Susan's Place Logo

News:

According to Google Analytics 25,259,719 users made visits accounting for 140,758,117 Pageviews since December 2006

Main Menu

Different types of voice surgeries and their pros and cons

Started by Lauren O, September 06, 2017, 07:55:02 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Lauren O

Heya ladies
Back again to make a request of your collective wisdom.
I have a few different voice surgeries available to me and i'm trying to choose which one to go for.
Cricothyroid approximation (CTA) - I know this one has a few problems with voice outcome ie. falsetto and limited range
Laryngofissure with direct vocal fold shortening - don't know anything about this one
Glottic webbing and shortening VF - don't know anything about it
Feminisation laryngoplasty (FemLar) devised by Dr James Thomas, Oregon USA - don't know anything about it.

Could anyone offer any advice on the options I have. Which one has the best results etc. ?
HRT January 2012
BA November 2013 - Kamol Institute, Bangkok SRS April 2018, PAI, Bangkok Thailand
  •  

Dena

CTA should be avoided unless other procedures don't produce the required shift in pitch. Two years ago I looked at Dr Thomas and the procedure was reconstruction of the larynx. I wasn't impressed with the outcomes but I don't know what procedure he is currently using and what the outcome is. Vocal fold shorting seems to be pretty reliable and it's the surgery I had. Yeson and Dr Haben both preform the procedure but there are differences in they approach. I have seen good voices from both surgeons but everybody has their personal preference. I picked Dr Haben because I suspected I might require CTA in order to get sufficient range however it wasn't needed. If you look at Dr Haben's web site you will see the basics that will help you decided on a surgeon. If your voice is mid range male, either surgeon should produce acceptable results.
Rebirth Date 1982 - PMs are welcome - Use [email]dena@susans.org[/email] or Discord if your unable to PM - Skype is available - My Transition
If you are helped by this site, consider leaving a tip in the jar at the bottom of the page or become a subscriber
  •