth 1958 * Began envying sister 1963 * Knew unquestioningly that I was female 1968 * Acted the male part for 50 years * Meltdown and first therapist session May 2017 * Began HRT 6/21/17 * Out to the world 10/13/17 * Name Change 12/7/2017 (Girl Harbor Day) * FFS With FacialTeam 12/4/2018 * Facelift and Lipo Body Sculpting at Ocean Clinic 6/13-14/2019 * GCS with Marci Bowers 9/25/2019
  •  

Kendra

Quote from: Steph2.0 on June 07, 2018, 11:18:22 PM
> Slung my purse over my shoulder and marched right in. And it was fine.

You nailed it!
Assigned male at birth 1963.  Decided I wanted to be a girl in 1971.  Laser 2014-16, electrolysis 2015-17, HRT 7/2017, GCS 1/2018, VFS 3/2018, FFS 5/2018, Labiaplasty & BA 7/2018. 
  •  

steph2.0

Quote from: Kendra on June 07, 2018, 11:37:10 PM
You nailed it!

Yay! That's the Kendra I know and love!

Stephanie

Assigned male at birth 1958 * Began envying sister 1963 * Knew unquestioningly that I was female 1968 * Acted the male part for 50 years * Meltdown and first therapist session May 2017 * Began HRT 6/21/17 * Out to the world 10/13/17 * Name Change 12/7/2017 (Girl Harbor Day) * FFS With FacialTeam 12/4/2018 * Facelift and Lipo Body Sculpting at Ocean Clinic 6/13-14/2019 * GCS with Marci Bowers 9/25/2019
  •  

steph2.0

Well, after loudly whining about how eventless life had become, I'm suddenly almost overwhelmed with things happening.

Tuesday was quite a day. It started out with another drive to Orlando with goop and plastic on my face for another hour of Hot Needle Torture (HNT). I have my electrocutioner concentrate on the upper lip and goatee for an hour straight each time, and I've lost track of how many hours it's been, but I'm finally starting to notice bald spots on my upper lip.

Once she'd released the straps and let me go howling out into the city, I stopped at the pharmacy to refill my precious estradiol, then got together with Cassie for a quick lunch and coffee. Then it was a 1.5 hour blast in the RocketSkate to the Villages for Tuesday night trivia... which we lost miserably. It was still fun, though, and the best was yet to come.

Let's set the controls of the Wayback Machine to approximately 1970. I would have been about 12 years old and my sister a year younger. For a couple of summers around that time our cousins, sisters K and P, who were our ages, would come stay with us for a couple of weeks. By this time I not only knew there was something "wrong" with me, I knew exactly what it was. And I also knew there was nothing that could be done to fix it. And... I also knew the source of the hurt when they went off to play with my sister while I was excluded.

Fast forward about 45 years. My sister had kept in touch with them over the years, but I had put those memories away. Until suddenly I found that K lived not far from me in Florida and her husband was building an experimental aircraft similar to one I'd built. We'd ended up getting together a few times about two years ago, then lost touch again.

Then two weeks ago I got an email from J, K's husband. Hey Steve, we haven't seen you in a while. We've moved to the Villages and were wondering how you were doing.

Oh boy.

I wrote them back and mentioned that we played trivia in the Villages on Tuesdays and it would be great to get together for dinner. But there was something they needed to know first...

They seemed to be fine. We arranged to meet up after trivia.

And it was awesome. They got the name and pronouns right every time. The most strange thing about the evening was the topic of transitioning never came up once. I think they believed that the transitioning was 100% complete and they were just meeting up with their cousin Stephanie. It was the most incredible experience. While we shared our common interests in airplanes and other things, the fact that I was their female cousin was just a given.

The only time it was even referred to was when we exchanged goodbye hugs, and I told K that I knew she'd be fine with it. Her reply: "Hey, you're family."

We plan to get together again soon.

Stephanie

•  

Kendra

a super Walmart
its gravitational field
collects consumers

nail salon out front
teases Stephanie's chipped nails
but such a girl's club

stop overthinking
just gotta dive in and swim
the acrylic dip

relax and kick back
worked so hard to get this far
now time to enjoy

see that wasn't bad
feels good enough to linger
even at Walmart

yes she wore brave face
but far more significant
the strength in her heart

see Steph2.0
making great guitar music
with gorgeous gel nails
Assigned male at birth 1963.  Decided I wanted to be a girl in 1971.  Laser 2014-16, electrolysis 2015-17, HRT 7/2017, GCS 1/2018, VFS 3/2018, FFS 5/2018, Labiaplasty & BA 7/2018. 
  •  

Saha

•  

steph2.0

Quote from: Kendra on June 08, 2018, 12:36:53 AM
relax and kick back
worked so hard to get this far
now time to enjoy

There is no better way to start the day than with a smile, and this did it for me. Thank you, Kendra.

Stephanie

•  

steph2.0

The pace continues to accelerate...

A friend from Susan's was in the area this weekend and came by for conversation and lunch. (I'll let her tell you who she is if she's so inclined.) She had all kinds of great advice for me, not least of which included a recommendation for someone in Florida who does hair grafts, FFS, and a lot of other procedures for the MtF community. She had the grafts done about three weeks ago now, and they are growing like weeds! She's sure she's going to have at least 90% retention with the FUE procedure with rich blood platelets injection that she had done.

The clinic is about 3 hours from home, so on Monday I sent off a request for a consultation. Whether I actually follow through on all of it or not, I want to talk about hair grafts (non-negotiable - my hairline is a serious dysphoria trigger), scalp advancement, rhinoplasty, lip lift, and facelift. Everyone tells me I don't need more than that, and some tell me not to do anything - thank you, that's very flattering, but I think I need some help if just for my own peace of mind. I'll also entertain any other recommendations he might have, though I intend to take it easy until I know just how much HRT is going to do on its own. They called back yesterday and we got it all set up for the 22nd. It feels good to be actually doing something again.

Stephanie

•  

steph2.0

Now for yesterday's OMG moment.

While I was filling out the intake forms for the clinic here in Florida that I'll be visiting in a few weeks to talk about hair grafts, etc., my binging computer heralded an incoming email message.

It was from Dr. Gallagher's office in Indianapolis, informing me that they'd verified that GCS is covered by my insurance at their clinic, and requesting my letters. I had them ready to go, and sent them off yesterday afternoon.

The only hang up is apparently the insurance company requires 18 months of therapy before they cover it. Since my first visit to the gender clinic was May 19th last year, that puts me out to November 19th. If the clinic is willing to get all the ducks in a row so when the clock ticks over we're ready to go, it's still possible to meet my goal of getting it done this year. I'm waiting now for word that the documents are sufficient, and then it'll be time to set a consultation date.

OMG, this is starting to get real.

Stephanie

•  

Northern Star Girl

Dear Stephanie:
I have been really enjoying reading about your latest life happenings.  For sure, your recent new positive outlook on your life is much more fun for you than the alternative, although as you and I can attest we ALL have our dark moments and disappointing times, and it is important and even therapeutic to write about them,  but it is imperative that we pull ourselves back up by our bootstraps and get back into living our lives in a way that is more enjoyable, happy and positive. 
I have found that when good things are happening in my life, it tends to spawn even more positive things that will happen, and so on....
...and on that note, that was certainly wonderful news about your future GCS being covered by your insurance.... yes, as you stated "OMG, this is getting real" .... 
... and as I said, good things happening spawns more good things happening...   keep being positive, it is a much nicer way to live your life. 

Please enjoy how things are going for you and keep it going and when negative things happen, and they will, make a concerted effort to nip them in the bud and move on.

Anytime you want to share some of your "living positive" tips and/or life events on my new
   "Positive Mindset... put away negativity" thread or my
   "Hunted Prey :  Danielle's Chronicles" thread   ...  please feel free to do so, I always enjoy your comments and replies anywhere that you post them on the Forum threads....  and of course we have had some nice PM exchanges too.

Again Stephanie...  I love reading your updates... keep them coming.

Hugs,
Danielle
****Help support this website by:
Subscribing !     and/or by    Donating !

Check out my Personal Blog Threads below
to read more details about me and my life.

(Click Links below):  [Oldest first]
  Aspiringperson is now Alaskan Danielle    
           I am the HUNTED PREY : Danielle's Chronicles    
                  A New Chapter: ALASKAN DANIELLE's Chronicles    
                             Danielle's Continuing Life Adventures

Started HRT March 2015 and
I've been Full-Time since December 2016.
I love living in a small town in Alaska
I am 44 years old & Single
Email: northernstargirl@susans.org
  •  

steph2.0

Another couple of minor milestones yesterday. It was 90F (32C) here and I first mowed the grass, then washed the cars after working on the pressure washer. I was wearing my sports bra and a button-down shirt - actually the uniform you saw earlier:

Of course I wasn't sweating, but I was glistening heavily, and I finally had enough and took the shirt off, working in my short shorts and sports bra only. How cool (literally) was that?

When the mail lady drove by I didn't step out and exhibit myself, but I didn't run for cover either. It's my yard and myself, I'm not taking any guff here. And heck, I thought I looked ok, despite the stupid shoulders.

Later that evening, after cleaning up and changing clothes, I was walking up to the house and saw my full-length reflection in the glass door. I stopped in awe, and the thought came unbidden, "How could anybody think she's a guy?" To quote Danielle, wow-whee!

Sorry, no pics. You'll have to take my word that they both happened.

Stephanie

•  

Jessica

Quote from: Steph2.0 on June 08, 2018, 09:34:45 AM
Another couple of minor milestones yesterday. It was 90F (32C) here and I first mowed the grass, then washed the cars after working on the pressure washer. I was wearing my sports bra and a button-down shirt - actually the uniform you saw earlier:

Of course I wasn't sweating, but I was glistening heavily, and I finally had enough and took the shirt off, working in my short shorts and sports bra only. How cool (literally) was that?

When the mail lady drove by I didn't step out and exhibit myself, but I didn't run for cover either. It's my yard and myself, I'm not taking any guff here. And heck, I thought I looked ok, despite the stupid shoulders.

Later that evening, after cleaning up and changing clothes, I was walking up to the house and saw my full-length reflection in the glass door. I stopped in awe, and the thought came unbidden, "How could anybody think she's a guy?" To quote Danielle, wow-whee!

Sorry, no pics. You'll have to take my word that they both happened.

Stephanie

I agree! How could anybody not see you as a woman.  Very cute!

Wow whee, squeeee, Jess

"If you go out looking for friends, you are going to find they are very scarce.  If you go out to be a friend, you'll find them everywhere."

•  

KathyLauren

Wow, Steph, you're on a roll!!  Reconnecting with an old friend, making progress on your hair and on your GCS, and this:
Quote from: Steph2.0 on June 08, 2018, 09:34:45 AMthe thought came unbidden, "How could anybody think she's a guy?" To quote Danielle, wow-whee!
Wow-whee!, indeed!
2015-07-04 Awakening; 2015-11-15 Out to self; 2016-06-22 Out to wife; 2016-10-27 First time presenting in public; 2017-01-20 Started HRT!!; 2017-04-20 Out publicly; 2017-07-10 Legal name change; 2019-02-15 Approval for GRS; 2019-08-02 Official gender change; 2020-03-11 GRS; 2020-09-17 New birth certificate
  •  

steph2.0

I found out something new about myself today: Joy for another can be just as deep and intense as joy for yourself. My best friend got some wonderful news today that has me as ecstatic as I was when I got the same news a while ago. It's not my news to announce, so I'll say no more about that. This post is about the unexpected sense of empathy that's blooming inside me.

I didn't know that happiness for another could match your own personal happiness. I certainly never experienced such things in the bad old days. I really am changing, and for the better!

Stephanie

•  

Northern Star Girl

Quote from: Steph2.0 on June 08, 2018, 01:36:33 PM
I found out something new about myself today: Joy for another can be just as deep and intense as joy for yourself. My best friend got some wonderful news today that has me as ecstatic as I was when I got the same news a while ago. It's not my news to announce, so I'll say no more about that. This post is about the unexpected sense of empathy that's blooming inside me.

I didn't know that happiness for another could match your own personal happiness. I certainly never experienced such things in the bad old days. I really am changing, and for the better!

Stephanie

Dear Stephanie:  I agree with you... I have experienced the very same incredible increase in empathy and sympathy for others in frustrating and difficult situations.  Also I cry more than ever at the drop of a hat, at weddings, funerals, romance movies, watching little kids play, all of that.  I had always been sensitive to others and their trials and tribulations... and their happy moments too.  I also find myself introducing myself and starting conversations with strangers and just about anyone else that I come across.  I guess that I fully endorse my mantra that I state on my profile... "
   "If you want friends, be friendly, be the first to smile and introduce yourself."

So Stephanie, do we blame it for the HRT??  If it is the HRT then for sure I am very thankful that it has those side effect.  Or perhaps just hanging around with cis-females and becoming a female myself has greatly influenced that part of my personality????

Thanks for posting your experience in regards to empathy... we share those things for sure.
Hugs,
Danielle
****Help support this website by:
Subscribing !     and/or by    Donating !

Check out my Personal Blog Threads below
to read more details about me and my life.

(Click Links below):  [Oldest first]
  Aspiringperson is now Alaskan Danielle    
           I am the HUNTED PREY : Danielle's Chronicles    
                  A New Chapter: ALASKAN DANIELLE's Chronicles    
                             Danielle's Continuing Life Adventures

Started HRT March 2015 and
I've been Full-Time since December 2016.
I love living in a small town in Alaska
I am 44 years old & Single
Email: northernstargirl@susans.org
  •  

steph2.0

Quote from: Alaskan Danielle on June 08, 2018, 08:13:37 PMI had always been sensitive to others and their trials and tribulations... and their happy moments too.
So Stephanie, do we blame it for the HRT??  If it is the HRT then for sure I am very thankful that it has those side effect.  Or perhaps just hanging around with cis-females and becoming a female myself has greatly influenced that part of my personality????

[The following is meant to relate to the MTF crowd. No slight against the FTM folks out there - there are definitely empathic men out there, but based on the gender role I attempted to emulate for 50 years, I suspect that transmen will have different priorities than becoming more deeply emotional. I hope nobody takes offense as I aim the conversation at MTF.]

This becomes an interesting conversation. It touches on the nature vs. nurture arguments and starts shading into philosophy.

I believe I was also fairly sensitive to other's moods, but didn't react to them. And I was always far too sensitive when it came to slights against myself, and had to fight hard not to let it show, after learning hard lessons about such things when I was younger. Both were dictated by the role I was required to play to protect myself.

So the question then becomes, are these new ways of sensing the world just our inherent natures finally being released, or are they being enhanced or even induced by HRT? Or, as you suggest, are we learning new roles to replace the old, and reacting as we are expected to as we integrate into our new peer group?

I personally would hate to think that I've traded one artificial role for another. It doesn't feel that way to me. I prefer to think that these abilities have been latent in me all along, and I'm finally free to use them freely. If HRT enhances those superpowers then I'm happy to let it do its magic.

And that leads to another question: does it really matter? I believe it's safe to say that transitioning, despite the occasional pain, is on balance a positive, happy experience. The extremely low failure rate of well-managed transitions makes that pretty clear.

So, Danielle, however it is we are gaining these enhanced abilities, they're welcome, and joyfully made part of who we are. I suspect you agree.

Stephanie

•  

steph2.0

Trying Something New, Part 1

I came to the realization during my "time in the desert" recently that I have come to enjoy being with one or two close friends among strangers better than hanging out with my neighbors and old friends. The reason is that those few special people either never knew the old me, or have managed to make the mental shift to regard me as Stephanie only. I can relax with them, knowing that I won't be deadnamed and misgendered. While annoying among our group, it's especially upsetting when done in front of strangers. So I have ended up limiting myself to some combination of my next-door neighbors, who are wonderful, or Sue or Cassie, or my newly-rediscovered cousin and her husband. Or... none of them, and I go out on my own into the world of strangers who see me as who I am better than many of the people I love.

I sometimes fantasize about wrapping up the few people I've mentioned, taking them with me to a town similar to where Danielle lives, and starting over. In my worst moments I think about what it would be like to just go by myself as she did. But there are a few special people I love too much to leave behind. And it's not a realistic plan in any case. I'm too established here, and I do know that eventually people will start to get it.

One of the things that both Sue and Cassie keep telling me is that the only real way to get people used to who I've become, is to spend more time with them. That feels so much like hitting myself on the head with a hammer because it will feel so good when I stop. But I have to acknowledge that they're right. So for this reason and a couple others I'll write about in my next posts, I've concocted a plan. Read on...

Stephanie

•  

steph2.0

Trying Something New, Part 2

One of the things that has induced dysphoria lately is that so little has actually changed in my day-to-day life. Those who have been following this thread (thank you to both of you!) know that I live in a special kind of neighborhood where we all share the same interest in flying. Our houses are lined up along a runway on a small private airport. We fly everything including powered paragliders, ultralights, experimental homebuilt planes, light sport aircraft, and high speed complex factory-built planes. For years my daily routine included walking the dog around the airport and stopping at each hangar to talk with the guys and see how the various projects are coming. And "guys" is the operative word. I'd see women occasionally, but they were "the wives" who were just passing through the man-caves, and I never had much of a chance to socialize with them. While I generally had little in common with the men hanging out in their figurative "He-Man Woman Haters Clubs" (with the "No Girlz Aloud" sign on the door), the love of aviation bound us together. While all of them have been accepting of my transition, none of them make any effort to understand it, and most still treat me as Steve, who looks a little different nowadays. A few get the name and pronouns right, but one or two don't seem to get it, no matter how much I change before their eyes. And, well, they're guys. I never really fit in with them, and they certainly have nothing to teach me as I move forward.

So no matter how high my confidence level and how feminine my presentation is when I strike out into the neighborhood, by the time I get home I feel like I've regressed back to my old role. It's actually a relief to walk the dog and discover that all the hangars are closed and there's nobody home. It's a love/hate thing. I feel lonely, but at least I don't have to hear my old name or "he" or "him."

Even at home not much has changed. I'm still responsible for washing and fixing the cars, mowing the grass, and doing all the guy-role heavy lifting jobs. While I think it's cool that women can change the oil in the cars and wrench on planes as well as men, it's hard for me to feel feminine while doing it.

This fed into my thought pattern and helped guide me toward the plan I'll tell you about in my next post (promise!)

Stephanie

•  

steph2.0

Trying Something New, Finally

In addition to the things I wrote about in my previous two posts, there's one more thing that I'm thinking is holding me back from truly integrating into the world.

For the longest time after I started transitioning, the only social events I would attend were LGBT, or specifically transgender related. The meetups are fun and incredibly helpful, and if I hadn't gone to one in particular last October, I may never have met my new Best Friend, Cassie. I don't intend to stop attending, but they represent a small subset of the world out there. In some respects I envy Cassie her 9 to 5 job, which forces her to be part of more than the insular trans world that I need to expand beyond.

So, now to the point of this mini-series (What's that you say? It's about time?):

I have decided I need to spend more time in the "real world." While I am taking along the security blanket of trusted friends, I have many things lined up for the next couple of months. I'll talk about them as they come up, but I am going to try something very special (to me) tomorrow night.

It was suggested by wiser people than me that I should try hanging out with the folks who know more about being women than even the most accomplished transwomen. And that would be ciswomen. I've read about some of you attending baby showers or card games and just being one of the girls, and it sounded so attractive.

Last week I talked with a couple of local ladies, and after getting a positive reaction, I sent a text message to all the women in the neighborhood, inviting them to join me for dinner at a nice Italian restaurant tomorrow (Monday) evening. Out of the six I invited (plus Sue) one had previous plans, three agreed to come, and two didn't answer at all.

So tomorrow night is the first Stephanie-arranged Ladies' Night Out. There will be five women out together, and I will just be one of them.

I can't wait to see what it's like. Wish me luck!

Stephanie

•  

Denni

Steph,
Thoughts and prayers will be for the conversation to flow freely, the friendship to be open, and to come away
knowing that you are accepted for who you have always been, "a woman"
Denni
  •