Susan's Place Logo

News:

Please be sure to review The Site terms of service, and rules to live by

Main Menu

The Stephanie Chronicles

Started by steph2.0, September 17, 2017, 11:42:47 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Michelle_P

Stephanie, the mirror 'trick' is a pretty neat experience to go through.  I had that happen a while ago in an office building, seeing a pretty woman walking at the other end of a hallway.  Oops!  :)

It IS incredibly affirming to see what others see, when we accidentally cut out our own internal biases.

Congratulations.

And that cruise sounds really fun.  We have similar ones here on the San Francisco Bay.  I just need to find a dinner companion, or perhaps a full table...
Earth my body, water my blood, air my breath and fire my spirit.

My personal transition path included medical changes.  The path others take may require no medical intervention, or different care.  We each find our own path. I provide these dates for the curious.
Electrolysis - Hours in The Chair: 238 (8.5 were preparing for GCS, five clearings); On estradiol patch June 2016; Full-time Oct 22, 2016; GCS Oct 20, 2017; FFS Aug 28, 2018; Stage 2 labiaplasty revision and BA Feb 26, 2019
Michelle's personal blog and biography
  •  

steph2.0

This isn't so much about a milestone, I guess. More like just a journal entry. It was a nice day and I just wanted to write about it.

The weather didn't look so great when I got up, but all the forecasts said the worst would be going around us. So out to the hangar I went to fuel and preflight the flying machine. Our destination was an airport about 35 miles south that has a restaurant, a standard flight plan for most pilots. It's the origin of the "Hundred Dollar Hamburger" - pilots are willing to spend inordinate amounts of money to fly to a meal they could have had much cheaper close to home.

I put on my bracelet, given to me by a dear friend, that says "Safe trip wherever you go," and off we went, with storms visible 20 miles west.

I told Sue about ten miles out that I was a bit apprehensive. This would be the first time for "me" to fly into this very familiar airport and restaurant. According to my log I hadn't flown into there since May of last year, shortly before my massive meltdown that started me on the road to realizing my fulfilled future. She's getting a little tired of hearing that same sad story, and reassured me that I'd be fine, just like all the other times I got anxious about such things. Then I got too busy flying the pattern and landing to think about it.

I used my very best voice on the radio - for some reason it sounds better there than anywhere else - and a lady in a Cessna followed us in. We bantered a little about the weather as we taxied in to the restaurant, and though no pronouns were used, I convinced myself that she knew she was talking to another aviatrix.

As we got out and tied the plane down in the growing gusty wind, some folks came out of the restaurant and walked across the ramp to us. They were obvious newbies to airplanes, and may have also have been struggling with English, since they looked to be East Indian. The first thing the guy asked was, "Is this your jet?" I didn't understand at first, and he corrected himself: "Is this your Cessna?" I said, yes, it's my plane, but it's a Rans. "You both fly it?" Sue pointed at me, "No, she's the pilot. I just like riding." They were so impressed at two women flying together. They asked if they could take pictures; we said sure, and went inside for brunch. They spent a long time studying the plane in awe and taking tons of pictures. I wonder how they would have reacted if I'd told them I'd actually built it?

The restaurant was busy and service was slow. At one point I asked Sue if she could see me. She agreed she could, and I verified I could see her, so we were pretty sure we weren't invisible. It was hard to tell, though, as the waitresses blasted by without looking. I have to admit I started getting a little paranoid - were they avoiding the weird person over there? Finally our waitress, who had been tied up at the register, took our order, and I felt better as we were taken care of slowly but surely. When another waitress came out to deliver our food with an "Okay ladies, who gets the eggs and bacon?", I felt much better. While we ate, two rainstorms washed our plane for us, and the line of storms moved on to the east, leaving things clear for our trip back home. After using the opposite restroom from the one I'd used last time I was there, we loaded up and taxied out, as all eyes in the restaurant enviously watched the two ladies who got to fly their own airplane. The trip home was uneventful and therapeutic.

After putting the plane away Maggie wanted her walk, so it was off into the neighborhood. I've mentioned my neighbor before who is accepting but not putting much effort into names or pronouns even after nine months. He and his wife were out talking with my favorite neighbors who are extremely supportive and encouraging. Again I was a little nervous, since what I was wearing was nowhere near androgynous - the top especially showed the growing girls off in glorious obviousness.

But what the heck, I marched right up and joined the conversation. And it was fine. I really need to get over this nervousness and convince myself that despite the problems with names and pronouns, what I'm doing isn't a big deal to them and I'm still just another one of the neighbors who flies.

I changed into some lighter clothes for working in this heat. I took a picture to post over in Kathy's thread, and was pleasantly surprised by what it revealed. First, I loved the way my bedraggled hair looked, but more shocking was how slim my shoulders looked. I've always been self-conscious about my wide shoulders, and while the measuring tape doesn't bear it out, they sure look smaller to me. Feeling I can wear sleeveless tops and dresses has opened up whole new wardrobe choices, and it's so much cooler than even a t-shirt.

The rest of the day has been quiet, with some Sunday afternoon extreme napping, more dog walks, and a little work done out in the hangar. A simple turkey burger meal for dinner, with occasional wondering glimpses of myself reflected in the kitchen windows.

Just another day in the life. I hope yours was as good.

Stephanie

Assigned male at birth 1958 * Began envying sister 1963 * Knew unquestioningly that I was female 1968 * Acted the male part for 50 years * Meltdown and first therapist session May 2017 * Began HRT 6/21/17 * Out to the world 10/13/17 * Name Change 12/7/2017 (Girl Harbor Day) * FFS With FacialTeam 12/4/2018 * Facelift and Lipo Body Sculpting at Ocean Clinic 6/13-14/2019 * GCS with Marci Bowers 9/25/2019
  •  

Northern Star Girl

@Steph2.0
Dear Stephanie: 
I so very much enjoyed reading your update... Journal page that you wrote today.... and the pictures are absolutely wonderful. 
Thank you for your uplifting and affirming posting.

Hugs and well wishes,
Danielle
****Help support this website by:
Subscribing !     and/or by    Donating !

Check out my Personal Blog Threads below
to read more details about me and my life.

(Click Links below):  [Oldest first]
  Aspiringperson is now Alaskan Danielle    
           I am the HUNTED PREY : Danielle's Chronicles    
                  A New Chapter: ALASKAN DANIELLE's Chronicles    
                             Danielle's Continuing Life Adventures

Started HRT March 2015 and
I've been Full-Time since December 2016.
I love living in a small town in Alaska
I am 44 years old & Single
Email: northernstargirl@susans.org
  •  

steph2.0

Well, just living the life I guess. Bizzy bizzy bizzy...

Tuesday was a special day for my dear friend @SassyCassie. (No, I'm not spilling the beans; that's her job.) Part of the celebration, though, included a trip to CityWalk at Universal Studios near Orlando.

CityWalk is a sort of restaurant row that all visitors to Universal Islands of Adventure and Universal Studios enter and exit through. We started out at Toothsome's Chocolate Emporium to get us some Warm Chocolate Almond Bread. I can't recommend it - you should avoid it and allow me to dispose of it safely. Accompanying the bread were Chocolate Cherry Mules, with which we toasted the day.

We then stormed the local StarShmucks, where we sat outside savoring our caffeine-loaded concoctions while people-watching. I got a little contemplative and philosophical while pondering all of those people wandering by who are so uncritically content with who they are, with no consideration of the concept of being dissatisfied with their gender. Just being themselves. But by the end of our break I realized that that's exactly what Cassie and I were doing that day. Just being ourselves. Finally. It was a good feeling, and one that floated with me the rest of the day.

Rested up, we started wandering again. After a while the hunger grew to the point it was time to consider putting comestibles in our face holes. Off to Pat O'Brien's, a Nawlins styled establishment. A blackened chicken Caesar salad for me and étouffée for Cassie, and we successfully silenced the rumbles from below. Our waitress brought the checks and also asked if we'd like to get lei'ed as she proffered Mardi Gras style beads. We then got a photo in front of the really cool flaming fountains in the restaurant courtyard.

We were fading with the daylight, but not ready to leave yet. Everything at CityWalk is wrapped around a central lake, so we took a walk around it and enjoyed the cooling evening, taking pictures as the mood struck.

I have a story about the Lone Palm TikiBar in the picture that I'll write about separately...

It was finally time to head out and go to our respective homes. It was a wonderful day, and it was an honor to share such a special day with my friend.

But that's not all! Don't answer yet, because if you order now, I'll tell another story!

July 4th, yesterday: Sue was going to head off to a pool party with a bunch of her friends, some of whom know what's going on with me, and others who don't yet. I'm not quite ready to be among a large group of people, having to continually make explanations, as friendly as they may be, especially if getting in the pool is required. The thought was a bit too much to bear, so I decided to stay home. Since solitary or small group pursuits were in the plans, I invited Cassie back with a variety of fun stuff at my place in mind. First up: get a flight in before the weather got bad. I had the plane ready when she arrived, and off we went. After takeoff, I said, "your airplane," and I talked Cassie through a flight to a local airport and a low pass down the runway. After we climbed out from there we traveled the 15 minutes to her house (which takes an hour by car), where we made a circle for pictures, then skedaddled for home, with heavy rain sneaking up from both sides.

After putting the plane away it was time for lunch: Chili dogs, potato salad, and various snacks and drinks. Exactly what the Fourth of July calls for. After a half hour, it was time to consider going swimming. I don't have my own pool, but we have permission to use a neighbor's who's out of town. I donned the same swimsuit that I'd worn to the beach a week or so ago, but this time, since there weren't any strangers around, I wore the bikini top instead of the longer one. It was quite a novel experience, and I loved it. I can trust all of you with a possibly unflattering picture, right??

After sitting in the pool and enjoying the same Cherry Pommes we enjoyed on the beach, until we were completely prunellated, we hiked back to the house and chilled out until it was time to quit for the day. It was a most excellent way to spend a holiday, with no crowds or noise. Extremely relaxing. That's my kind of holiday.

Stephanie

Assigned male at birth 1958 * Began envying sister 1963 * Knew unquestioningly that I was female 1968 * Acted the male part for 50 years * Meltdown and first therapist session May 2017 * Began HRT 6/21/17 * Out to the world 10/13/17 * Name Change 12/7/2017 (Girl Harbor Day) * FFS With FacialTeam 12/4/2018 * Facelift and Lipo Body Sculpting at Ocean Clinic 6/13-14/2019 * GCS with Marci Bowers 9/25/2019
  •  

Northern Star Girl

@Steph2.0
Dear Stephanie, what a fun filled and busy day that you had....  a great way to celebrate the special day for Cassie on Tuesday.
I can dispose of the Chocolate Almond bread for you....  it sounds like hazardous material to me.
ahh, people watching, my favorite passtime... you do realize however that they are watching you also... I always wonder what people watchers are thinking when they are watching me.???

Oh, you got the Mardi Gras style beads without lifting up your top???   You cheated!!!

One of these days you will have to get brave, wear your bikini and go to the pool with lots of onlookers around.... it is a gauntlet that one of these days you will be glad that you successfully passed through.

Oh yes indeed....Chili dogs, potato salad, and various snacks and drinks. Exactly what the Fourth of July calls for.

Yes, you can indeed trust your friends on the forums if you post your swimsuit picture.   Now you have teased us and we will be waiting, but no pressure, only post pictures if you feel comfortable doing so.

Thanks for posting your great update about you wonderful adventures.
Hugs and well wishes,
Danielle

•  

steph2.0

In my previous message I wrote that I had a story about the Lone Palm TikiBar in one of my pictures. I also wrote about my realization that I was living my life as me, existing as all the people swarming around me were living, body in harmony with mind.

I have been to Universal CityWalk many times in the 16 years since I moved to Florida. When I was there one time, the Lone Palm TikiBar outside of Jimmy Buffett's Margaritaville Restaurant and next to his Grumman Albatross seaplane caught my eye. I named my company Lone Palm Aero after the single palm tree on my property, and after Jimmy Buffett's song Lone Palm. (Yes, I admit that I'm a Parrothead, though a quiet one who enjoys Jimmy's ballads, instead of the falling-down-drunk-parking-lot-party kind.) When I saw the bar lit up with the neon Lone Palm sign, I thought it would be interesting to get a selfie in front of it. That was on January 4th, 2016.

Two and a half years ago I was living the life almost everyone here can remember. I was getting by and could feel a little happiness here and there, but life was mostly shades of gray, like a picture with the color saturation dialed way down. Life was simple,  but it was also wrong. I knew who I was inside, but I also knew it was impossible to do anything about it.

As Cassie and I sat in Toothsome's drinking our chocolate cherry mules, we compared pictures on our phones from similar dates in the past. Universally, all of them showed someone with sadness, or pain, or anger, or simple resignation in their eyes.

As we walked past the Lone Palm TikiBar on July 3rd, 2018, I told Cassie how I'd taken the selfie there almost exactly 2 1/2 years ago. She asked, why not recreate that picture? I was surprised to find the original on my phone, so I copied it to hers so I could reference it as I took the picture with my own phone.

So I present before and after pictures for comparison and contrast. The first as someone living the lie that we're all painfully familiar with, and the second as the person slowly becoming the contented, fulfilled woman she should always have been.

I see some of the same lines in the face, but there don't seem to be too many other similarities. I'll say no more - I'll let the reader decide if there are other improvements...

Stephanie

•  

Northern Star Girl

@Steph2.0
Dear Stephanie: 
A most interesting and very dramatic comparison in photos of you just 2 1/2 years apart.  You are definitely a beautiful woman, enjoy what you have and what you are now.
Thank you for posting.... it was great to see your progress.
Hugs,
Danielle

•  

Jayne01

Stephanie, that is not the same person in those before and after pictures! I would not have picked the first pic as you in a million years. The change is incredible! And then there is that huge smile in the second picture, you look so happy now.

Jayne
  •  

steph2.0

@Alaskan Danielle , I can always count on you to be fast with an uplifting reply!

Chocolate almond bread: Oh no, dear, I insist you let me handle the hazardous duty of properly disposing of it. I'm well trained and certified and I wouldn't want to see you get hurt. As you would be if you tried to stop me from performing my duty. It is chocolate after all.

As for people watching, it seems that people actually are not looking back. All the paranoia I used to harbor, worrying about what people were thinking about me seems to be misplaced. Unless you do something outrageous to draw attention to yourself, people are too busy doing their own thing to worry about you. And if they do look, a smile is the best weapon to use to disarm them.

Beads: Well, at this point lifting my top would probably only get me a few beads - not strings of beads, but individual beads. So I'm glad I wasn't asked.

Yes, you're right that eventually I will be comfortable enough to attend one of those parties. There's little doubt in my mind that by this time next year I'll be ready, especially if I've had FFS and GCS by then. Right now, though, I'm actually more comfortable around strangers than people who knew me before. I mean, who really wants to spend a holiday among people who are sure to deadname and misgender you all day, even unintentionally. That's not my definition of a fun, relaxing day. A day among strangers who know no different, or among a small group of trusted friends is much more comfortable.

As for the swimsuit pic, you may have replied before I'd had a chance to attach the pictures. Lately I've been typing the text on the web interface on my laptop, then going back in to add pics via Tapatalk, since it's a lot easier to let them host them. Take another look at my entry and you'll see that picture on all its gory (spelling deliberate).

Thanks for the nice comments!

Stephanie

•  

steph2.0

Quote from: Jayne01 on July 06, 2018, 01:21:40 AM
Stephanie, that is not the same person in those before and after pictures! I would not have picked the first pic as you in a million years. The change is incredible! And then there is that huge smile in the second picture, you look so happy now.

Jayne

Thank you, Jayne. As usual, no matter how hard I try, I still see too much of "him" in all my pictures. But I won't deny the smile part!

Stephanie

•  

Jayne01

Quote from: Steph2.0 on July 06, 2018, 01:51:12 AM
Thank you, Jayne. As usual, no matter how hard I try, I still see too much of "him" in all my pictures. But I won't deny the smile part!

Stephanie
Seeing some of "him" may not be such a bad thing. Without "him" you wouldn't be the person you are today, and you are pretty cool!

Hugs,
Jayne
  •  

KathyLauren

Wow, Steph, what a difference in your before and after Lone Palm photos!  I don't know who the miserable dude is that you got to pose for the first photo, but he bears no resemblance to the smiling lady in the second.
2015-07-04 Awakening; 2015-11-15 Out to self; 2016-06-22 Out to wife; 2016-10-27 First time presenting in public; 2017-01-20 Started HRT!!; 2017-04-20 Out publicly; 2017-07-10 Legal name change; 2019-02-15 Approval for GRS; 2019-08-02 Official gender change; 2020-03-11 GRS; 2020-09-17 New birth certificate
  •  

Kendra

Quote from: Steph2.0 on July 05, 2018, 10:42:40 PM
> As we walked past the Lone Palm TikiBar on July 3rd, 2018, I told Cassie how I'd taken the selfie there almost exactly 2 1/2 years ago. She asked, why not recreate that picture? I was surprised to find the original on my phone, so I copied it to hers so I could reference it as I took the picture with my own phone.

An incredible difference.  Those two photos speak volumes. 

The difference between getting by, and truly experiencing life. 
Assigned male at birth 1963.  Decided I wanted to be a girl in 1971.  Laser 2014-16, electrolysis 2015-17, HRT 7/2017, GCS 1/2018, VFS 3/2018, FFS 5/2018, Labiaplasty & BA 7/2018. 
  •  

davina61

As they say a picture can speak volumes , hope you disposed of the bio-hazard safely
a long time coming (out) HRT 12 2017
GRS 2021 5th Nov

Jill of all trades mistress of non
Know a bit about everything but not enough to be clever
  •  

steph2.0

Quote from: davina61 on July 06, 2018, 03:23:35 PM
As they say a picture can speak volumes , hope you disposed of the bio-hazard safely

I did! But there's always more. It's a tough job, but a girl's got to do what a girl's got to do.

Stephanie

•  

Stevi

Stephanie,

I have been incommunicado for a spell.  Just catching up.  I am sorry to hear of the fits your health care provider types are giving you.  But I see there has been a lot of good going on in your life.  I am really happy for you.  Just had to let you know I am out here watching and smiling along with  you.

Stevi
  •  

steph2.0

Quote from: Stevi on July 06, 2018, 10:19:51 PM
Stephanie,

I have been incommunicado for a spell.  Just catching up.  I am sorry to hear of the fits your health care provider types are giving you.  But I see there has been a lot of good going on in your life.  I am really happy for you.  Just had to let you know I am out here watching and smiling along with  you.

Stevi

Well, hi there Stevi,

Welcome back and thanks for riding along on my adventures. Yes, right now I am smiling. I'm glad you are, too!

Stephanie

•  

steph2.0

Back on June 30th I wrote about my appointment with an FFS clinic here in Florida. After freaking out about the high price, I thought I'd look into FacialTeam in Spain at the recommendation of a dear friend. They do Skype consultations, but before they'll schedule anything they want some pictures to work from.

You are required to pull your hair back, take off your glasses, have minimal makeup, have a neutral expression, and have good light with a neutral background. We set up for the pictures and took a full set: front, side, and 45 degrees.

Looking at those pictures was one of the most dysphoric, horrific things I've done in a long time. "He" is so obvious in them. All the flaws stand out in stark relief. I understand that FacialTeam needs completely honest pictures, so I did what I had to do, but those pictures are getting buried deep.

I had no idea how much my presentation was affecting the way I, and apparently the rest of the world, see me. I know now that the raw material isn't much to work with, but the end result is okay.

In any case, I sent in the pictures and the consultation request on July 5th, and got a response this morning. It was the email equivalent of, "Your call is important to us. Please hold and your call will be answered in the order received." But that's fine. They will apparently contact me with a proposed consultation date and time. I hope it's not in the middle of the night, considering they're six hours ahead of us. But whatever time they pick, you can bet I'll be there.

Stephanie

•  

Northern Star Girl

@Steph2.0
Dear Stephanie:   I am not certain if I should say congratulations about the promised appointment for FFS ... or I am sorry that you are going through the stress and the un-tolerable waiting for what may or may not come next for you.

Please allow me to send you lots of my hugs and more hugs....
I am trusting that you will get the news that you are seeking.
I will be following your thread as I always am to look for your next update.

Hugs, and well wishes,
Danielle

•  

steph2.0

Hello Danielle,

Oh, congratulations are fine. I'm doing well, but hugs are always appreciated!

Knowing the raw stock I have to work with just gives me more motivation to make improvements. Since I'm getting by as is, anything that improves the base will just make the end result even better. I'm looking forward in eager anticipation to learn what their recommendations are. Whatever they say, I'm fairly convinced that a trip to Spain is in my future.

I've never been to Spain, but I kind of like the music. [emoji16]

Stephanie

•